PDA

View Full Version : Walmart and the legacy collection

gba88
11-09-2009, 05:24 AM
So, yesterday morning as I neared the SW section I was overcome with shock and awe...I could see that a bunch of new SW figures had been put out for the first time in about a month or better. All hope was instantly CRUSHED though as I arrive and see 8 FREAKING pegs of FULLY stocked clone wars figures!!!!!!!! I'm SO SICK of the clone wars crap.

I think I read somewhere on here about a hasbro rep saying that they were taking their focus off of WM, but geez, are they not getting ANYTHING these days? The only place I've seen the wave with rum sleg (never actually saw *him* -had to go to ebay for that), but anyway I've only ever seen the remnants of that wave at kmart and TRU. Lately, I've found new figures at TRU and target though. The problem is that the nearest TRU and target are an hour away, and there's a WM across the road. Any comments or info, please post. Thanks :)

darthbooger
11-09-2009, 06:50 AM
I cant believe that Hasbro would take their focus off the largest retailer in the world unless they wanted to lose a bunch of money. As far as walmart stock is concerned , I know they only tend to re-order large amounts of what sells the most. And I fault for Hasbro for the shortage of Legacy figures because I am positive there are less Legacy figures produced then there are Clone Wars. I've been looking for a Rum Slegg for at least three months now lol.:ninja:

autumnsdescent
11-09-2009, 08:40 AM
If you want Rum Sleg, try your local Kohl's store. Figures retail there for $10.99 but Kohl's often holds weekly sales that bring figures down to $8.99. While that price is not great, it sure beats going to e-bay or another internet retailer and paying much higher prices to find what you're after.

I've managed to find TPM wave in plenty in Indiana Kohl's stores.

Good hunting!

-A-

gba88
11-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the replies! Yeah, I think I paid about 16 shipped for my Rum Sleg. I don't have a kohl's either!! My brother out east has found stuff before though at kohl's. I'm in western pa btw.

There is some j@ck @ss that hits the TRU that I go to that is about an hour away, and he's buying all of the mcquarrie 1 of 2 packs!!!!! I have no idea why, and almost wonder if he's buying for a store like bbts or something. He left about 6 of the 2 of 2s. Luckily, I picked one up, but the week before, i saw him walk off with 2, then another one this past week. I think the same guy might have bought about 4 dewbacks too saturday morning (which again, luckily I picked one up b4 he arrived). I didn't think ppl were still scalping SW stuff these days...guess i was wrong. I wish he was buying up all of the clone wars stuff!........hm...then again...they'd prob. just order more!!!!

JediTricks
11-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Hasbro is NOT taking their focus off WM, they just said that WM is far and away the top selling toy retailer in the country and that holds true for SW, significantly higher than the #2 seller. Hasbro says the CW figures are selling well and that's what retailers are ordering more of, and that with less collectors in the Legacy Collection line, they have had to find the proper balance of lower production to ensure its continuation.

WM distribution is probably your main culprit, they are especially fickle, worse than TRU and Target. That or the customers in your area are gobbling up TLC figs faster than you can get to them, but that's unlikely seeing as A) the brand ain't that popular right now; and B) there would be remnants.

I've been looking for the Ep 1 wave for a while too, missed too much of it on HasbroToyShop. Target had a lone Amidala from that wave, but generally this wave is scalperbait right now. I suspect we'll start seeing more as "first in, last out" shipping containers hit more retailers as sales ramp up for the holiday.

El Chuxter
11-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Scalperbait? Dang, maybe I should start snatching up the figures when I see them for other people. (Okay, it's mostly Amidala, who I hate to admit is a pegwarmer, and the occasional Clegg, Gungan, or Rum. I don't think I've seen Obi-Wan a second time, and very rarely have seen Sidious.)

JediTricks
11-09-2009, 04:19 PM
I want a Gungan and Rum Slegg and Holo Sidious, have never ever seen them ever ever. Living in LA sucks for this sort of thing. The whole wave is hard to find around here.

DarkJedi5
11-09-2009, 06:34 PM
I want a Gungan and Rum Slegg and Holo Sidious, have never ever seen them ever ever. Living in LA sucks for this sort of thing. The whole wave is hard to find around here.

Ditto in NorCal, the only TPM figure I've seen on the pegs was a gungan which I bought. If I weren't getting most of my figs via the internet I'd be outraged at how bad distribution seems to be these days.

morpheus282
11-09-2009, 08:19 PM
With the current problems finding figures, maybe we should keep an online wish list for trading?

pbarnard
11-09-2009, 08:24 PM
With the current problems finding figures, maybe we should keep an online wish list for trading?

This paid endorsement for Collectionstation.com by SirSteve is brought to you by SirSTeve and Collectionstation.com. :thumbsup: (I want my nickle JT/Steve!!!)

I'm going to go with JT and add, that WM distribution is also being affected by the economy as well (some of us hadn't seen anythign new between March and now with respect to Legacy). It's not that Legacy/BAD isn't popular, just Clone Wars is more popular. Plus if Hasbro's research shows that kids are buying Clone Wars, and adult collectors are buying Legacy, guess what, Hasbro will always go the kids direction.

morpheus282
11-10-2009, 06:09 AM
This paid endorsement for Collectionstation.com by SirSteve is brought to you by SirSTeve and Collectionstation.com. :thumbsup: (I want my nickle JT/Steve!!!)

That would work if I could ever get logged in. :cry:

The gungan and Sidious were the only two from the TPM I actually saw in the wild. I may just start buying every new figure even if I don't want it in case someone else didn't see it.

pbarnard
11-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Wow, 3 weeks and a whole new wave. After seeing the TPM wave, the ANH wave and Dewback was there when I went for a little stroll after leaving work at 1 AM last night/this morning/ummm, I gotta be back soon enough.

Obsession is Nute
11-11-2009, 12:53 PM

Wow, that really suprises me! I would think that being such a large market and being on the West Coast would translate into LA getting product shipped from the factories in China, first.

On the other side, I can also imagine that the population density in a market like LA would mean a really vicious collecting crowd, where new shippments get gobbled up immediately.

I check my stores weekly, but I don't get up at 7:00 in the morning, every day to snatch up new stuff.

TPM arrived in central Iowa in the last week of September and ran through in October, but it was primarily in Target stores. You had to be on the ball with it though, because they dissapeared quickly.

Our TRU has nothing and has had nothing this past year. I wrote them a letter last month letting them know I am pretty much done with them. If their strategy is to maintain zero inventory for 11 months out of the year, I am not going to waste my time looking for stuff. I don't know what their business model is, but it apparently doesn't want to compete with Walmart and Target for the collecting crowd.

Return of the Jedi hit here a couple of weeks ago and appears to be in larger quantities than TPM, completing the wave was not difficult. I found the ANH wave in a small Minnesota community Walmart this past Sunday. I can't make heads or tails of how that happened.

The big question for me is whether or not my area will get to the ESB wave before the New Year. I remember that last year, the repaint wave appeared to make one shipment and then the ROTS wave arrived in force in time for Christmas.

bigbarada
11-11-2009, 11:24 PM
I have a loose Rum Sleg that I dont' really have much use for. I'd be happy to trade him to anyone who has actually seen the ROTJ or ANH wave in stores. Primarily Slave Leia, Malakili, Scanning Crew Trooper or Hrchek Kal Fas.

JediTricks
11-14-2009, 03:52 AM
Wow, that really suprises me! I would think that being such a large market and being on the West Coast would translate into LA getting product shipped from the factories in China, first.It often does, but as you point out...

On the other side, I can also imagine that the population density in a market like LA would mean a really vicious collecting crowd, where new shippments get gobbled up immediately.Yes, that is a MASSIVE part of it. Doubly so since not only do we have more collectors, but more scalpers to take advantage of the situation.

I have a loose Rum Sleg that I dont' really have much use for. I'd be happy to trade him to anyone who has actually seen the ROTJ or ANH wave in stores. Primarily Slave Leia, Malakili, Scanning Crew Trooper or Hrchek Kal Fas.I wish I could take you up on that offer, I ordered 2 of those, missed ordering 1, and haven't seen Malakili in stores again since I found my lone one.