PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: From the mouths of babes

El Chuxter
11-09-2009, 01:06 PM
My 3-year-old daughter has said some pretty neat things about Star Wars recently.

Return of the Jedi was on. She knew it was Star Wars from the opening credits. But, almost immediately, she kept saying, "I don't like this Star Wars. I want another Star Wars." She kept this up until Chewbacca showed up. "Oh. I like him. He is a good Star Wars." (It was then that I realized "Star Wars" was not only the name of the movie, but the name of every single character as well.)

A week or so ago, I was flipping through channels, and gave up on an episode of Clone Wars. She watched for a minute or two and started asking questions. She informed me that Anakin and Padme were "not real" and had "bad eyes." They were not Luke's Mommy and Daddy and I should not say that; it was not nice. She only liked C-3PO. I believe she was mocking the character designs and animation. I'm not 100% sure.

Yesterday morning, we were looking through the Wal-Mart catalog that came in the paper. She saw the Dewback. "Oh, a dinosaur! I love dinosaurs!" She looked at it for a few more seconds and said, "There is someone riding him. So he is a bicycle dinosaur."

pbarnard
11-09-2009, 01:12 PM
In a few weeks, I'll give a scene by scene acount of what makes a newborn cry, dirty his diaper, etc. Reminds me of the Slate article you panned in which the author's boys and friends were debating when Anakin turned bad, Obi-Wan and Jedi philosophy etc. Stupid mother, yes, but Star Wars safe for another generation, that's all we need to have.

mtriv73
11-09-2009, 02:37 PM
My son gets absolutely giddy when we watch the Clone Wars Cartoon. (He's only 2 so we record it and watch it Saturday mornings.)

He loves the original trilogy too. Goo-gah (which is what he calls Vader becuase of his breathing) and R2 are his absolute favorites.

So yeah, I think the next generation will pick up on our love of SW as well.

JediTricks
11-09-2009, 04:05 PM
(It was then that I realized "Star Wars" was not only the name of the movie, but the name of every single character as well.)Marge Simpson taking care of the Flanders kids was the first to make this happen.

So, was your kid unhappy with ROTJ because it was scary, because not much was happening yet, or at 3 years old was she just noticing how mediocre Marquand's directing was on the picture? ;)

A week or so ago, I was flipping through channels, and gave up on an episode of Clone Wars. She watched for a minute or two and started asking questions. She informed me that Anakin and Padme were "not real" and had "bad eyes." They were not Luke's Mommy and Daddy and I should not say that; it was not nice. She only liked C-3PO. I believe she was mocking the character designs and animation. I'm not 100% sure.I doubt kids that young can get the idea of abstract art, which the CW human designs definitely fall under. Or maybe she just has no taste for the prequel concepts.

Yesterday morning, we were looking through the Wal-Mart catalog that came in the paper. She saw the Dewback. "Oh, a dinosaur! I love dinosaurs!" She looked at it for a few more seconds and said, "There is someone riding him. So he is a bicycle dinosaur."Tell it to Reader's Digest pal. :p

(That was cute)

Goo-gah (which is what he calls Vader becuase of his breathing) Seriously now, these stories should be sold to Reader's Digest. They're in bankruptcy so they can't afford to pay you. ;)

Ando
11-09-2009, 04:45 PM
My oldest nephew (4 yo) spent the night a few months back during the summer and my wife picked him up from preschool/day care and took him to TRU to get something for me because I'd had a particularly rough week at work.

She already knew what she wanted to get for me (LEGO CW Y Wing) but asked him what he thought they should get for me.

His response: "A Star Wars toys. That will make him happy."

He also loves my Turbo Tank and loves to shoot the missiles at me and my wife so he's getting 1 for Christmas along with my brother's GF's son (5 yo). They get along with each other and love Star Wars so it will be fun to watch them play with them.

sith_killer_99
11-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Bicycle Dinosaur!:laugh:

My daughter is a huge Star Wars fan. She has a lot of figures she has collected over the years. In fact almost all of the Star Wars toys I have bought over the least 3 years have been for her.

I took her to Celebration III back before ROTS came out. She had a great time, but the Stormtroopers and Darth vader scared the carp out of her.

When we first walked in she looked up, saw a Stormtrooper and ran back out the door!

She did enjoy meeting various Princess Leia's and Padme's and I got a lot of pictures of her with them. I was going to try to get her picture with R2-D2, but she's more of a C-3PO fan....I don't know where she gets that from.:(

Anyways, she also love the Clone Wars cartoon, I took her to see the movie when it came out.

So, yeah, she's a big fan.

My son is only 7 months old, so we will see if he becomes a fan or not, but it's highly likely.:yes:

DarkJedi5
11-10-2009, 10:11 AM
I took her to Celebration III back before ROTS came out. She had a great time, but the Stormtroopers and Darth vader scared the carp out of her.

When we first walked in she looked up, saw a Stormtrooper and ran back out the door!

That's hilarious! When we were 5 and 3 my folks took my little brother and I to the Marin County fair where Lucasfilm was doing an exposť with some of the models and costumes from the Star Wars films and Willow and such and we had the exact same reaction to the character actors wearing Stormtrooper armor that were marching around the fairgrounds. I think it took my folks about half an hour to talk us out of the bushes we dove into. Funy how at that age there's just no question that it's real.