PDA

View Full Version : To quote Vader, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"

El Chuxter
11-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry has said that singer Steven Tyler has quit the band "as far as I can tell."

Perry's comments follow those of rhythm guitarist Brad Whitford, who last week (November 6) said that Aerosmith are to hold crisis talks about their future after relations with Tyler became strained.

Now Perry has confirmed that Tyler is unlikely to perform with the band again.

"Steven quit as far as I can tell," he told the Las Vegas Sun, adding that the singer "has had no contact with me or the other band members."

The past few months have blighted with problems for Aerosmith. In August Tyler was airlifted to hospital after falling offstage at a gig in Dakota. As a result, the band were forced to cancel a U.S. tour.

Reacting to Tyler's supposed departure, Perry vowed to carry on with Aerosmith. He echoed Whitford's recent comments by saying he is considering replacing Tyler with a new vocalist.

"Right now I'm adjusting to how we're going to go on," Perry explained. "Aerosmith is such a powerful band, I mean it's like a steam locomotive. You just can't disregard 40 years of four guys who play together as well as they do.

"As far as replacing Steve, it's not just about that, it's also four guys that play extremely well together, and I'm not going to see that go to waste. I really don't know what path it's going to take at this point, but we'll probably find somebody else that will sing in those spots where we need a singer."

In a recent interview with Classic Rock magazine, Tyler said he wants to concentrate on "Brand Tyler."

Anyone want to go kick Steven Tyler in the nutz? I'll go halfsies on plane tickets. I wonder if Rick Dufay or Jimmy Crespo can sing.

JediTricks
11-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Again with this? How many times can a band break up? After the Britney debacle, I think it's been all downhill so a break or even breakup can only help things.

Nobody can replace Steven Tyler in singing, not even close. Maybe he should retire though since he's turning into an elderly woman.

2-1B
11-09-2009, 06:45 PM
It's all gonna blow over, they'll be back next year to commemorate 40 years on the scene. Or so I believe.

And if I'm wrong and their last album was Honkin' on Bobo (one of their top 5 in my book!) and my last gig was in June 2009, I can live with it. I'm bummed that our show in August got canceled but it's still been a good run for me.

I don't want them touring as Aero without Steven (and I believe they won't) but if the remaining 4 wanted to play with a new singer under a new handle, I would be eager to see/hear them play. So much gold to mine from that back catalog that would be great to hear live. Chux, let me issue a disclaimer that if said "replacement" is Hagen, then I RETRACT my statement here. ;)

If Steven needs a kick, I think Joe could use one as well...he's been way too public with his comments (and his wife Yoko Perry's comments) that I think they are all looking bad in this. And really guys, you're my favorite band and always will be, but the majority of the public doesn't really care anymore.

JT, in fairness to the break ups, how many are you talking about? The bottom fell out in 1980 and the ensuing 60% Aero era of Rock in a Hard Place...and it almost blew up in 1997 but it was nothing official. This isn't official either but even if it turns out to be official, that's 2 legitimate public breakups in a nearly 40 year career. Most bands don't make it half as long. lollollol

Darth Jax
11-09-2009, 07:15 PM
so far it's just steve not talking to any of the others. 3 months isn't long to keep to yourself in the rock world, after falling off the stage he still may not know his own name - let alone other people's phone numbers.

his manager needs to be fired if he thinks that there's any future for tyler as a solo act.

El Chuxter
11-09-2009, 08:50 PM
He's been supposedly working on a solo album "hitting shelves next year" for the better part of a decade.

sith_killer_99
11-09-2009, 10:09 PM
He's been supposedly working on a solo album "hitting shelves next year" for the better part of a decade.

That's a long time to be working on a solo album! Is "hitting shelves next year" just a working title or is it like, based off a song from the album?:laugh:

2-1B
11-09-2009, 10:35 PM
so far it's just steve not talking to any of the others. 3 months isn't long to keep to yourself in the rock world, after falling off the stage he still may not know his own name - let alone other people's phone numbers.

his manager needs to be fired if he thinks that there's any future for tyler as a solo act.

Exactly, Steven is mad at the band and they aren't talking. Then Joe continues his silly PR campaign (really Joe, you need to use Twitter that much???) and makes assumptions about Steven quitting, quickly turning a feud between ~60 year old Rock Legends into something reminiscent of a Lindsay Lohan / Miley Ray Cyrus spat. It's really dumb to play this stuff out in the press, letting it escalate that quickly.

They should just STFU and figure it out privately, then make an announcement whatever that may be. And if Steven is off the wagon and not talking to anyone, well then just STFU up for awhile and wait it out for awhile...much like Tom Hamilton said. :)

I also agree with what Jax said about Tyler as a solo act - there's no future in it. I'm DYING for a new Aerosmith record but even if/when that is released, it's not going to sell very well IMO. It will do better than Joe's latest solo disc and would probably out-sell Perry and Tyler solo discs combined, but it still won't be a huge deal. That ship has sailed. Doesn't mean it couldn't kick butt, though. :)

El Chuxter
11-10-2009, 01:48 AM
I find that a lot of older bands that are still together put out albums that are as good as or better than their previous work. It's almost as if they realize the entertainment industry won't promote them, so they have to at least try to be better than they've ever been. Off the top of my head, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp, and Bon Jovi consistently put out music that should be topping the charts the way they did two or three decades ago. I think Honkin' On Bobo is one of Aerosmith's best albums ever, and not just because I dig the blues songs they covered. Aerosmith going under the radar like that (since it was obvious the music biz had no idea what to do with a popular rock band that wasn't the White Stripes covering songs that were, in some cases, 80 years old) could be a good thing. I'd rather not have another Just Push Play anytime soon. (Take away "Jaded," and that's probably their weakest album, or a close runner up to Done With Mirrors.)

Darth Jax
11-10-2009, 08:36 AM
That's a long time to be working on a solo album! Is "hitting shelves next year" just a working title or is it like, based off a song from the album?:laugh:

he's channeling axl rose

El Chuxter
11-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Hopefully it'd be more worth the wait, if it ever happens.

JimJamBonds
11-10-2009, 07:18 PM
...and it almost blew up in 1997 but it was nothing official.

Is that with Joey where he threatened to leave and they ended up having to rerecord his drum parts because he wasn't happy with them?

2-1B
11-11-2009, 01:03 AM
Is that with Joey where he threatened to leave and they ended up having to rerecord his drum parts because he wasn't happy with them?

Yeah, something about Joey and his nearly going crazy...he writes about it in his book that came out recently (I bought it but didn't read it yet). At the time, I just knew that they scrapped a good amount of the recordings for Nine Lives and the band fired the manager I think for some form of shenanigans.

Anyway, Steven Tyler appeared on stage tonight with The Joe Perry Project and sang Walk this Way, so that's cool. :)
I'm sure there's plenty of saltiness to work through (as usual) but he's not leaving and they aren't replacing him (unless he dies of a drug overdose or something).

autumnsdescent
11-12-2009, 03:18 PM
From http://new.music.yahoo.com/aerosmith/news/tyler-onstage-with-perry-says-not-leaving-aerosmith--61802351

Aerosmith future still in doubt despite reunion
Reuters, Nov 11, 2009 6:00 pm PST

Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler joined estranged bandmate Joe Perry on stage in New York in hopes of setting the record straight about the future of the feuding rock group.

"New York, I want you to know I'm not leaving Aerosmith," Tyler told fans in a surprise appearance on Tuesday night at a concert by Perry's solo side project, music web site NME.com reported.

Tyler, 61 and Perry, his songwriting partner of 40 years, then launched into a version of "Walk This Way", one of Aerosmith's biggest hits, NME.com said.

The future of the band has been in doubt since a North American tour was cut short in August when Tyler fell off stage, and relations between Perry and Tyler deteriorated to a low this week with bitter Twitter messages and cryptic asides about whether Tyler is still with the band.

Perry, who said earlier this week that the band was "positively" seeking a new singer, indicated on Wednesday that all was still not well in the band. In an interview with Rolling Stone, he referred to Tyler as an "acquaintance."

"He wants to take two years off from the band," Perry told the magazine. "The rest of the band wants to keep on working. We have so many different options to fill up that time. Anything is possible at this point. Basically, any communication that we've had over the last couple of months has been through managers, so that's been pretty strange."

Tyler, on the other hand, told celebrity web site TMZ.com after Tuesday's appearance that "There is absolutely no validity to the rumor that Aerosmith is breaking up."

Perry told Rolling Stone that he was just as surprised as the fans when Tyler showed up at the venue, and asked to sing the encore tune.

"Being an acquaintance of 40 years, I said, 'Why not?'" Perry said. " So he came up and sang and that was the last I saw of him."

(Reporting by Dean Goodman: Editing by Jill Serjeant)

JimJamBonds
11-22-2009, 01:08 PM
I think Honkin' On Bobo is one of Aerosmith's best albums ever, and not just because I dig the blues songs they covered.

I got a copy of Bobo from my local library the other day and I'm totally diggin' it. I like how they kept the songs 'blusey' and with that in mind Mr. Tyler kept his vocal shenanigan's off this record.

2-1B
11-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Define "shenanigans."

JimJamBonds
11-22-2009, 06:17 PM
Define "shenanigans."

Mainly singing/speaking nonsense words that I don't even think Steveo knows what he is saying/their meaning, ie. scat singing.

2-1B
11-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Duly noted.
You can blame "Mother Popcorn" for that, though.
lol

JimJamBonds
11-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Duly noted.
You can blame "Mother Popcorn" for that, though.
lol

Ummm what?

2-1B
11-22-2009, 10:41 PM
recorded by James Brown 40 years ago but periodically covered by Aerosmith (and Blues Brothers) throughout their career.
It's usually done as a short intro to Walk This Way but here's a full (and awesome) rendition:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbDJRJ8Z6W4
I'd say the lyrics in that clip are maybe 75% understandable. lol

Darth Jax
11-22-2009, 11:39 PM
think you forgot a decimal point - that should've been 7.5%

JimJamBonds
11-23-2009, 07:31 AM
recorded by James Brown 40 years ago but periodically covered by Aerosmith (and Blues Brothers) throughout their career.
It's usually done as a short intro to Walk This Way but here's a full (and awesome) rendition:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbDJRJ8Z6W4
I'd say the lyrics in that clip are maybe 75% understandable. lol

Gotcha, thanks.

JimJamBonds
01-02-2010, 05:31 PM
I saw the other day that Stephen entered rehab, apparently he's gotten hooked on the pain killers he's taken over the years from various surgeries.

2-1B
01-02-2010, 10:55 PM
yeah, he was in for treatment in 2008 and back in again now. Better to periodically get rehabbed than end up killing yourself via overdose or some sort of self-induced train wreck.

And his comments recently sound like we could be getting something new later this year if not next year, so I'm crossing my fingers for that. If they ever get around to finishing this album, it will mark the FIFTH decade in which they'll have released something. :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
01-03-2010, 10:46 AM
And his comments recently sound like we could be getting something new later this year if not next year, so I'm crossing my fingers for that. If they ever get around to finishing this album, it will mark the FIFTH decade in which they'll have released something. :thumbsup:

Woooo wait... so they were working on some new stuff??? Or at least to some degree? Cool!

2-1B
01-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Well, they owe Sony one more record...preferably not another lame compilation (+2 new tunes) like they did in 2006, but they are contractually obligated to do a record. There were rumors that they were revisiting some old discarded b-sides/jams and retooling them into a new record which would hopefully turn out well. Mr. Joe F***in' Perry was quoted during the recent soap opera about how he was/is salty that he and Tyler haven't written a song together in over a decade, so who knows...maybe this recent public blowup will get the creative juices flowing and they'll knock something solid out of their systems. Wishful thinking, I'm sure, but I can hope. :p

I have NO problem with them calling it quits at any time but I just want them to go out in a positive state of mind, not the recent shenanigans that played out in the public realm last year.

JimJamBonds
01-04-2010, 07:48 AM
Interesting news there 2-1B, thanks for the intel. :)

Darth Jax
01-31-2010, 02:08 PM
so how many people has joe indicated he'd prefer to have as lead singer of aerosmith in the last month or so... i'm aware of paul rodgers and billy idol... any others?

steven is back in rehab for painkillers, maybe touring with the crue has contributed to joe falling of the wagon and needing a little rehabbing of his own.

2-1B
01-31-2010, 02:53 PM
Chris Cornell's name was rumored as well...I think getting that guy would be a horrible mistake. :dead:

Hey Jax, since you mentioned Crue, maybe Joe should ask John Corabi to fill in on vox. lol

Darth Jax
01-31-2010, 03:09 PM
i've heard other peoples rumored (or wished for by fans). from the strange - bob dylan, to the plausible - sebastian bach (who at one point could reach the high notes like tyler). just didn't know if the true fans round here (i'm looking in your direction caes and chux) had heard joe mention any others.

it wouldn't be aerosmith without the toxic twins, so if joe manages to recruit another singer and the rest of the band sticks around without steven i would hope they could change their name.

El Chuxter
01-31-2010, 07:36 PM
I've not heard mention of anyone else. Maybe they'll break up and bring Rick Dufay in to sing. lol

I wouldn't mind getting Paul Rodgers, so he's not with Queen anymore and they can find someone who is a better replacement for Freddie. I'd heard George Michael's name tossed around years ago, and he'd be a fine choice, at least for the slower numbers.

JimJamBonds
02-01-2010, 07:37 AM
Wow! All terrible TERRIBLE choices folks!