PDA

View Full Version : Dewback

Darth Jax
11-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Wal-Mart is starting to receive the Dewback. Found mine on an endcap with the AT-ST. He's roughly a full head longer than the old one and doesn't have the perpetual snarl.

DarkJedi5
11-10-2009, 11:20 PM
The dewback is pretty perfect, I just wish his mouth could open.

El Chuxter
11-13-2009, 10:04 PM
I saw two today. Believe it or not, even with my Dewback fetish, I passed. I was a little surprised, and hope it doesn't bite me in the butt. Neither Sandtrooper looked passable, and, for $30, I want them to look good. I'm hoping an overpriced exclusive (it is about six inches less than I thought, for some reason) that's in their catalog should be available at at least one more store.

bigbarada
11-13-2009, 10:22 PM
I saw two today. Believe it or not, even with my Dewback fetish, I passed. I was a little surprised, and hope it doesn't bite me in the butt. Neither Sandtrooper looked passable, and, for $30, I want them to look good. I'm hoping an overpriced exclusive (it is about six inches less than I thought, for some reason) that's in their catalog should be available at at least one more store.

I was lucky enough to get a decent paint job the first time I saw these. Then about 20 more showed up and I was able to buy a second one with an excellent paint job. I never even gave the price a second thought, until I picked up a third one and had to return it.

morpheus282
11-18-2009, 09:38 PM
I love this set, but there's no way I could buy three of them. Two would be stretching it due to the price. The paint job on mine looks good, but I can't get the trooper to sit on the saddle without looking a little funny.

JEDIpartner
11-20-2009, 10:59 AM
I wasn't that impressed with it in the sense that it doesn't represent either of the two designs that were featured in the films.

Cane_Adiss
11-24-2009, 11:07 AM
I just got mine the other day (along with an Utai, Jawa and the Gelagrub set. Score!) and I was pretty happy with it. It's difficult to pose the Stormtrooper so he sits well on its back but otherwise it makes for a great toy.

I think this will be a popular item w/ kids since the Walmart I got mine from had about 20 of them and now they're down to two! The Gelagrub pack seems to be doing well too suprisingly.

I do agree with the sentiment that it doesn't accurately represent what was seen onscreen in the movies though. It's a little more dinosaurish than I remember the Dewbacks being if that makes any sense.

morpheus282
11-24-2009, 08:13 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds the hip joints a little odd, ergo giving me fits trying to make the trooper look normal on the back of the critter.

If I remember correctly, this dewback design was from the prequels whereas the old dewback design was taken from the OT. I've had the 12" scale dewback on display since '02 or so (can't remember when I got it) and the WM exclusive looks exactly like a shrunken version of it. With the new and POTF versions on display side by side, they look like two different species of dewback.

Qui-Long Gone
11-27-2009, 10:38 AM
I'll be getting this creature...but I think the head is smaller than the original design from ANH...

El Chuxter
12-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Are these still showing up anywhere? Still no sign at any local WM other than that one, and they're long gone there. I'm starting to regret passing on the ones with bad paint. :(

bigbarada
12-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Are these still showing up anywhere? Still no sign at any local WM other than that one, and they're long gone there. I'm starting to regret passing on the ones with bad paint. :(

Still got plenty of them at my Walmart.

Ji'dai
12-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Both the Dewback and the AT-ST are plentiful here.

morpheus282
12-03-2009, 02:45 PM

Saw six of them on my lunch break.

El Chuxter
12-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Okay, then I'll hold out hope and assume they're late getting here, for at least another two weeks, at which point I'll panic. :D There are so many AT-ST's, Arashikage Temples, and Skywarps here, it just seemed a bit odd there are no Dewbacks yet.

Neuroleptic
12-03-2009, 03:53 PM
The local wal mart only had one AT-ST (Looked like they had enough room for 4 on the shelf) when I was there, and the dew back has yet to show up.

Also, still no new figures outside of figures from about may in new packages. Down right discouraging in Kansas.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-03-2009, 06:43 PM
I got this on my birthday and it's pretty great. The head, leg, and foot articulation is cool. The trooper's legs are a bit funky when he's on the dewback, since the gear on its back doesn't allow for the most natural pose. Still, a nice piece.

El Chuxter
12-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Went back to the store where I'd (heard the music years before?) saw the two with bad paint, which were gone the next time. They had four, all with excellent-looking (if a bit clean) Sandtroopers.

SWEET LORD AND BUTTER, THIS THING IS SWEET!!

Really, the awesomeness is still sinking in. Ball-jointed "shoulders" and "hips" on a beast? This thing, no lie, is up in 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime or 2002 MOTU Trap-Jaw awesomeness.

Between this and the news of the continuation of the Marvel GIJoe book, this week definitely ranks among the greatest of my life. :love:

Blue2th
12-12-2009, 09:04 AM
I finally got one the other day. It wasn't on sale, but they are thinning out around here so I got one.

Background Character
12-12-2009, 09:29 AM
My local WM had put out a case of Dewbacks yesterday.

I found all the AT-ST's and Octuparra Droids in the clearance section without clearance prices. Guess they needed the shelf space in the regular toy aisle.

Don't understand WM's mentality. How is the parent or anyone else buying a gift for a Star Wars fan going to find this stuff when it's halfway across the store near the house paint instead of by the toys like it should be?

Also, another thing that left a bad taste in my mouth. Found a TIE fighter from around 2005 (don't really keep up with all the exclusives and stuff) but it was the large scale wings, molded in blue and in a black box. I found it on the shelf and figured it was found in the stock room and long forgotten so it would probably be cheap since it was old and probably put on clearance a long time ago.

After crossing the store to find a price checker scanner that actually worked it rang up as a $60 Transformer figure!!!! Looking closer, I could see that someone had taken the time to photocopy a UPC code from a Transformer figure, cut it out and skillfully applied it over the real UPC code. I peeled it off and tried scanning it again, but it was not in the system and said to see an employee. Just put it back. I'm sure if I tried I could have gotten it for about $10 or less, but I was just disgusted at the depths that some collector had gone to, to scam Wal-Mart into taking this thing back. Of course, Wal-Mart is ultimately to blame for not paying closer attention, but then, the employee working for minimum wage who is getting hammered by returns all day long probably doesn't really give a **** as long as the process moves along quickly.

Blue2th
12-12-2009, 09:53 AM
My local WM had put out a case of Dewbacks yesterday.

I found all the AT-ST's and Octuparra Droids in the clearance section without clearance prices. Guess they needed the shelf space in the regular toy aisle.

Don't understand WM's mentality. How is the parent or anyone else buying a gift for a Star Wars fan going to find this stuff when it's halfway across the store near the house paint instead of by the toys like it should be?

Also, another thing that left a bad taste in my mouth. Found a TIE fighter from around 2005 (don't really keep up with all the exclusives and stuff) but it was the large scale wings, molded in blue and in a black box. I found it on the shelf and figured it was found in the stock room and long forgotten so it would probably be cheap since it was old and probably put on clearance a long time ago.

After crossing the store to find a price checker scanner that actually worked it rang up as a $60 Transformer figure!!!! Looking closer, I could see that someone had taken the time to photocopy a UPC code from a Transformer figure, cut it out and skillfully applied it over the real UPC code. I peeled it off and tried scanning it again, but it was not in the system and said to see an employee. Just put it back. I'm sure if I tried I could have gotten it for about $10 or less, but I was just disgusted at the depths that some collector had gone to, to scam Wal-Mart into taking this thing back. Of course, Wal-Mart is ultimately to blame for not paying closer attention, but then, the employee working for minimum wage who is getting hammered by returns all day long probably doesn't really give a **** as long as the process moves along quickly.
Yup, my local Walmarts are always putting stuff in the clearance section that are not on sale.
The TIE that you found was either a TRU (weathered) or a Target Exclusive large wing is probably the reason for the UPC confusion. I don't think Walmart ever carried them at all.

morpheus282
12-14-2009, 12:05 PM
I've been thinking of picking up the gelagrub when/if I see it, but it's going to have a hard time living up to the dewback. At $30, the dewback is a little higher than I'd like but still a pretty good value. At $5 less (on average), I don't see the gelagrub being that great of a toy. It seems like they should have included a second figure to make it worth the price. Has anyone found the gelagrub pack yet?

Old Fossil
12-14-2009, 01:07 PM
I've been thinking of picking up the gelagrub when/if I see it, but it's going to have a hard time living up to the dewback. At $30, the dewback is a little higher than I'd like but still a pretty good value. At $5 less (on average), I don't see the gelagrub being that great of a toy. It seems like they should have included a second figure to make it worth the price. Has anyone found the gelagrub pack yet?

I've seen it a couple of times. You are correct that it is not a good value, especially compared to the Dewback. It would have been better if it were in the Deluxe line instead.

DarkJedi5
12-14-2009, 02:03 PM

Bought it online from HTS last night, I'll let you know when it gets here. On the whole, I don't have great expectations for it but it would be great to have for a nice Felucia scene.

sebillba
12-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Wish I could get the Dewback for $30... I've been looking out for a good deal, and the best I can find so far is 36.99, which works out to almost double what you guys are paying. And that's a pre-order for January. I can easily get the Gelagrub for under 25, but I'm not really interested in that one.