PDA

View Full Version : Who here has paid storage for their collections?

JediTricks
11-11-2009, 03:29 AM
Doesn't have to be ALL your collection in paid storage, I'm just curious how many collectors are actually paying to house any portion of their collection that can't fit in their homes for whatever reason.

Also, I was wondering if paying for a separate storage facility to house your collections impacts the way you collect, or even the feeling you get from collecting.

I personally don't have paid storage for my collection, though honestly it's probably beyond the point where I should have done that. But when I talk to Tycho about his situation, it sounds so foreign a concept to me, and with Jango Speck talking in the LA thread about the way his feels to him, it made me wonder how many of my buddies here are in the same boats as either of these guys.

Slicker
11-11-2009, 05:51 AM
I've got my collection in storage but it's just out of necessity as my mom doesn't have any sort of room for it while I'm gone. Even if I hadn't joined up I was at the point where I would've needed one by this time anyways as when I was living with Cappy I even had stuff taking up his closet space. I've got a 20'x10' shed (I got it so big so I could store my Blazer in it as well) but it's more than half full as of now and more gets added on a monthly basis.

Darth Jax
11-11-2009, 07:47 AM
i don't have anything in paid storage, yet. it's gotten to the point that i will soon. simply don't have enough space for what i do have (and i continue to add to it). most of my collection is boxed and stuck in closets as i don't have the resources (or space) to display it as it will be one day.

Old Fossil
11-11-2009, 07:50 AM
I'm lucky in that my wife and I own our own home, and it's big enough to provide ample storage space, including a basement and an attic. But I certainly understand Slicker's need for storage space, given his situation.

Ji'dai
11-11-2009, 08:33 AM
I don't pay for storage now. I would sell off some of my stored collection before I would rent a storage unit.

The idea of downsizing my collection is something I've been toying with anyway in the last few years, especially after helping go through my grandma's stuff after her death last year. She collected dolls and had items from the 1930s to the present, plus all the other clutter one accumulates after 80 years on earth. I love my stuff, but what's the point of keeping it all if I don't use it or display it?

I have a small 10x10 shed in the backyard that I currently use. It's practically full now, but since my collecting of non-construction toys has fallen significantly in the last five years, I can eke out the remaining space. LEGO doesn't eat up a lot of storage space as boxes can be flattened and even large sets can be condensed into a few gallon size zip lock bags.

Slicker
11-11-2009, 09:56 AM
But I certainly understand Slicker's need for storage space, given his situation.I don't mind having it in storage except for the fact that I seriously don't know what I have. When I went through it all when I was home in March I found sooooo many duplicate figures AND vehicles. I try to keep mental notes but it just gets too cluttered that I stop trying. If I think I need it I just buy it now regardless.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-11-2009, 10:38 AM
I had a friend who put much of his toys and childhood items in storage, and that place had a fire that destroyed or damaged much of it. :( I have quite a bit of stuff in boxes and containers throughout my house, some in the garage and others in closets or on shelves. I think I'd just stop before I paid to store them elsewhere.

Snowtrooper
11-11-2009, 11:22 AM
I pay for mine............every day with scowls from my wife when sees these stacks of boxes in her unfinished dining room. Actually, she's been pretty cool about it, but I am reaching the limit on space and I don't think I'd want to pay for storage. So I'd most likely just get out of the collecting game.

Slicker
11-11-2009, 11:54 AM
I had a friend who put much of his toys and childhood items in storage, and that place had a fire that destroyed or damaged much of it. :( I have quite a bit of stuff in boxes and containers throughout my house, some in the garage and others in closets or on shelves. I think I'd just stop before I paid to store them elsewhere.That's why you've gotta get insurance of your own since the storage facility will most likely NOT cover you. I think it's only a few bucks a month. I personally don't have insurance. I guess I secretly hope that my storage unit will burn down so I can get out of this collecting game...

pbarnard
11-11-2009, 12:00 PM
That's why you've gotta get insurance of your own since the storage facility will most likely NOT cover you. I think it's only a few bucks a month. I personally don't have insurance. I guess I secretly hope that my storage unit will burn down so I can get out of this collecting game...

That can be arranged for a fee...:lipsrsealed:

As to "renter's" insurance, it depends on the policy really. For a standard apartment it was about $200 for me for 6 months. Since this isn't a domicile, there probably doesn't need to be any liability or anything, just the fire, theft, flood, tornado etc clauses, so that could knock down the price to maybe under $100 for 6 months or so.

Ando
11-11-2009, 12:24 PM
My apartment complex has storage lockers and ours is mostly just my SW stuff. In fact, when one of our neighbors moved earlier this year, I swapped our old locker for his because it was twice as big and the manager didn't care.

Because of how big they are and how many I have, I keep my AT-TE's, a few unopened ARC-170's, and about 6 Rubbermaid bins full of GAR vehicles and JSF's down there.

I still have plenty of room left for more stuff (as long as I don't mind having no room to walk in and around)

I think if I got to the point that I needed to rent a storage unit, then I would have to re-evaluate my priorities. If I was in the service like Slicker or single and a traveling salesman, that'd be different, but I'm married and don't travel for work, so I'd just as soon get a bigger house/apartment and keep things there.

My wife and I would like to get into a house soon and one of the many great things about my wife is that she wants me to have my own SW room for all my collectibles and toys.

I can see how some folks would need/want to rent a storage unit, but for me it wouldn't make sense since I have backed way down on my collecting and still have plenty of room for my hobby.

(Great thread!)

Slicker
11-11-2009, 01:07 PM
My wife and I would like to get into a house soon and one of the many great things about my wife is that she wants me to have my own SW room for all my collectibles and toys.

I think I've asked you before but does your wife have a sister like her?!

Ando
11-11-2009, 01:13 PM
That's why you've gotta get insurance of your own since the storage facility will most likely NOT cover you. I think it's only a few bucks a month. I personally don't have insurance. I guess I secretly hope that my storage unit will burn down so I can get out of this collecting game...

The unfortunate thing about insurance is it doesn't cover time spent on toy runs. If someone decided to liberate me of my collection (or if we had a fire), I think I would probably stop collecting altogether just because of how much time and energy went into it all.

It's way easier to recover if they just take TV's, stereos, etc. than collectibles like my wife's jewelry that I bought her (not super expensive stuff, but it means a lot to us), my SW stuff (some of which she bought me and means a lot to me), our crystal Christmas ornaments that we started collecting our first Christmas as a married couple, etc.

And sorry Slicker. No sister. :(

I hit the jackpot with her.

El Chuxter
11-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Sorta yes. We've got stuff in storage, but not exclusively my toys. If the toys weren't there, I'm not sure if we'd need it.

Droid
11-11-2009, 02:49 PM
I have never paid to put my stuff in storage, but I did keep stuff at my parent's house for years. When I brought it all to my house and looked at all of it at once I was very depressed. Seeing it all together was a portrait of mental illness. I started a thread where I talked about how bad my collection made me feel.

I sold/donated a lot of my collection and have stopped buying most duplicates and really focusing on those figures I know I will display in some way. It has made me a lot happier about collecting. I try not to think about all the money I spent on figures I no longer have I'll never get back...

elvandrik
11-11-2009, 04:00 PM
I have never paid to put my stuff in storage, but I did keep stuff at my parent's house for years. When I brought it all to my house and looked at all of it at once I was very depressed. Seeing it all together was a portrait of mental illness. I started a thread where I talked about how bad my collection made me feel.

I sold/donated a lot of my collection and have stopped buying most duplicates and really focusing on those figures I know I will display in some way. It has made me a lot happier about collecting. I try not to think about all the money I spent on figures I no longer have I'll never get back...

Oh, this resonates with me sooo much!! I got this same kind of feeling about 3 years ago. I realized how much stuff I had in boxes when I moved to Nebraska. Tons of carded figures and stuff I couldn't display just sitting stored away. After I put all my usual stuff on display, I saw that I still had 4 huge containers full of stuff I couldn't show. That's when I realized it......

This is how hoarding starts. Hoarding is closely associated with depression.

Ever go to someone's house and they have stuff stacked everywhere that they keep saying they are going to use but never do? SLowly, we start to become accustomed to that stuff stacking up and slowly it starts to numb you to what's going on around you. Hoarding is a mental affliction and it has many faces. There's a great show on cable now called Hoarders and it's all about people who have hoarding disorders and how they cant get rid of anything and how they have so much junk stored that they dont realize what they even have and how they assign value to it.

My friends....FREE YOUR COLLECTION AND TAKE IT OUT OF THE BOXES!!! You cant relive your childhood by staring at it through a plastic case marked with an AFA rating or stuffing it in boxes so moisture and light don't damage the cardbacks. That's sick. I personally love showing off my collection when people come over! I'm not embarased about it. I love it when a child's eyes light up when they see all the wonderful dioramas. THAT IS WHAT STAR WARS IS ABOUT! ITS ABOUT KIDS!! Its about how it sparked our imagination and creativity as children. Its about how it made us dream of magical places and inspired us to dream beyond what we are. It's about passing those dreams on to a younger generation. Its not about a bunch of fat old men hoarding plastic. I pity people who have reduced it to that. Display it or sell it, otherwise you are just a prisoner of your own collection and you may actually be a hoarder.

JediTricks
11-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Doesn't look like many of you responding are actually doing this.

Sorry, I have to take care of something else, I meant a meatier reply to this.

Darth Jax
11-11-2009, 06:36 PM
that's cause Tycho hasn't chimed in about his 4 storage units for his collection.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-13-2009, 01:28 PM
The basement at my house is full of stuff that needs to be organized but likely never will be, including a ton of SW boxes. I've always saved the packaging, but as more and more stuff comes out, obviously it's becoming more and more cumbersome. I want to use the backgrounds from the window packaging in dioramas, but even with my current huge display, there's not enough room for that. All of my Hasbro figures and vehicles and whatnot are on display or in the process of being put on display in a room upstairs. So there's no real need to pay for storage right now.

I'm unsure as to what will happen to my collection in the future. I live in the dorms right now, and I'm not going to bring 1600+ figures to every new apartment I get. For now, it will have to remain at my parents' house, but I don't like being apart from any of it for too long (having everything packed for about a year during the move was just crazy).

2-1B
11-16-2009, 08:13 PM
[FONT=Courier New]My wife and I would like to get into a house soon and one of the many great things about my wife is that she wants me to have my own SW room for all my collectibles and toys.

I think I've asked you before but does your wife have a sister like her?!

I'm in a similar boat, I don't have too much stuff displayed right now (although I do have several shelves of books, cards, and some select display pieces) but eventually when my fiance and I get a house (probably not for a couple years?), I will definitely be doing up my own "collectibles" room. She is very encouraging of it. Not just Star Wars, it'll also have my music stuff and and other movie stuff. :)

The bulk of my collection is in storage right now at my mom's house, in her basement (and ohhh the stereotypes that invokes ;) - hey it's not like I live there, though). I don't pay for it though, she's very cordial to let me store it there until I settle into a house. :)

Tycho
11-26-2009, 05:58 PM
I thought I posted in this thread before. Guess not?

I have 3 full storage units.

I just rented No. 3 temporarily and got a discount for Sep. Oct. and Nov.

However I'm not going to be out of it for Dec. or Jan. most likely.

Why? I need an empty storage to open boxes and inventorize my collection, which takes up all the other 2 storages mostly.

Otherwise, I'd have to pull stuff out onto the storage center's hallway floor where people may wonder by and need room to pull carts of their stuff.

Eventually, my storage will be organized into

UNIT 1: Prequel trilogy and its prior, current, and Dark Times EU.

UNIT 2: Original trilogy and its concurrent and subsequent EU.

I won't need the 3rd one thereafter.

However my pending surgery for my hernia next week will slow my work I'm able to do in there down.

And it's still very depressing that my toy collection is the most reliable thing I can count on having in my life so that I may one day make dioramas. :rolleyes: - but it's true. I'm counting on being able to do that.

Maradona
11-26-2009, 07:25 PM
I've got the bulk of my collections in a 10 x 15 unit that is full. Storing my toys makes my apartment easier to live in, but I rarely get to display, let alone enjoy them. It seems like I find pieces to add, buy them, and transport them to storage to wait for that mythical day when I can set up the HUGE diorama of my inner 12 year old's dreams. I just hold onto most the pieces for the length of time I spend in line, then they are put away into suspended collecting animation. Some pieces I bring to my classroom for display, but that was filled up years ago and I only justify certain items for their educational value.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Some pieces I bring to my classroom for display, but that was filled up years ago and I only justify certain items for their educational value.

Just started bringing a few items into my classroom too.

I was initially concerned that klepto students would get ahold of them and take them (my beautiful lunch bag was taken early in the school year) but so far my talking Darth Vader bank and Darth Maul mug are still proudly displayed on my desk.

BTW, my basement is full of totes from my collection. I think there are 20 totes/and or cardboard boxes full of mostly unopened stuff. The basement is dry due to a dehumidifier so I am toying with the idea of getting shelving and displaying the collection down there (away from any potential mates :love:)

Tycho
11-27-2009, 12:30 PM
and I only justify certain items for their educational value.

Educational Lessons from Star Wars:

don't kiss your sister or make inappropriate advances on her
when you have kids of your own, it's considered child abuse when you cut off their hand
trust tiny green midgets who might talk to you
don't play in the carbonite