PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy Palpatine's Shuttle From ROTS?

Tycho
11-11-2009, 04:19 PM
I am continuing my 3 3/4" vehicle thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case Palpatine's shuttlecraft from the end of ROTS).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy Palpatine's shuttlecraft from the end of ROTS? This is the ship that landed on Mustafar to rescue the injured Darth Vader and bring him back to Coruscant to be reconstructed.

This is not the same vehicle as the Clone Wars Republic Assault Shuttle - which will be polled for amongst the EU selections offered later.

Palpatine's ship could be made for probably the $70 price range. It can be way off scale but hold a cockpit for 2 figures (pilot and co-pilot) and maybe have space for 2 or 4 figures in the back in a cabin like the Imperial Shuttle's - possibly having a medical bunk aboard. They might be able to use some of the same parts for the body mold from the previous shuttle, but add different wings and a snub dorsal fin.

I think the ship could fire missiles from its weapons, maybe 2 of them to make this more fun for kids but that should be about it.

Do you want this made?

How do you think Palpatine's shuttle would sell if produced?

pbarnard
11-11-2009, 04:21 PM
At $70, it would languish pretty much like all non-exclusives over $40 do when it is not holiday/clearance time.

No, I wouldn't buy it.

Tycho
11-11-2009, 05:47 PM
I personally think the ships should go back to:

$14.99 - speederbike w. figure assortment
$19.99 - basic fighter assortment
$29.99 - Gunship / ARC 170 assortment
$100 - AT-TE / Turbotank assortment
$150 - Millennium Falcon assortment

with some $5 price variation where necessary to reflect today's inflation.

In the $20 range, things we voted for like:

The Twin Pod Cloud Car
Lars Family Landspeeder

In the $30 price range:

Dooku's Solar Sailor
Separatist Shuttlecraft

In the $100 price range:

MTT
Radiant VII

In the $150 price range:

Blockade Runner
Jabba's Sailbarge

should be produced. There may need to be a $50 or $70 price range but let's not sell stuff in that price category just to fill the shelves, like a $70 Republic Gunship or ARC 170 when we all remember being offered these for $30.

pbarnard
11-11-2009, 06:19 PM
I personally think the ships should go back to:

$14.99 - speederbike w. figure assortment
$19.99 - basic fighter assortment
$29.99 - Gunship / ARC 170 assortment
$100 - AT-TE / Turbotank assortment
$150 - Millennium Falcon assortment

with some $5 price variation where necessary to reflect today's inflation.

I'm in agreement. I just think at $70 unless it is a store exclusive with some sort of pack in, like a Red Clone Pilot variant and a Palpy that transformers into a Kawakian Monkey lizard, $70 is one reason things sort of languish especially with less than 5 years there's been a $20-30 increase in price of those same molds and raw materials/diesel transportation is not the sole reason.

Is that a large run on sentance or just a really complex structure above? :o

vger
11-11-2009, 07:02 PM
I'd like to see this, but I wouldn't pay more than $50. I'd expect a pack-in figure at this price as well.

DarkJedi5
11-11-2009, 07:53 PM
No, not interested.

Snowtrooper
11-11-2009, 09:33 PM
I really like the looks of it, so I would definitely be interested.

bigbarada
11-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Wasn't really a fan of this one at all. It just looked to me like they took one of the rejected Imperial Shuttle concepts from ROTJ, chopped off the top wing and called it a day. In other words, it's a half-arsed and lazy design.

So, no.

TheDarthVader
11-11-2009, 10:57 PM
I love the design, so I would be interested as well.

Darth Jax
11-11-2009, 11:17 PM
don't really think so. i like the imperial shuttle from the OT, but i'm not much interested in any of the PT/CW shuttles.

JediTricks
11-12-2009, 07:07 AM
No. I don't feel strongly on it, but it's just not as attractive to me, not as strongly represented in screen time as the shuttle it's an homage to. It's a Theta-class Shuttle, and I don't think it has a particularly exciting shape compared to the Lambda-class Shuttle from ROTJ. Maybe if it had done more, or had more character interactions, I might be tempted, but as it stands now, I couldn't see buying one.

DarkArtist
11-12-2009, 08:35 AM
yes, Yes, YES !!!!! love the design and would love to get one. would love it even more if it included a new wounded Vader and hoversled, and perhaps 2 Shocktroopers, along with an SA Palpatine.

Darth Metalmute
11-12-2009, 10:21 AM
I'll give it an iffy yes.

I have the same problem with this as I do the Imperial shuttle. I want it done right, but don't want to pay the costs to have it done correctly.

If they could do it on a smaller scale, and fit 1 in the cockpit and the emperor and vaders on a sled in the back, and it looks good. Then I could see myself buying it.

Ando
11-12-2009, 12:34 PM
I would purchase this shuttle for an eventual Mustafar diorama.

Tycho
12-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Palpatine's Shuttle from Revenge of the Sith won your votes 6-5 in favor of having Hasbro make this.

RENDAR LIVES
12-05-2009, 05:40 PM
For $70? Heck no! I do like this version better than the ROTJ shuttle. I think the way you describe these leave a lot to be desired out of the price you suggest. I think the shuttle should acommodate more passengers. I personally miss the light up blasters and sound fx from the N-1 Starfighter and Mellenium Falcon. Missiles are cool for play but as a collector why risk loosing missiles and the flashes of green and red energy bolts are way cooler.

Tycho
12-05-2009, 10:33 PM
That's what this thread is for: everyone describing their preferences.

I like the lights and sounds too, but they add cost to Hasbro, so they say.

Plus we've never seen Palpatine's shuttle (either ROTS or ROTJ) shoot anything before, so I don't know if the lasers should be red or green.

I'm assuming that putting in firing missiles are cheaper, but I don't know. However, this ship doesn't seem to need anything. But that's coming from me and I'm not voting for this one as I don't really need it. (I think).

The Republic Attack Shuttle that the clone troopers use is slightly different and when the EU polling makes it to the CW era, I'll probably ask the group about that one (though the Twilight will definitely be a priority).

I know this shuttle goes with the V-wings, which I really have loved, but I'm fine displaying them without the shuttle.

Actually, now I think I will count my own vote IN FAVOR of Palpatine's shuttle as it would look cool hanging from fishing wire with two V-wings flanking it like when Palpatine brought Darth Vader back to Coruscant from Mustafar to rebuild him into his OT form that we're all familiar with.

GeonosisJedi
12-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Yeah, I would buy it. This ship isn't on top of my wish list, but its still a cool prequel-era vehicle.

It would be nice to see a new kind of shuttle...though I would prefer a CIS shuttle.

RENDAR LIVES
12-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Idk. I guess I just miss the older days when you could get lights and sounds in a $20 vehicle and the Falcon only cost around $50. Besides all the stuff they crammed into the AOTC Slave-1. I just feel they charge more and offer less these days.

Neuroleptic
12-06-2009, 05:29 PM
I would not buy this for three reasons.

1. It would be too expensive because it would have to be outside the 20$ Range wich is about the max I can afford for a vehilce now adays.

2. It would be too big for the amount of room in my collection.

3. I like the Imperal shuttle, old sculpt and all, better than anything they could do with this one, and I already have the Imp shuttle.

bigbarada
12-16-2009, 01:20 AM
Cute the way you slipped that spam in there. :rolleyes:

Old Fossil
12-16-2009, 07:58 AM
Count me in for another "iffy" yes. I liked this design immediately when I saw it. Much would depend on its execution by Hasbro and the price point... for $70 it better have lights and sounds!

Tycho
02-08-2010, 03:17 AM
Papatine's shuttle has actually hung on by the slimmest lead - no change except that before it was winning 6-5 and now it's winning 8-7 (in favor of it being made).

Val Da Car
02-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Yes I would...and if Hasbro did it right you could tweak the assembly and make the Clone Wars Attack Shuttle (I know other areas of discussion but just my two cents).

Make the body slightly modular and mold different wings and cockpit and ta daa!