PDA

View Full Version : Rendar Lives' EU Q&A offshoot thread

RENDAR LIVES
11-12-2009, 03:30 PM
TRU, Spring of 2010. I had to go back to my master answers file for that one, I hadn't remembered. TFU at TRU, has a nice ring to it. :D

We have given them some rare ideas, but more often than not I'd argue that Q&A is at best a lesson to readers and at worst noise to the brand management and top employees, almost never useful R&D. Here's a handful of questions from a single round a few months ago, I literally copy-pasted 6 answers straight out of my file in a row, and all of them are ideas that don't take budgets and other realities into account (which is exactly why I act as editor here to filter these sorts of things out):

But you haven't proved to me that they're doing ANYTHING the same as before. They're making an EU wave of figures, this is a rarity because of how few proven buyers there have been in the past. They're releasing it in December, they haven't done that with an EU wave before. They're keeping this EU wave alive despite significant problems with the mainline that have caused them to push back other waves and bounce entire ones. So far, that's not doing the same thing over again expecting different results. As for Revan, it didn't have poor sales, it sold through. Others in that wave weren't so lucky. They say female figures don't sell well because that's what retailers keep telling them, retailers threatened to walk away from the line 8 years ago if they didn't stop releasing females and Neimoidians because they just weren't selling for those retailers. Since then, Hasbro has stepped up testing and tracking, so it's not just guessery. Geo Padme is an unchanged tool, it's cheap to throw in a repack, no tooling costs to recoup so it can balance a wave. Not like the Padme Evo pack was a hot seller though, it was one of the shelfwarmers around here and in San Diego from what I saw.
I don't remember anything of the sort said about Cad Bane not being reissued, quite the contrary, that figure IS being reissued in a later wave, but only because it hasn't hit full saturation yet.

As for Revan, here's the latest answer they gave us when we last asked in late '08:

ActionFigs.com: Might you be willing to give us some of the lowdown on what will be coming up from the Greatest Hits sub-line? With the Saga Legends line (we're aware this is different from GH) reusing last year's Yoda on Kybuck, fans would like to see if Greatest Hits might find some figures from that TAC EU wave which were hard to get, such as Darth Revan, Darth Malak, Pre-Cyborg Grievous. And it's not like the main lines where everything's a secret until development's done, Greatest Hits is made up of existing figures, so could we know what to expect in the sub-line?
Hasbro: We don't have room for them in the lineup right now, but we are looking for ways to get the two Darths back out there somehow. No plans right now for a re-release of the Pre-Cyborg Grievous, but he would certainly be another re-pack candidate someday, and we'll consider it when we have an opportunity.
And the most recent answer to other sites was a mere month ago:

Mousedroid.com: Are we ever going to see Darth Malak, Darth Revan or Pre-Cyborg Grievous repacked in the basic line ever again? A lot of people seemed to have missed out on this wave and are constantly on the lookout for them - so any chance of a comeback for these bad boys?
Hasbro: Pre-Cyborg Grievous is not a strong candidate for return, unless fans vote him in in a future Saga Legends-type re-release vote (we are looking at this as a possibility for next Spring). Revan and Malak are more likely to return in some form or another within the next couple of years.
So, that would be the opposite of what you remember. This is one thing that never ceases to drive me nuts about dealing with Q&A, these answers that people "remember" based on their feelings. Believe me, you are not even remotely alone on this, it comes up nearly every round, either a rumor or a flat out "feeling" based on the way prior answers have seemed about other stuff that shapes it.

We have had a ton of questions lately asking them why TLC is weakening, why their arguments haven't been the whole reason, and still have some in the queue now. But from everything I've seen, the lack of more EU figures earlier in the holiday season is a singular concern - yours - which doesn't really make sense to me or fit the sales patterns of the past. It's not Hasbro's job to promote the EU, that's Lucasfilm's job and their EU companies like Dark Horse and Del Rey. Hasbro's job is to deliver figures that the majority of customers will want, or that a minority will want that they can deliver without damaging the rest of the year's budget, and since EU has a low audience in the fandom overall, it gets less figures and doesn't take priority. That all said, this wave IS scheduled for mid-December, 4th quarter '09, which means that it is in a strong release window compared to its relatively limited audience size, and I just don't see any argument that holds water saying it's not doing enough and that it doing more would somehow be the salvation of the line.

Are there any pics of those TRU TFU exclusives yet?

Not just the ideas but it steers them in a direction to figure out what folks want and who they want. This has obviously helped us get whole lines of SA vintage style figures as well as many new characters.

Revan would have been a cheap repack too so what's the difference? I'm glad to hear they might be re released some day. I have seen the first Q&A answer you posted and that was the basis for that argument. The second one I must have missed. We all know the maybes don't hold a lot of weight. So that would be accurate to what I remember. I have worked in toystores and know the types that not only cherry pick the cases for high demand characters (including rare female figures) just to sell on the second market. Most don't even buy but steal them wich is where I'm sure the retailers have innacurate data. It blows because there are so many levels (manufacturer, retail, employees, scalpers) where us collectors get screwed. The Padme evolution set went pretty fast here in the Twin Cities.

I didn't say anything about Cad Bane other than using him as an example of an original popular figure in the CW line. I was saying they need more characters like him if they expect the line to last. Otherwise it's just going to be Hasbro making animated versions of already existing characters and toys as well as clones and barbie style varients.

Again, the waves are running late and I would hate to see any waves cut short just for Hasbro to push them all out. If this wave doesnt pop out until January and has a limited release (even more so than usual because of the line not doing well) I worry I might get screwed because retail in January and February wont order squat. Revan, Malik and Grievous are still in demand yet it's still going to be some wait before getting refreshed. Wich would look like poor sales to Hasbro. As I said, I have been waiting 10 years for the Solo twins and even longer for Ulic and Exar Kun. I'm also optimistic about Anakin Solo and Nom Anor but won't hold my breath.

I wonder if Dark Horse is currently putting out the NJO maxi series to help fans with this cause through comic packs. Otherwise I wouldn't see a point in essentially rehashing a story that has already been told and isn't movie related. They've never done it before so here's hoping to more NJO comic packs in the future. Perhaps that would be a good question, "with the Dark Horse NJO comics is it likely we will see comic packs come from that?"

JediTricks
11-15-2009, 03:45 PM
I decided to copy this post into its own thread so it doesn't overtake the Q&A itself.

Are there any pics of those TRU TFU exclusives yet?Not yet. That might be a good Q&A question, I'll add it.

Not just the ideas but it steers them in a direction to figure out what folks want and who they want. This has obviously helped us get whole lines of SA vintage style figures as well as many new characters.This is debatable. The Vintage-style line came out in '04, 2 years before Q&A started. And as for characters, the odd character gets suggested that they haven't thought of before, but mostly we throw a lot of oddball ideas at them that don't stick, or stuff they happen to be already doing and we want confirmation on.

Revan would have been a cheap repack too so what's the difference? I'm glad to hear they might be re released some day.It's not merely "throw it in whenever it suits them", it has to fit in the budget and case plans, and it has to make some sense - it wouldn't fit in the Saga Legends line because that line is about main characters, so it has to go in Greatest Hits repack country which is a smaller number of available slots. Subbing it into a case asst isn't easy either because they've already presold the toys in that asst to the retailers. So it has to fit right, which is why it's not just any old time.

Most don't even buy but steal them wich is where I'm sure the retailers have innacurate data. It blows because there are so many levels (manufacturer, retail, employees, scalpers) where us collectors get screwed. They keep saying theft is pretty low in the line, incidental and anomalous, so I dunno if it really impacts retailer data all that much.

The Padme evolution set went pretty fast here in the Twin Cities.Here it shelfwarmed until clearance and even then didn't move so fast. Consistently across the retailers too.

I didn't say anything about Cad Bane other than using him as an example of an original popular figure in the CW line. I was saying they need more characters like him if they expect the line to last. Otherwise it's just going to be Hasbro making animated versions of already existing characters and toys as well as clones and barbie style varients.I think next year will be the trial by fire for CW, if it can shine at Toy Fair, it's probably going to continue. I don't know if they can get away with a lot more clones, but I just asked folks about the 4th quarter '09 figs and they seemed excited where I was anything but.

I wonder if Dark Horse is currently putting out the NJO maxi series to help fans with this cause through comic packs. Otherwise I wouldn't see a point in essentially rehashing a story that has already been told and isn't movie related. They've never done it before so here's hoping to more NJO comic packs in the future. Perhaps that would be a good question, "with the Dark Horse NJO comics is it likely we will see comic packs come from that?"Comic Packs are dying out. I think Dark Horse isn't concerned with what figures Hasbro makes, and is just trying to milk another SW line without paying for a newly written series. NJO is in the bag, it's got its followers, the story can be told without dreaming up a whole new scenario.