PDA

View Full Version : SSG's Tri-Weekly Hasbro Q&A - November 16th

JediTricks
11-16-2009, 11:41 PM
A short question about a hat gets an even shorter response in Hasbro's answers to SSG questions for November 16th, 2009. Thanks again to Hasbro for the answers, to all the folks who sent in questions and especially those who voted on them.

Hasbro Q&A for the week of November 16th

SSG: We've been hearing how the TLC line has been having sales troubles going back to its inception in July '08. There have been numerous Hasbro comments about lowered volume due to a shrinking of the hardcore collector base and a virtual drying up of the casual consumer base. Now through Q&A we're hearing about entire waves of basic figures, the bread & butter of the line, possibly getting pushed back or dropped into exclusive territory as brand management tries to ensure that those molds get into collectors' hands at all. Yet through all this, we continue to hear that Saga Legends is a strong seller with the casual consumers and thus with Hasbro's retail partners. While we fans appreciate and admire the drive over the past 6 years to deliver 40 to 50 new figures per year, without entertainment support it appears that pace has become an albatross around the mainline's neck as multiple outside forces such as manufacturing and the economy beat up the line (along with the rest of the toy industry). When fans look at something like the AT-AT Driver figure, which had a chiefly satisfactory figure released only 3 years ago yet now has an entirely new tooling coming up, it seems like the priority to meet x-many new figures per wave is no longer a viable concept, as budgeting for figures that either won't see widespread release at retail or will get pushed back means the next products down the line suffer worse fates is spent across a wave rather than the mainline as a whole. Though not ideal, have you considered merging the mainline figures and Saga Legends back together, scaling back the overall scope of new figures to fit in releases alongside the Legends figures, and cutting down on new resculpted figures when existing ones like the 3-year-old AT-AT Driver would satisfy interest with little or no change? Would focusing all of the non-Clone Wars figures back into a single SKU help keep mainline figures afloat, even if the number of new figures is scaled back significantly?
Hasbro: Thanks for the thoughtful summary of the challenges that we are facing with the "new collector economy." We are determined to keep delivering significant newness in the basic figure line. The basic figure line that will take over after Legacy / Droid Factory will look a little different, along the lines of all the things you mentioned. It will consists of all new tooled figures (about the same proportion as are in the line now), significant repaints/retooled figures, Saga Legends-type figures, and figures released on basic figure cards for the first time. Because of the sheer popularity that Saga Legends has had with its audience, we will keep it going as a separate line but change up the figures some. We believe that it's critical to keep Saga Legends doing, as kids are getting the core heroes and villains (with occasional troops), while fans are adding troops to shore up their forces. However, exactly to your point, we will be refocusing Legends a bit and sending some key figures over into the line that will replace Legacy so there is some core hero traction to that line as well.

SSG: Why did K'Kruhk not come with his mythical hat as an accessory? Many of his fans had high hopes for its inclusion, as it's an important part of his persona. Did you consider this when you decided to make him, and if so, why didn't it make the cut?
Hasbro: He was already a very expensive figure, and we couldn't add his hat.

SSG: The end of the Titanium era has brought much dismay to collectors, not simply because of the grim unlikelihood for the future behind the "hiatus" status, but also because it leaves many great ships nearly impossible to find. Many Titaniums that saw limited releases or worse and were expected to get re-released in the future are now going to be mythical at best, such as the Gungan Bongo Sub (now doomed to be postponed into eternity), Trade Federation Landing Craft, Mon Calamari Star Cruiser, Rogue Shadow, Luke Skywalker's X-wing (Sculpt 2), AOTC Naboo Royal Cruiser, P-38 Magnaguard Starfighter, and more. What with the line's demise skunking the fans out of some great molds, would it be possible to get any sort of limited rereleases of these incredibly difficult to acquire treasures - and the ones that almost made it such as the Bongo - as HasbroToyShop exclusives? If not, why not? Isn't seeing ANY financial return on molds that haven't made their money back better than no return at all?
Hasbro: The demand for Titanium was low to begin with, relative to the 3-3/4" figure line, but has really been hit over the past year. Contrary to what some people think, convention (or online) releases find much smaller audiences than toys that get national release. Re-releasing these for Comic Con would not be a possibility due to the mismatch between demand and the much higher minimum quantities required by our factories. However, all is not doom and gloom for fans of Titanium, and we are looking for ways that we could bring it back out to retail. It may take a while, but we have a lot of heart for this series still.

- -

And our questions at (http://www.collectionstation.com/groups/view/Star-Wars/Official-Hasbro-Star-Wars-Q-A-1023_63)CollectionStation.com (http://www.collectionstation.com/groups/Star-Wars/Official-Hasbro-Star-Wars-QA_64):

With your recent answer about the Holiday Special aliens, you've put another nail in the coffin by pointing out that it is "forgettable" (though we'd argue clearly not as 3 generations of SW fans now talk about it and ask for figures from it despite having only grainy bootleg videos as their source) and figures from it won't be produced. In the past, you've done both animated-sequence figures (Boba Fett) and live-action-sequence ones (Zutton), so there is precedence to ask our question: what about Chewbacca's family? All 3 of them have appeared in other EU sources beyond the Holiday Special, but due to their origination, do you consider them figures that have little to no chance of production, or is there hope for any/all of them at some point down the line? (They wouldn't even have to come with their Life Day robes, if you absolutely couldn't find it in your heart to include them. But wouldn't that be like making a Tiny Tim figure and not including his crutch? That would be cruel... but we digress. ;-) )
The Clone Wars episode "Trespass" from season 1 has resonated with a lot of fans, and the episode also sports a significant amount of noteworthy new characters and outfit variants just begging to be made into figures. Already we have the Freeco Bike confirmed, as well as snow gear Anakin and Obi-Wan, and Thi-Sen; but there's still Rex and the clones in snow gear waiting to be confirmed, the other Talz warriors, the arrogant Chi Cho, Senator Chuchi, and the Pantoran guard - there's more than enough interesting and exciting characters in this episode to fill an entire wave. While Hasbro is likely to do a number of these characters eventually, the episode will fade in buyers' memories fairly quickly, so can you reveal if any will be coming in 2010?
Will you be reissuing the Scramble on Yavin Battle Pack in the new packaging design? Although a sleeper at first, it seems to be very popular and now many collectors themselves are scrambling trying to find it. We know you said that future Battle Packs would go back to the kid-focused styles, but as this is existing tooling and it's popular and it had a relatively short run due to the packaging change-over, it should get a re-release in the '09 packaging, don't you think? If not, what about reusing the vehicle in the Clone Wars deluxe figure & vehicle assortment? You've got other "just out of frame" vehicles there, heck, even the Desert Sport Skiff. Is it hard to believe that Clone pilots might use a transport like this?

El Chuxter
11-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Could we ask them to clarify why some EU figures (Chewie's family being the latest) are absolute no's without a pack-in comic, while others who appear only in comics (Corram Horn, pre-cyborg Grievous) aren't?

I'm a little confused with their answer to the first one. "Yeah, we're going to be doing something much like what you mentioned, merging the lines together, and including a mix of new figures, re-releases, and figures who've not been carded. But we're going to keep the Legends line separate because it's doing well, and so the Legacy line will be new figures." :confused:

JediTricks
11-17-2009, 12:01 AM
Wow, this round feels like a bummer. Changes to Legacy, not a big enough run for the factory on Titaniums, Battle Packs getting even smaller, and what appears to be the death of Comic Packs.

Other sites have answers confirming it, after Spring of '10, the Comic Packs line is dead to mass release.

Could we ask them to clarify why some EU figures (Chewie's family being the latest) are absolute no's without a pack-in comic, while others who appear only in comics (Corram Horn, pre-cyborg Grievous) aren't?Their answer is cryptically written, but I believe they're saying that had Comic Packs continued to do well, they could have gotten away with releasing them via their small comic appearances in the past, but now that the line is ______ (canceled, struggling?), they would need to be more recognizable.

I'm a little confused with their answer to the first one. "Yeah, we're going to be doing something much like what you mentioned, merging the lines together, and including a mix of new figures, re-releases, and figures who've not been carded. But we're going to keep the Legends line separate because it's doing well, and so the Legacy line will be new figures." :confused:I think their answer was saying they were going to put a few more Saga Legends-style figures (main characters) into the Legacy line.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-17-2009, 12:49 AM
That sucks on the Scramble at Yavin Battle Pack. That was a set I was really looking forward to, but never saw. With shipping, I'd probably have to pay $40-$50 or more on eBay now.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-17-2009, 01:01 AM
The tinkering with the basic line is fine by me. It's looked like that before. This may mean more "slightly new" figures, but so be it.

Battle Packs getting even smaller
I took it they were referring to the upcoming move to a slimmer box, and nothing more.

The Camie and Fixer set is coming as a convention exclusive next year, nice! Or, at least better than nothing. This is one item I was quite excited about.

As for the other comic packs, I can't honestly say I'll be sad to see them go. The EU stuff has gotten way out of hand (yeah, yeah, start yer complainin') so less of it is fine. I like the ones they already did and hope they do indeed release the final few that they had planned, but that's enough.

Funeral Pyre Vader (http://hanshideout.blogspot.com/) should be coming out, if they can find a good exclusives partner for it. That's damn cool news.

New OT ships (plural) next year (http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=192.msg32224#msg32224), that should be good. Let the speculation begin.

The Target Geonosis sets (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=5448/#details) are not doing well and won't get a sequel. Damn. The aliens seem to be doing well for the most part, but it's those damn humans. I was really looking forward to more of these. EDIT: Never mind, they were talking about the Walmart ones. Fine by me. Hopefully the Target ones sell through, then.

Oh, but Jabba got a major retailer to pick him up!!!!! (http://www.yakfaceforums.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=125&t=4970) Okay, that's the best news of the day. :D :D :D

bigbarada
11-17-2009, 01:34 AM
New OT ships (plural) next year (http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=192.msg32224#msg32224), that should be good. Let the speculation begin.

If they are talking about all new toys or significant retools and not just rereleases or repaints of existing toys, then that is really cool news. My guesses are: a BAT-AT (because technically they said "vehicles" not "ships"), Slave 1, Snowspeeder, and/or a new Imperial Speeder Bike.

Although, I also think there was talk of an all-new Y-Wing as well. So that could be one of them.

JediTricks
11-17-2009, 04:56 AM
What is a BAT-AT?

The Y-wing is not all-new, it's another retooling of the existing version.

Snowspeeder is on tap for next year according to their last answer about it, IIRC.

Slave 1 I think they shot down for now.

Darth Windu
11-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Actually I thought the Titanium answer was pretty optimistic. We've known for a while now that Titanium wasn't really popular and had a lower market share, so their answer doesn't surprise me. At least they're still working on getting them back into retail. Maybe they could start with less (and smaller) packaging which would hopefully bring the price down!

bigbarada
11-17-2009, 12:50 PM
What is a BAT-AT?

It's a Big AT-AT, just like the BMF is the Big Millenium Falcon. :D

JediTricks
11-17-2009, 02:31 PM
It's a Big AT-AT, just like the BMF is the Big Millenium Falcon. :D
OHHHHHHH.

The Titaniums answer to me is all hope and probably not going to result in anything more than re-releases like the WM wave that started it all?

El Chuxter
11-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Their answer is cryptically written, but I believe they're saying that had Comic Packs continued to do well, they could have gotten away with releasing them via their small comic appearances in the past, but now that the line is ______ (canceled, struggling?), they would need to be more recognizable.

I get that part, but I don't get their criteria. Chewbacca's family is less recognizable than Corran Horn? As much as I love the guy, he's strictly in novels and comics. (You can't really apply the "but he's a Rebel pilot" argument; I'd guess a Wookiee would be cooler to a casual fan than yet another guy in orange.) IIRC, the Cortosis Battle Droid that was packed with Anakin (?) only appeared in a GameBoy Advanced game that only five people ever played. Pre-Cyborg Grievous has the name recognition, but he was only in an overpriced, non-canon book prior to the figure's release. When was the last time anyone saw animated Boba Fett except for adult fans watching a bootleg copy of the Holiday Special? (Guarantee you it was almost exactly 31 years ago.) Some EU figures get carded releases, or are packed with store exclusives, while others (like anything NJO) they hem and haw on, and say they'd need a comic book to pack in with them... while they release exclusive packs on Mandaloreans based on themselves. It's just inconsistent, and confusing.

LTBasker
11-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Heh, I completely forgot about that Titanium question. :D Still not believing their claims about future possibilities for Titaniums, but on the brightside they have already been rereleasing hard to find ships such as Luke's X-wing and the P-38 with the last waves.

Droid
11-17-2009, 04:09 PM
Any Wookiee is more recognizable as a Wookiee than most of the EU characters they do put out, even if you don't know what Wookiee you're looking at.

EDIT: But Chewbacca's family is a really lame concept that turns Chewie into a deadbeat dad, life debt or no.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-17-2009, 07:55 PM
I get that part, but I don't get their criteria. Chewbacca's family is less recognizable than Corran Horn? As much as I love the guy, he's strictly in novels and comics. (You can't really apply the "but he's a Rebel pilot" argument; I'd guess a Wookiee would be cooler to a casual fan than yet another guy in orange.) IIRC, the Cortosis Battle Droid that was packed with Anakin (?) only appeared in a GameBoy Advanced game that only five people ever played. Pre-Cyborg Grievous has the name recognition, but he was only in an overpriced, non-canon book prior to the figure's release. When was the last time anyone saw animated Boba Fett except for adult fans watching a bootleg copy of the Holiday Special? (Guarantee you it was almost exactly 31 years ago.) Some EU figures get carded releases, or are packed with store exclusives, while others (like anything NJO) they hem and haw on, and say they'd need a comic book to pack in with them... while they release exclusive packs on Mandaloreans based on themselves. It's just inconsistent, and confusing.
All the characters you mentioned are aggressive, interesting characters who make cool action figures regardless of their source material. With Chewie's family, you get a horny old guy, a housewife, and a fat kid.

Apparently, they're releasing new Star Tours figures who aren't droids (http://www.toymania.com/news/messages/11699.shtml) next year. Could this mean Teek is not far off?

El Chuxter
11-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Oh. My. GOD!!!!

JJL, I could kiss you for linking to that. But you need to brush your teeth first. :beard:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Say, thanks! :D

In other news, Creature Cantina (http://www.creaturecantina.com/news_stories/2009/1118/hasbro-qna.html) got some good and bad. Captain Fordo is planned for 2011, so all you microseries people can take that one and be happy, damn it. They also say that the second Bespin Wing Guard will never be released, which goes against the fact that we've seen carded pictures and know that he will be in several case assortments. I wonder if they meant the Imperial Scanning guy? Who knows.

Darth Windu
11-18-2009, 11:24 PM
The Titaniums answer to me is all hope and probably not going to result in anything more than re-releases like the WM wave that started it all?
Possibly, but it's far better than them just coming out and saying 'due to low sales and the direction we want the brand to go in, Titanium Series will not be returning in the forseeable future'.

Droid
11-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Well I would have pitched a fit if they weren't releasing the black Bespin guard first then!

Cane_Adiss
11-19-2009, 10:22 AM
It's very disappointing that Utris M'toc has been cancelled. I'm hoping he shows up some time next year in either a battle pack or repaint wave. He's been near the top of my personal wish list for years now! :sad:

JediTricks
11-19-2009, 11:05 PM
SWcollector.com: What was the inspiration for some of the EU characters in the old Power of the Jedi line, especially for Obi-Wan Kenobi in cold weather gear? I've never heard of Obi-Wan wearing that outfit before. Was the design a Hasbro creation? Although the figure is really dated now, I always liked the concept of that figure. Speaking of the POTJ line, it was a fantastic line, but given it's age, some of it's figures are due for updates. Aurra Sing, Coruscant Guard, concept art Darth Maul (yellow cloak), Mon Calamari Officer and the Rebel Fleet Trooper are good characters who have been out of circulation for almost a decade and could really benefit from a modern articulation upgrade and sculpt. I know he probably doesn't stand a snowball's chance in July of getting a new figure, but I'll put in a plug for a new cold weather Obi-Wan too!
Hasbro: The design was a Hasbro creation, put forward with Lucasfilm's support. New takes on characters like this, even if not supported directly by entertainment, are occasionally needed to keep a character "fresh." The Clone Wars has show that these characters would adopt other gear depending on the circumstances, and while well before The Clone Wars these types of outfits were developed to match the personality of the Jedi and the styling of the Star Wars universe. As for the others you mentioned, some of the other characters you mention will be updated within the next two years. A new cold weather Obi-Wan is coming shortly in The Clone Wars figure line.Ooh! Busted! Hasbro is wrongo here, that figure is from a canceled book or comic, not a Hasbro design.

El Chuxter
11-20-2009, 12:13 AM
Not to mention the answer sorta flies in the face of everything they normally claim.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-20-2009, 11:50 PM
GalacticHunter (http://www.galactichunter.com/) posted this:

Per Derryl Depriest (the guy in charge) at Hasbro, "Bespin Guard (Utris Mítoc) *will* be coming out in the Expanded Universe Wave." That's the alien figure. Depriest has the final say on figures. Period. Rumors have circulated that Utris Mítoc was axed from the line. Rumor FAIL! Naturally, having a finely articulated Bespin Guard body opens the door for Bespin Guards with horseshoe and handlebar moustachios. Collectors can breathe a sigh of relief!
So, I'm not sure why they said that in the first place. Either way, who cares, Utris M'Toc is coming and that's all that matters.

sebillba
11-21-2009, 07:59 AM
That's the best collecting news I've heard all week. Utris has long been high on my wants list, so I was gutted to read he'd been cancelled - I really couldn't care less about Edian (apart from being another vintage ticked off) - Bespin needs more alien figs!! For once, I'll actually be looking forward to an EU wave!

JediTricks
11-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Adam May is a good guy, but he's called it wrong a bunch of times ever since he won that trip to Hasbro last year. No Big AT-AT, no Big Slave I, no Death Star Playset. I hope he's right here, but Hasbro's Q&A answer about it is very clear that the figure won't be making it out.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-22-2009, 10:28 PM
Adam May is a good guy, but he's called it wrong a bunch of times ever since he won that trip to Hasbro last year. No Big AT-AT, no Big Slave I, no Death Star Playset. I hope he's right here, but Hasbro's Q&A answer about it is very clear that the figure won't be making it out.
Well, then why would Derryl Depriest explicitly say otherwise? The whole thing is bizarre. I wouldn't be surprised if the second Imperial Scanning Crew didn't make it out, but I'm fully expecting to get both Bespin Guards. All of Adam May's other stuff you mentioned was based on rumors, not quotes from the head honcho himself.

JediTricks
11-24-2009, 01:04 PM
True, but the article claims it's a RUMOR despite it being from Hasbro's own answer. I dunno, the whole thing seems like it needs a FIRM clarification, not odd wording.

Devo
11-25-2009, 02:34 PM
However, exactly to your point, we will be refocusing Legends a bit and sending some key figures over into the line that will replace Legacy so there is some core hero traction to that line as well.

Eh? There already is core hero traction in the main film line. Just look at the latest ANH wave. This is what people have complained about this year. Rehashed core characters in the legacy line when we all presumed thats what Legends is for. So what do they mean? Instead of core characters with minor retools to distinguish them it'll be core characters with no changes made whatsoever apart from inferior paintjobs?

clone157
11-26-2009, 04:17 PM
I, for one, am really going to miss the comic packs line. I still need the rest of Rogue Squadron. I am not anti-OT, or PT for that matter, and enjoy Star Wars and it's growing EU. These packs, while the figures are a bit substandard joint-wise, are the only way we are going to get figures of some of these great characters. I will still continue to buy both Legacy and CW figs, but I am sad that we will be denied some interesting designs. I feel that the problem that plagues the line in general, is that we tend to want every background character, regardless of how they will sell to the common collector/kid. We have to think about that market as well and temper our desires for everything/everyone. As much as I loove my Cantina with its aliens, and Jabba's Palace with its denizens, I realize that they do not sell well to the kids, and so am extremely grateful for the one or two waves a year with more oddities to put in these dioramas. Hasbro should take a closer look at their choices for the different waves and also at how to re-use certain components from other figs to cut those costs. Also, does anyone else think that Hasbro might be too big and require too much profit to keep their lines going?

JediTricks
11-26-2009, 05:02 PM
Droid, I wish I knew for sure what they meant. I suspect we'll find out at Toy Fair in February, it's a mysterious statement though. My guess is they'll be re-releasing more main characters from previous waves in existing waves than the last 2 years.

Clone, I absolutely think Hasbro management costs are so large that they can barely keep their pants from falling down. This is what took a successful line in Action Fleet and sunk it within a year of Hasbro buying Galoob. They just can't cut a slim enough profit to make smaller-run items work. But they are IMO the #1 action figure manufacturer now, so they have to be doing something right.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-26-2009, 10:45 PM
Droid, I wish I knew for sure what they meant. I suspect we'll find out at Toy Fair in February, it's a mysterious statement though. My guess is they'll be re-releasing more main characters from previous waves in existing waves than the last 2 years.
I expect it to look more like the TSC line, with all-new figures alongside repaints, kitbashes, and straight repacks. Their "figures released for the first time on a basic card" line (or whatever it was) leads me to believe they'll be repacking figures from multipacks or previous exclusives, which has worked well in the past but also annoyed some collectors. But I think they'll make many more "different enough" figures to lure collectors in, with a minimal change and maximum profits (like the repaints from the first TSC ROTJ wave). I guess it makes sense to continue doing Saga Legends, so that they can release entire cases of old figures that sell well; maybe they want to put more core character stuff in the main line to help sell those and have the pegs replenish faster than they have been lately. I'm definitely interested in seeing what's next.

DarkJedi5
11-27-2009, 12:20 AM
I read all of this and it sounds to me like bad news. I am a member of Brian's Toys "one of each new figure" club and I got into a tiff with them because I didn't want figures that weren't new! I've already got the Padme, the Boba Fett, the Stormtrooper, purple Jango Fett, Evo AOTC Anakin, the ARC Trooper, Clone Pilot, Biker Scout, Commander Devis and all the other previously released figures that Hasbro is throwing into the Legacy line. I told them I didn't want these figures, just the new ones please, and they said it's all or nothing so take it or leave it. Honestly, if the number of "Legends" figures in the Legacy line is only going to increase over the next few years I'm gonna have to leave it. I mean, I'm already paying 9.99 or whatever per figure and an extra $10 for shipping, it just seems like I shouldn't be getting hosed anymore than I already am by having to swallow down these figures I don't want at a premium just to make sure I get those hard to find short packed figures.

So in conclusion, A) I really don't like that Hasbro will include more Legends figures in the Legacy line (keep legacy just for new figures! make it like the old vintage line if you have to, just don't mix!) and B) I may need a new and reliable source, preferably one with a "one of each" system so I can be sure I get one of each new figure without running all over and refreshing HTS every 10 minutes.

bigbarada
11-27-2009, 10:14 AM
I read all of this and it sounds to me like bad news. I am a member of Brian's Toys "one of each new figure" club and I got into a tiff with them because I didn't want figures that weren't new! I've already got the Padme, the Boba Fett, the Stormtrooper, purple Jango Fett, Evo AOTC Anakin, the ARC Trooper, Clone Pilot, Biker Scout, Commander Devis and all the other previously released figures that Hasbro is throwing into the Legacy line. I told them I didn't want these figures, just the new ones please, and they said it's all or nothing so take it or leave it. Honestly, if the number of "Legends" figures in the Legacy line is only going to increase over the next few years I'm gonna have to leave it. I mean, I'm already paying 9.99 or whatever per figure and an extra $10 for shipping, it just seems like I shouldn't be getting hosed anymore than I already am by having to swallow down these figures I don't want at a premium just to make sure I get those hard to find short packed figures.

Well, this situation sounds to me like you are getting angry with Brian's Toys for not being able to read your mind. Either that or your problem is with Hasbro and you are unfairly taking it out on Brian's Toys. I would just assume that any "one of every figure" club would mean that you would get.... one of every figure. If you don't want half the figures that are being released, then why not drop out of the club? With a little effort on your part, you could save a lot of money and not have to buy figures you don't want. This is YOUR hobby, not BT's, so if your not having fun collecting and keeping up with everything yourself, then maybe it's time to move on to something else instead of making yourself and everyone around you miserable.

make it like the old vintage line if you have to, just don't mix!

Which vintage line are you talking about? If you are referring to the original Kenner line, then you should realize that was a completely different animal. There was A LOT of mixing of old figures with new, much worse than what we see today. That was Kenner's business model. They would rerelease old figures, with zero improvements, on new cards all the time.

DarkJedi5
11-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Well, this situation sounds to me like you are getting angry with Brian's Toys for not being able to read your mind. Either that or your problem is with Hasbro and you are unfairly taking it out on Brian's Toys.

It's not mind reading, BD50-53, 09BD12, 09BD35-37 and 09BD46 and 47 were all previously released figures. When figures like this had a GH designation these were not mailed to me, when they dropped it I started to get these greatest hits figures. I think BT knows the difference but is more than happy to throw them in with the others and charge you 9.99 for figures people wouldn't buy at that price.

It's the new part I have a problem with. The club originally said that they would mail one each new figure that is released. The problem is they consider it a new figure if it's number BD#. I'm not sure who is at fault, BT for considering it just because it's got a BD# or Hasbro for putting old figures in the line in the first place. I understand that these come in the case assortments and the BT doesn't want to get stuck with these rereleases but they just are not new.

[QUOTE=bigbarada;707088]If you don't want half the figures that are being released, then why not drop out of the club? With a little effort on your part, you could save a lot of money and not have to buy figures you don't want. This is YOUR hobby, not BT's, so if your not having fun collecting and keeping up with everything yourself, then maybe it's time to move on to something else instead of making yourself and everyone around you miserable.

It's not that I don't want half the figures that are being released (and it's not even close to that, the rereleases probably make up only 10% of the line) I buy at least one of every new figure and in some cases multiples. The reason I joined one of these clubs in the first place is because I simply have a very difficult time actually collecting at all. I'm a student without my own car in a city that just doesn't have any of the Target or Walmart type retailers. It's a twenty minute drive to the closest one so I can only make it on the weekends when I don't have an overwhelming amount of school work. As far as the selection goes, it's not great. At retail I only saw half of the TPM, most of the ROTJ wave, and the dregs of the ANH wave.

Because I want one of every new figure this would drive me nuts. I've actually never enjoyed finding, it's only the having part I've enjoyed. It's been much harder in the past to find things, granted, but there's no thrill in scouring store after store trying to find product that other people have been finding for weeks that you may or may not ever see. Too bad if all of this makes you miserable BigB cause frankly, I don't care. If Hasbro wants my money they'd better not make it more difficult to get their product than it has to be. As far as BT goes, when I signed up there was a different figure distribution system in place. That's been thrown out the window and if BT won't account for it then I guess I'll have to stop buying from them.

Which vintage line are you talking about? If you are referring to the original Kenner line, then you should realize that was a completely different animal. There was A LOT of mixing of old figures with new, much worse than what we see today. That was Kenner's business model. They would rerelease old figures, with zero improvements, on new cards all the time.

What I meant was the VOTC line, a line that had only a figures but they were all new (granted, at a premium price point but they're doing figures of that quality in the basic line now). I don't understand the point of having a line for rereleased figures and a line for new figures and then having so many rereleases in the new figure line.