PDA

View Full Version : Does Text Messaging Really Annoy Anyone?

Tycho
11-17-2009, 06:08 PM
I am quick on the phone. It takes less time to leave a simple voice mail than it does to hit each key 3-4 times to get the right letter on your cell phone. Let alone I tire of using symbols and shift keys to get the right punctuation / grammar down.

Next, while I could spend for one of those phones with the full pull-out keyboard, since I loathe text messaging in the first place, why patronize it with $50 to $100 more bucks? (I get a good discount upgrading my phone for Verizon points or whatever their rebate offer is - but they still get at least $50 more off of me - and for what? Annoying me further?)

If paying to be annoyed is "in," JediTricks should pay ME to post on this message board :D (and bring Stillakid back and give him a salary!)

I cannot text you back when I am driving. When I am tired or sleepy, I don't want to wake up and concentrate so I can at least write something coherent. I'd rather just muble into the speaker.

If you cannot answer your phone, I understand. If it's urgent I can text you so you can read my message immediately: "Your house is on fire!" or "Want to see a movie that starts in about only another hour from now?" If it's not that important, I can leave a voicemail from bed without even opening my eyes: "Want to go to Disneyland NEXT MONTH?" I think you can phone, leave a voicemail, or text in plenty of time to respond to that.

But yeah, if you're in school, at work, or in a meeting, texts are convenient if important. If the message is not, check your darn voicemail because I'm NOT going to text you if I can help it! :mad:

And what is it with girls and texts?

They were never that electronically competent before. Remember when Atari Missile Command was for boys only?

bigbarada
11-17-2009, 06:18 PM
I prefer text messaging because it's just less intrusive and a lot faster for the recipient to read a text versus dialing their voicemail and wading through all the menus to get to the new message (most of the time, my voicemail will make me listen to several old messages before it will even get around to the one new message). Personally, I don't even check my voicemail, I just call the person back and ask what they called about. :)

Plus texts are better if you are passing on names, addresses, phone numbers, flight information, etc. Because it's right there in front of you and you don't have to continually replay the voice message to write the info down yourself.

I deal with professional fighters a lot and I've found that they are much more responsive to text messages, because they can read and/or answer them at their convenience and it's been my experience that they NEVER check their voicemail. :upset:

El Chuxter
11-17-2009, 06:40 PM
I find it extremely annoying. What's worst about it is that you cannot convince friends and family not to text you worthless, stupid, inane garbage. Someone wants to text, "What's up?" It costs me a quarter, whether I open it or not.

So I got text messaging blocked entirely on all our phones. It's ridiculous that cell phones replaced pagers, and now paging is a "premium" service that costs extra. I'm not going to be a part of it.

Ando
11-17-2009, 07:00 PM
I prefer texts for a few reasons:

1. I am on the phone ALL day long. The last thing I want to do is spend more time on the phone after work.

2. As Big Barada said, it's less intrusive. If I am with friends and someone wants to ask me something or tell me something, a quick text is much easier than picking up the phone, calling, having it go to voicemail, etc.

3. I get few calls anymore that are really that important and since I am on email and Facebook all day anymore, I am pretty much in touch and up to date on everything that's happening anymore.

4. Tycho, doesn't your phone have predictive text? It's way easier to type out a quick message these days than it was 10 years ago.

5. I don't have a headset so it's distracting if I am in the middle of something and have to hold my phone to my ear with one hand and try to shop, cook, clean, take a wiz, etc. And I probably don't want to talk to whoever is calling anyways.

Darth Jax
11-17-2009, 07:43 PM
i don't like talking to people so i prefer to communicate via email or texting

Bel-Cam Jos
11-17-2009, 07:51 PM
I will go the Twitter route and limit my response to under 140 characters:

Yes. Quite annoyed.

LTBasker
11-17-2009, 07:56 PM
I think text messages have their purpose, but it's a very abused feature that has become a breeding ground for lethargy. I use text messaging every now and then as a convenient feature, but if what I have to say is anywhere near a conversational length then I'll just say it in a call.

sith_killer_99
11-17-2009, 07:58 PM
I deal with professional fighters a lot and I've found that they are much more responsive to text messages, because they can read and/or answer them...

Insert illiterate joke here.lol

I do hate text messaging, they cost me 5 cents each, or 1/2 a minute from my (10 cents per minute) pre-paid service. Yeah, I use Net10, I'm not getting locked into any stupid contracts!!!

Anyway, texting has it's uses, but they should be much less frequent IMO.

Texting handy info, as mentioned, times, places, flight info, phone numbers, etc. is actually really handy.

What REALLY bugs me is someone who texts me and wants to have a whole freakin' conversation!!!

Many people do it because they get free or unlimited texting, so it costs them nothing and costs me a small fortune!:mad:

The perfect example was 11/5 here at Fort Hood. I burned up over 400 minutes, mostly by text, during the day of the shooting and the following days, in less than 1 week!!!

darthbooger
11-17-2009, 08:01 PM
I need to think about this one....pm me your cell number Tycho and I'll text you back!
Darthbooger /Tycho = BFF!!! :love:

Tycho
11-17-2009, 08:19 PM
I prefer text messaging because it's just less intrusive and a lot faster for the recipient to read a text versus dialing their voicemail and wading through all the menus to get to the new message (most of the time, my voicemail will make me listen to several old messages before it will even get around to the one new message).

I just hit "1" and my voicemail immediately plays back my newest messages. (on Verizon). This is unless I'm saving old messages for whatever reason and the system wants to delete them. Happens only one time a month I think. And yeah, it's annoying like other things that happen only one time a month (every month) :lipsrsealed:

Plus texts are better if you are passing on names, addresses, phone numbers, flight information, etc. Because it's right there in front of you and you don't have to continually replay the voice message to write the info down yourself.

Oh I agree with you there.

The thing is, people (especially girls) carry on whole phone conversations via texting. I really, really, really, really, really hate that.

No. I should now tell you how I really feel.

It costs me a quarter, whether I open it or not.

I just get unlimited texts (incoming or outgoing) from Verizon. I think it's $5 extra bucks. While I hate them, I'm single and hence if I meet a girl I really want to hear from, I'm at least not spending more money every time she contacts me. :rolleyes:

I prefer texts for a few reasons:

1. I am on the phone ALL day long. The last thing I want to do is spend more time on the phone after work.

Yes, but I am very quick on the phone unless it's one of those later evening things - like "Let's talk to pass time and be lazy."

2. As Big Barada said, it's less intrusive. If I am with friends and someone wants to ask me something or tell me something, a quick text is much easier than picking up the phone, calling, having it go to voicemail, etc.

I agree. It is folks who have text conversations that really annoy me.

3. I get few calls anymore that are really that important and since I am on email and Facebook all day anymore, I am pretty much in touch and up to date on everything that's happening anymore.

Just in case you missed mine:

5:25pm - I am driving to the grocery store.

5:32pm - I just parked my car.

5:34pm - I have selected a shopping cart!

5:37pm - I have located the dairy section and am picking out a brand of milk.

5:39pm - I just remembered I need to bring home some butter!

5:41pm - I am thinking about getting the ingredients to make salad.

5:45pm - I have planned out and executed my journey to the produce section!

5:46pm - I need to quit this for a minute because there she is! Wow. Check out those melons!

Twitter is the biggest waste of time. And you can make sub-lists to text everyone if it's that important:

5:51pm - I met her boyfriend. The paramedics are now taking me to the hospital.

4. Tycho, doesn't your phone have predictive text? It's way easier to type out a quick message these days than it was 10 years ago.

I just bought a DVR. 10 years from now I plan to know how to use it. I also don't like predictive text. I'll make up my own mind how I'm going to say something.

5. I don't have a headset so it's distracting if I am in the middle of something and have to hold my phone to my ear with one hand and try to shop, cook, clean, take a wiz, etc. And I probably don't want to talk to whoever is calling anyways.

I agree with most of what you wrote, but I like to talk to people who call me, and when I can't talk, I carefully explain that.

What REALLY bugs me is someone who texts me and wants to have a whole freakin' conversation!!!

Many people do it because they get free or unlimited texting, so it costs them nothing and costs me a small fortune!

Thank you SK. I think that's part of it, too. People don't want to buy or used up what they bought of minutes - or are saving them - and so they converse via texting.

Well I'm declaring that I will not play that way. I'm leaving voicemail unless I know they can't answer their phone or listen to their v.m. at the moment I need to contact them, or it's directions or numeric info like BigBarada said, which is best written down in the first place.

sith_killer_99
11-17-2009, 09:33 PM
The thing is, people (especially girls) carry on whole phone conversations via texting. I really, really, really, really, really hate that.

Word!

Females, never understood them, never will.

2-1B
11-17-2009, 11:09 PM
I am intexticated and love it, I pay $10 per month for unlimited texting and make good use of it. In July, my account showed that I used over 1,000 texts (sent and received combined, I believe) but last month was only in the 700s so it must have been a down month. lol In many cases, it's replaced email for me as a primary means of communication with many people so really, it's not that different. I will admit that I prefer it to talking to people on many occasions, but then again I never was an avid phone talker.

I don't do it while driving though, and I feel bad for the number of people who will likely be killed by people who text while doing so. Also, I do recognize that it has probably dumbed down the current young generation and impacted their attention spans and communication skills. I feel exempt because I know what it was like before we had this technology. ;)

El Chuxter
11-17-2009, 11:32 PM
I will admit that there have been times (like Comic-Con, where you simply can't hear your phone) where it'd be useful. However, until the carriers at least make it free to receive them, I'm keeping the block on, because I know too many people who send them for no reason. I don't think I should have to pay $5 extra per month to send and receive unlimited messages when I don't use the feature.

Of course, cell phones in general bug me. It's okay to have one, but you don't have to be communicating with other people outside your immediate family, co-workers, or others you're actually in contact with all day long.

Tycho
11-17-2009, 11:38 PM
I agree with much of what El Chuxter is saying.

I'm keeping the block on, because I know too many people who send them for no reason. I don't think I should have to pay $5 extra per month to send and receive unlimited messages when I don't use the feature.

Of course, cell phones in general bug me. It's okay to have one, but you don't have to be communicating with other people outside your immediate family, co-workers, or others you're actually in contact with all day long.

It was useful for finding you to get you Leader Class Starscream. But we did that without text messaging.

On the other hand, you're married Chux, and being able to get messages and send them is essential in the dating scene - a scene I don't plan to leave behind me - as I don't see myself married.

That doesn't excuse girls to keep on texting instead of speaking though!

El Chuxter
11-17-2009, 11:43 PM
It might not be as essential if you were going after women your own age. ;)

Tycho
11-17-2009, 11:46 PM
It might not be as essential if you were going after women your own age. ;)

They're past their expiration date.

Rocketboy
11-18-2009, 01:00 AM
I don't mind texting. I just hate it when people go overboard.

What I loathe is (thanks to the internet, texting and twitter) the way people have slid into illiteracy.
"U" is not "you."
"R" is not "are."
"Ur" is not "your/you're."
ect.

LusiferSam
11-18-2009, 01:06 AM
Simple answer, yes.

Few people know I have a cell phone and fewer people know the number. Of the people that know the number I think only my sister, miss J and miss S would text me. My sister and miss J both know better and I can't image miss S really text me. Of the people who don't know my number miss B would be texting multiple times a day. I shutter to think of the kind of stuff she might be tempted to text me. :rolleyes: And like Tycho said, girls they're all girls. :rolleyes:

Rocketboy
11-18-2009, 01:38 AM
Also, "4" and "2" are not "for" and "to/too."

Mad Slanted Powers
11-18-2009, 01:41 AM
I don't even have a cell phone. I've never been much of a phone person. I do find them to be intrusive. I have TV shows that I like to watch, so it can be annoying to have that interrupted. Of course, with DVR, I can now pause live. Earlier this year I finally got Comcast Digital Voice, so I now have caller ID. I never had that before, just basic phone with no long distance.

When I first heard that cell phones get charged for calls they receive, I didn't think that made any sense. However, since I would not use it that much, it probably wouldn't be an issue. I'd like to get an iPhone, but I have trouble justifying the monthly cost for how little I use it. I'd like to have something more than a basic phone, and it would be nice to have an iPhone since I've always been an Apple person. I'd only really use it on my thrice-yearly business trips. Other than that, it might come in useful once in a while.

As for the text shorthand, it makes sense in the context of texting on a mobile device. It always bugged me when people would type that way in chat rooms. I can understand it to some degree there, though. On a forum such as this, there's no reason why people shouldn't be able to write normal. That doesn't seem to be much of a problem here, though.

sith_killer_99
11-18-2009, 08:36 AM

What I loathe is (thanks to the internet, texting and twitter) the way people have slid into illiteracy.
"U" is not "you."
"R" is not "are."
ect.

Also, "4" and "2" are not "for" and "to/too."

I agree to a certain extent. I give a lot of room for texting though, because soem phones are a REAL pain.

t...u = u

v.s.

w...x...y = y
m...n...o = o
t...u = u

In cases like that, u is generally acceptable IMO, and for good reason. Who wants to spend 10 min. typing a stupid text, which brings us back to ....

JUST CALL!!!

Darth Jax
11-18-2009, 08:37 AM

"U" is not "you."
"R" is not "are."
ect.

and ect. is not et cetera. but then i don't use capitalization, so we all have our issues.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-18-2009, 09:35 AM
and ect. is not et cetera.Indeed, ect. would be "ec tetera."

pbarnard
11-18-2009, 09:44 AM
I find it objectionable that the companies want to charge extra on the one aspect of their service plans for the thing that uses the least amount of network capacity (actually uses very low AM frequencies like conventional walkie-talkies).

Slicker
11-18-2009, 09:57 AM
I prefer text messaging because it's just less intrusive...That's just one of the reasons why I text a lot. The other reasons are just out of necessity. On the trains in Japan it's considered VERY rude to talk on your cell phone so you literally see everyone from the age of 5 all the way up to 85 texting and NOBODY talking on the phone. The other reason is that Japanese phone plans don't give you but a few minutes to use each month. I think I've got 100 minutes and that was the largest plan they had.

pbarnard
11-18-2009, 10:06 AM
US it is the carrier that is in control. They give away the phones, but charge lots more for services.

Rest of World: it is about the phone. They may give fewer minutes, but they include more aspects as part of the package without paying for extra addons. THat's not saying they won't charge if you go over, or you can add more, but I think Slicker can talk about this more, in Japan, many phones come with an RF/IR receiver port that allows them to share information, pay for things at stores etc. These are things the phone does, but not part of any plan.

Rocketboy
11-18-2009, 10:22 AM
and ect. is not et cetera. But using "etc." is an accepted abbreviation, where "what r u doing 2nite?" makes people look like an illiterate fool.

Slicker
11-18-2009, 10:46 AM
...but I think Slicker can talk about this more, in Japan, many phones come with an RF/IR receiver port that allows them to share information, pay for things at stores etc. These are things the phone does, but not part of any plan.Yeah, my phone here is much more advanced. I've got a stripped down version and I have the aforementioned IR reader, I've got a translator, it's got the ability to pay for things at the stores, and it's got a barcode reader that reads certain squares on things and brings up information about it. Most menus have this and you just take a picture of the info box (a box with different shaped pixels in it) and it'll bring up the entire menu on your phone. I pay maybe $50 a month for the plan.

Tycho
11-18-2009, 12:37 PM
I pay $140 a month.

$60/month OF THAT is my broadband for my laptop which I'm using to type this to you right now. I get so much download / upload allowance with that. My biggest draw on my allowance is downloading pictures from my camera to post 'em.

$80 a month is the remainder, but some of that is insurance on my phone and fees, so my plan is probably about $65 or so, and I get 900 minutes of phone time. I used to buy the $45 plan but I always went over my phone minutes and could get and receive only 20 texts or so (about 10 of each). Incoming texts would cause me to exceed my limit, too.

Now I get unlimited texts incoming / outgoing (the subject of this thread) with my plan.

While of course I'd rather spend less, my main issue with all of this is the inconvenience and stress of text typing. Unless absolutely necessary because of the environment I'm in, myself having to text-type just annoys me!

JEDIpartner
11-18-2009, 03:06 PM
It only annoys me if it is excessive. Sometimes it's nice to get a simple "hello" from someone. Addresses are nice to get if you are going someplace you've not been before.

I can't stand people who text endlessly whilst in the company of others. I think that's rude. Equally rude are the people who constantly pick up calls whilst socialising.

I leave my phone in my car unless I'm supposed to be meeting up with someone.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-18-2009, 07:22 PM
But using "etc." is an accepted abbreviation, where "what r u doing 2nite?" makes people look like an illiterate fool.Yes, etc. is acceptable, but ect. is incorrect.

JimJamBonds
11-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Generally it doesn't annoy me, however I prefer a 30 second conversation to 10-12 messages going back and forth to determine something really simple like "where are we going for lunch?"

LTBasker
11-18-2009, 07:41 PM
But using "etc." is an accepted abbreviation, where "what r u doing 2nite?" makes people look like an illiterate fool.

Although I'm quite curious if "etc." and "et al." were seen as annoying when they were introduced.

pbarnard
11-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Although I'm quite curious if "etc." and "et al." were seen as annoying when they were introduced.

Probably not in the typerwriter/type setting publishing days. Less wear on the parts and kept costs down by taking up less on the printed page.

LusiferSam
11-18-2009, 09:51 PM

No, but I'm sure the Romans would be ticked if they could see what we have done to their Latin.

LTBasker
11-19-2009, 12:35 AM
I'm sure the Romans would be ticked at alot of things. Probably mostly the lack of male clothing that allows for breezes to the crotch area.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-20-2009, 08:34 AM
Case in point: last night, in a public restroom, in the stall next to me there was some guy texting. Will he wash his phone after? :sad: Is his life so fast and out-of-control that THAT is the easiest time to send a message? :eek:

JEDIpartner
11-20-2009, 12:05 PM
I've ENDED social visits with people because of incessant text messaging. Mind you, they were warned.
:upset:

El Chuxter
11-20-2009, 12:57 PM
I've got a niece who can't separate herself from her phone. She'll bring a friend to family get-togethers, and they'll sit right next to each other, texting. They even text one another to tell what other friends texted them. That ain't right.

Tycho
11-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Case in point: last night, in a public restroom, in the stall next to me there was some guy texting. Will he wash his phone after? :sad: Is his life so fast and out-of-control that THAT is the easiest time to send a message? :eek:

I've just selected a stall.
There's a little yellow because someone left the seat down.
I had to wipe it off.
Then I flushed because the person who used it before me was rude and didn't.
It still smells like him.
I'm getting out the paper cover now.
It doesn't quite cover every inch of the seat.
I have to rip up small strips of toilet paper to add to the seat cover so that I'm covered.
I hate that because I really got to squeeze the first one out.
Wait: here it comes. I'll update my FB page with a photo shortly!
There was a loud splash with this one.
My bottom was hit by the backwash!
Here comes the second turd.
I'm still on target.
It's away!
It didn't go in. It just impacted on the surface.
I really have to wipe good now.
OK. We're going in and we're going in full throttle.
That ought to keep more turds off the back of my legs.
At that speed I just hope I'll be able to pull up in time.
It'll be just like my porcillan throne back home.

[VERIZON WIRELESS INTERRUPTS THIS MESSAGE FEED TO INFORM YOU THAT YOU WILL EXCEED USAGE MEMORY ALLOWANCE AND WILL INCUR ADDITIONAL CHARGES. NOW BACK TO YOUR REGULAR UPDATES...]

They even text one another to tell what other friends texted them. That ain't right.

That's why you've got to be careful who you text and what you text them.

El Chuxter
11-20-2009, 01:29 PM
No, I meant that two people are RIGHT BESIDE ONE ANOTHER and incapable of speaking. They're that dependent upon their phones.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-20-2009, 09:20 PM
I have almost run into several people lately (most older than I am... if that's possible :rolleyes: ) who aren't even looking up as they're texting.

Don't get me started on young people's inability to go more than 40 minutes without sending an innane or useless message, often about why someone hasn't sent them a message or to just send them a message. :upset:

It has its place, but it should not replace actual communicating.

JetsAndHeels
11-20-2009, 09:35 PM
It has its place, but it should not replace actual communicating.

I think that's the best thing that can be said of text messaging, period.

LTBasker
11-21-2009, 03:42 AM
I've just selected a stall.
There's a little yellow because someone left the seat down.
I had to wipe it off.
Then I flushed because the person who used it before me was rude and didn't.
It still smells like him.
I'm getting out the paper cover now.
It doesn't quite cover every inch of the seat.
I have to rip up small strips of toilet paper to add to the seat cover so that I'm covered.
I hate that because I really got to squeeze the first one out.
Wait: here it comes. I'll update my FB page with a photo shortly!
There was a loud splash with this one.
My bottom was hit by the backwash!
Here comes the second turd.
I'm still on target.
It's away!
It didn't go in. It just impacted on the surface.
I really have to wipe good now.
OK. We're going in and we're going in full throttle.
That ought to keep more turds off the back of my legs.
At that speed I just hope I'll be able to pull up in time.
It'll be just like my porcillan throne back home.

Too coherent, let's translate:

-omgaseat
-ew liek P evry wrz
-P pwnage
-had 2 flsh, n00b left teh flotr
-teh stall reekz
-grm pwnage!!!11
-fail ter is bear spt
-tolet ppr sckz 2 mess wit
-omg i hav 2 goz
-ul hav 2 C dis
-sPLShDwN!!!!1
-wtf backsplsh
-omgwtfbbq anthr!!!1
-stil on targt L ol
-itz away!!!1
-no go it mpakted sirface
-getin teh clenz
-oK goin in ful thortlez
-tht awta kep teh trd fightrz off me
-omg 2 fst
-jst liek home roflamo

I'm going to go sterilize my fingers with a concoction of holy water and bleach within the potted inferno of boiling water.

Tycho
11-21-2009, 11:23 AM
Grrrr. A girl I go out with is a nurse. She can't talk on the phone at work, but to go to dinner and a movie tonight it's already required me to text 5 messages beginning at 7:45 this morning.

Now I'm sucked into that whole "Twilight" / "New Moon" thing. Maybe it'll be good. But it's her weekend to pick 'em.

I'm glad this thread is here. I needed to vent! So much easier typing on a keyboard.

Hey - I can send texts from my computer's broadband, but it's a different phone number, yet I can type fast on my natural keyboard - and typing on my little phone is a huge part of what annoys me about text messaging.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-21-2009, 11:28 AM
I'm glad this thread is here. I needed to vent! So much easier typing on a keyboard.

Hey - I can send texts from my computer's broadband, but it's a different phone number, yet I can type fast on my natural keyboard - and typing on my little phone is a huge part of what annoys me about text messaging.How interesting; that having more space to create legitimate conversation and expand one's ideas is better than bland simplistic banter. :rolleyes:

JimJamBonds
11-22-2009, 12:48 PM

Same goes for people that talk on the phone in the bathroom.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-22-2009, 02:36 PM
If he is texting in the bathroom, it might be sexting.

Tycho
11-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Same goes for people that talk on the phone in the bathroom.

I purposely try and make my loudest, best flagelating sounds when I hear that going on (and I fake vomit and flush the toilet a lot). :D :twisted:

Mad Slanted Powers
11-22-2009, 04:30 PM
I purposely try and make my loudest, best flagelating sounds when I hear that going on (and I fake vomit and flush the toilet a lot). :D :twisted:
Imitate that scene from Austin Powers. Say things like, "Who does #2 work for."

Tycho
11-23-2009, 01:01 AM
It's more like Dumb and Dumber :crazed:

But I could add the shout, "OMG - would somebody please call my doctor and a plumber!" to my repertoire.

I also happened to have my Remote Controlled Farting Machine with me one day when I had this scenerio provide me with the chance to use it.

But really, I can make much louder fart noises if I intiate them myself.

JediTricks
11-23-2009, 05:33 AM
I am quick on the phone. It takes less time to leave a simple voice mail than it does to hit each key 3-4 times to get the right letter on your cell phone. Let alone I tire of using symbols and shift keys to get the right punctuation / grammar down.

Next, while I could spend for one of those phones with the full pull-out keyboard, since I loathe text messaging in the first place, why patronize it with $50 to $100 more bucks? (I get a good discount upgrading my phone for Verizon points or whatever their rebate offer is - but they still get at least $50 more off of me - and for what? Annoying me further?)First off, you are NOT quick to leave voicemails. Almost every voicemail you've ever left me is a minimum of 2 minutes, and most of that is you not getting to the point until nearly the end. I often have to save each one and listen to it later because I don't have time to hear the whole thing right away. And it costs me daytime minutes to either answer the phone or check my voicemail.

Second, predictive text (aka T9) is fast as hell. I can bang out a full 160-character message in under 30 seconds with it. The full qwerty thumbboard on my new phone is fast too. Anybody who complains about slow texting is either not trying very hard, or very very bad with push-button-phone technology because they are a neanderthal. :cross-eye

Third, punctuation is fairly simple with T9, and rarely even necessary. Just know how to spell a word correctly and T9 will take care of it. Ignorance means having to ABC-tap the word wrong, or you could buy a phone with a slide-out keyboard, and I know for a fact that Verizon offers one that has a touchpad face and a physical keyboard as a trade-in.

If paying to be annoyed is "in," JediTricks should pay ME to post on this message board :D (and bring Stillakid back and give him a salary!)

I cannot text you back when I am driving. When I am tired or sleepy, I don't want to wake up and concentrate so I can at least write something coherent. I'd rather just muble into the speaker.Oh, you do NOT want to start with me on this, pal. Guess what? Unlike a call, with text messaging you can just get back to me AFTER you're done driving, or taking a whiz, or feeding your cats. You call me ALL THE DAMNED TIME when I'm on the phone or driving or trying to get to sleep or watching TV to talk about nothing, like a teenage girl you are. I can't stand teenage girls, not even when I was a teenager. And you're one of them, sport.

If you cannot answer your phone, I understand. If it's urgent I can text you so you can read my message immediately: "Your house is on fire!" or "Want to see a movie that starts in about only another hour from now?" If it's not that important, I can leave a voicemail from bed without even opening my eyes: "Want to go to Disneyland NEXT MONTH?" I think you can phone, leave a voicemail, or text in plenty of time to respond to that.Maybe sometimes I don't want to spend all damned day on the phone shooting the proverbial s**t simply because I had a QUICK question to ask and you can't take the hint that I have to get off the phone. :D Would you be complaining like this if we were talking about emails instead of texts? No! But then again, you SUCK at email despite having the same incomprehensible address for the last decade. And PS, Disneyland was YOUR idea for YOUR birthday, it's not my fault your doctor wanted to move the surgery to a week before. Sometimes it's just a quick concept to convey, doesn't need a phone call, I can talk to you at either of our leisure when it's just a conversation, but sometimes it's easier to bang out a text in 10 seconds and then move on with my life to doing work or talking on the phone with someone else or whatever than making a call. Hell, I haven't seen or talked to my buddy Rob in 8 months because he and I aren't usually in the same area, we just text and send photos of our TF finds. Join the 21st century for corn's sake, it's just an instant mobile email. You friggin' blew up my ICQ back in the day with IMs all damned day and night, but NOW you want to complain about instant text communications?!?
:p

Texting kicks ***, I can even text my own email when I want to remind myself of something and don't have the time to go into my phone's email system.

And what is it with girls and texts?Women generally have a lot of thoughts swirling around their minds at once, analyzing and comparing and hyperthreading ideas. Plus, texting for them is safer because they can say things on the page that they might not have the nerve to say over the phone or in person. I tried to explain this to you 2 years ago, but since I didn't sell you a book, it didn't set into your brain until '09.

They were never that electronically competent before. Remember when Atari Missile Command was for boys only? That's a dopey stereotype, my mom was playing Atari 2600 games when I was a kid, my sister was way into the NES and Sega Genesis. Plus, you are still using that dinosaur of a laptop that looks like a whole second laptop sitting under the first half and has that humongous charging cable, and you only got an HD feed this month for that HDTV you've had forever because your building changed to it.

Put down the rotary phone and stop being a luddite. Besides, I don't hear you so thrilled to pay those daytime minute charges - though even when you WANT to get off the phone, it takes you 20 more minutes. Yeah, I said it! :D

I find it extremely annoying. What's worst about it is that you cannot convince friends and family not to text you worthless, stupid, inane garbage. Someone wants to text, "What's up?" It costs me a quarter, whether I open it or not.

So I got text messaging blocked entirely on all our phones. It's ridiculous that cell phones replaced pagers, and now paging is a "premium" service that costs extra. I'm not going to be a part of it.Geez, nice phone plan there, gramps. You gonna yell at kids to get off your lawn too?

I will go the Twitter route and limit my response to under 140 characters:

Yes. Quite annoyed.Twitter tweets are limited to 140 characters because they are intended to receive blog entries from SMS text messages which are limited to 160 characters (so that's 140 for the tweet and 20 for the username).

I do hate text messaging, they cost me 5 cents each, or 1/2 a minute from my (10 cents per minute) pre-paid service. Yeah, I use Net10, I'm not getting locked into any stupid contracts!!!Phew, it stinks in here from all the old-fart cell-plans you guys have. There's a ton of better pre-paid services that offer unlimited texts, like Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile and Metro PCS and a few others.

I just hit "1" and my voicemail immediately plays back my newest messages. (on Verizon). This is unless I'm saving old messages for whatever reason and the system wants to delete them. Happens only one time a month I think. And yeah, it's annoying like other things that happen only one time a month (every month) :lipsrsealed:I think on Verizon those voicemail checks cost you normal minutes. I know that's the case with my carrier, Sprint. Old messages on any voicemail are deleted based on how old the message is, not on a regular purge, my sister has Verizon and that's the case with hers.

Yes, but I am very quick on the phone unless it's one of those later evening things - like "Let's talk to pass time and be lazy."HA! Right. That's only true when YOU need to get off the phone, pity the poor sucker caught in tar on the other end.

I just bought a DVR. 10 years from now I plan to know how to use it. I also don't like predictive text. I'll make up my own mind how I'm going to say something.You didn't BUY the DVR, I hope. Just rent it from the cable company for $10 a month, better than dropping $6.50 a month on a cable card plus $13 a month on DVR service (eat it Tivo!). Predictive text doesn't decide how you say something, it just requires less button pushes to get there, assuming that you know how to spell and thus giving you options of words those button presses could be intending. T9 is awesome, you can text 1-handed while brushing your teeth.

I am intexticated and love it, I pay $10 per month for unlimited texting and make good use of it. In July, my account showed that I used over 1,000 texts (sent and received combined, I believe) but last month was only in the 700s so it must have been a down month. lol In many cases, it's replaced email for me as a primary means of communication with many people so really, it's not that different. I will admit that I prefer it to talking to people on many occasions, but then again I never was an avid phone talker.

I don't do it while driving though, and I feel bad for the number of people who will likely be killed by people who text while doing so. Also, I do recognize that it has probably dumbed down the current young generation and impacted their attention spans and communication skills. I feel exempt because I know what it was like before we had this technology. ;)Damn boy, you are WAAAAY ahead of me. My plan comes with unlimited texts and picture mail and I can't touch your usage. I do like talking though, just not always.

I have texted while driving enough to know it's incredibly stupid and unsafe and VERY easy to get in danger doing, and have been lucky enough not to have hurt anybody or damaged anything in the process. I no longer do it at all, and rarely mess with my MP3 or GPS either.

I will admit that there have been times (like Comic-Con, where you simply can't hear your phone) where it'd be useful. However, until the carriers at least make it free to receive them, I'm keeping the block on, because I know too many people who send them for no reason. I don't think I should have to pay $5 extra per month to send and receive unlimited messages when I don't use the feature.Tycho every year tries to call me while I'm in the exhibitor hall with 50k other people, my vibrate motor doesn't do that much so I almost NEVER hear his call, and then even when I do, he can't hear what I'm saying. Texting is A1 vital for Comic-Con, especially when Tycho is making himself and Figrin Bran run late for our annual lunch get together. ;)

Of course, cell phones in general bug me. It's okay to have one, but you don't have to be communicating with other people outside your immediate family, co-workers, or others you're actually in contact with all day long."And damn that solar power! Back in my day, we had coal in our lungs and that's the way we liked it!!!"

I agree with much of what El Chuxter is saying.That's because you're both prematurely geezering. Now go back to turning the crank on your Ford Model-T so you can saunter down to the Five-n-Dime to get some more tonic, the latest issue of The Saturday Evening Post, and some lamp oil to read it by.

"U" is not "you."
"R" is not "are."
ect.

Also, "4" and "2" are not "for" and "to/too."With a 160-character limit, it's understandable when used in moderation. They are clear and reasonable homonyms, after all. However, there are kids these days who don't know the difference between that and real language, don't know that when ur pssed at sum1, u don't use txtspk when you email them a ltr. (My niece did that recently, I was more worried for her ability to communicate than the fact that she was throwing a fit.)

I find it objectionable that the companies want to charge extra on the one aspect of their service plans for the thing that uses the least amount of network capacity (actually uses very low AM frequencies like conventional walkie-talkies).Ah, but doesn't their system has to treat a text like POP3 mail? It has to process, log, send out, and send receipt of every text, all in realtime. A voice call has less receipts and logs and such to send around, I'd think.

That's just one of the reasons why I text a lot. The other reasons are just out of necessity. On the trains in Japan it's considered VERY rude to talk on your cell phone so you literally see everyone from the age of 5 all the way up to 85 texting and NOBODY talking on the phone. The other reason is that Japanese phone plans don't give you but a few minutes to use each month. I think I've got 100 minutes and that was the largest plan they had.
That's a crazy low amount of minutes, but it makes sense. I hate being in an elevator with someone who is on the phone, and I hate being the guy in the elevator who is on the phone.

But using "etc." is an accepted abbreviation, where "what r u doing 2nite?" makes people look like an illiterate fool.And yet it was quite easy to read. In fact, I found that message easier to read than a few of the common misspells that we have on the forums, such as "saem" instead of "same".

Yeah, my phone here is much more advanced. I've got a stripped down version and I have the aforementioned IR reader, I've got a translator, it's got the ability to pay for things at the stores, and it's got a barcode reader that reads certain squares on things and brings up information about it. Most menus have this and you just take a picture of the info box (a box with different shaped pixels in it) and it'll bring up the entire menu on your phone. I pay maybe $50 a month for the plan.The barcode reader you mention sounds like it is an EZcode (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EZcode) reader, my phone has that too, it's kinda cool. A bunch of the pedicabs around Comic-Con this year had those EZcodes on them. Too bad my phone's native web browser sucks and it won't send to my downloaded Opera Mini web browser which rules, so any EZcode I scan just goes to my crappy WAP phone browser.

I can't stand people who text endlessly whilst in the company of others. I think that's rude. Equally rude are the people who constantly pick up calls whilst socialising.That drives me nuts when people stop interacting face-to-face to send a text. Sometimes it's necessary, but at least excuse yourself if it's important.

Yes, etc. is acceptable, but ect. is incorrect.Don't judge, Carrie Fisher got ECT and now she's feeling much more stable. ;) (ECT stands for Electroconvulsive Therapy, aka shock therapy.)

No, but I'm sure the Romans would be ticked if they could see what we have done to their Latin.I bet, all their "U"s not looking like "V"s anymore.

I've got a niece who can't separate herself from her phone. She'll bring a friend to family get-togethers, and they'll sit right next to each other, texting. They even text one another to tell what other friends texted them. That ain't right.My sister and I are in our early 30s and yet at family gatherings will occasionally text with each other stuff we don't want to share with the rest of the family. We are covert about it though... usually. Giggling is rarely covert.

I have almost run into several people lately (most older than I am... if that's possible :rolleyes: ) who aren't even looking up as they're texting.Funny, I don't usually have to look down at the phone when I'm texting anymore. :p

It has its place, but it should not replace actual communicating.Says the man who has known me a decade and yet the only way we've ever communicated is via online internet forums.

Hey - I can send texts from my computer's broadband, but it's a different phone number, yet I can type fast on my natural keyboard - and typing on my little phone is a huge part of what annoys me about text messaging.There are ways to send texts from your computer that have your phone number, and there are ways to send texts so that you get responses in an IM window like AIM, and there are ways to send texts so you get responses in your email. Maybe you can just carry your laptop around with you everywhere you go and bring it out whenever you have to text. ;)

How interesting; that having more space to create legitimate conversation and expand one's ideas is better than bland simplistic banter. :rolleyes:Again: says the guy who has known me longer than some of my family members yet we've never met or even heard the sound of eachothers' voices.

Same goes for people that talk on the phone in the bathroom.That is annoying, but I'd rather they be talking to someone on the phone than to me while we're in there. I hate hate HATE when people want to communicate face-to-face while in the loo, especially strangers who want to open up a dialogue. It's the toilet, it's for business, not for socializing.

LTBasker
11-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Good grief, JT. I hope you were gloves for that hole ripping, they're not going to be walking right for awhile! Glad I didn't get caught in the middle of that, my walk is already odd.

However, there are kids these days who don't know the difference between that and real language, don't know that when ur pssed at sum1, u don't use txtspk when you email them a ltr.

Did you just bypass the swear filter? :p

Bel-Cam Jos
11-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Put down the rotary phone and stop being a luddite. Besides, I don't hear you so thrilled to pay those daytime minute charges - though even when you WANT to get off the phone, it takes you 20 more minutes. Yeah, I said it! :D

Geez, nice phone plan there, gramps. You gonna yell at kids to get off your lawn too?

"And damn that solar power! Back in my day, we had coal in our lungs and that's the way we liked it!!!"

That's because you're both prematurely geezering. Now go back to turning the crank on your Ford Model-T so you can saunter down to the Five-n-Dime to get some more tonic, the latest issue of The Saturday Evening Post, and some lamp oil to read it by.

That drives me nuts when people stop interacting face-to-face to send a text. Sometimes it's necessary, but at least excuse yourself if it's important.

I bet, all their "U"s not looking like "V"s anymore.

Funny, I don't usually have to look down at the phone when I'm texting anymore. :p

Says the man who has known me a decade and yet the only way we've ever communicated is via online internet forums.

Again: says the guy who has known me longer than some of my family members yet we've never met or even heard the sound of eachothers' voices.Wow. Now, how long would all THAT have taken in text-mode? :p

JT, we've tried to meet in real life (does anyone use that acronym anymore?) a couple times at various events, but no luck. Or perhaps, it's what's meant to be. As for the only speaking virtually, I don't think I've needed to get an immediate face-to-face (or voice-to-voice) answer so far. Perhaps that's to change someday, too.

And don't diss the old technology and old geezer-isms; in 2012, all those fancy new-fangled toys won't work, and I'll be there with my rotary phone! [whisper, whisper] Really? Dag nabbit! :mad:

I have students who tell me, "why is '2' or '4' or 'U' circled in red on my essay?" Why? Let me get out my soapbox, and...:tired:

Ando
11-23-2009, 11:36 AM
first off, you are not quick to leave voicemails. Almost every voicemail you've ever left me is a minimum of 2 minutes, and most of that is you not getting to the point until nearly the end. I often have to save each one and listen to it later because i don't have time to hear the whole thing right away. And it costs me daytime minutes to either answer the phone or check my voicemail.

Second, predictive text (aka t9) is fast as hell. I can bang out a full 160-character message in under 30 seconds with it. The full qwerty thumbboard on my new phone is fast too. Anybody who complains about slow texting is either not trying very hard, or very very bad with push-button-phone technology because they are a neanderthal. :cross-eye

third, punctuation is fairly simple with t9, and rarely even necessary. Just know how to spell a word correctly and t9 will take care of it. Ignorance means having to abc-tap the word wrong, or you could buy a phone with a slide-out keyboard, and i know for a fact that verizon offers one that has a touchpad face and a physical keyboard as a trade-in.

Oh, you do not want to start with me on this, pal. Guess what? Unlike a call, with text messaging you can just get back to me after you're done driving, or taking a whiz, or feeding your cats. You call me all the damned time when i'm on the phone or driving or trying to get to sleep or watching tv to talk about nothing, like a teenage girl you are. I can't stand teenage girls, not even when i was a teenager. And you're one of them, sport.

Maybe sometimes i don't want to spend all damned day on the phone shooting the proverbial s**t simply because i had a quick question to ask and you can't take the hint that i have to get off the phone. :d would you be complaining like this if we were talking about emails instead of texts? No! But then again, you suck at email despite having the same incomprehensible address for the last decade. And ps, disneyland was your idea for your birthday, it's not my fault your doctor wanted to move the surgery to a week before. Sometimes it's just a quick concept to convey, doesn't need a phone call, i can talk to you at either of our leisure when it's just a conversation, but sometimes it's easier to bang out a text in 10 seconds and then move on with my life to doing work or talking on the phone with someone else or whatever than making a call. Hell, i haven't seen or talked to my buddy rob in 8 months because he and i aren't usually in the same area, we just text and send photos of our tf finds. Join the 21st century for corn's sake, it's just an instant mobile email. You friggin' blew up my icq back in the day with ims all damned day and night, but now you want to complain about instant text communications?!?
:p

texting kicks ***, i can even text my own email when i want to remind myself of something and don't have the time to go into my phone's email system.

Women generally have a lot of thoughts swirling around their minds at once, analyzing and comparing and hyperthreading ideas. Plus, texting for them is safer because they can say things on the page that they might not have the nerve to say over the phone or in person. I tried to explain this to you 2 years ago, but since i didn't sell you a book, it didn't set into your brain until '09.

That's a dopey stereotype, my mom was playing atari 2600 games when i was a kid, my sister was way into the nes and sega genesis. Plus, you are still using that dinosaur of a laptop that looks like a whole second laptop sitting under the first half and has that humongous charging cable, and you only got an hd feed this month for that hdtv you've had forever because your building changed to it.

Put down the rotary phone and stop being a luddite. Besides, i don't hear you so thrilled to pay those daytime minute charges - though even when you want to get off the phone, it takes you 20 more minutes. Yeah, i said it! :d

geez, nice phone plan there, gramps. You gonna yell at kids to get off your lawn too?

Twitter tweets are limited to 140 characters because they are intended to receive blog entries from sms text messages which are limited to 160 characters (so that's 140 for the tweet and 20 for the username).

Phew, it stinks in here from all the old-fart cell-plans you guys have. There's a ton of better pre-paid services that offer unlimited texts, like boost mobile and virgin mobile and metro pcs and a few others.

I think on verizon those voicemail checks cost you normal minutes. I know that's the case with my carrier, sprint. Old messages on any voicemail are deleted based on how old the message is, not on a regular purge, my sister has verizon and that's the case with hers.
Ha! Right. That's only true when you need to get off the phone, pity the poor sucker caught in tar on the other end.

You didn't buy the dvr, i hope. Just rent it from the cable company for $10 a month, better than dropping $6.50 a month on a cable card plus $13 a month on dvr service (eat it tivo!). Predictive text doesn't decide how you say something, it just requires less button pushes to get there, assuming that you know how to spell and thus giving you options of words those button presses could be intending. T9 is awesome, you can text 1-handed while brushing your teeth.

Damn boy, you are waaaay ahead of me. My plan comes with unlimited texts and picture mail and i can't touch your usage. I do like talking though, just not always.

I have texted while driving enough to know it's incredibly stupid and unsafe and very easy to get in danger doing, and have been lucky enough not to have hurt anybody or damaged anything in the process. I no longer do it at all, and rarely mess with my mp3 or gps either.

Tycho every year tries to call me while i'm in the exhibitor hall with 50k other people, my vibrate motor doesn't do that much so i almost never hear his call, and then even when i do, he can't hear what i'm saying. Texting is a1 vital for comic-con, especially when tycho is making himself and figrin bran run late for our annual lunch get together. ;)

"and damn that solar power! Back in my day, we had coal in our lungs and that's the way we liked it!!!"

that's because you're both prematurely geezering. Now go back to turning the crank on your ford model-t so you can saunter down to the five-n-dime to get some more tonic, the latest issue of the saturday evening post, and some lamp oil to read it by.

With a 160-character limit, it's understandable when used in moderation. They are clear and reasonable homonyms, after all. However, there are kids these days who don't know the difference between that and real language, don't know that when ur pssed at sum1, u don't use txtspk when you email them a ltr. (my niece did that recently, i was more worried for her ability to communicate than the fact that she was throwing a fit.)

ah, but doesn't their system has to treat a text like pop3 mail? It has to process, log, send out, and send receipt of every text, all in realtime. A voice call has less receipts and logs and such to send around, i'd think.

That's a crazy low amount of minutes, but it makes sense. I hate being in an elevator with someone who is on the phone, and i hate being the guy in the elevator who is on the phone.

And yet it was quite easy to read. In fact, i found that message easier to read than a few of the common misspells that we have on the forums, such as "saem" instead of "same".

The barcode reader you mention sounds like it is an ezcode (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ezcode) reader, my phone has that too, it's kinda cool. A bunch of the pedicabs around comic-con this year had those ezcodes on them. Too bad my phone's native web browser sucks and it won't send to my downloaded opera mini web browser which rules, so any ezcode i scan just goes to my crappy wap phone browser.

That drives me nuts when people stop interacting face-to-face to send a text. Sometimes it's necessary, but at least excuse yourself if it's important.

Don't judge, carrie fisher got ect and now she's feeling much more stable. ;) (ect stands for electroconvulsive therapy, aka shock therapy.)

i bet, all their "u"s not looking like "v"s anymore.

My sister and i are in our early 30s and yet at family gatherings will occasionally text with each other stuff we don't want to share with the rest of the family. We are covert about it though... Usually. Giggling is rarely covert.

Funny, i don't usually have to look down at the phone when i'm texting anymore. :p

says the man who has known me a decade and yet the only way we've ever communicated is via online internet forums.

There are ways to send texts from your computer that have your phone number, and there are ways to send texts so that you get responses in an im window like aim, and there are ways to send texts so you get responses in your email. Maybe you can just carry your laptop around with you everywhere you go and bring it out whenever you have to text. ;)

again: Says the guy who has known me longer than some of my family members yet we've never met or even heard the sound of eachothers' voices.

That is annoying, but i'd rather they be talking to someone on the phone than to me while we're in there. I hate hate hate when people want to communicate face-to-face while in the loo, especially strangers who want to open up a dialogue. It's the toilet, it's for business, not for socializing.

pow! Best. Post. Ever.

Tycho
11-23-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm sure I was insulted the most here and yet I was laughing out loud.

That was a great post. This thread's a lot of fun.

I'll tell you what: I won't change from the stone age just so we can keep this thread going :D

JediTricks
11-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Did you just bypass the swear filter? :pWhat? I said "passed". :thumbsup:

Wow. Now, how long would all THAT have taken in text-mode? :pThe hard part would have been reading the rest of this thread in text. :D

JT, we've tried to meet in real life (does anyone use that acronym anymore?) a couple times at various events, but no luck. Or perhaps, it's what's meant to be. As for the only speaking virtually, I don't think I've needed to get an immediate face-to-face (or voice-to-voice) answer so far. Perhaps that's to change someday, too.People do use "IRL" still on rare occasion, and I always have to scratch my head because I'm not used to real life. I'm sure we'll meet someday.

And don't diss the old technology and old geezer-isms; in 2012, all those fancy new-fangled toys won't work, and I'll be there with my rotary phone! [whisper, whisper] Really? Dag nabbit! :mad:Yeah, that's the year the Mayans steal all the zinc.

I have students who tell me, "why is '2' or '4' or 'U' circled in red on my essay?" Why? Let me get out my soapbox, and...:tired:hit them with a soapbox? Sounds like a plan!

I'm sure I was insulted the most here and yet I was laughing out loud.

That was a great post. This thread's a lot of fun.

I'll tell you what: I won't change from the stone age just so we can keep this thread going :DHaw! And you texted me just a few minutes ago no less about not texting. :p I just woke up so not ready to talk yet, but I have a funny quick tale to share with y'all about Tycho and voicemails/texting.

So, recently, we were talking about going to Disneyland around Tycho's birthday, including a mutual friend and some friends of his. Then, I take a call from Tycho and we're on the phone for a while talking about this and that, he mentions that he may have to move the date of the park visit due to a schedule change to a small surgery he's having. We leave it at "we'll see" status and the call ends. 3 days later, Tycho calls me at noon while I'm on the home phone, I get a chance to check the voicemail and he's left a moderate-length message rehashing the same info about possibly delaying Disneyland as if it's new info. Thinking he just left a message that MEANT to say something more about the get-together, I texted him right back, even though I was busy doing something else, because I wanted to catch him while it was fresh in his mind. His text response: "Just check vm later" to which I replied "I did, nothing sounded different from when we last spoke". That was all that was said.

The upshot? Tycho called during DAYTIME MINUTES to rehash the EXACT SAME INFORMATION we had ALREADY SPENT 30 MINUTES 3 DAYS PRIOR discussing, with NO NEW UPDATED INFORMATION to add.

That is why texting can be beneficial. :pleased:

LTBasker
11-23-2009, 03:31 PM
What? I said "passed". :thumbsup:

That doesn't make sense, but I suppose that's the entire point parodying obsessive texters. Touche.

Tycho
11-23-2009, 03:56 PM
I'd forgotten we'd talked JT. Because I actually have to try and coordinate Disneyland with 5 or more friends from San Diego, yourself, our mutual friend from Pasadena, and another friend and maybe his wife, from the Anaheim area, so I talked to at least 8 people about it. Maybe I should write down who I called about what?

Anyway I only will feel like going once so we might as well have as many from this group as we can because afterwards I'll probably say "no thanks," for the next trip (though we could do Knott's, Universal Studios, or Magic Mountain instead - but Disney has to be at some point because that's what Michelle is planning on).

And I can get lonely often in these later years, so I AM going through my "teenage-girl stage with my phone" - usually after peak time but I buy 900 minutes a month and usually don't use all of them or even close to it.

Meanwhile, if anyone else here can join us for Disneyland sometime around mid-December (we don't know exactly what day yet) - you're invited! :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
11-23-2009, 05:28 PM
So, I'm a geezer if I don't want to be charged for a service I don't use? I simply don't see a benefit to texting in most circumstances, and think it's ridiculous to charge people for receiving unsolicited texts, whether they're read or not. It's either block the service, or pay for each, "Hey, what's up LOL?" message I get.

pbarnard
11-23-2009, 05:49 PM
So, I'm a geezer if I don't want to be charged for a service I don't use? I simply don't see a benefit to texting in most circumstances, and think it's ridiculous to charge people for receiving unsolicited texts, whether they're read or not. It's either block the service, or pay for each, "Hey, what's up LOL?" message I get.

Exactly. We have a texting/data plan jar. Everytime some one receives/sends or uses one or the other, the wife and I put money in from our own little monthly allowances. End of the year, it buys well nothing, because we got people to stop sending us texts. :yes:

Darth Jax
11-23-2009, 07:23 PM
i pay so much for minutes, that i don't notice the small fee every month for unlimited texts. i'd certainly notice triple digit fees if i paid per text though. so much easier to "talk" to people while i'm at work if i can text them, rather than having to pick up the phone. conversation can take place at leisurely pace depending on how busy either party is.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-23-2009, 07:42 PM
In looking at the iPhone plans, it's $5 a month for 200 texts. Since they charge $0.20 per text, if you were to send or receive more than 25 a month, it would be worth it to get that plan. That would allow 6-7 texts a day. If I ever get one, that is the plan I would choose. I doubt I would be doing a lot of texting, so 200 would probably be more than enough. My problem is that I don't use the phone that much, so the rest of the plan would be a bit pricey. $30 for data and $39.99 for their 450 plan. Add the $5 and I'd be at $75 a month.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-23-2009, 07:47 PM
So, I'm a geezer if I don't want to be charged for a service I don't use? I simply don't see a benefit to texting in most circumstances, and think it's ridiculous to charge people for receiving unsolicited texts, whether they're read or not. It's either block the service, or pay for each, "Hey, what's up LOL?" message I get.Hmmm... let's see. In the "olden days," people were charged when they decided to a) MAKE A CALL THEMSELVES, or b) accept charges for collect calls. Now, if someone calls/texts you, you are charged no matter what? That only makes cents, but no sense. THAT'S why much of this won't change: da money. :greedy:

Mad Slanted Powers
11-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Hmmm... let's see. In the "olden days," people were charged when they decided to a) MAKE A CALL THEMSELVES, or b) accept charges for collect calls. Now, if someone calls/texts you, you are charged no matter what? That only makes cents, but no sense. THAT'S why much of this won't change: da money. :greedy:
Yep, they get to double dip and get paid twice for the same call. Perhaps sometime in the future things will change.

Years ago, our home phone outside of the city could make local calls to the rest of the county, but calls into Bellingham were long distance. It was that way for all the county prefixes. About the time I finished college, some of the county prefixes could then call the city, but ours was not one of them. That made it a bit tricky when I was first getting on the internet and AOL didn't have a county number. Plus, my mom had chosen a plan in which our monthly fee was lower, but we got charged a small amount even for local calls. So, when I got an ISP with a local number, we had large phone bills until we changed the plan. A couple years later we could make free calls to the city, and it all became moot.

Tycho
11-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Hmmm... let's see. In the "olden days," people were charged when they decided to a) MAKE A CALL THEMSELVES, or b) accept charges for collect calls. Now, if someone calls/texts you, you are charged no matter what? That only makes cents, but no sense. THAT'S why much of this won't change: da money. :greedy:

Good point! If we're making teams here, I'll play on El Chuxter and Bel-Cam Jos' side.

Hmmm. Sounds familiar guys. Remember "The Resculpt Menace" when we used to collaborate on stories online here?

El Chuxter
11-23-2009, 09:12 PM
I'll sign up for text messaging... when either it's truly free, or they charge me the roughly $0.01 per message it'd be if I bought a plan--to send only, not receive. Being charged for received messages is sorta like being charged for a pay-per-view movie if they happen to advertise it on a channel I'm watching.

JediTricks
11-24-2009, 08:55 PM
That doesn't make sense, but I suppose that's the entire point parodying obsessive texters. Touche.JT FTW!!1! I totaly PWNed the autosensor!!!111!!1!!111!

So, I'm a geezer if I don't want to be charged for a service I don't use? I simply don't see a benefit to texting in most circumstances, and think it's ridiculous to charge people for receiving unsolicited texts, whether they're read or not. It's either block the service, or pay for each, "Hey, what's up LOL?" message I get.Because your phone plan itself is old-fashioned, actually. Who are you guys still paying for incoming texts? The last time I had a plan like that was a decade ago - that is some sleazy business. When I changed my phone plan recently, I went from paying a little extra for web and text messages to free web and text messages AND earlier nighttime minutes AND now it comes with unlimited call-to-cell minutes.

i pay so much for minutes, that i don't notice the small fee every month for unlimited texts. i'd certainly notice triple digit fees if i paid per text though. so much easier to "talk" to people while i'm at work if i can text them, rather than having to pick up the phone. conversation can take place at leisurely pace depending on how busy either party is.That's an interesting point, I know when I got my previous plan set up with 500 texts a month, my actual minutes went down and I stopped getting overages because a lot of little conversations got pushed to text, so it was a worthy tradeoff to avoid $30 in overages here and there.

In looking at the iPhone plans, it's $5 a month for 200 texts. Since they charge $0.20 per text, if you were to send or receive more than 25 a month, it would be worth it to get that plan. That would allow 6-7 texts a day. If I ever get one, that is the plan I would choose. I doubt I would be doing a lot of texting, so 200 would probably be more than enough. My problem is that I don't use the phone that much, so the rest of the plan would be a bit pricey. $30 for data and $39.99 for their 450 plan. Add the $5 and I'd be at $75 a month.Geez, AT&T has horrible plans! I thought my service with Sprint was a bit much, but I just peeked at ATT's and they are pathetic, everything is an add-on. Data is $15, Texts are $15, GPS is $10 a month, and Data for the iPhone is $30 a month. That is highway robbery!

Hmmm... let's see. In the "olden days," people were charged when they decided to a) MAKE A CALL THEMSELVES, or b) accept charges for collect calls. Now, if someone calls/texts you, you are charged no matter what? That only makes cents, but no sense. THAT'S why much of this won't change: da money. :greedy:Caller ID should limit the number of incoming calls you don't want to take, you shouldn't be paying for incoming calls you don't answer, that'd be ludicrous.

I'll sign up for text messaging... when either it's truly free, or they charge me the roughly $0.01 per message it'd be if I bought a plan--to send only, not receive. Being charged for received messages is sorta like being charged for a pay-per-view movie if they happen to advertise it on a channel I'm watching.Switch to a Sprint unlimited everything plan or family plan perhaps.

LTBasker
11-24-2009, 09:17 PM
JT FTW!!1! I totaly PWNed the autosensor!!!111!!1!!111!

I'm laughing on the outside to hide the equivalency of pants-soiling terror that is held within. :nerv:

El Chuxter
11-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Switch to a Sprint unlimited everything plan or family plan perhaps.

Both my entire family and Mrs Chux's are on Verizon. Literally. When we got our new phones, we opted for the basic flavor plan, figuring that even $5 a month is too much for something we just don't use. However, I've seen a lot of ads for plans like you mentioned, so when our contract is up, I'm going to look into whether Verizon offers something like that or if another carrier covers our area and can offer something similar that won't ding us too badly for the innumerable calls from grandparents.

Not sure it'd be Sprint, though, as the other reason we dropped them a couple of years back was the horrible reception we get out here in the boonies.

JediTricks
11-25-2009, 03:23 AM
Sprint's been expanding their operation, plus when they bought Nextel a few years back that greatly expanded them as well. But yeah, definitely don't take my word for it, always test that sort of thing if you can, I only went with Sprint because they'd give us a plan without a big deposit or strong credit.

I'm looking at Verizon's SoCal plans, the second family plan has unlimited texts and picture mail, but they have really confusing explanations as to add-on pricing. That also includes unlimited nights & weekends and unlimited mobile-to-mobile which is quite handy. If you wanted data though, you'd have to go up another $20 a month. The way they do it looks really confusing, I'd suggest if you've been with them over 2 years, threaten to quit and see if they'll give you something.