PDA

View Full Version : What Action Figures Lines Did You Collect As A Kid

indyjones1981
11-17-2009, 11:11 PM
With all the talk by Hasbro about the decreasing sales of the different Star Wars action figure lines the last year or so. It got me thinking. When I was growing up back in the 1970's & 1980's we had a lot more action figure lines to choose from for consumers to spend money on than we do today.

Here is a list of the lines I collected as a kid. I was born in 1975.
Listed in no specific order. Mainly 3 inch figures but some lines did have 6, 8, 10 & 12 inch figure lines also. Examples given Star Wars, Mego CHiPs and
A-Team by Galoob.

1. Fisher Price Adventure People (The first modern 3 inch action figure line produced from 1974-75-1984-1985, Kenner Star Wars figure size was based on these).
2. Star Wars by Kenner
3. Battlestar Galactica by Mattel
4. CHiPs by Mego
5. Indiana Jones by Kenner
6. Lone Ranger Rides Again & Legend of the Lone Ranger by Gabriel
7. G.I. Joe Real American Hero by Hasbro
8. Sgt. Rock by Remco
9. A-Team by Galoob

Looking to trade 12 inch Sideshow Star Wars action figures and Hasbro Star Wars & G.I. Joe 25th Anniversary figures for Mego TV/movie action figures, e.g. Dukes of Hazard, CHiPs, Buck Rogers, Black Hole, also Sgt Rock, Battlestar Galactica and Fisher Price Adventure People. Send me a PM with what items you have to trade and what you would want in return. Thanks.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-18-2009, 01:00 AM
Star Wars was the only one I really collected. I had the original 20 figures plus Boba Fett, though I got the Cantina aliens from the Sears Cantina set, so I had the blue Snaggletooth instead of the red one. I only ended up getting 5 ESB figures before I quit.

I had the first bunch of Battlestar Galactica figures - Starbuck, Adama, Cylon, Imperious Leader, Muffet and Ovion.

I had a couple of NFL figures. One was from the Vikings, and one was from the Redskins, both in dark uniforms. They were just generic and not specific players. These figures were 6 inches or so and had decent articulation. If I had been able to, I would have got two from each team (I think they had both uniforms, unless that was just the tiny figures for the magnetic football game that I'm thinking of).

What I had the most of was plastic army men, cowboys, Indians, and a few knights. I didn't really collect those. Some had been passed down, a few were sets I remember my mom buying for me.

Background Character
11-18-2009, 04:19 AM
Before Star Wars came along, I remember having some Megos. I remember a King Arthur, some pirate type captain hook guy, werewolf and a Planet of the Apes General.

Micronauts I remember pretty passionately.

Then Star Wars figures came along and changed everything. That was my main focus as a kid. And since we weren't rich, the $1.99 a figure price tag at the time was perfect.

I remember getting some of the Buck Rogers movie/television show figs. The original Star Trek:TMP figs. A couple of pocket size super-heroes like Superman, etc.

Masters of the Universe was big. I was into them before the cartoon came out and I actually liked the storyline in the mini-comics that came with the figs. before the cartoon better than the cartoon. He-Man was a more serious barbarian type of character and it was just better.

G.I. Joes were also great. I also had the A-Team figures, but realized they were lame as soon as I took them out of the package.

The Transformers were good also. Transformers/G.I. Joe were the last of the toys for me before having to shove them way in the back of the closet so none of my friends would bust my chops about still playing with dolls. As a teen had to supress my desire to play with such things in order to fit the cool mold even though everyone else probably had Joes hidden around their rooms also.

Overall, the biggest for me was Star Wars, He-Man, G.I. Joe and Transformers. Of course, I still get excited whenever I see new product from these lines come out today.

Lord Malakite
11-18-2009, 06:12 AM
Aliens/Predator
Inhumanoids
G.I. Joe
Transformers
He-Man/Masters of the Universe
Real Ghostbusters
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Swamp Thing
Super Friends
Batman
Power Rangers
Star Wars
Star Trek

As a whole I can't say for certain if that were all of the "action figure" based toys lines I collected from, but I can say those were definitely the bigger ones from my childhood/teens during the mids 80s through late 90s.

If we were to also count "non-action figure" lines, then I'd also have to throw in the following.

Mad Scientist
My Pet Monster

Old Fossil
11-18-2009, 07:14 AM
I was born in 1970. I had

- The Lone Ranger
- The Six Million Dollar Man
- G.I. Joe (classic 12")
- Mego Star Trek
- Mego Planet of the Apes
- Mego World's Greatest Super Heroes
- Pocket Super Heroes
- Micronauts
- Kenner Star Wars

(my interest shifted then to sci-fi themed figures)

- Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
- The Black Hole
- Battlestar Galactica

About 1981-82 my parents slowly stopped funding my action figure needs.:cry: I never had a complete line of figures, and most of the later lines I acquired were simply to add variety to my main love -- Star Wars.

sonofsokol
11-18-2009, 09:47 AM
I was born in 1978
1. Star Wars
2. He-Man
3. Thundercats
4. Transformers
5. Go Bots
6. M.U.S.C.L.E. Men

Non-action figure toys:
-Matchbox/hotwheels
-Lego (maybe should be included in action figures?)
-Playmobile
-Robotix

Neuroleptic
11-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Sounds like I may be a little younger than those who've responded so far.

Star Wars is the first group of figures I collected all the way until they stopped making them. So from 1983 (when I turned four just after that X-mas) to 1986 (/sigh the good ol days are gone and they'll never be back!)

I think about the same time G1 line of Transformers came out. I had a few of them and loved em!

Ghost Busters was next, followed by Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles like most kids my age. (Though the ENTIRE TIME I kept griping occasonaly to how I would have much rather been getting even used Star Wars figures).

I also bought a few of the first Jurassic Park figures in 1992, but by that time it wasn't to play with and was more to use as art refferences. I'm still irritated I lost the Juvinile Rex. Great detail and small enough where he didnt get in the way on my work table.

And when the POTF2 figures came out, of course I bought the entire first set, 2 of each (one for in package one for out of package). That first wave is the only wave I was ever able to find all of. Now a days they release them so often and the stores are sooooo slow to re-stock where I live, that I'm lucky to see three waves a year.

pbarnard
11-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Born 1977

I had
Fisher Price don't know what they're called, but had a First Station with 1.5 inch little men.
Star Wars (technically PotF2 restarted it all but most was purchased as an adult)
GI Joe (biggest # as kid)
Transformers, but I ended up giving all mine after 2 years to my borther, and he gave me unfiltered access (not ownership) to his GI Joe planes.
M.A.S.K.
Lego Castle, Pirate, Space (Futuron, Blacktron 1&2, Space Police 2, M-Tron), Lego Town.

DarkArtist
11-18-2009, 11:11 AM
let's see: i mainly stayed in the 3.75 scale for figures with some exceptions but for the most part I was an all around toy nut....still am)

Star Wars
He-Man
Transformers
G.I. Joe
The Real Ghostbusters
Go-Bots
Matchbox / Hot Wheels Cars
Indiana Jones
Super Powers
Batman (90's movies)
Dukes of Hazard
A-Team
Marvel

i had an active imagination so there were times that I wuld intermix Star Wars, Transformers, Go-Bots and G.I. Joe together.

Snowtrooper
11-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Born in 72. I had...

He-Man
Star Wars
Transformers
Battlestar Galactica

-He-Man was the one that I had the most of. I had just a few of each of the rest. I was more into games for the Atari 2600, at the time.

sith_killer_99
11-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Born in 1974, so these are originals:

Star Wars
Transformers
G.I. Joe
M.A.S.K.

Ando
11-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Born in 1977.

GIJ and SW were the ones that I had the most of, but there were a few other toys that I loved that I had a few figures of while growing up.

- GI Joe
- Star Wars
- StarCom
- Aliens (just the Alien creatures) from the early/mid 90's
- He-Man/MOTU
- A few Batman figures from the various lines.
- Sectaurs http://www.virtualtoychest.com/s/sectaurs/sectaurs.html (http://www.virtualtoychest.com/s/sectaurs/sectaurs.html)
- Captain Power http://www.virtualtoychest.com/c/captainpower/captainpower.html (http://www.virtualtoychest.com/c/captainpower/captainpower.html)
- Voltron (unfortunately I never had Lion Force Voltron, just lame Vehicle Force Voltron.
- Robotech
- MASK
- Transformers (I also had a lot of these I think. My favorite was Jetfire. I wish I still had him. He's worth a lot right now)
- I think I had a Centurion http://www.virtualtoychest.com/c/centurions/centurions.html (http://www.virtualtoychest.com/c/centurions/centurions.html)
The GIJ Sigma6 guys had a very similar look and system to them with the accessory holes on the figure's body.
- And one of my all time favorites: SKY COMMANDERS! http://www.virtualtoychest.com/s/skycommanders/skycommanders.html (http://www.virtualtoychest.com/s/skycommanders/skycommanders.html)
These were really fun.

I think outside of GIJ, SW, and TF (these were the big 3 when AND where I was growing up, my favorites were StarCom and Sky Commanders.

Great thread! Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Droid
11-18-2009, 01:06 PM
In order of most toys to least toys:

1. Star Wars (Kenner)
2. G.I. Joe (Real American Hero line)
3. M.U.S.C.L.E. (may not be "action figures")
4. He-Man
5. Transformers (G1)
6. WWF wrestling figures (big plastic figures, no articulation)
7. Super Powers
8. Starting Lineup
9. Real Ghostbusters
10. Marvel Secret Wars
11. Lone Ranger
12. Dukes of Hazzard

lifeinabox
11-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Born in 1974 and from what I can remember:

Star Wars
GI Joe
Transformers
He-Man
Battlestar Galactica - still have my original viper and raider :thumbsup:
Go-Bots
Super Powers
Marvel Secret Wars
Six Million Dollar Man
Hot Wheels
Misc. Anime/Mecha die-cast

indyjones1981
11-19-2009, 03:29 AM
Great responses so far. Keep them coming. Always nice to take a trip down toy memory lane. With the X-Mas holiday coming up already, we all remember our favorite toys that "Santa" brought us. Most of us who responded would most likely say we did get most of our action figures on December 25. I know I did.

Ando
11-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Most of us who responded would most likely say we did get most of our action figures on December 25. I know I did.

I still do (from my wife)!!! :D