PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy The Imperial Landingcraft Vehicle?

Tycho
11-18-2009, 08:47 PM
I am continuing my new thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case the Imperial Landingcraft from A New Hope).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy the Imperial Landingcraft from A New Hope?

This ship would require an all-new sculpt. There can really be no re-use of Tyderium Shuttle parts here. The landing craft ship is much bigger.

They are never going to churn this one out for less than $150 and you can believe that.

In the meanwhile, it should launch a speederbike or two out the back, or carry 'em, so you can re-create "Troops" in the privacy of your own home.

The cockpit should hold 2 pilot figures - likely non-helmeted officers - but I'm only guessing that's who flew these. Maybe as they were used in combat missions, the bucket-heads drove them?

The back might have a dropping platform you can load up with Sandtroopers the way the Republic Gunship has one for Clones and Jedi.

The wings would come up and down of course.

So do you want the Imperial Landingcraft vehicle released?

What other features would you want on it?

Why would you NOT want it?

What price range is fair, and what is predictable for this to be retailed for?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

pbarnard
11-18-2009, 09:34 PM
If it carries 2 Speeder Bikes and at least 10 troops (so like Force Commander, Empire at War etc) I'd have to think long and hard. I would definitely pick it up on sale/clearance whatever. The full price I'm on the fence. Folding wings, is really the only feature it needs beyond that.

bigbarada
11-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Is this the new vehicle added into the Special Edition of ANH? If it is, then no, I wouldn't buy it.

pbarnard
11-18-2009, 11:11 PM
Is this the new vehicle added into the Special Edition of ANH? If it is, then no, I wouldn't buy it.

Yes. It is also in several video games also.

bigbarada
11-18-2009, 11:41 PM
Yes. It is also in several video games also.

Maybe in 1997 I might have been excited about this, but not now and definitely not if it's going to cost more than $50.

Right now, my focus is solely on a few prominent OT vehicles; so an SE add-on just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

DarkJedi5
11-18-2009, 11:53 PM
I like this one a lot so I'd say yes. I don't need it to be all that big. It shouldn't be much bigger than the Imperial Shuttle (only because it's undersized and should be bigger anyway) but if it sat two in the cockpit and 4 troopers in the back with a speeder I'd be set.

Darth Jax
11-19-2009, 12:14 AM
maybe, maybe not. to get me to purchase it would need a cockpit to seat 2, folding wings, cargo area for speeder bikes & troops and/or netting to transport a dewback

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-19-2009, 12:16 AM
Well, I'd definitely get this one. I would prefer it be in the $65 range, but that won't happen. It's pretty flat-looking so I don't know how well that would translate. Still, I like the design.

Tycho
11-19-2009, 01:57 AM
Maybe in 1997 I might have been excited about this, but not now and definitely not if it's going to cost more than $50.

Right now, my focus is solely on a few prominent OT vehicles; so an SE add-on just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

Which OT vehicles are you interested in, BigBarada?

I want to make sure I set up a poll / discussion thread for everything everyone might be interested in.

It will take time, but it will get done.

bigbarada
11-19-2009, 02:17 AM
Which OT vehicles are you interested in, BigBarada?

I want to make sure I set up a poll / discussion thread for everything everyone might be interested in.

It will take time, but it will get done.

Well, right now the only vehicles that I would consider purchasing would be (these would all have to be 100% new toys, built/rebuilt from the ground up):
1. AT-AT
2. ROTJ Speeder Bike
3. Darth Vader's TIE Fighter
4. Tatooine Skiff
5. Sail Barge

Tycho
11-19-2009, 02:22 AM
I love your list with one exception: I like the Darth Vader TIE that we currently have for the modern line.

I'm curious if you feel it should be bigger, or what?

mtriv73
11-19-2009, 08:31 AM
I'd buy it in a second if it was around the Imperial shuttle size with folding wings. Realistically, I don't think Hasbro will ever make this one. I'm just happy to have the titanium version.

Moving to BigB's comment: I agree Vader's TIE needs an update. It needs to be larger (more in scale with the recently released TIE's) have a more detailed cockpit and get rid of the stupid flip out cannons and missle launchers. If they added come electronics, I'd gladly pay $100 for it (it would have to be almost perfect though.) Without electronics, the $65 range sounds about right.

Tycho
11-19-2009, 10:59 AM
I can see we'll have to poll for Vader's TIE in another ANH discussion thread.

I think the ship is the right size as it is now.

As a toy, I think it's much more boring without launching missiles and flip-out cannons. The fact that they are pretty well disguised in the present version of the ship makes it all the better. Who's to say that "on the real thing" there weren't hidden weapons. Slave-One is full of them and we already know that Vader (Anakin) loves to modify things.

However, I really want that screaming fly-by sound on an electronic TIE Fighter and the rattlesnake laser cannon sound they make.

This would be a great improvement.

Back to the topic at hand, I don't need the Imperial Landingcraft and I think it's too large and too obscure for Hasbro to bother making.

pbarnard
11-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Back to the topic at hand, I don't need the Imperial Landingcraft and I think it's too large and too obscure for Hasbro to bother making.

It's not that obscure. *waves hand* You want the Imperial Landingcraft. It would go great in a Stromtrooper attacking dio with say Lt. "Tank" Sunber leading the troops.

Darth Metalmute
11-19-2009, 01:50 PM
I give this a yes.
But only in the 65 dollar range.
Anything less would be a waste (Sith Infiltrator) and as much as I would love it to fit a dewback, I believe that would increase the cost to an unwantable price for this vehicle.
2 pilots, 1 speeder bike, and a handful of troops.

Neuroleptic
11-19-2009, 04:03 PM
The landing craft is one of the best things they added to the movies, and I'd buy it in a heart beat save one big problem with it.

I have absolutly no idea where I'd put it, and more than likely I would not be able to afford it for a good long time.

TheDarthVader
11-19-2009, 04:04 PM
The landing craft looks okay, but I would not buy it.

DarkArtist
11-19-2009, 05:30 PM
I would hands down buy this vehicle... i love the design and I'm still kicking myself for not buying the Lego version when it was at retail.... oh well.

Ando
11-19-2009, 07:47 PM
I would hands down buy this vehicle... i love the design and I'm still kicking myself for not buying the Lego version when it was at retail.... oh well.

I agree with DA on both counts.

Tycho
11-19-2009, 07:57 PM
It's not that obscure. *waves hand* You want the Imperial Landingcraft. It would go great in a Stromtrooper attacking dio with say Lt. "Tank" Sunber leading the troops.

Grrrr. That's a good idea pbarnard. You're making me think about how cool that would be - with the Imps versus the Amanan like in that Empire comic.

DarthMetalmute: I don't think they ever transported dewbacks in the landingcraft. Well - maybe. But they might have otherwise just landed the troops were they could saddle up and mount wild dewbacks. I don't think it takes much to domesticate them except a cattle prod.

Snowtrooper
11-19-2009, 08:09 PM
I'd buy it as long as it was around the size of the shuttle or gunship.

Darkross
11-19-2009, 08:10 PM
I would definitely consider buying this vehicle. I am with BigBarada though...my next BIG vehicle hope is an all new AT-AT and Skiff.

Old Fossil
11-19-2009, 09:26 PM
I'd need a change of underwear if I saw one of these on store shelves. Come to think of it, I need a change of underwear right now...:dis:

I got the Lego version, one of only 3 Lego vehicles I own. It's odd-looking and ungainly, like a stork; but that only seems to make it more interesting, in my book, compared to other SW ships.

It could not be done right for less than $100-$150, though.

morpheus282
11-19-2009, 10:41 PM
I would definitely consider buying this vehicle. I am with BigBarada though...my next BIG vehicle hope is an all new AT-AT and Skiff.

Ditto that.

DarkArtist
11-20-2009, 08:28 AM
i agree the vehicle needs to be larger and the price tag would be around $100-$150.

i think if they did this vehicle right we would be looking at a ship that can hold around 20 figures in the cargo hold along with at least 2 pilots, and I would love to see room for perhaps 2 speederbikes in the hold as well.

pbarnard
11-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Grrrr. That's a good idea pbarnard. You're making me think about how cool that would be - with the Imps versus the Amanan like in that Empire comic.

DarthMetalmute: I don't think they ever transported dewbacks in the landingcraft. Well - maybe. But they might have otherwise just landed the troops were they could saddle up and mount wild dewbacks. I don't think it takes much to domesticate them except a cattle prod.

I am evil. :twisted::yes:

Well in most video games, the Dewbacks are transported by the Transport. The in movie/EU explanation is that Dewbacks are one of the handful of animals or equipment that can survive the desert, they are rentals. And we all know what to do with the rental, right? :lipsrsealed:

JediTricks
11-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Not a chance in hell I'd buy this thing. It's a thoughtless design, when Galoob reproduced it for Action Fleet, the "head" had to be extra big to hold a figure, and the main body was still too narrow to hold a figure in any orientation beyond laying down. In order for figures to sit in a toy, it'd have to be bigger than the BMF. And the design just isn't exciting enough to justify it.

Tycho
01-13-2010, 06:46 PM
The Imperial Landing Craft won the vote 14-3 in favor of it being made.

To date, NO vehicle from ANH that I've suggested has ever lost:

Rebel Blockade Runner
Lars Family Landspeeder
Dash Rendar's Outrider
Imperial Landing Craft