PDA

View Full Version : Turtles Forever

El Chuxter
11-20-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm not sure how this slipped by, but this direct-to-DVD movie airs tomorrow morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YixMJJzOCoA

Wow. The 1980s cartoon Ninja Turtles meet today's Ninja Turtles, and then they all meet the original Mirage Studios Turtles. And it looks like Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird put aside their blood feud and recorded some lines as well, likely as themselves. This may be the most awesomest movie ever made. Ever. Even awesomer than that one about the guy in black who blows up planets and whose son fights him with a lasersword.

pbarnard
11-20-2009, 01:28 PM
TMNT is officially over after this. It is the Turtle-pocolypse.

El Chuxter
11-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Probably truer than you know, that statement is, since Nickelodeon has bought the property.

JetsAndHeels
11-20-2009, 01:43 PM
I have the DVR set to record it. Looks like its going to be great!!

Rocketboy
11-20-2009, 02:40 PM
No Venus De Milo?
PASS.

El Chuxter
11-20-2009, 02:59 PM
RB, you officially became the lamest person not only on this forum, but on the entire internets. :dead:

Rocketboy
11-20-2009, 11:39 PM
RB, you officially became the lamest person not only on this forum, but on the entire internets. :dead:You know, we really need to find a way to easily express sarcasm on the internet.

Lord Malakite
11-21-2009, 05:35 AM
Beast and I have been psyched to see Turtles Forever for the past 13 or so weeks now. Sorry about not mentioning it here, didn't think anyone else here cared enough about TMNT anymore to want to see it. :cross-eye

While this movie is the end of TMNT by Mirage/4kids for TV/film, it isn't the end of TMNT entirely though. Nickelodeon does plan to have a CGI based TMNT show for 2012.

And just in case anyone here misses the airing today (Nov. 21 at 10AM EST on CW) and still wants to see it, 4kids (from my understanding) will re-air Turtles Forever (on Nov. 28, Dec. 5, and Dec. 12 at TMNT's normal timeslot of 10:30AM EST on CW) broken apart as if they were "three standard show episodes" (like what FOX did with Family Guy's edited version of the Stewie Movie).

Beast
11-21-2009, 10:54 AM
It was surprisingly good. I didn't think they could mesh the three primary eras of Turtles quite so well. I think they cranked the silly aspect of the 80's Toon Turtles just a bit much though. They seemed to be dialed up to 11, probably so Laird could be satisfied in making sure people hate them as much as he does. As a fan of the original toon, they did get grating a bit. Though on the other hand, the 80's Toon Shredder, Krang, Rocksteady, and Bebop had pretty signifigant roles. So who knows. I think it was a decent enough finale for the 4Kids cartoon and a nice way of showing respect to the Turtles Mirage origins, their more popular 80's Toon incarnation, and the modern series. I can't wait for it to come on DVD, hopefully with some decent extras.

I liked all the cameos they managed to cram in, but it was a shame that there were a few that didn't get to appear. Old Toon Baxter Stockmen and New Toon Baxter Stockmen would have been nice. But I guess it's just a bit too problematic given where both characters were in their last appearances in their respective continuity. I was surprised though at the new versions of Tokka and Rahzar being introduced though, given they were introduced already in the old cartoon after TMNT 2. But I guess it works with the differing realities. I wonder if what happened to Hun, being mutated into a turtle, was supposed to be a nod at introducing a more serious version of Slash. If so, I don't mind. The Old School Slash was a bit silly, what with the "Binkie" obsession.

Hopefully now that Peter Laird has sold off the Turtles to Nickelodeon... the new Nick Toon will be somewhere in the middle between the new cartoon and the 80's cartoon. I'd love to see a fresh reboot that included Krang, Rocksteady, and Bebop and was played more serious. The new cartoon was good, but if it would have encorperated the 80's elements I think it could have been better. We were never going to get that when Laird was in charge of things, given his hate for the 80's cartoon and the fans who prefer it to his dark and gritty version. But they don't need to go "Dark Knight" with it. Brave and the Bold proves that lighthearted action cartoon shows still do work. I'm just hoping whatever comes next is as entertaining as what came in the past.

JetsAndHeels
11-21-2009, 03:33 PM
I thought it was very well done. The hour and a half seemed to fly by!!

The final portion was by far my favorite..with the classic TMNT and the nod to the original comic. It was good to see that element of the story worked into the cartoon without it being "watered down".

I will definately buy this on dvd when it is released...until then, I have it stored on my DVR.

Lord Malakite
11-21-2009, 04:06 PM
I've been talking with Beast about this on AIM. Rather than try to retype my thoughts about it here, I think it'll be easier to just copy/paste my conversation with Beast.

Lord Malakite: So what did you think?
Beast: I posted on SSG. But not bad.
Lord Malakite: Overall I thought it was a great movie.:-D Certainly better than live-action Turtles III and CGI TMNT movies.
Lord Malakite: Still debating whether it was, to me, better than the first two live-action movies, Teenage Mutan Ninja Turtles and Turtles II: Secret of the Ooze.
Beast: They really tried to make the 80's stuff look as bad as possible, which kinda annoyed me.
Lord Malakite: Yeah, I was about to ask you about that. Its been a looong time since I've seen 87 Toon Turtles. I remember it was lighter and goofier, but I didn't remember it being that "goofy". They practically portrayed 87 Toon world (aside from the brief interaction with 87 Splinter) as a "special needs" world.
Beast: It was corny at times, but not that bad.
Lord Malakite: I think I do remember that nose machine Hun had in the 87 toon.
Beast: Yeah, it was.
Lord Malakite: Kind of surprised they didn't show any Karai, Demon, or Cyber Shredder footage when 87 Shredder was looking up 03 Shredder. Granted two were dead and one was reformed from using the Shredder name, but you'd think 87 Shredder wouldn't be able to distiguish that fact and only see the history of Utrom Shredder.
Lord Malakite: I went ahead and taped it while I watched. Filtered out most of the commercials too. So now I have something to fall back on until when/if it comes to DVD.
Lord Malakite: I wish more of the 87 toon characters were given a little more time than a "brief cameo". Would of liked to seen 03 Casey/April's reaction at 87 April or 03 Splinter and 87 Splinter's reaction (given the fact one was Yoshi's pet rat and the other is Yoshi)
Beast: Aye. But well, they did ok for an hour and a half with commercials
Lord Malakite: Aside from the fact that 87 April was kidnapped with her fate unknown or that the 03 world is now infested with mutants (which Laird wanted to avoid at all cost if I'm not mistaken).:-D One of which is Hun. :-P
Lord Malakite: Also got to wonder if some time manipulation was involved in addition to the alternate realities.
Beast: possible.
Lord Malakite: After all, Mirage Comic Shredder was still alive, despite being dead in the comic. And this whole thing started because of the 87 Turtles infiltrating the Technodrome. Last we saw the Technodrome (in the 87 finale) it was permanently disabled and trapped in Dimension X. Plus Krang didn't have his Rock Soldiers, which he did eventually get in the 87 show after re-establishing connection with Dimension X
Lord Malakite: So its like they were at different points in time as well.
Lord Malakite: You know what this movie means ultimately though.:-D
Lord Malakite: We saw endless "Turtle realities" during Utrom Shredder's little multiverse speech. One of those realities shown was the live-action Turtles. The Next Mutation was a loose offshoot of the three live-action films. Therefore, Venus exist in the same multiverse reality as the 87 turtles and 03 turtles, and by extension so do the Power Rangers.O:-)
Beast: *Eyes*
Lord Malakite: Leave it to me to make that connection.8-)

Beast
11-21-2009, 04:09 PM
*Shakes a fist at Malakite* You and your damn Power Rangers! Argh!!

El Chuxter
11-21-2009, 06:36 PM
I loved the way the classic Turtles kept breaking the fourth wall, and it confused the heck out of the modern characters. And Mirage Leo's melodramatic voice-over, totally lifted from the first issue. Excellent stuff.

Beast
11-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Yeah, breaking the 4th wall was the best of the old jokes they dusted off.

Surprised Mikey didn't initially show up with a grappling hook, and steal a pair of 'Chucks from Modern Mikey. ;)

Rocketboy
11-21-2009, 09:40 PM
I watched it. It was fun, especially the last 30 minutes.
I haven't seen the '87 turtles in years, and they seemed too goofy to me also. They all acted like Mikey, which wasn't the case - Leo & Raph were fairly serious...for that show, IIRC.

Anyone else catch the Irma cameo?

JetsAndHeels
11-21-2009, 09:45 PM

I saw her...walking down the street in the old toon scene right before the turtles save April.

Lord Malakite
11-22-2009, 06:46 AM
Practically very character from the "87 show" street walking scene was a cameo, not just Irma. Others included "Pre-Mutant" Rocksteady, "Pre-Mutant" Bebop, the Old Lady with the Big Gun, from like first episode of the 87 show, and Carter, who was "more or less" the 87 show's equivalent to the Casey Jones character during the "red sky" seasons (the actual Casey Jones on the 87 show having already been portrayed prior in earlier seasons as a very minor character who was a "psychotic nut job").

El Chuxter
11-22-2009, 12:58 PM
I didn't get a good look at all the "alternate" Turtles, as I was fixing something for my daughter at that moment. I did see the Archie Turtles, the Samurai Turtles (who, IIRC, were only toys, right?), and that weird 1990s line where they had trenchcoats. What else did I miss?

Lord Malakite
11-22-2009, 11:47 PM
I didn't get a good look at all the "alternate" Turtles, as I was fixing something for my daughter at that moment. I did see the Archie Turtles, the Samurai Turtles (who, IIRC, were only toys, right?), and that weird 1990s line where they had trenchcoats. What else did I miss?

There were several pics taken from various Archie and Mirage comics (mostly cover art), a shot from the Image comic, shots from the anime cartoon (only seen in Japan and lasted for like only two episodes), a shot of the live-action turtles from the first three theatrical movies, a shot of the CGI turtles from the fourth theatrical movie, several "one time only" type art sketches/drawings/ posters from various notable comic artists (like Jim Lee and Krby for example). I even saw a commercial shot of the box shaped "papercraft collectible" TMNT figurines available on the 4kids website. :D

The only major TMNT things I really noticed missing from the panorama was the live-action "The Next Mutation" show and the live-action "stage show" that came out on VHS. Could be several reasons for no "The Next Mutation". Possibly because of Laird's hate for the Venus character. Or it could be because Disney may still hold some right/say in regards to that show (which is highly possible since Disney continued to air the Power Rangers/TMNT "Next Mutation" team-up on Jetix for ABC Family/Toon Disney at the same time the 03 cartoon was also being shown on FoxBox/4KidsTV for Fox & CW4Kids for CW). Could even be a bit of both.

Doesn't matter too much though. Just because it wasn't shown on screen doesn't mean it wasn't there off screen. ;) Besides that, I can argue that it was also (very loosely) somewhat of an "off-shoot" (alternate universe) stemming from the three theatrical movies. Some aspects were the same (Splinter's ear was sliced off, the Turtles lived in the same subway lair from TMNT II: Secret of the Ooze and TMNT III). At the same time other aspects were different (Shredder was alive still, no Casey or April - though both were planned to appear in the second season had the show gotten one).

Beast
11-23-2009, 12:07 AM
Laird's hate for Venus and the Next Mutation. The only time I agree fully with him.

JediTricks
11-24-2009, 01:02 PM
And just in case anyone here misses the airing today (Nov. 21 at 10AM EST on CW) and still wants to see it, 4kids (from my understanding) will re-air Turtles Forever (on Nov. 28, Dec. 5, and Dec. 12 at TMNT's normal timeslot of 10:30AM EST on CW) broken apart as if they were "three standard show episodes" (like what FOX did with Family Guy's edited version of the Stewie Movie).Thanks for the info. I set my DVR to record this, and it just didn't do it. DVR tech is 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

Lord Malakite
11-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the info. I set my DVR to record this, and it just didn't do it. DVR tech is 2 steps forward, 1 step back.
Good old VHS, nothing beats that. :D

Just got some additional info about Turtles Forever in case anyone is interested. Sometime in December (probably after Dec.12) 4kids will make the movie available to watch online via their website. This is notable for two reasons. First, it will allow you a third chance to catch the movie if you missed it during its first television airing (aired as a whole) or its upcoming second television airing (broken apart over three weeks). Second, the version available online via 4kids website will feature an additional 11 minutes not shown on TV (minor stuff cut due to time/commercial constraints).

Shame I won't be able to see the online version (my internet access isn't good enough for that kind of stuff), but hopefully it'll be on the DVD if we do get a DVD release.

JediTricks
11-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Oh? Maybe I'll just watch it online via my PS3 instead then once they post it.

As for VCR, yeah, it had a way better timer system. The only reasons it wouldn't record is when the power went out and blanked the memory (my newer VCR didn't have that problem) or when the tape was full. Plus, with VCRs, if there's a conflict it'll simply tape until the end of the conflict and then switch. With my DVR, it'll simply not record the second program at all unless the second tuner is free. But the tapes looked crummy and had modest sound, the tapes only held up to 8 hours if you bought special tapes, and fast-forwarding and rewinding were nothing like they are with a DVR.

Lord Malakite
11-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Oh? Maybe I'll just watch it online via my PS3 instead then once they post it.
The news came from 4kids directly via the Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showpost.php?p=736307&postcount=1496). One minor correction to note from my previous post. The never-before-seen stuff is actually closer to 12 minutes, not 11, according the 4kids post.

JediTricks
11-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Cool, then I'll just wait for that. If this had been an HD version, I would have DVRed it, but neither really matter since I'm not watching their ads.

Lord Malakite
11-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Now if only 4kids will air "Insane in the Membrane" in the US finally before they loose the right to air TMNT episodes come August 2010 due to the Nick deal. Probably the only episode of the 4kids show that I haven't seen on account that Fox wouldn't let them air it on FoxBox/4kidsTV due to the content.

I'm hoping with CW4kids being CW (instead of Fox) and with 4kids having nothing much to lose (as they can't air TMNT after Aug. 2010 anyway) that they'll just go ahead and give it an airing.

Lord Malakite
12-09-2009, 11:31 AM
The info. for the uncut version is now available. Turtles Forever (with the additional 12 minutes not shown on TV) will be made available to watch on the 4kids website on December 16th.