PDA

View Full Version : New 2010 packaging

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-20-2009, 04:51 PM
Here (http://www.yakface.com/2009/november/2010StarWarsPkg.html) is the generic packaging style that will presumably be applied to all SW products next year. I'm not sure on the return to blue, and the clouds are a little silly and not space-y enough for SW, but I like the Rex-centric nature of it. I wonder how the basic figure cards will look.

Slicker
11-21-2009, 05:50 AM
So they're gonna have that sorry Clone on every card regardless of OT or PT? :rolleyes: Tally yet another point for carpy EU lovers...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-21-2009, 12:34 PM
So they're gonna have that sorry Clone on every card regardless of OT or PT? :rolleyes: Tally yet another point for carpy EU lovers...
Not necessarily every card, but probably every box. So I take it you haven't seen this year's stuff, which already has at least one clone on it regardless of whether it's from the films or the show or anything else?

Slicker
11-21-2009, 01:17 PM
It's sad but I seriously don't think that I've seen the packaging from this year even though I've boughten thousands of dollars worth of stuff.

clone157
11-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Jeez, we just got a new package not so long ago. This really irks me. Hasbro is too big for it's britches. If they had left the packaging alone, we would probably see at least one more set of comic packs or titaniums. Why waste that money on art that is designed for the dumpsters? Too much overhead at the big H. I am sick of them blaming us for not buying the upteenth repaint of a passable figure, and then throwing away their budget by coming up with new packaging.

El Chuxter
11-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Who's Snipe?

bigbarada
11-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Jeez, we just got a new package not so long ago. This really irks me. Hasbro is too big for it's britches. If they had left the packaging alone, we would probably see at least one more set of comic packs or titaniums. Why waste that money on art that is designed for the dumpsters? Too much overhead at the big H. I am sick of them blaming us for not buying the upteenth repaint of a passable figure, and then throwing away their budget by coming up with new packaging.

I think the packaging designs are dictated by Lucasfilm, so I don't believe that Hasbro has a choice.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-21-2009, 08:59 PM
I think the packaging designs are dictated by Lucasfilm, so I don't believe that Hasbro has a choice.
Yup, exactly. This is why most of the SW brands have similar packaging, as it creates an overall brand look. Refreshing it every year or so keeps things fresh.

Snowtrooper
11-21-2009, 09:01 PM
I'm reserving judgement until I see what the basic figure cards look like.

Old Fossil
11-21-2009, 09:27 PM
This Clone-centric design gives too much emphasis on the military aspect of Star Wars. Too many other aspects are overlooked -- Jedi, classic heroes and villains, wierd alien worlds -- when we get a nameless Clone soldier on the card.

Sad. Star Wars toys were always about so much more than the "green army men" mentality, and the Clone focus on the card art presumes that very mentality of today's kids. It's a mistake and it's going to cost the toymaker, because ultimately most kids are more into interesting characters and stories than ubiquitous armored Clone soldiers killing things.

I'll take an obscure, blink-and-you-missed-it Cantina alien or Jabba's Palace thug over a Clone trooper any day.

bigbarada
11-21-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm personally not too thrilled about the return to a blue package. It reminds me too much of the 2002/2003 Saga days, which was probably some of the ugliest Star Wars packaging design ever.

I would have actually liked the clouds better if they were orange, not blue. This would contrast better with the blue on Rex and would give it a more "otherworldly" feel. It would also hint at Geonosis, where the Clone Wars began.

DarkArtist
11-22-2009, 09:35 AM
it's a very different approach and kinda not too appealing... would rather they keep the design they have now with the Legacy series...the artwork is amazing.

Darth Jax
11-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Who's Snipe?

they're preparing to go hunting

JEDIpartner
11-22-2009, 10:49 AM
Again... I don't care. LOL

RoonStones
11-22-2009, 11:38 AM

And apparently, Lucasfilm has decided to completely subsume the SW line within the Clone Wars genre? They're really trying to push this sub-par series aren't they? Everyplace I go, the entire line of toys constitute pegwarmers. Maybe it's my age or whatnot, but I feel the shark has now officially been jumped.

JediTricks
11-22-2009, 09:55 PM
If this is the new packaging, it's the death of the line. Blue is a non-selling color at market, this has been proven for the last 50 years with market testing: red sells, blue doesn't. Galoob's Episode I line was all blue and despite some good products it floundered from the get-go. The Saga line went to blue and it didn't do that well in it. Even last year's line was white and blue and it sold slower. I'm hoping this design doesn't take off.

Jeez, we just got a new package not so long ago. This really irks me. Hasbro is too big for it's britches. If they had left the packaging alone, we would probably see at least one more set of comic packs or titaniums. Why waste that money on art that is designed for the dumpsters? Too much overhead at the big H. I am sick of them blaming us for not buying the upteenth repaint of a passable figure, and then throwing away their budget by coming up with new packaging.It's not Hasbro, it's Lucasfilm who changes the packaging.

This Clone-centric design gives too much emphasis on the military aspect of Star Wars. Too many other aspects are overlooked -- Jedi, classic heroes and villains, wierd alien worlds -- when we get a nameless Clone soldier on the card.

Sad. Star Wars toys were always about so much more than the "green army men" mentality, and the Clone focus on the card art presumes that very mentality of today's kids. It's a mistake and it's going to cost the toymaker, because ultimately most kids are more into interesting characters and stories than ubiquitous armored Clone soldiers killing things.

I'll take an obscure, blink-and-you-missed-it Cantina alien or Jabba's Palace thug over a Clone trooper any day.I agree with you that it used to be more than just about troopers. However, this isn't a generic guy, it's Captain Rex.

That said, the show has dumbed down the Jedi and barely utilized their powers, odd considering the showrunner came off of Avatar the Last Airbender which had great use of powers. But here they aren't wizardly and they don't have sorcerer powers, this last episode they actually used their lightsabers as flashlights. :rolleyes: And the aliens are pigeonholed into either CIS villains or Jedi or bounty hunters. I get it, it's "The Clone Wars", but it's also "Star Wars" first.

jedibear
11-26-2009, 08:46 PM
...I'll take an obscure, blink-and-you-missed-it Cantina alien or Jabba's Palace thug over a Clone trooper any day.

Here, here! I've cut my Hasbro collecting WAY back to just Legacy figures (when and if I'm lucky enough to find 'em that is).

I want to reserve judgment on this "new" look until I see more (like the basic cards), but two things strike me...one, it doesn't really seem like this current look has had enough time to really saturate the market...we still have A LOT of those ole' helmet cards up this way) and as others have observed, blue is a bummer when it comes to the SW line...the post-TPM figures were featured on blue cards...and those cards were among the most hideous looking cards for Star Wars figures yet...

This new clone-centric/cloud art is an odd choice to say the least. I guess I'm still expecting something as bold and interesting as the 30An cards to come along again. Well, not this round anyway.

And packaging, smackaging...just get the figures out there. heck, I'd take plain white cards with black lettering if it meant an easier time of finding some Legacy figures.... :)

Mad Slanted Powers
11-27-2009, 12:13 AM
I kind of like the look of that package. I agree that the Saga 2002-2004 packaging wasn't great (though I think it improved each year as they tweaked it a bit), but I think this blue has a different look and feel to it. Plus, a lot of the figures in the Saga line weren't all that great, with all the action features and extreme poses.

I'll take an obscure, blink-and-you-missed-it Cantina alien or Jabba's Palace thug over a Clone trooper any day.It wouldn't make sense to put an obscure character on a packaging that is going to represent the entire brand. Better to use something iconic.

POTF2 - Darth Vader
Episode I - Darth Maul
POTJ - Darth Vader & TPM Obi-Wan
Saga/Clone Wars - Two hands and a lightsaber
OTC - Black star field, similar style to vintage cards
ROTS - Darth Vader and flames
TSC - Black star field
TAC - Large photo of character
Clone Wars - Large Clone helmet background
TLC - Large Stormtrooper helmet background
TLC 2009 - Prominent character photo

So, they've really only used Vader, Maul, Obi-Wan, and the trooper helmets. I think Vader could always work. Maul was appropriate at the time with all the Episode I hype. Both Clone Troopers and Stormtroopers are easily recognizable as Star Wars, and with the Clone Wars being popular now, that will probably get the kids' attention more than a Stormtrooper.

I'm personally not too thrilled about the return to a blue package. It reminds me too much of the 2002/2003 Saga days, which was probably some of the ugliest Star Wars packaging design ever.

I would have actually liked the clouds better if they were orange, not blue. This would contrast better with the blue on Rex and would give it a more "otherworldly" feel. It would also hint at Geonosis, where the Clone Wars began.

Qui-Long Gone
11-27-2009, 09:14 AM
The new packaging makes no difference to me....I did like th retro look back on the OTC and VOTC figures....

My figures are loose, so the packaging ends up in my trash....

JediTricks
11-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Different look to it? This looks almost exactly like the Galoob Ep 1 line's blue packaging with a white Obi-Wan in the corner.