PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy the Echo Base / Home One Rebel Personnel Carrier?

Tycho
11-22-2009, 11:55 PM
I am continuing my thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case Rebel Personnel Carrier from The Empire Strikes Back / Return of the Jedi).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy Echo Base / Home One Rebel Personnel Carrier from The Empire Strikes Back / Return of the Jedi.

The vintage Imperial Troop Transport vehicle was similar except the type of craft the Rebels used in the movie didn't have sit down drivers stations. But the basic vehicle size and its premise has been made in toy form, sort of.

To make the personnel carrier accurately, it would require an all-new sculpt.

They could make this for the $24 vehicle price range however. But I think it would work better in a battle pack format with 1 exclusive figure, like a generic Rebel in Hoth gear driving it.

The vehicle should hold at least 6 more figures - Hoth troops, protocal droids, and Rebel Pilots, for example.

I think this one is fully collector-targeted, and diorama builders are going to be the folks interested in this.

So do you want the Echo Base / Home One Rebel Personnel Carrier vehicle released?

What other features would you want on it?

Why would you NOT want it?

What price range is fair, and what is predictable for this to be retailed for?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

Pictures attached depict it in the films, and a LEGO custom model of the vehicle.

aussiedarth
11-23-2009, 01:24 AM
That's a tough one! With the Clone Wars dominating at the moment, it's hard to fathom if Hasbro would make something like the Rebel Transport. I agree that it would have to be a total resculpt, but it will require some additional things to make buyers interested, otherwise you're going to end up with the Sandcrawler all over again - looks good, but doesn't do anything!

Lights and sounds would have to be a must
Opening door/ramp
Retractable landing gear
Firing cannons (for the kiddies)
And not just one figure, but several (eg 1 of each of the latest Hoth Soldiers; K-3PO/R-3PO; Major Derlin/General Reikan to name a few.)
You'd have to be looking at something at least two feet long to make it a decent scale compared to the other vehicles.

If Hasbro made it, I'd buy it without question. It is something I would like to eventually see.

JediTricks
11-23-2009, 03:13 AM
I think we're talking about the same personnel carrier as the Yavin one, only with a second car in tow, right? You already covered the big shell Rebel Transport. I think you need to be more clear with what vehicle you're asking about.

Anyway, if you're asking about the Hoth version of this:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rebel_personnel_carrier
which is DEFINITELY in Echo Base and the only vehicle listed on Wookieepedia that could fit the description, my answer would be "no" in that I didn't end up buying the Yavin one when I had the chance, it's not a bad design Hasbro did but it's SO passive a design that it leaves me uninterested.
EDIT: see altered opening post and later discussions for why it's not this one.

Tycho
11-23-2009, 03:48 AM
Yeah JT. I just added a pic of the Lego version of this to my original post.

Aussiedarth, I already did poll for the big Rebel Transport ship.

9 people wanted it and 10 people did not. So that vehicle isn't going anywhere at the moment.

This poll is for the new small ground vehicle that drives around the Rebel hanger and holds about 7 people altogether. See my pic I found of a Lego one above.

aussiedarth
11-23-2009, 05:12 AM
Sorry, I'm with you now. Yeah I agree with your suggestions. It's something I would buy, probably a couple of to make a great looking diorama. Maybe throw in a Power Droid and/or R2 unit in the box too.

RoonStones
11-23-2009, 07:11 AM
I'd buy one both because its Vintage, and because it's not part of the Clone Wars line.

DarkArtist
11-23-2009, 08:02 AM
hard to say Tycho... i think that if they made it as an Ultimate Battlepack concept with perhaps a few new (and i mean new..not repaints, or kitbash) figures, and maybe a Hoth Base exterior diorama similiar to the Lego Echo Base set then I might get one... i think the vehicle by itself might not fly.

pbarnard
11-23-2009, 09:23 AM
I think I would. I'd still buy the Yavin one if I could ever find it under $30, not with a missing droid the only 2 times I've found it! (and reported it).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-23-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm still not sure what we're talking about. JT says one thing, but Tycho's Lego picture is something else, I think. Could someone please post a picture from the film?

LTBasker
11-23-2009, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't mind getting one of what Tycho is talking about, but I also wouldn't have minded getting one of the Yavin versions as well. Unfortunately, that battlepack never showed up here.

The Transport that Tycho is talking about; I've actually wanted one for a long time. Pretty much ever since I saw it in ESB, I've always thought no hangar setup is complete without it. Nowadays... I might still get one if it were released, but I imagine it would be have to be relatively small. Maybe large enough to fit a driver (standing), and 2-3 figures seated (one behind the other).

Perhaps it would be a decent exclusive item for an Echobase hangar-themed ultimate battlepack?

Tycho
11-23-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm still not sure what we're talking about. JT says one thing, but Tycho's Lego picture is something else, I think. Could someone please post a picture from the film?

When Han Solo rides his tauntaun into the hanger on Hoth, or as the pilots are scrambling to leap into their snowspeeders, this is the white ground shuttle "bus" that's driving pilots around to their stations (sometimes troops, too).

I tried to find a movie picture but you only have to watch ESB for 10 minutes until you see one.

Snowtrooper
11-23-2009, 06:02 PM
I'd buy it, but it would be a real dud selling by itself. I like the battle pack idea. It worked for the Yavin hangar transport, so why not for this one?

Darth Jax
11-23-2009, 06:16 PM
if it came in a battle pack with hoth ground troops i might get one. can't see the thing selling by on it's own. i've never taken notice of it in the movie and i just watched it again last week.

Tycho
11-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Interesting that it wasn't taken notice of as it crosses right in front-center of the screen.

True that doesn't make it exciting or interesting. I'm just being thorough and practical with what's left that I can ask poll questions about.

The Executor is also left on the list from ESB. I can't wait to get to that one: "This toy will be approximately 90 feet long and come with a coupon for 1/2 off the real estate closing costs for the site you will need to buy to house this one." (Actually, I think it would be ridiculous to poll for The Executor, especially seeing how a smaller, regular Imperial Star Destroyer didn't win favor with this crowd).

But I could see Entertainment Earth or one of the brick-and-mortars carrying this as an exclusive with perhaps a bearded soldier, non-bearded soldier, and deck officer uniformed Rebel packed inside. If costs permit, add that black-headed, white bodied R5 droid that the Probot battle pack came with. (A lot of us didn't get one because we didn't need more Hoth Han and Chewies).

Old Fossil
11-23-2009, 08:15 PM
I guess I might buy it. It'd make a nice addition to an Echo Base hangar diorama with the BMF.

Darkross
11-23-2009, 08:38 PM
Yep...I definitely buy one. I got the Yavin hangar one, and I want to find another. Hoping that the 30th anniversary of ESB will be a BIG year.

My Wish List:
BMF AT-AT ...oh YEAH!
Hoth Version of the resculpted AT-ST
new Snowspeeder
BMF Slave1
New larger Probe Droid
Re-release the larger Hoth Rebel Turret (Target Exclusive Pack-in)
New Sculpt Hoth Rebel Radar Dish
Cloud Car

JediTricks
11-24-2009, 02:12 AM
Yeah JT. I just added a pic of the Lego version of this to my original post.

This poll is for the new small ground vehicle that drives around the Rebel hanger and holds about 7 people altogether. See my pic I found of a Lego one above.Ok, that is clearly different from the Yavin one, and I think your memory is playing tricks on you, because you're remembering the JOB of the Personnel Carrier being attributed to the Laser Ice Cutter. (see later post)

When Han Solo rides his tauntaun into the hanger on Hoth, or as the pilots are scrambling to leap into their snowspeeders, this is the white ground shuttle "bus" that's driving pilots around to their stations (sometimes troops, too).

I tried to find a movie picture but you only have to watch ESB for 10 minutes until you see one.Yeah, this confirms it, you're talking about the Laser Ice Cutter, read the description on this page and look at the pics:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Laser_ice-cutter

IMO, I'd still not buy this, it's mainly just a sled holding a laser. It's small and doesn't fit that well with the other vehicles. I would have bought it as a Titanium, but not as a figure vehicle.

DarkJedi5
11-24-2009, 10:00 AM
I'd buy two easy, I've got two of the Yavin transports so these would be the same story. Stick them in a battle pack and I bet they'd be just as popular. You could even through in the beardless Hoth trooper that got axed so that people can get their hands on him.

Tycho
11-24-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm not sure that's what it is, JT. The one I'm thinking of doesn't have any laser on it. I naturally found something more boring.

JediTricks
11-24-2009, 01:41 PM
I'm not sure that's what it is, JT. The one I'm thinking of doesn't have any laser on it. I naturally found something more boring.
Ok, I see, the way you described the scene is where the confusion lay, you described the scene with the Laser Ice Cutter, but it's actually in the scene directly after that, when Han is walking around in the hanger just AFTER having gotten off the tauntaun. I attached a screengrab of that. The other shot is behind the rebel pilot briefing, but it's WAY in the background and nobody's in it, so I didn't bother getting a screenshot of that.

There's no Wookieepedia article for it, so we don't have an official name for it. Would you like me to change the title of this thread so as to not confuse anyone with the Rebel Transport, or maybe we should just close this thread and you can start it anew. I'm thinking a better name for this vehicle would be "Hoth Rebel Personnel Carrier".

Tycho
11-24-2009, 10:26 PM
Yeah, please change the title to Hoth Rebel Personnel Carrier.

We discussed closing this thread and restarting it earlier, but I don't think that's really necessary.

However, in a mod edit, can you attach the pic you posted above to my first post in the thread?

You might have to retitle it or resize it only slightly because SSG doesn't let you post the same picture twice.

JediTricks
11-25-2009, 01:59 AM
Oh rats, I somehow mistook "Hoth" for "Echo Base" and put that instead in the title and the opening post. I have attached the pic to the first post though - I think it let me re-upload it because it was to your post instead of my own.

Devo
11-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Yep I'd buy this. I've been envisioning a Scramble on Hoth battlepack for it. I'd love this in fact.

bigbarada
11-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I'd buy this. :thumbsup:

Tycho
11-25-2009, 07:15 PM
I think this transport is cool and I want that R5 droid in JediTricks' picture.

It was released with the Probot in a battle pack that also had a white protocal droid, and Han and Chewie Hoth.

Thing is: I already have everything except the R5 droid, so I didn't want to buy that. I think I can still even find that battlepack at some Targets, too.

But sorry - no taker here.

So releasing this Hoth transport would be great. I'd love some Hoth troops and that droid as well.

Thanks for the editing work, JT.

JediTricks
11-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Sure thing.

Looking at this, I would change my vote to Yes, there's something a little more interesting about it than the Yavin one, that one looks like a difficult personnel carrier to ride where this doesn't, and has more of a "hover vehicle" thing going on.

Hard to believe how many more OT astromechs they still have to get done, and they're already doing repaints.

JediTricks
11-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Just did some more investigating and it looks like I might have to change the title again. The vehicle also shows up in ROTJ, taking all of our heroes minus Han to the Shuttle Tydirium! I've attached a screenshot.

LTBasker
11-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Hmm, the stark white kind of clashes with the gray-laden hangar bay. The Rebel Alliance is usually better about matching their equipment's paint schemes with the location's theme.

JediTricks
11-26-2009, 05:51 PM
I suspect the coloring in the ROTJ image is more about the compositing in the shot or even the lighting chosen than a repaint of the vehicle.

Tycho
11-26-2009, 06:18 PM
The vehicle also shows up in ROTJ, taking all of our heroes minus Han to the Shuttle Tydirium! I've attached a screenshot.

Are you saying that LANDO is not a hero? That's racist! :D

Lando's also not in the transport.

Maybe they didn't let him ride in it because of his ethnicity?

I think the ACLU and the NAACP should open this as a discrimination case!

JediTricks
11-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Are you saying that LANDO is not a hero? That's racist! :D

Lando's also not in the transport.

Maybe they didn't let him ride in it because of his ethnicity?

I think the ACLU and the NAACP should open this as a discrimination case!
I am saying that Lando wasn't going to the Tydirium. He was going to the Falcon.

Tycho
11-27-2009, 03:23 PM
I am saying that Lando wasn't going to the Tydirium. He was going to the Falcon.

Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton will determine that! ;)

mark2d2
12-02-2009, 07:26 PM
I would totally buy this in an instant! The Yavin Transport remains one of my favorite purchases of the year. Seriously. It really has stood the test of time. And the "mini-rig" retro appeal is something that I won't quickly tire of to be sure... It would be a nice gift to OT collectors for ESB's 30th!

IG 8D8
12-02-2009, 08:31 PM
I'd buy it as well

Tycho
01-17-2010, 10:46 PM
The Hoth Echo Base Rebel Personnel Carrier has won by an avalanche!

16-0 (ZERO) in favor of this being made and marketed!

Wow. I voted for it myself.

Most people want a battlepack with some Hoth Rebel Soldiers and an astromech droid. That suits me just fine.

I'd prefer there being no major characters or supporting cast Rebel Staff (like Derlin or Rieeken) because I don't need multiples of them.

But ground troops and droids packed in with this vehicle would be an awesome battlepack!!!

Two of ESB's vehicles have won now (Twin Pod Cloud Car, and Hoth Rebel Personnel Carrier) and one of them has actually and already been made!

The two that lost were larger ships - arguably one of the largerst possible (the star destroyer) and the other being the Rebel Transport (T-47).

Darth Metalmute
01-20-2010, 06:17 PM
I must have missed something somewhere because I don't remember a Yavin toy one.

Did you lego picture come from a set or was custom built?

I think I would pass on this. But it is something I would like the option to buy.

Tycho
01-20-2010, 06:42 PM
I must have missed something somewhere because I don't remember a Yavin toy one.

Did you lego picture come from a set or was custom built?

I think I would pass on this. But it is something I would like the option to buy.

I don't know the story on the Lego one I picked as a sample. I don't collect the Legos personally.

The Yavin one was underscale (I think it should seat 6-8 but this only seated 2, and a driver - maybe 4 seated. I didn't open mine.)

It came in a battlepack (the best one of the year) with Red Leader (Garven Dreis) his R5 droid, and a Rebel Flight Crewmember.

The Hoth one is a bit larger I believe. As JT pointed out, they were using this in Home One's hanger bay also.

The set would be really nice if it came with Hoth Rebel Troop builders (without mustaches or beards), and possibly variant uniforms, besides infantry who we have so many different figures of.