PDA

View Full Version : What are YOUR Thanksgiving plans this year?

Ando
11-24-2009, 06:10 PM
Apologies if this thread is a duplicate.

What is everyone doing for the 2009 Thanksgiving holiday weekend?

Do you get the day off? How about Friday?

This year I will spending the day with my wife's weirdo in-laws and spending the rest of the weekend doing nothing but relaxing and snacking.

pbarnard
11-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Both days off. Hopefully wife won't go into labor (OB out of town). So just at home, probably cleaning.

Rocketboy
11-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Same as the last few years - going across town to my in-laws for dinner and watching the Lions get embarrassed.

Going to bed by midnight to get up at 3am so I can be to work by 4am to wait on retards. Then coming home and crashing for a few more hours at noon.

2-1B
11-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Same as the last few years - going across town to my in-laws for dinner and watching the Lions get embarrassed.

Word.
Packers by 16.

JimJamBonds
11-24-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm doing a 5 mile turkey trot, then eating at my parents. Then... nap time.

Rocketboy
11-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Word.
Packers by 16.What about the 2nd, 3rd & 4th quarters?

sonofsokol
11-24-2009, 10:24 PM
I am frying 2 turkeys, one for my parents and one for my wife's parents. So far I have fried 6 turkeys over the past few years and have zero trips to the ER and zero visits from the fire department...

bobafrett
11-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Going to the in laws in Indiana. We will be eating dinner, then heading back home early as I am scheduled to work starting at 4:30 in the morning.

2-1B
11-24-2009, 11:04 PM
What about the 2nd, 3rd & 4th quarters?

Meh, GB will be fine through the 2nd quarter. :rolleyes:
The 3rd and 4th are what concern me. :D

As for my plans, it's go to my mom's tomorrow evening and stay through the GB@Det game, then head off to the future in-laws for the rest of the day.
I'm definitely sleeping in on Friday, I can't handle that Black Friday nonsense. Maybe later Friday night if I need something, but I won't fight those crowds.

JediTricks
11-25-2009, 03:27 AM
Well, at least you'll sleep soundly before work the next day, Barry. Good luck on Black Friday, remember that you can use a bicycle both as a shield and as a weapon if need be. ;)

I'm going to my sister's place tomorrow (Wed) to do early thanksgiving because she doesn't have custody on Thursday of her daughter. It'll be a fairly sizable grouping, we're getting out the card table to get everybody seated, the vegetarians get stuck with that. :p Thursday my mom wants me to come over and have dinner with them and my grandma, but it'll be much more relaxed.

JetsAndHeels
11-25-2009, 02:14 PM
I will be eating at my parents' house, then my dad and I will watch some football.

I expect to be asleep sometime before halftime of the Lions-Packers game.

I imagine it will be the regular "leftovers" routine for dinner.

I am going to brave the crowds Friday morning as a buddy and I are going to hit up Best Buy and then venture over to Walmart.

TeeEye7
11-25-2009, 02:58 PM
I just returned from picking up our "Feast" from Marie Callender's (I think it's a SoCal franchise, or is it?). They've done a lot of the preparation and it lessens the amount of time in the kitchen. We just have to concentrate on the turkey and ham.

So....tomorrow will be quiet with just the immediate family. Time to relax and be with the family (a rare thing in my household, unfortunately, due to opposite schedules being the norm). The dogs may get two walks tomorrow to offset the overabundance of caloric intake. The weather is supposed to be great :hoorayforlivinginSoCal: so that activity is a shoe-in!

Be safe and enjoy, my fellow SSGers!

TI7

bigbarada
11-25-2009, 05:20 PM
If the weather holds up, I'll be in the field working all day tomorrow. Because of all the rain, it's been an extremely late harvest; so we've still got a few hundred acres of corn in the ground.

DarthQuack
11-25-2009, 05:22 PM
Going to my Dad's for the day with my siblings....might go to my uncle's farm for an hour or so to break up the day since it's not too far, then later on, a nightcap at my other uncle's for the Giants/Broncos game since it's only the Dish.

LusiferSam
11-25-2009, 06:36 PM
My sister and her boyfriend are coming into town. It's first time about 4 years that she'll be home for Thanksgiving. Then a buddy of my dad's is coming up from Salt Lake. My dad and his friend are both from Green Bay and the boyfriend is a Packers fan, so guess what game they'll watch. Depending on how warm the weather is I might go skiing. I also from some research is close to done, so I might taken an hour or two to finish that block.

Darth Jax
11-25-2009, 07:30 PM
listening to arlo guthrie tell us all about alice's restaurant massacree while driving across town to eat with friends. then it'll be back across town to eat more and play games with other friends. then home to sleep through all the black friday hoohaa

Tycho
11-25-2009, 08:47 PM
My cousins want me to come over, and I've skipped having Thanksgiving Dinner with them for many years now.

They said I should bring over a movie for us all to watch.

And they said I could bring a friend. Michelle said she was going with me. We'll see.

I'm not looking forward to it for a lot of reasons.

My favorite Thanksgiving memories were of going to dinner with the Youngs - my adopted family (they were my parents' best friends and our families did stuff together since I was 5 years old).

Qui-Long Gone
11-25-2009, 11:24 PM
Step 1: help wife with meal prep

Step 2: find excuse to let her finish without my help

Step 3: eat food and feel guilty for bailing on her

Step 4: promise to make it up by cleaning up

Step 5: get tired from turkey and take too long a nap

Step 6: finally clean up and make promised to help more next year

Step 7: continue being a total loser...:(

Bel-Cam Jos
11-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Eating. (duh... :tired: ).
Helping a little with various plans and set-ups.
Watching "football" (as the Lions and Raiders will field teams :p ).
Wanting to get some grading and lesson planning done, but will likely chicken out and do none (what a turkey ;) ).
Wondering when these two TG-Day threads will get merged.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-27-2009, 12:23 AM
My sisters came back home and I'm off from school all week, so I've also been around the house (as opposed to the dorms/apartments). We did all the usual Thanksgiving stuff today, but my roommate joined us for dinner as he's from China and wasn't going home or anything. I've been working on my final movie for my production class all week and still have a fair amount of work to do the next few days, on that and on other things. Luckily there's only one more week of classes and then finals before Christmas break. I think tomorrow I'll go to Target and maybe Walmart to see some of their cheap DVDs (and obviously the SW stuff).

Tycho
11-27-2009, 12:13 PM
My Thanksgiving turned out nice. I like sweet potatoes cooked with marshmellows and pineapples - and I like pumpkin pie.

Turkey with cranberries is good too.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Never too late to plan!

sonofsokol
11-24-2010, 12:52 PM
I will be deep frying a turkey again this year. It really is the best way to prepare turkey

JimJamBonds
11-24-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm planning on going for a run in the morning (hopefully in the 12-15 mile range) and then I shall strap on the feed bag!!!

JEDIpartner
11-24-2010, 01:37 PM
I hate winter holiday food, so this is the start of the "Dale loses weight" season. I love the flavours, but I think the flavours are too present in the selection of foods (cinnamon, sage, nutmeg, etc.) that I just get sick of them. I hate turkey after it starts to cool (smells like dirty socks) and I can't stand thick slices of ham (I have texture issues).

That being said, we are going to my partner's sister's as we do every year.

Tycho
11-24-2010, 04:12 PM
I'm going to try not to eat anything too crazy.

I have a 3 hour drive (almost) over and back through the mountains to see my grandpa and my uncle. The drive I'm not looking forward to.

El Chuxter
11-24-2010, 04:26 PM
I am not going to take my pants off (except in the bathroom), and I will not do anything untoward with the mashed potatoes. I understand that Thanksgiving at the in-laws is not that kind of a party.

nohagent
11-24-2010, 04:35 PM
I think I am gonna just chill at home, My kid will be with he mom this time around

TeeEye7
11-24-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm working Thursday and Friday and making double time and a half! :greedy:

[edit] Just got home (again...it's now 5AM on Turkey Day)....pulled into the driveway coming home from work at 12:30AM when another gang banger bit the dust. That's four homicides in two days now. Half gang related. More OT looks like Slick will get his wish!

Slicker
11-24-2010, 05:49 PM
I honestly do NOT blame you for that. I'm sure that'll make for some damn fine Christmas gifts. Just PM me for my mailing addy and my gift list. :)

I'm going to a friends house. I work with him on base and he definitely has a lot to be thankful about this time around. On the same day his wife gave birth to his first child AND he was promoted. I guess the child negates the money he makes with the promotion but it's definitely a good day nonetheless.

Qui-Long Gone
11-25-2010, 08:49 AM
We will bag our turkey today, as long as the dang bird holds still long enough to stuff in the bag.

bigbarada
11-25-2010, 09:03 AM
I'm working tonight, so I'll most likely spend most of today asleep. Since it's Black Friday, I'm going to be spending all night outside doing crowd control and the weather forecast is saying that the low for tonight is going to be about 20 F. :shocked: The body is much more susceptible to cold weather injuries if you are sleep deprived, so I want to spend as much time sleeping today as I can stand.

I'm actually hoping that the cold doesn't keep the customers away, though. Since my shift will go a lot faster if I'm not just standing there staring at an empty parking lot. Plus, our store's sales have been consistently dropping over the last few months, so we could use the boost.

Qui-Long Gone
11-25-2010, 09:28 AM
I hate going out on Black Friday...plus it sounds racist.

bigbarada
11-25-2010, 09:35 AM
I hate going out on Black Friday...plus it sounds racist.

Yeah, Walmart refers to it internally as "Blitz," most likely for that same reason.

Qui-Long Gone
11-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Yeah, Walmart refers to it internally as "Blitz," most likely for that same reason.

Black Blitz? That doesn't make any more sense than Friday...:D:lipsrsealed:

Bel-Cam Jos
11-25-2010, 10:46 AM
But the term makes sense, non-racially of course: to get stores "into the black" as opposed to "in the red" for their profits, :greedy: AND it's the color of eyes shoppers will have after fighting over toys and electronics. :dead:

Slicker
11-25-2010, 11:09 AM
I normally don't get all sappy and "support the troops" on people but I'm gonna now. I've still a got a ton of friends on the boat and now they're gonna miss Thanksgiving and probably Christmas because of what's going on in Korea. I've personally had to spend a Thanksgiving on the boat and it is one of the most depressing days I've ever had. So please just give even a seconds worth of thought to my friends and the hundreds of thousands of others that can't be home with family.

The article. (http://www.military.com/news/article/us-sending-carrier-strike-group-to-korea.html?col=1186032307786)

Blue2th
11-25-2010, 03:02 PM
I normally don't get all sappy and "support the troops" on people but I'm gonna now. I've still a got a ton of friends on the boat and now they're gonna miss Thanksgiving and probably Christmas because of what's going on in Korea. I've personally had to spend a Thanksgiving on the boat and it is one of the most depressing days I've ever had. So please just give even a seconds worth of thought to my friends and the hundreds of thousands of others that can't be home with family.

The article. (http://www.military.com/news/article/us-sending-carrier-strike-group-to-korea.html?col=1186032307786)
We'll be thinking about them and all the others who can't be at home with the family.
This exercise was planned ahead of the recent incident, so it looks like they're flexing their muscles again with the new Kim taking over. Hope it doesn't escalate any further, but we can't back down now. Hope there's at least get some good grub on Turkey Day. No alcohol though huh.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Received a wonderful gift of a cold the night before and woke up feeling carpy. I wasn't even going to go to the feast to which I was invited and did much less helping with the food prep (just non-food touching assistance like moving pots, getting plates, etc.). I did attend, but tried to stay on the fringes of things; not so joyous that way, but the food, as always, was awesome. Watched most of all three football games for the first time, I think.

bigbarada
11-26-2010, 05:33 PM
No alcohol though huh.

Well, you've got a bunch of ticked off and homesick sailors all stuck in a confined space with the threat of war hanging over their head. So it's probably not a good idea to add alcohol to that mix. :eek:

Blue2th
11-26-2010, 08:32 PM
...Knew that, it's in the article. But thanks for enlightening me. :p

TeeEye7
11-27-2010, 11:17 AM
After working four homicide call-outs this holiday, I think I'll take Thanksgiving off next year.

JimJamBonds
11-27-2010, 01:26 PM
I'm planning on going for a run in the morning (hopefully in the 12-15 mile range) and then I shall strap on the feed bag!!!

I ran 13.9 miles and then a little over an hour later I got my eat on! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: So the timing was perfect. As far as the other question that Ando asked in the initial post on this thread about Friday: Worked, bought a pair of running pants, got an Iphone and then went to a comedy club with Mr. and Mrs. 2-1B (along with 5 other friends).

Bel-Cam Jos
11-24-2011, 10:16 AM
Happy :11-24-2011 everyone! That's what the bottom of the Forums page announces as today's event. :rolleyes:

Peelin' potatoes to make mashed ones, watchin' some football (with Dee-troit having more of a chance to win this year), eatin' and talkin' with friends, bulgin' at the waist most likely and slow lurchin' around after.

sith_killer_99
11-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Well, I am on 24 hour duty today, so the family and I will be celebrating Thanksgiving tomorrow.

TeeEye7
11-24-2011, 06:18 PM
After working four homicide call-outs this holiday, I think I'll take Thanksgiving off next year.

....and I did, too!

Trying to help Mrs. TI7 in the kitchen but I've been chased out. Maybe because I made dinner last night?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

JediTricks
11-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Wednesday, I helped my sister do her day-early Thanksgiving family gathering (she does it a day early due to when she has my niece), although over half the guests canceled, leaving us with just the core of my family - still, 7 was plenty.

Yesterday, I hosted and cooked my own Thanksgiving here at my place, my first, which was a smaller affair but fun. I didn't make a turkey, but bought a pre-cooked turkey breast instead, and that was a beauty in the oven, another Trader Joe's home run. However, I did forget to put out the cranberry sauce, so we had to make due with a few bites during dessert, which was pecan pie and pumpkin pie - my sister dropped by to return my Scrabble board and helped us with the cranberry's and pie. :p

Today was going to be the LA Auto Show, but someone had to cancel, and I stayed up late and feel kinda bleh, so I am going to finish cleaning up and rest.

Tycho
11-27-2011, 11:47 AM
I went with my Grandpa and my Uncle and Aunt to my uncle's country club in Palm Desert.

Had to dress up for people were wearing tuxedos.

It was Thanksgiving Thanksfortaking with the 1%.

The highlights were getting to visit with my grandpa and watching my uncle's young cat nose tackle his labrador retriever dog. Wished I took pictures and video of both.

However, dealing with family is sort of a somber experience for me. I am glad some people feel real joy. I don't get to experience that.