PDA

View Full Version : My DVD Player Won't Display Color

Tycho
11-26-2009, 08:14 AM
So frustrated! It was working before my housekeepers came and before I pressed buttons on my remote control in the dark.

The TV shows color. Check.
The Nintendo Wii shows color. Check.
The VCR shows color. Check.

I can therefore conclude it is not the TV.

The DVD player was just working a while ago (before the housekeeping appointment).

The last movie I watched was Revenge of the Sith - in color.

I've tried changing the connection cables to spares I had. That didn't work.

I've tried changing the output/input jacks I'm using on both the TV and DVD player.

The video playback is very clear, HD, but in black and white. What the heck?!

sonofsokol
11-26-2009, 09:51 AM
What kind of cables connect the DVD player to the TV?

I use component cables (red, blue and green) and on my TV I had to enable component in otherwise it displayed improperly.

Ji'dai
11-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Maybe you inadvertantly changed a setting on the player when you pressed the remote buttons in the dark.

Go into the set-up menus for the player and reset everything to the default settings.

Rocketboy
11-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Just watch Clerks.

JimJamBonds
11-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Or Young Frankenstein, first part of The Wizard Of Oz as well.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Or Shindler's List.

I think this is the Delayed Y2K bug, slowly making our technology revert back to TGOD (The Good Ol' Days).

Sorry; can't help you with any advice, Tycho. Unless, try going Fonzi and just hit it with your hand. :AAAAAAYYYYYY: :cool:

Rocketboy
11-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Or the original King Kong.

Tycho
11-26-2009, 02:09 PM
What kind of cables connect the DVD player to the TV?

I use component cables (red, blue and green) and on my TV I had to enable component in otherwise it displayed improperly.

The same. And I have extra component cables so I tried switching them out and it made no difference. Both are high quality cables, too - different brands even.

Ji'Dai: my original remote for my DVD player is burried somewhere in my storage. I might uncover this in the next couple months, but I haven't had it since August of 2005! My medical story has a lot to do with that.

Anyway, I'm having trouble accessing the DVD player's menu otherwise (if it has one -though it probably should).

JediTricks
11-26-2009, 04:14 PM
It could be in PAL mode, that'd be in the menus. There are a few other settings that could do it as well, but none of these seem likely. Is it possible you have your cables confused somewhere? If you don't have component out set up properly, it'll give a B&W signal off the white component cable to help set it up. Or it could be that your DVD player is damaged from years of being near the floor (more dust and cats and such) and the component-out doesn't work anymore. Try hooking it up via composite and see if that works in color.

Tycho
11-26-2009, 05:38 PM
JT, I barely know what you are talking about (though I thank you for trying to help).

PAL mode is for foreign languages or the hearing impaired, I think.

Otherwise, my DVD player is not being my pal right now, but alternatively, it is being my nemesis.

I don't know what you mean about composite hookups though. Not even a clue.

JediTricks
11-26-2009, 05:55 PM
PAL mode is foreign, yes. Not hearing impaired. It'd be in one of the main menus, and on some DVD players there is a button so maybe your universal remote has that feature in a different button.

Component hookup is the 5-cable input/output system, 3 for video, 2 for audio. Composite hookup is the 3-cable i/o system, 1 for video, 2 for audio. Composite makes for a lower-quality image but is only 1 cable for video (I believe it's color-coded yellow). You could take ANY of those cables and if your TV has a composite video input and your DVD player a composite video output, connect them that way.

Maybe I should just make the drive down before your surgery and try to figure this out for you. :p

Tycho
11-26-2009, 07:13 PM
You're welcome to visit, JT. Hopefully we'll spend time doing something besides re-wiring my TV.

My tv is now using the 3 video input access for HD TV from my new Time-Warner service. Maybe that's sad since I barely watch TV.

My DVD player never had 3 video and 2 audio coming out from it before. I was using 1 video and 2 audio previously.

In fact it was working fine after the Time-Warner hook-up as I watched Clone Wars and ROTS on DVD since then.

I tried hooking the DVD back into the input where the cable was going, I think. I will try that again.

It does say my cable is running through the DVD input. However, I think the DVD was working fine through the other video input before the housekeepers came or I pressed a button in the dark.

JimJamBonds
11-26-2009, 11:08 PM
I think this is the Delayed Y2K bug, slowly making our technology revert back to TGOD (The Good Ol' Days).

I bet its the Y2K+10 Bug getting a jump start on things. :p

LTBasker
11-26-2009, 11:32 PM
You have entered the Twilight Zone.

The good one.

Lord Malakite
11-27-2009, 04:39 AM
Did you try simply unplugging it from the wall/power bar/etc. and replugging it? I have a DVD Player that has an audio issue in which (if its been plugged in for an extended time) it loses all audio. Unplugging and replugging it away fixes the problem. Granted, your problem is video and not audio, but who knows, it could fix it.

Tycho
11-27-2009, 08:39 AM
I'll try that Lord Malakite.

I did change over the video connections so that my HD cable and DVD are running off the correct inputs to the tv. I learned my tv DOES have all those inputs in the back. You'd think it would, but I'm not back there behind it looking at those things all too often.

mtriv73
11-27-2009, 12:16 PM
The same thing happened to me 10 years ago with an old JVC DVD player. It turned out I had the video output coming out of the wrong spot (There were several options on the back which after sounds like the same thing JT was describing.) Try different ones (unfortunately I had to turn it off and on to check each time,) and hopefully that will solve the problem.

Tycho
11-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks. Nothing's helped though. I'm going to unplug the whole thing and take it to BestBuy in the next hour I think.

There's 2 video outputs in the back of the DVD player. The one I'm supposed to use is causing static problems though (in black and white as well). The other output gives me a clear black & white image. Both have sound of perfect quality.

JediTricks
11-27-2009, 03:27 PM
You're welcome to visit, JT. Hopefully we'll spend time doing something besides re-wiring my TV.Well, I was trying to time it with another friend, but that has been a scheduling mess.

My tv is now using the 3 video input access for HD TV from my new Time-Warner service. Maybe that's sad since I barely watch TV.I guess I won't suggest to you that you switch to an HDMI cable then. ;)

My DVD player never had 3 video and 2 audio coming out from it before. I was using 1 video and 2 audio previously.Yeah, that was composite video you were using before, and you can go back to that if you like, though it's a MASSIVE step backwards in visual quality from the 5-cable component video.

In fact it was working fine after the Time-Warner hook-up as I watched Clone Wars and ROTS on DVD since then.

I tried hooking the DVD back into the input where the cable was going, I think. I will try that again.

It does say my cable is running through the DVD input. However, I think the DVD was working fine through the other video input before the housekeepers came or I pressed a button in the dark.Ugh, this is a mess. That's really bad. I think I'll come down there tomorrow or Sunday, if your schedule is permitting. I'll text you later today about that. ;)

Tycho
11-28-2009, 12:29 AM
I took the DVD player to BestBuy. Geek Squad wanted to ship it out for testing for whatever they charge. I insisted they test it in front of me. It worked fine. I learned that I own some kind of HD DVD player and I'm supposed to have 5 output cables coming out of it. I also learned that I used to until I unplugged everything when Time Warner installed my new cable service. I also learned why I suddenly had extra cables I hadn't had laying around unused before. Big mystery solved. Did you know that I actually had to plug those cables in to the DVD player and the TV in order for it to work? Who thought of that? I am so smart that after 18 previous posts on this thread and hauling my 7-disc changer component down to Best Buy, I was able to quickly figure this out. :yes:

Now that I know I can do this, I'm off to the Rancor Pit to help Sith_Killer99 resolve the rest of our national problems. :lipsrsealed:

JediTricks
11-28-2009, 04:09 AM
DUDE! Everybody was saying it was the component cables here, and I even went to the trouble of explaining what component cables were. And you went to Geek Squad on Black Friday for this???

I think we're going to have to all get together at Comic-Con 2010 and slap you upside the head, 1 at a time. I'm first. :p

Tycho
11-28-2009, 07:11 AM
Yeah, but I thought "How could my problem be the fault of my component cables if I hadn't plugged them in?" Very logical reasoning if you ask me :D

Bel-Cam Jos
11-28-2009, 11:39 AM
DUDE!

I think we're going to have to all get together at Comic-Con 2010 and slap you upside the head, 1 at a time. I'm first. :pWouldn't that be the 30th anniversary of Airplane! as well? I claim the nun habit costume with the tire iron! We'll win the Masquerade for sure. :pleased:

I had a car horn that wouldn't stop going off. I took it to a shop. They removed the fuze. Problem solved (although I no longer had a working horn). Occum's Razor sometimes leaves nicks and cuts, you know. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
11-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Wouldn't that be the 30th anniversary of Airplane! as well? I claim the nun habit costume with the tire iron! We'll win the Masquerade for sure. :pleased:

I had a car horn that wouldn't stop going off. I took it to a shop. They removed the fuze. Problem solved (although I no longer had a working horn). Occum's Razor sometimes leaves nicks and cuts, you know. :rolleyes:
Nice, I can't decide between the baseball bat, and the back of my hand. "Get ahold of yourself!"

When my car horn started failing intermittently, my guys took off the steering wheel and cleaned the contacts. Because I wanted a horn. So it depends on the problem you want solved.

El Chuxter
11-30-2009, 05:08 PM
I went to Best Buy on Black Friday, too. But I didn't take anything in, and left with some cool CDs by folks like the Police, Rusted Root, Blood Sweat & Tears, Weezer, and Tom Waits.