PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy A New Speederbike?

Tycho
11-30-2009, 08:37 AM
I am continuing my thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case a new speederbike from Return of the Jedi).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy a new speederbike from Return of the Jedi.

The 1995 release of this vehicle started it out by re-using the vintage mold.
Some here have related problems with the exploding action feature and others with the need for a styling update, and a more sturdy design. And some desire an "in-flight" clear stand that lets you pose the bike in action.

The vehicle could be released at least 5 different times:

with a Bikerscout
with Paploo
with Princess Leia
with Luke Skywalker
with Stass Allie from ROTS

They could do the release all at once, too - with extra Bikerscouts included in each shipment, and 1 per case (or less frequent than that) on Paploo and Stass Allie.

So do you want the speederbike updated?

What other features would you want on it?

Why would you NOT want it?

What price range is fair, and what is predictable for this to be retailed for?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

LTBasker
11-30-2009, 10:16 AM
So do you want the speederbike updated?

I have been waiting over a decade for a new OT version. The POTF2 version was fine when I was 10, but really lost it's luster throughout my teen years and is now a disappointment.

What other features would you want on it?

-Clear plastic stands.
-Secured, and guaranteed interaction with the foot pedal and the figure's foot.
-Rear vent covers on a ratchet joint so they can be displayed at various angles instead of permanently up, down, or flopping around.
-The current Biker Scout sculpt updated with ball-jointed hips, and ball-jointed wrists.
- Sturdy plastic.

Why would you NOT want it?

They have had two chances to make a perfect OT speederbike release possible. The first was in 2000 with their absolutely perfect 12" scale version (http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-12-Speeder-Bike-ScoutTrooper_W0QQitemZ370296790263QQcmdZViewItemQQ ptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5637689cf7), and then 2 years later with the nearly OT-perfect AOTC deluxe bike. The problems with the latter is that the rear didn't have the poncho mount, which was pretty much the only non-OT detail, and that it was made out of gummy plastic. Understandably, the POTF2 Speederbikes' plastic would probably put them in a class with lawn darts if they were released now, but I won't tolerate a flimsy speederbike.

The only way I will accept a gummy plastic version, is if that is the mass retail version. Meanwhile, they can use exclusive channels to release a collector's edition that uses sturdy plastic. Without sturdy plastic, or even a single one of the features I mentioned above, I will not buy this. They have had 13 years since the POTF2 version was first released, and 2 missed opportunities that reak of blatant stupidity, to release one. It's time to get it right.

I will accept nothing short of perfection.

What price range is fair, and what is predictable for this to be retailed for?

$15 for just the figure and bike. $20 if it's in a battle pack with another figure or two. $25 if it's a 2-pack.

How do you think it would sell if produced?

It would be a glorious day upon it's arrival, and songs would be sung about it's release, and it would spawn newfound peace in war-torn regions, and China would weep from the magnificence they will have helped create, and it will create new humans' rights laws in their Governments. For centuries to come it will be the sole item in which every other product is compared to; no longer hotcakes; no longer sliced bread. Any popular item will be known as "selling like the OT speederbike," or being "the greatest thing since the OT speederbike." Even in the post-apocalyptic world when Star Wars is no longer known, and plastic toys have been forgotten, the epic effect of the speederbike will live on. It will be that great.

I'm sure people would buy lots of them, too.

bigbarada
11-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and YES! :yes:

LTBasker gave a good list of new features that it must have. Definitely get rid of the "bird feet" standing mechanism that it has now. More detailed, no "exploding" feature.

I remember we asked Hasbro a while back about updating this and they were strangely cold to the idea. They acted as if it wasn't really an important enough vehicle to even consider a redo. They said they wanted to focus more on the unmade speeders from the films (which means the Prequels and Special Editions, since there was only one speeder shown in the non-SE original trilogy)

The ROTJ Speeder Bike is actually the only speeder that is an important element to the Star Wars storyline. Because without this vehicle Leia would never have been separated from the rest of the Rebels and our heroes would have never discovered the Ewoks. Which means that our heroes would have failed their mission and the Emperor would have defeated the Rebellion once and for all.

Most of the speeders shown in the prequels are nothing more than background filler. The only ones that have any sort of relevance to the storyline are Anakin's speeder on Tatooine and Dooku's speeder and both of those have already been made into pretty decent toys.

And just in case you didn't catch it the first time: Yes, I would buy several of these. :)

pbarnard
11-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Yes IF they give it proper pedals, control sticks, ditch the t-bar based exploding feature. Essentially, make it screen accurate. The clear plastic stand would be nice, but wouldn't stop me from buying at least one (and probably more). And yes, it could be packed with several different figures over time. Hasbro could get a lot of milage out of it.

gba88
11-30-2009, 11:04 AM
I'd buy one at the 15 pricepoint with one figure, 20 if 2 figures. Just screen accurate, NO exploding feature (I even hated that feature when i was a kid and had the original!).

If they wanted it to sell to the general public, just throw in an ewok with the rider and make it 20-25.

DarkArtist
11-30-2009, 12:26 PM
i would drop the cash on a new speeder bike if it was more movie accurate and detailed. this is one of favorite OT vehicles and was always a favorite when I was kid (still have my original from back in the day).

I would love to also have a repaint issued of the one from ROTS as well. love the paint scheme on it.

as far as massive re-issues (ie, biker scout, paploo, Luke, Leia, etc) I would rather a big Endor Battle pack with new sculpts or re-issues of the Vintage Leia, Biker Scouts, and perhaps new sculpts of Luke and Paploo.

as far as the ROTS version - new SA sculpt Stass and packed like the current deluxe line.

mtriv73
11-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Absolutely. More detailed hopefully, no break-apart feature, no missles that shoot off (I really hate those thngs.) I don't even care if it comes with figures. Stick 2 in a box and make it a $30 exclusive and I'd buy it.

DarkJedi5
11-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Yes I would buy a few of these. I'd want to replace the weird feet that stand it up with clear plastic stands. Get rid of the exploding feature and like Basker said, fix the flaps so that they are like the viewport covers on the new AT-ST. The problem this vehicle has is that the only place for it seems to be a battle pack and that's where I'd put it. Just like the gelagrub it would feel like a poor value, but all the cost to tool up a new speederbike and to mod the Scout trooper so that he's got the ball jointed hips necessary wouldn't be cheap. Then you can do just like the POTF2 and release another BP down the road with Endor Luke with new ball jointed hips and same for Leia. That would get me to buy at least 4 BPs with hardly any tooling once the new bike is done.

Tycho
11-30-2009, 03:54 PM
I may be the lone voice of dissent on this one, but the question is whether I'd buy one - I'd love for you guys to get what you want out for your collections.

My answer is "no, I wouldn't buy one." I have at least 7 of the 1995 style in use (one with Luke, one with Leia) and many more not in use as they came with the add-armor Clone Trooper Deluxe Pack for Episode 2.

Enough is enough. I'm not really about replacing stuff. I did that ONCE with my collection really: I replaced vintage with modern as it got updated and expanded. I did so because now I have a Wedge Antilles figure, and a real Admiral Piett and not a stand-in wearing the black uniform. I'd also never have had a Count Dooku or General Grievous figure, so it makes sense.

What I don't have is a box full of Tatooine Luke's somewhere for every time they upgrade him. But instead of vintage nostalgia (though I still have some), I have notalgia for the resurgence of the modern line with such classics as monkey-faced Leia and Chewie Ramierez. I look fondly back upon the memories of those days as some of you might look back to when lightsaber blades extended from straight, stiff, unarticulated arms wearing vinyl capes. :yes: It's all part of our heritage. And who could forget Lando Ramierez who was strong enough to pull the ears off a gundark?

JediTricks
11-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Yes, I would buy it. Basker's ideas are all solid. I like the idea we threw at Hasbro a few years ago with the stands that can angle left or right, as well.

The existing one is 26 years old, it has that spring bar, it has the failed leg hover gimmick which now pops right out of the flaps so it just crumples to the ground. The controls are the wrong orientation and too thick for modern hands to grasp. And because they had to neuter the explosion gimmick, now it's all gappy and messed up worse than ever.

El Chuxter
11-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Maybe. Probably. Okay, definitely, as long as it's not just minor cosmetic adjustments to the 1983 mold yet again.

Neuroleptic
11-30-2009, 05:47 PM
I'd buy a new version in a heart beat. Especialy if it came with a biker scout with ball jointed hips, could stand on its own, and was more movie acurate than the current one.

I bought the snowtrooper biker scout set last year and was extreamly dissapointed in it. I had no idea they'd gimped the exploding feature for some reason, and could not realy get the current figures to actualy stay on it. Total let down.

Darth Jax
11-30-2009, 07:50 PM
resculpt it (with NO exploding action) to work with the modern figures. include a clear stand. pack it with a figure (and then keep repacking it with other figs) and i'd buy several if it's reasonably priced. if it's BP priced (or less hopefully) i could get it, make it dewback priced and you've got a pegwarmer on your hands for financial reasons.

DarkArtist
12-01-2009, 03:18 PM
I like the exploding feature actually...one of my favorites.:thumbsup:

Devo
12-01-2009, 04:44 PM
I wouldn't be majorly excited about it to be honest but I'd buy it. To me its not like getting a new rescaled Falcon or AT-ST. The vehicle will be the same size as the old one, just more detailed. Worthy of purchase but it won't make me go hyper.

morpheus282
12-01-2009, 07:49 PM
I'd probably buy one if it looked really good. Two if it looked amazingly good. Three only if it came packaged with Olivia Munn in the slave Leia costume.

Tycho
12-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Olivia Munn in the slave Leia costume.

Now there's a great figure idea! How come that wasn't an option in the Toy Fare Fans' Choice Poll?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Yes, I would love a new speeder bike. I have five of the POTF2 version (Biker Scout, Luke, Leia, and the two from the big Target Endor pack; then the two from the Hoth set, but who's counting those?) but I would probably be good for at least two of these. For some reason I can hardly pass up on Biker Scouts, so these would only expand on that.

El Chuxter
12-01-2009, 08:10 PM
For some reason I can hardly pass up on Biker Scouts, so these would only expand on that.

I know what you mean. Only for you, it's Biker Scouts, and, for me, it's copies of The Catcher in the Rye.

Snowtrooper
12-01-2009, 11:38 PM
If as described above, I would definitely buy it. I didn't have much of a problem with the old one, but its time to have this iconic vehicle redone.

Tycho
01-21-2010, 01:16 PM
A new speederbike won 16 - 1 (I was the only board member not interested in it :lol: and I think on Rebelscum they have pictures of it, as Hasbro was planning it all along.

I can't tell by the pics if it is as improved upon as you guys would like it to be, but it's coming nevertheless.

bigbarada
01-21-2010, 01:55 PM
A new speederbike won 16 - 1 (I was the only board member not interested in it :lol: and I think on Rebelscum they have pictures of it, as Hasbro was planning it all along.

I can't tell by the pics if it is as improved upon as you guys would like it to be, but it's coming nevertheless.

It's not improved at all, just the same old crappy vintage mold.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-21-2010, 02:25 PM
It's not improved at all, just the same old crappy vintage mold.
Not to mention, it's in a bizarre white-gray color. What the hell?

Darth Jax
01-21-2010, 08:11 PM
is it going to be the pack-in with the new AT-AT?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-21-2010, 08:15 PM
We're talking about this one (http://www.rebelscum.com/2010/TLCdlxspeeder.jpg), which is a TRU exclusive in the figure-and-vehicle line (the only OT entry in the line so far). I hadn't really thought of whether they're going to do an all-new one for the AT-AT, but I assume it'll be a repack of the white one from the battle pack a few years back.

Darkross
01-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Probably...but we could really use a resculpt of this vehicle! It's been nearly 30 years! I still have my vintage one, and 4 of the POTF2.

Darth Jax
01-21-2010, 11:42 PM
We're talking about this one (http://www.rebelscum.com/2010/TLCdlxspeeder.jpg), which is a TRU exclusive in the figure-and-vehicle line (the only OT entry in the line so far). I hadn't really thought of whether they're going to do an all-new one for the AT-AT, but I assume it'll be a repack of the white one from the battle pack a few years back.

that doesn't even begin to look right. looks like another TRU exclusive i'll be saved from driving across town to pick up.

sith_killer_99
01-22-2010, 12:08 AM
It all depends on the price, if it was under $30.00 I probably would.

RENDAR LIVES
01-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Definitely!!! I also want the peddles to actually fit my Republic Gunship as well.

clone157
01-26-2010, 10:44 PM
I wish they would just find the molds of the handlebars from the first Clone Wars speederbikes. And that they would redesign the back of the dang Gunships to hold BARC speeders.

aussiedarth
01-27-2010, 05:43 AM
I wish they would just find the molds of the handlebars from the first Clone Wars speederbikes. And that they would redesign the back of the dang Gunships to hold BARC speeders.
I agree. Hasbro have only used the first Animated Series Clone Wars speeder bike once. It was a great new resculpt. The only negative things about it were that it would have been good if the foot pedals had pegs to hold the feet in, and the handlebars be made of stronger plastic. Maybe even a clear stand to give it some sort of "flying" affect would be perfect.