PDA

View Full Version : Mini Review : Plo Koon

pthfnder89
02-26-2002, 02:20 PM
I recieved several of AOTC figures in the mail today, so I thought I'd post a review for anybody who hasn't gotten to see these in person.

Plo Koon : He's my favorite Jedi, and even though he didn't do much in Ep1, his packaging says he leads the Jedi into battle on Geonosis, so I'm looking forward to him having a much larger part!:)

His AOTC figure has good articulation, at his head shoulders, both elbows, waist and legs. These are basically the same joints as the POTJ Plo, except that since he doesn't have full length robes on this time, his legs are allowed to actually move.

His paint job is very mediocre compared to the excellent POTJ version. The patterns on his head just appear muted somehow. On the rest of his body however, the paint is fine. Nothing outstanding, but nothing to complain about.

The much lamented "force effect" is actually kind of cool in my opinion, but one thing bothers me. The figure just holds it by gripping a small pole in the back. It looks good from one angle, but from another angle you can see that he's just holding onto a peg and it ruins the effect. Overall though, I like these and I hope they keep adding them with the Jedi figures.

His lightsaber is something that really has me guessing. Since Plo was never seen on screen with a lightsaber in Ep1, his yellow POTJ saber was designed by Hasbro. In AOTC, Lucas wants all the lightsabers to be either blue, red, or green (with the single exception of Maces purple saber), so the new Plo Koon figure comes with a completely different saber than the POTJ version.

Two things are strange to me here:
1. Plo has a small hole on his belt for the detachable lightsaber handle to fit into, just like Eeth Koth. The REALLY weird thing is his saber handle DOESN'T HAVE A PEG.:stupid: I don't know why they included the hole when the lightsaber itself can't hang from it, but it's damn wierd.

2. Plo's new saber handle is the EXACT SAME as Mace Windus lightsaber in Episode 1. What I mean is it is exactly the same as the real model that was identified as Mace Windus in publicity photos and reference books. It's NOT the same sculpt as the saber that came with the EP1 Windu figures. The new saber sculpt looks excellent, but I keep wondering why they gave him that one based on an old design...

My personal theory is that since they let Samuel L. Jackson choose a completely new saber handle for AOTC, they just decided to give his old design to another Jedi. This makes perfect sense, as Plo Koon never actually had a lightsaber in the first movie, and Samuel L. Jacksons saber was never really shown on screen. Still, it surprised me .

Well that's it. In the end, I like this figure, but it still leaves me with questions about the rest of the new toys. The paint jobs are what concern me most, but I'll have to wait until April to see all the figures.

Overall, I like this Plo figure, but

DahrJin
02-26-2002, 02:27 PM
Blue, red or green.....what about Saesee Tinns purple saber? Will he be getting a blue or green one? Why mess with something we already have?

pthfnder89
02-26-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by DahrJin
Blue, red or green.....what about Saesee Tinns purple saber? Will he be getting a blue or green one? Why mess with something we already have?

Saesee Tinns new saber will be green. You can see pictures of him in the Toyfair photos.

Darth Evil
02-26-2002, 02:41 PM
What other figures did you get?

pthfnder89
02-26-2002, 02:46 PM
I got Shaak Ti, because she was the only other Jedi I could find for sale, and I got the regular Battle Droid.

I'm definitely not opening Shaak Ti , but I might open up the Battle Droid soon. He looks great BTW. He comes with two little electricity things that twist around him like the POTJ Boomer Damage Droid, and he has a blaster with a muzzle flash accessory. The neat thing is that he has a tiny peg on his chest so that you can take the muzzle flash off the gun, and stick it on his chest, so it looks like he's getting hit instead of firing.

Beast
02-26-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by DahrJin
The lightsaber colors that we have on the E1 and POTJ figures are based on the comic books, as well as Hasbro's own choices. Someone a while back said that they tried to make a student film that used yellow, orange, silver, and other colors from the comic and it didn't look right, so I assume they faced the same thing with the lightsaber colors for the actual movies.

I think Lucas also wants to suggest some reasoning behind the color choices also. Lucas loves the use of color to suggest things, like his use of red for the Sith Saber's and the Emorer's Royal Guards. Mace gets purple because he is the head of the council. Jedi's with Green Saber's probably earned some honor in battle or award for service. And Blue sabers are for regular Jedi's that haven't earned an honor or award. Besides, I think that the use of the 3 basic colors of lightsabers, and their variations, like Mace's Purple saber (that can be considered a varient of blue) is a great idea. Frankly I didn't like the idea of Adi Gallia with a Crimson lightsaber anyway. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

evenflow
02-26-2002, 03:19 PM
I really liked the idea of having many different colored sabers, I thought it was cool. Too bad we are back to three colors.

neimoidian85
02-26-2002, 04:21 PM
4 colors!

BlahBlahBlah
02-26-2002, 04:43 PM
Man, and I was looking forward to seeing Yaddle with an orange lightsaber, Plo with a gold saber, Saesee with a purple saber, and Adi with a crimson saber instead of just green and blue all around.

PloKoon2385
02-26-2002, 05:23 PM
Hey where'd you get them and for how much?

pthfnder89
02-26-2002, 05:58 PM
Plo Koon and the Battle Droid were $15 each, and Shaak Ti was a bit more.

A vendor had quite a few of the collection 2 figures at the SciFi Expo here in Dallas last weekend. I didn't want to spend the kind of money he wanted for most of them though. The statuesque Preview Jango Fett was going for $45 or so, and so was the Super BAttle Droid and a few others.

pthfnder89
02-26-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by evenflow
I really liked the idea of having many different colored sabers, I thought it was cool.

True, but I like the idea that the lightsabers color actually symbolizes something. I was kind of dissappointed when they started making good Jedi with red sabers. It just didn't seem right to me.

LTBasker
02-26-2002, 08:15 PM
Weird, POTJ Saesae (Saesee? Can't remember...) had a dark blue lightsaber, which would just be a variant of blue like purple.

Beast
02-26-2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Weird, POTJ Saesae (Saesee? Can't remember...) had a dark blue lightsaber, which would just be a variant of blue like purple.
The saber that the POTJ Saesee Tiin comes with is a dark purple. Since we have seen the E2 figure of him at Toy Fair, it looks like even purple colors are gone and Saesee will come with a Green Lightsaber. Looks like that purple will be reserved for just the head of the council, Mace Windu. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
02-26-2002, 09:06 PM
Ah, dark purple? I thought it was dark blue, guess I wasn't looking very close. And I thought Yoda was the head of the JC with Mace being only 2nd? I assumed this from the "Not even Master Yoda has that high of midichlorian count." or however the line went. :D

Jedi Law Student
02-26-2002, 11:27 PM
Well, I'll grant that I was a little shocked when I first saw Adi Gallia's lightsaber color. (However, nothing could ruin that action figure for me... it was one of the best in the Episode I line, IMHO.) I think as a rule, only the Sith should have red sabers, though. However, as far as variety of colors, I think the more, the better. I liked the return of the yellow lightsaber we saw with Plo Koon. And I liked Saesee Tiin's purple one.

Not that this has anything to do with the topic of lightsaber colors, but I am suddenly really looking forward to the AOTC version of the Battle Droid with the blaster effects. I think it will be tops on my list come midnight madness time in April.

pthfnder89
02-27-2002, 12:08 AM
And I thought Yoda was the head of the JC with Mace being only 2nd? I assumed this from the "Not even Master Yoda has that high of midichlorian count." or however the line went. :D

That seems like it would make sense, but I thought Mace was the head of the council too. I don't really know why I was so sure of that though; was it ever stated somewhere for certain? On Maces Ep1 cardback or something?

Amanamike
02-27-2002, 01:05 AM
Too many colors makes my eyes hurt!!!!:crazed:

JediDan
03-01-2002, 07:28 PM
Head on over to www.Amoktime.com and you can buy the Battle Droid or Plo Koon Arena Battle both Ep.2 AOTC figures. I got mine last week. Only $19.99 each. Not too bad of a price for now. The new cards are awesome. Each figure has a little diorama behind the figure. Can't wait to get the rest.

THE Slayer
03-02-2002, 08:16 PM
Were the saber colors for the ep1 figs out bfr the "Jedi power battle" video games? The characters in the game had the same colors as the figs. I really liked the way adi fought with her saber in the game, too bad she holds it the same as all the other jedi in ep2.

Jargo
03-02-2002, 09:52 PM
There is no way on God's green earth that i would pay that much for a figure I'll be able to pick up for a fraction of that in a couple of months. I realise that 'having' is going to come before the cost but that still sems extreme to me.

i liked the different saber colours, it gave each jedi an air of individuality somehow. Now they'll all just be one more jedi.....

So what colour are the baby Jedi sabers? Pink, powder blue? just wondering that's all. :)

LTBasker
03-02-2002, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
So what colour are the baby Jedi sabers? Pink, powder blue? just wondering that's all. :)

Powder purple and powder blue, remember it has to be a variation on a color. :D

Beast
03-02-2002, 10:18 PM
Powder purple and powder blue, remember it has to be a variation on a color. :D
It would be baby blue and mint green. Because pink is reserved for baby sith's. :D Oh lord, look at where this thread is headed. Soon Lucas will make Star Wars Babies. :crazed:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
03-02-2002, 11:13 PM
I thought he already had... :crazed:

Beast
03-02-2002, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I thought he already had... :crazed:
Oh god that's a tad disturbing. Well, it could be worse, ateast Lucas doesn't wanna do an Animated TV series. Remember the Star Wars episodes of Muppet Babies. The Horror...the Horror. :dead:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks