PDA

View Full Version : QUESTIONS FOR HASBRO - round 78

JediTricks
12-04-2009, 12:20 AM
Please post your VOTE for up to 6 {six} of the questions provided in this thread, letting us know which ones you most want to see asked on December 18th. Keep in mind that your votes in round 77 do not count in this round, so if your question is still on the list you may want to vote for it again.

Also, feel free to post new questions. For reference, here are Hasbro's answers to previous SSG questions (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=1934); and from other sites (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=1936). The questions we asked last round can be found here (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=708022#post708022).

Current questions (vote for up to 6):

- In a recent Q&A, you mentioned that "[Hasbro] will continue working with Sideshow on their 12" figure program." As we know, Sideshow sub-licenses their 12" Star Wars through Hasbro's Star Wars license, but the intricacies of this relationship are not fully understood. With your recent comment above, collectors are ever more curious as to how exactly Hasbro and Sideshow work together on that 12" figure line. What types of input and interaction does Hasbro have into the Star Wars items that Sideshow produces?
- Beyond Star Wars, many other franchises have tried their hand at Titanium Series - Battlestar Galactica, Indiana Jones, Marvel, Transformers, even Stargate was floated as being in some level of planning - yet they all eventually faded away from Titanium Series' light. What lessons has the Titanium Series team taken away from those other licenses' lines and their passings? For example, how did the Stargate line not come to be? Or you put off the wave with the BSG Basestar and couldn't find a slot for this new tooling before the license ran out, yet you released a Starbuck repaint of the Viper mk 2 at theproverbial 11th hour (and didn't hit shelves until the 13th hour), an unusual distinction which fans don't really understand, and could use more behind-the-scenes insight into - why didn't that Basestar tooling get shoehorned into a later wave before the license with Universal ran out? Why release a repaint vehicle that won't satisfy fans as much, rather than an all-new mold which fans have been clamoring for?
- What was the decision making process behind creating a Jabba the Hutt animated figure instead of a Ziro the Hutt figure? Ziro has appeared in the Clone Wars series more than Jabba so far, and his animated behavior fits the Clone Wars animated series better than Jabba. Was it merely the character recognizability of Jabba, or the fact that you had existing accessories for him, or was the idea of an evil Truman Capote Hutt just too out-there for ya?
- Mace Windu has been represented in action figure form for 11 years now, and a large portion of those figures were released with some unique, non-standard aspect. Mace has been the first "sneak peek" and a mail-away in the modern line, the first hard-shell "choco" robe, AOTC had a deluxe before basic which has a smiling face and a second figure, AOTC basic had the screaming face, 2003 AOTC basic had the "ultimate lightsaber control" stick gimmick, ROTS had the Force Lightning throw-off gimmick, and now the Clone Wars version with removable armor and saber-swinging waist. While there have been a few normal Mace figures, and even a super-articulated one finally, it seems as if Mace Windu has been tapped by Hasbro to be the sculpting and gimmick guinea pig. Is this pattern intentional, do you think he can't sell without these sorts of things, is it just happenstance, or does someone there subliminally not realize they keep picking Mace to be the test guy?
- In this year's SDCC slideshow presentation, you previewed the first Knights of the Old Republic comic-pack, which features Rohlan Dyre and Jarael. Why though is the series main protagonist Zayne not included in the first KOTOR pack? Any chance we will be seeing him released soon after that pack, or at least at some point?
- In The Force Unleashed, Admiral Ozzik Sturn piloted an AT-KT (All Terrain Kashyyyk Transport) in a boss battle against our hero and the enslaved Wookiees. The AT-KT is merely a heavier-armed version of the AT-ST. Now that we have a new AT-ST coming out, might Hasbro be willing to do a modified version for the AT-KT as well?
- Has there been any thought to creating a repaint of Clone Wars C-3PO in his "Droids" cartoon coloring? This mold is already fairly cartoony in design and realization. It would make a nifty collectible for fans of the classic cartoon, yet also could work for new collectors unfamiliar with the series as an alternate protocol droid with a unique color scheme. Any chance of seeing this happen from Hasbro, or would it have to show up in the new cartoon first to even be considered?
- The Clone Wars line has been a boon for its droid designs, but is following suit from the realistic lines with the sagging leg problems. This is especially noticeable on Clone Wars Battle Droids and General Grievous. Yet in the same line, IG-86 and the Commando Droid don't suffer this, the difference being that they have ankle joints while the BD and Grievous figures do not. It seems like the joints take stress off the thin leg elements helping cope with wilting issues, and that's a pretty big deal. Obviously including either knee or ankle articulation on them isn't a cheap undertaking, but it seems like a necessary one in the scheme of things since if a figure can't stand up, it's going to be far less fun. Any possibility of including one type of lower leg articulation or another on future versions of these figures as this partial solution to this long-time problem?
- One of your answers in the September 10th round mentioned that R2-X2 is a corrected version of the droid that came in the Entertainment Earth Exclusive set. Another figure in one of those sets, R3-T2, was also painted incorrectly in comparison to its onscreen counterpart. The version you released had a white dome with a metallic brown stripe, while it should have a red dome with white panels. Are there any plans to release a corrected version of R3-T2 down the line?
- Have you considered sealing magnets into figures' feet and including metal stands to avoid the numerous problems that have come up with footpeg holes over the years? Kotobukiya is doing that with their new ARTFX+ line of statue kits to great success, and although 3.75" figures are a smaller medium, magnetic feet would go well with your action figure line with all its challenges keeping figures standing.
- We've now seen Hasbro imagery of deluxe Anakin with Desert Sport Skiff, and us old-fogey collectors who have been around since 1996 are quite surprised to see that accessory's return. It wasn't exactly popular back in the day, its styling wasn't that Star Warsy, and its wobbly guns didn't help much, yet now we have it back for a whole new generation of Star Wars collectors. The other 1996 deluxe releases - Crowd Control Stormtrooper, Han Solo with Flight Pack, and Boba Fett with Mega Jetpack of Doom - weren't exactly crowd-pleasers either, but will we be seeing any of them re-released? Though the idea of a small vehicle for Anakin makes sense, re-releasing this piece seems like such an odd choice. Could you guide us through the thought process on this one? Did the failure of the original influence the decision at all?
- With the new deluxe vehicle assortment consistent of the ARC-170 repaint and the Clone Wars Y-wing, there seems to be a focus on raising prices in the line across the board, though that scale's jump from $30 to $60+ is especially noteworthy. Basic figures are $8 or more now, comic packs have gone up $4, battle packs and vehicles are going up around $5, deluxe figure & vehicle packs are a pricey $17, the last dribs and drabs of Titanium Series are over $8, Force FX sabers have gone up $20, and exclusives pricing is all over the map. Clearly, the economic turmoil over the last few years has hit the Hasbro Star Wars brand exceptionally hard, but don't these prices seem harder and harder to justify for both hardcore and casual collectors? We know you are trying to do your best to keep the line alive, but right now collectors are very concerned about the brand's future, and see the price-hikes as the culprit to its possible downfall. Raising prices is a downward spiral. Isn't there some way to better split the costs hikes between customers and profit margins, before there are virtually no customers left to eke profit margins out of, and the line folds?
- With the Wedge Antilles X-wing Fighter set, you have a great-looking boxed set there, but it's marred by one odd choice: the nifty kill-marks are printed on white paper stickers rather than clear transparent ones, which look terrible on the ship. Why go with the white-backed stickers over the transparent ones? If this was a factory error, and we're hoping it is, will there be a reissued set of stickers on clear backing?
- On the latest TIE Interceptor's packaging, the box art on the front has a highly-detailed ship which is not actually representing the toy, the back of the box imagery does that. However, while the new cockpit pod is a great improvement, that art highlights the wings being the same existing designs we've had for the last 3 decades, and their size and lack of detail really shows compared to the new pod. Granted, you've just released a TIE Interceptor so it's not like we're going to see new wings next week. But hypothetically, how far in the future might fans have to wait to get a set of updated TIE Interceptor wings to match the quality of the new pod?
- With the 2008 Medical Frigate Luke figure, the figure almost fits the bill for Echo Base recovery scene Luke, if not for the open mechanical arm, and the different likeness with scars and Hoth hairstyle. That scene also has 2 other characters whose figures are in dire need of updating: Leia Hoth, and 2-1B, both of which haven't seen new figure designs in over a decade. With a Recovery Luke figure, it'd just be a new head required (the body and undamaged forearm tooling already exists from the VOTC figure) so you could also include the mask he wore in that scene's less-infamous cut footage (we're not asking you to make kissing Luke & Leia, you'll have to decide if you're twisted enough to go there ;-) ). So, any chances of knocking the Echo Base Recovery scene out of the park by making new 2-1B, Leia Hoth, and Luke recovery figures?
- The Resurgence of the Jedi battle pack has a new ANH Luke Skywalker and already fans are enjoying the new likeness and the torso design, but the other elements have some issues. The VOTC Luke's legs were used here, and they seem too small for this figure, under proportion compared to the upper body. Also, the plastic "skirt" is rather stiff, preventing the figure from sitting down, extra frustrating since this scene he's sitting down most of the time. Might a future ANH Luke figure address these problems while still using this head and torso?
- Regarding the head on the Cloud City Wing Guard figure, the cardback suggests this is supposed to be Sgt. Edian, yet while the coloring is a black person's and Edian is a black man, the sculpt is clearly that of a white guy. Everything about the head sculpt, even the hair, is a different guy given a dark brown deco. While it could be seen technically as an update to the vintage black Bespin Security Guard on skin tone alone, the features and cardback on that Kenner figure were clearly Edian and were differentiated from the other Kenner white Bespin Guard figure. Why was this new Edian figure given a white guy's face sculpt? Any chance we'll see this head sculpt again as another ethnicity, or a new and more accurate Sgt. Edian sculpt in the future?
- Will we ever get more multipacks from the Star Wars: Battlefront series? There are Original Trilogy factions that still need to be boxed up, and they'd have tons of cross-consumer interest from gamers to army building potential to kids who want a battle in a box, and just OT fans in general. Most of the figures exist as it is, with only the Rebel Smuggler, and the Rebel Sniper who could be retooled based on existing Leia figures, there are tons of variations from Hoth and Endor, and then there's also the Ep 2-era clones that show up in Battlefront 1 and 2 that could tie in with The Clone Wars. So, any chance of seeing anything more like this?
- Lightsaber Launching R2-D2, one of the little guy's coolest moments. The most recent figure wasn't very good, and was 11 years ago. We understand that safety regulations prohibit a spring-loaded projectile from being under 3 inches, so how about a few compromises instead? How about an R2 that can have a removable panel and can hold just the ROTJ Luke saber hilt (in the film it's facing upwards anyway), and if you still must have the gimmick, it can be replaced with a full-length Luke saber with blade that goes all the way through the body and a hole out the bottom and fires that way, R2 wasn't using his middle leg in the scene but kids will hold the figure during play so it doesn't matter that the blade goes past his feet. This would also be a great excuse to finally get a nice new Luke ROTJ lightsaber accessory out after 13 years of suffering imitations. So how about it, isn't it time we get a decent Lightsaber Launching R2-D2?
- In a recent answer, Hasbro revealed that the Spring 2010 EU wave will be the only group of non-Clone Wars new figures until the Fall. Granted, we have seen gaps in the line before - most recently in the break between The Force Unleashed wave in Spring 2008 and the ROTJ wave in July 2008 - but this news has many collectors worried. With the Legacy line apparently in poor shape, is it the wisest idea to put it on hiatus for over 2 quarters next year? Granted, we'll still have The Clone Wars figures to look forward to, but such a pause might cause even more movie-based collectors to walk away and further undermine the line, perhaps into completely folding. Hasbro stated recently, "We are working hard to get [collectors who have left the line] back, and we think that what we have lined up next year will be our best attempt." We know full details will be revealed at Toy Fair so we won't ask specifics, but can collectors look forward to some movie-based products in those lean 6 to 8 months while the basic Legacy-style line is on hiatus, enough stuff to hold their interest? And is it too late to get out a repaint wave, perhaps with some of those already-tooled variant figures like the Hoth Trooper, Imperial Scanning Crew, and Utai, perhaps some tooled but canceled Comic Pack figures, maybe even some kitbashes like Han Solo head on an Imperial body, to keep collectors interested during the break?

Vote now, and suggest new questions too. Thanks for participating!

JediTricks
12-04-2009, 12:52 AM
Yes he does. The 'skirt' is very stiff even with slits on the sides. Theres pretty much no give.

If I were to ask a question around this figure it'd go like this:

From fan reaction so far the new Farmboy Luke from the Resurgence of the Jedi pack is great but for some problems. Many have noted that the VOTC legs seem too short for this body. Theoretically if they were to be longer they should also be a little thicker to maintain balanced proportions. Others have complained that the 'skirt' prevents the figure from sitting down while a final complaint has been levelled at the elbow joints not being the most attractive because of the hinge*. However there is almost unanimous praise for the new headsculpt and the torso which are beautifully sculpted and painted. Could future farmboy lukes address these problems whilst also maintaining this particular head and this particular torso?*2Does anybody else feel the legs are out of proportion to this figure? The only pics I've seen of it look ok, and don't even look like the VOTC legs, so I'd like confirmation on this complaint before I turn it into a question.

*when the arm is bent the anglular hinge becomes visible, its a problem that more commonly affects the shoulders of certain figures probably dating back to VTSC X-wing Luke. For some reason known only to them Hasbro have been using hinges with ugly angles on them that jut out in an unattractive fashion when the arms are posed outwards from the body. See the new Bespin guard, the new cantina Saurin, DSII Luke, scramble on yavin technician etc. Not all figures have this problem so clearly its avoidable.You're talking about the flat-slant shoulder hinges? This is so they can have ball-hinge movement with a more realistic sculpted shoulder when at rest. We asked about that a while back IIRC, but I can't find the answer right now.

*2: I was going to add a part about them using the same headsculpt on X-wing Luke and Stormtrooper Luke in future but the new head is probably too big to also fit the helmets. However as long as this headsculpt becomes available outside of this battlepack customs will be possible for those who want to see this head on all ANH lukes.Well, let's see what a few other folks feel about this figure first, but I can see asking this stuff, just want to get a little more feedback about the legs and maybe shoulders.

bigbarada
12-04-2009, 01:02 AM
1, 7, 12, and 15 for now (before I forget to vote like I did last round).

Darth Marco
12-04-2009, 11:06 AM
My vote is for 4,5, and 15.

I do have a question.

Now that Hasbro confirmed that there will be no more comic packs in a regular SKU after spring 2010, and sold only as exclusives, will that include Nom Anor as well or will he be in the last wave of comic packs?

Devo
12-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Does anybody else feel the legs are out of proportion to this figure? The only pics I've seen of it look ok, and don't even look like the VOTC legs, so I'd like confirmation on this complaint before I turn it into a question.

You're talking about the flat-slant shoulder hinges? This is so they can have ball-hinge movement with a more realistic sculpted shoulder when at rest. We asked about that a while back IIRC, but I can't find the answer right now.

Well, let's see what a few other folks feel about this figure first, but I can see asking this stuff, just want to get a little more feedback about the legs and maybe shoulders.

Okeydokey. But I really don't like those shoulder hinges. I'd rather have the shoulders look normal in all positions than only when the arms are at rest at the figures sides. If thats what they said I really don't see their logic. Countless figures with normal balljoint shoulders have looked perfectly fine in the past.

Gothiczartan
12-05-2009, 01:51 AM
i have questions about the characters as extras that needed a figure treatment

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Aehrrley_Rue

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Teyora_Rekab

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rango_Tel

another question about a possible SA Jango Fett with a original jetpack (EVO pack Jango Fett with retooling to fit the first jetpack), I'm not sure it's already been answered.

RENDAR LIVES
12-05-2009, 04:29 PM
My vote is for 4,5, and 15.

I do have a question.

Now that Hasbro confirmed that there will be no more comic packs in a regular SKU after spring 2010, and sold only as exclusives, will that include Nom Anor as well or will he be in the last wave of comic packs?

Was he even stated as being released in a comic pack? I just assumed it was an EU wave along with the rumored Anakin Solo. He seemed pretty popular on the poll and they even had prototype images so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I vote for 4,5, 10 (even though they'd likely just go back to regular stands or hike up the price),12 and 14 so far.

Jt, can we ammend question #5? Since we know this comic pack has been canceled, can we ask if these figures will be released in some other avenue as well as where Zayne Carrick might fit in? He'd be a cool Evolutions set with Padawan, fugitive, and jedi versions. The comic series is ending too so that might nip it in the bud.

Also can we ask what is down the road for the force fx sabers or is that a "wait til after..." question? There are so many cool sabers that need to be made or like Anakin's AOTC saber that were never redone with the newer modifications.

RENDAR LIVES
12-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Okeydokey. But I really don't like those shoulder hinges. I'd rather have the shoulders look normal in all positions than only when the arms are at rest at the figures sides. If thats what they said I really don't see their logic. Countless figures with normal balljoint shoulders have looked perfectly fine in the past.

Exactly! Why have the articulation if you aren't going to pose it dynamicaly? So it can stand prone? Doesn't make sense. Also my TPM Obi can't hold his saber with 2 hands. This bothers me because the figure is supposed to be SA but has limited movement not to mention the innacurate pants color.

By the way. I have a modern Obi E1 lightsaber that is accurately painted but I have no clue wich figure it came with so I just stuck it with the new TPM Kenobi whose lightsaber is pretty blah. Anyone know what figure it actually came with?

Devo
12-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Well my point primarily was about the aesthetics of the joint. I don't quite understand why these angular hinges have come into favour - I never saw a problem with standard ball-joints in the shoulders except where they were needlessly oversized and/or not recessed enough into the torso. But these hinges look plain ugly in any position where the balljoint really comes into play such as raising the arm outwards. Sure it stays neutral to the sculpted arm when the arm is down by the sides or when you move it up and down but a simple swivel shoulder can achieve that movement and if it was just a swivel shoulder we wouldn't be worried about hinges.

Basically I think it needlessly complicates matters. If you're putting in ball-joint movement then just give us a normal balljoint to achieve it. They were fine, no need for some special hinge with a sculpted part. Its one benefit isn't worth the compromise of it looking hideously ugly in any position exclusively facilitated by a balljoint.

RENDAR LIVES
12-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Sounds a lot like the VOTC XW Luke. It's not as noticeable on his orange jump suit but then they did that awsome Tycho figure that seems pretty flush. I've wondered why they are so meticulous on some figures and not others but I'm betting the easy answer is that since they put out like 5 Lukes every year they just say,"lets not worry about it, we'll have ten more trys at this later in the year. Let's get to work on that A-wing pilot." Wich of course has less of a chance at getting redone ten times over.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-07-2009, 11:25 PM
I know we're asking a Bespin Guard question in the upcoming round, but still, new question:

*There's something a little off with the new Cloud City Wing Guard figure. To many collectors, it looks like he was sculpted with Caucasian features and was then painted to have darker skin. His wavy, parted hair is the most obvious clue, but his face is strange as well. Granted, it's still an update to a vintage figure, but we also don't have a white guard in the modern line (the awful one from the playset notwithstanding). Why was this done? Was it only late in the game that it was decided to make a black guard instead of a white one? Will we ever see this mold painted with light skin, or a version that looks more like Sgt. Edian?

For your own reference, JT, here (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/galleries/Review_SergeantEdian/images/Review_SergeantEdian04.jpg) is a picture. I guess they could say he's Indian or something, but it just looks damn weird.

Ando
12-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Numbers 6, 10, and 12 for now.

I will save my remaining votes in case a new question comes along that I would like to throw in my support.

Gothiczartan
12-09-2009, 04:27 PM
i got an question about a possible figures as build a figure like the senates and other back ground characters in star wars movies.

Gothiczartan
12-09-2009, 09:17 PM
I got question about these characters for a possible figures to be made in the future maybe as a exclusive online or other big events like comic con and star wars con.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lufta_Shif

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:AksMoe.jpg

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Graf_Zapalo

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:MotNotRab.jpg

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Hugo-eckener.jpg

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Argente

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hela_Brandes

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Denaria_Kee

clone157
12-09-2009, 09:17 PM
How about this question:
When will we see Battlefront packages for the OT factions? You guys can do 2 packs per faction with Hoth and Endor versions. These could be straight repacks with only one new figure: Female Rebel Sniper, but you could use existing Leia bodies with only a new head sculpt, and molded vests.
Also along these lines, could we see EPII era clones i.e. the first Battlefront as this would be a good tie-in with the Clone Wars?
6, 10, and 12 are my votes at this time.

Droid
12-09-2009, 09:27 PM
I got question about these characters for a possible figures to be made in the future maybe as a exclusive online or other big events like comic con and star wars con.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Denaria_Kee

They made Passel Argente, twice!

They are never going to make random people from the Queen's court on Theed! And definitely not after the way Breha tanked. Do you really want those figures? If you want a boring female character why not Jocasta Nu or Dorme or Corde or Queen Jamilla or the Episode III Queen or someone who can see in the movie without hitting pause?

Walks away shaking head...

El Chuxter
12-09-2009, 09:45 PM
They'd better make Lufta Shif!

/sarcasm

Gothiczartan
12-10-2009, 11:43 AM
They made Passel Argente, twice!

They are never going to make random people from the Queen's court on Theed! And definitely not after the way Breha tanked. Do you really want those figures? If you want a boring female character why not Jocasta Nu or Dorme or Corde or Queen Jamilla or the Episode III Queen or someone who can see in the movie without hitting pause?

Walks away shaking head...

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/swsaga/sw03ssGWR2passelfr.jpg

http://www.rebelscum.com/ROTS0561passel.asp

i found the links, thank you!

Darth Marco
12-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Maybe I am the only one that like the comic packs because it features new characters from Star Wars and it allows one to have a comic with two action figures. I feel with the comic packs being cancelled we will not have to much variety in the Star Wars collection from Hasbro. My question for them will be:

Now that the Comic Packs wave will be cancel in Spring of 2010 and Hasbro specifically stated in a Q&A that the comic packs slated for the Fall 2010 shown in SDCC are cancel; What will happen to those two comic packs Darth Nihl/Deliah Blue and Jariel/Rohlan, will they be exclusives in the future and how far off or will they never be release?

I just thought that with the bad economy not to many products were selling but the economy is picking up. I have bought mostly all new stuff from Hasbro and online from Hasbrotoyshop. Spending more now then I did the last 10 months of this year. Hope that Hasbro could recover and bring variety to it's Star Wars fans.

Old Fossil
12-11-2009, 08:25 PM
I know we're asking a Bespin Guard question in the upcoming round, but still, new question:

*There's something a little off with the new Cloud City Wing Guard figure. To many collectors, it looks like he was sculpted with Caucasian features and was then painted to have darker skin.

Like Clarence Gilyard, Jr.?

clone157
12-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Could we ask for clarification of the demise of the Comic 2-pack line? We all know that Wal-mart is the biggest buyer of toys in this country. Every time I go to a wally world all I see is their exclusive wave, so is that their metric for the success of this segment? Do they think that because their line is not moving, that none of the 2- packs will sell? Should Hasbro consider putting caps on the amount of a single wave sold, especially during exclusive waves and re-launches, to a particular reseller (specifically the largest reseller in the world)?

El Chuxter
12-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Okay, this is a bit specific, and it might seem odd coming from me (though it is one of the few AOTC figures I'd jump at the chance to get):

"Anakin Skywalker is the main character of the Star Wars saga, including the Clone Wars cartoon, and has been well-represented in his various looks throughout the series. However, the disguise he wears while traveling undercover to Naboo with Padme in AOTC (the 'Outlander Disguise' Anakin) has only been produced once, in 2002. In addition to being an outdated sculpt, the figure has an action feature (the 1970s-styled retractable lightsaber) that limits its poseability. Have you considered revisiting this particular outfit for Anakin (perhaps with an accompanying Padme released at the same time)?"

You could even mention Jake Lloyd Anakins, too, since it's been a while for them as well. Heck, if you can come up with a logical connection, it's been ages since we got a TPM Jar Jar, and longer since we got one who's not got his tongue permanently sticking out.

RENDAR LIVES
12-12-2009, 06:22 PM
How about this question:
When will we see Battlefront packages for the OT factions? You guys can do 2 packs per faction with Hoth and Endor versions. These could be straight repacks with only one new figure: Female Rebel Sniper, but you could use existing Leia bodies with only a new head sculpt, and molded vests.
Also along these lines, could we see EPII era clones i.e. the first Battlefront as this would be a good tie-in with the Clone Wars?
6, 10, and 12 are my votes at this time.

I'd love to see these sets as well. I know most of them are pretty much existing figures but the rebel sniper and smuggler as well as the AOTC green jet trooper would be sweet.

RENDAR LIVES
12-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Maybe I am the only one that like the comic packs because it features new characters from Star Wars and it allows one to have a comic with two action figures. I feel with the comic packs being cancelled we will not have to much variety in the Star Wars collection from Hasbro. My question for them will be:

Now that the Comic Packs wave will be cancel in Spring of 2010 and Hasbro specifically stated in a Q&A that the comic packs slated for the Fall 2010 shown in SDCC are cancel; What will happen to those two comic packs Darth Nihl/Deliah Blue and Jariel/Rohlan, will they be exclusives in the future and how far off or will they never be release?

I just thought that with the bad economy not to many products were selling but the economy is picking up. I have bought mostly all new stuff from Hasbro and online from Hasbrotoyshop. Spending more now then I did the last 10 months of this year. Hope that Hasbro could recover and bring variety to it's Star Wars fans.

I agree about the comic packs. That's all I've bought this years aside from Corran Horn and 5 random figures and vehicles. Not counting doubles since I'm a MIB and loose collector. It's not the money issue for me as much as being unsatisfied with the characters or representation of characters.

I did ask that we ammend the question about Zayne Carick since we know the comic packs are cancelled but we haven't heard from JT about it yet.

bigbarada
12-12-2009, 06:41 PM
I actually liked the comic packs because they made it so much easier to ignore the EU figures. :razz: Now that they are coming to an end, then we're going to end up with EU figures polluting the regular action figure line yet again. :upset:

RENDAR LIVES
12-12-2009, 08:35 PM
I actually liked the comic packs because they made it so much easier to ignore the EU figures. :razz: Now that they are coming to an end, then we're going to end up with EU figures polluting the regular action figure line yet again. :upset:

I feel you. I liked the comic packs for the same reason. I could ignore all the cantina aliens. :razz: They were going to "pollute" it anyways with the December wave that has been pushed back to February.

RENDAR LIVES
12-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Hasbro, isn't it about time we got an updated version of Artoo with Lukes lightsaber in the top from ROTJ? Just replace the scope from the OTC Hoth R2 with a lightsaber and make it fully removable and I'd buy it.:love:

JediTricks
12-15-2009, 06:54 AM
Questions 16 - 19 added.

Better vote soon, questions are due at the end of this week.

Does anybody else feel the legs are out of proportion to this figure? The only pics I've seen of it look ok, and don't even look like the VOTC legs, so I'd like confirmation on this complaint before I turn it into a question.I've seen another post about the legs, so I guess we'll go forward with this and hope the elbows are as bad as said. I'll count Devo's vote for it.

I do have a question.

Now that Hasbro confirmed that there will be no more comic packs in a regular SKU after spring 2010, and sold only as exclusives, will that include Nom Anor as well or will he be in the last wave of comic packs?Nom Anor is not part of the last comic packs, unfortunately. They are "Tholme/T'raa Saa, the Clones from Routine Valor, and the Black Hole Trooper."

Okeydokey. But I really don't like those shoulder hinges. I'd rather have the shoulders look normal in all positions than only when the arms are at rest at the figures sides. If thats what they said I really don't see their logic. Countless figures with normal balljoint shoulders have looked perfectly fine in the past.There are several problems with modern ball-hinge shoulders that are round like you say. The internal ones like those on VOTC Fett are more expensive to produce, stick out further, and have less range of motion. The external ones need to be part of fully round costumes's shoulders to not have that gap, and sometimes interfere with the proper deco. So without sticking out further, the only choice is to make the shoulder itself rounder which looks more like a toy and less like a SW character.

i have questions about the characters as extras that needed a figure treatment

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Aehrrley_Rue

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Teyora_Rekab

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rango_Tel

another question about a possible SA Jango Fett with a original jetpack (EVO pack Jango Fett with retooling to fit the first jetpack), I'm not sure it's already been answered.I don't really see the point to asking about those background guys over any others.

I don't understand the Jango question at all, Evo Jango is wearing his first jetpack, and I just tested it, it's a tight fit but he can wear the other one as well.

Was he even stated as being released in a comic pack? I just assumed it was an EU wave along with the rumored Anakin Solo. He seemed pretty popular on the poll and they even had prototype images so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.He was previously confirmed to be a comic pack figure for 2010, but is not part of the final sets so that release is on hiatus.

Jt, can we ammend question #5? Since we know this comic pack has been canceled, can we ask if these figures will be released in some other avenue as well as where Zayne Carrick might fit in? He'd be a cool Evolutions set with Padawan, fugitive, and jedi versions. The comic series is ending too so that might nip it in the bud.Since we just got news that they're still working on what they'll do with those figures, and Zayne was asked and answered in the previous round, I'm not ready to go down that path yet. Here's the Zayne answer, from Nov 16:
SWcollector.com: I'm wondering if you could give us an idea of how you will be handling future EU figure releases. As you have indicated, the comic pack line is not selling as well as it once was and may not continue beyond 2010. Would all EU characters need to find their way into a coveted slot in an EU wave in the basic line, or are there other possibilities that you could see working to keep a steady flow of all new EU figures in the mix? As you know, there are still many prominent characters out there that have not been honored with a figure, like Zayne Carrick & Marn "Gryph" Hierogryph (KOTOR), Finn Galfridian and Jedi Master Luke Skywalker (Invasion), Dass Jennir (Dark Times), and Celeste Morne (Vector). Most of these are still at the height of their popularity. Without comic packs, would these characters become long shots to ever be included in the basic line, or do you think you could find a way to fit them in somewhere else?
Hasbro: We can confirm that the Comic Pack, as a mainline SKU, will not continue past Spring 2010 at this point. There are select Comic Packs slated for exclusives, though, so the format is not completely dead. Beyond the Comic Packs, occasional exclusives are the only hope for EU figures until they find their way back into the mainline. After the last wave of Legacy/Droid Factory, set for approximately February, there are no more EU figures slotted for the mainline basic figure wave until Fall 2011, at the earliest. It will be a bit of dry spell while we focus on the films for a while, but there will be some excellent exclusives coming out (like the Toys 'R Us The Force Unleashed packs) that should held cover the gap. Some of the characters you mention, like Zayne, do stand a chance of coming out someday. Others, like Celeste Mourne, are unlikely ever to get made without a comic book to go with them. Hopefully Finn (and the rest of the new Jedi Order) are around for when we do get a chance to either relaunch Comic Packs or add more focus to the EU.
And another from March 20th:
JediNews.co.uk: First of all, it was really good to see a Yuuzhan Vong figure revealed at Toy Fair. Does Hasbro plan to release any further EU figures from New Jedi Order such as Jacen and Jaina. Also, are there any plans for a Zayne Carrick figure either as a Comic Pack or Legacy Basic figure release?
Hasbro: Yes, there are plans for Jacen and Jaina at some point. As for Zayne, there are no plans right now. His was the very last pack cut from the list before we nailed down the 2010 line plan. He is a strong possibility for a 2011 comic pack, however.

Also can we ask what is down the road for the force fx sabers or is that a "wait til after..." question? There are so many cool sabers that need to be made or like Anakin's AOTC saber that were never redone with the newer modifications.I'd really rather wait until after Toy Fair. I'm actually afraid the line won't continue beyond Asajj and I'd hate to confirm it at this point, but either way, they're going to be very tight lipped for the next 2 months about new product.

Exactly! Why have the articulation if you aren't going to pose it dynamicaly? So it can stand prone? Doesn't make sense. Also my TPM Obi can't hold his saber with 2 hands. This bothers me because the figure is supposed to be SA but has limited movement not to mention the innacurate pants color.I haven't tried to pose this figure 2-handed, I got a little frustrated with several TPM elements going to the AOTC figure, but how far apart are they when you try? What seems to be blocking it?

How are the pants the wrong color any more than the rest of the figure? I'm not seeing it compared to this: http://padawansguide.com/obiwan1.shtml

*There's something a little off with the new Cloud City Wing Guard figure. To many collectors, it looks like he was sculpted with Caucasian features and was then painted to have darker skin. His wavy, parted hair is the most obvious clue, but his face is strange as well. Granted, it's still an update to a vintage figure, but we also don't have a white guard in the modern line (the awful one from the playset notwithstanding). Why was this done? Was it only late in the game that it was decided to make a black guard instead of a white one? Will we ever see this mold painted with light skin, or a version that looks more like Sgt. Edian?

For your own reference, JT, here (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/galleries/Review_SergeantEdian/images/Review_SergeantEdian04.jpg) is a picture. I guess they could say he's Indian or something, but it just looks damn weird.I have the figure, I know what you mean. I'll add the question, count your vote.

i got an question about a possible figures as build a figure like the senates and other back ground characters in star wars movies.They've already said no to that kind of build-a-figure, and in fact are dropping the concept altogether.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Denaria_KeeThat's some random and very specific stuff, I'm not going to ask it right now.

How about this question:
6, 10, and 12 are my votes at this time.I want to add this, but those Battlefront sets didn't sell well and there's a lot of ideas, I fear it'll get clobbered. I'll add it anyway and count your vote for it.

They'd better make Lufta Shif!

/sarcasmBe nice, if they made her, they'd literally make ANYBODY because hell would have frozen over. :p

I just thought that with the bad economy not to many products were selling but the economy is picking up. I have bought mostly all new stuff from Hasbro and online from Hasbrotoyshop. Spending more now then I did the last 10 months of this year. Hope that Hasbro could recover and bring variety to it's Star Wars fans.Comic Packs sales have been down for a while, so it's not just the economy. Anyway, that stuff has been asked about and are still in the "we're working on trying to get those figures out" stage.

Like Clarence Gilyard, Jr.?Careful, he's Chuck Norris' black friend. ;)

Could we ask for clarification of the demise of the Comic 2-pack line? We all know that Wal-mart is the biggest buyer of toys in this country. Every time I go to a wally world all I see is their exclusive wave, so is that their metric for the success of this segment? Do they think that because their line is not moving, that none of the 2- packs will sell? Should Hasbro consider putting caps on the amount of a single wave sold, especially during exclusive waves and re-launches, to a particular reseller (specifically the largest reseller in the world)?This line has been slow since the beginning of '08 at Target and WM, ever since the price increase and big pause in the whole line that caused folks to walk away. I just don't see the point in asking for more details, it didn't sell well, there are a lot of factors as to why. I'd rather wait a little longer until Hasbro has better picked up the pieces. They've answered a lot of questions about this now, I don't think they'll tell us anything different at this point.

Okay, this is a bit specific, and it might seem odd coming from me (though it is one of the few AOTC figures I'd jump at the chance to get):

"Anakin Skywalker is the main character of the Star Wars saga, including the Clone Wars cartoon, and has been well-represented in his various looks throughout the series. However, the disguise he wears while traveling undercover to Naboo with Padme in AOTC (the 'Outlander Disguise' Anakin) has only been produced once, in 2002. In addition to being an outdated sculpt, the figure has an action feature (the 1970s-styled retractable lightsaber) that limits its poseability. Have you considered revisiting this particular outfit for Anakin (perhaps with an accompanying Padme released at the same time)?"

You could even mention Jake Lloyd Anakins, too, since it's been a while for them as well. Heck, if you can come up with a logical connection, it's been ages since we got a TPM Jar Jar, and longer since we got one who's not got his tongue permanently sticking out.It's pretty specific, I don't want to go down that path right now unless it's a really major need. For this particular one, I'd want a little more convincing argument as to why this one, it doesn't feel very necessary when the line is in the state it is in, it's not an action costume at all (despite what the '02 figure would have us believe).

I'd love to see these sets as well. I know most of them are pretty much existing figures but the rebel sniper and smuggler as well as the AOTC green jet trooper would be sweet.Smuggler, good call, I'll add that. I didn't count your vote for this question yet, LMK if you want to, it seems like it but I don't want to assume.

Hasbro, isn't it about time we got an updated version of Artoo with Lukes lightsaber in the top from ROTJ? Just replace the scope from the OTC Hoth R2 with a lightsaber and make it fully removable and I'd buy it.:love:Oh man, you're killing me, that is one of my pet peeves. It couldn't go in the spot you mention though, as it comes out of the panel above and to the left of the radar eye, which is at the front. I've crafted a new question, but since you only have 1 vote left, you'll have to tell me what you'd like to use it for.

El Chuxter
12-15-2009, 09:04 AM
You don't reckon a new Anakin in a different costume over constantly tweaking the "human Vader" Anakin is enough?

I did see where they said last week that they wouldn't re-do kid Anakin, since the sculpts were all so good, which was a WTF moment. They're good, but are they 2009 standards when they actually re-did the AT-AT Driver (last produced four years after the last TPM Anakin... hmmm, that could be a question in itself)?

sebillba
12-15-2009, 10:33 AM
I'll vote for Q16, but is there any chance you could work in another gripe with this Luke figure? I've waited years for a SA farmboy, and we finally get one, with a great sculpt, but they've gone and killed it by painting his face in flesh tones. I've mentioned this numerous times before, but it's my absolute pet hate in action figures - it detracts from sculpt detail, it's often applied sloppily or unevenly, it's prone to chipping and scuffing, and generally looks cheap. I could've overlooked the other faults in articulation, but this has caused this figure to be the disappointment of the year for me - I would've picked up extras if it'd had a molded head, but as it is, I'll stick with just the one, and will probably end up swapping it with an older head of a lesser sculpt.

I know they'll say it's down to costs, but it's only recently this practice is starting to creep into production on regular heads (it's always been the case if the head is predominantly covered with a hood, cowl, etc), and it will stop me from buying "upgrades" if it continues. I'm not expecting them to change this figure, but if they do revisit it to improve the small legs/ugly elbows, I'm loathe to send them the message that the head is now perfect as it is, and to keep re-using it.

Cane_Adiss
12-15-2009, 11:10 AM
My votes for this round:

1, 3, 7, 16, 17, 19

Devo
12-15-2009, 01:39 PM
I'll vote for Q16, but is there any chance you could work in another gripe with this Luke figure? I've waited years for a SA farmboy, and we finally get one, with a great sculpt, but they've gone and killed it by painting his face in flesh tones. I've mentioned this numerous times before, but it's my absolute pet hate in action figures - it detracts from sculpt detail, it's often applied sloppily or unevenly, it's prone to chipping and scuffing, and generally looks cheap. I could've overlooked the other faults in articulation, but this has caused this figure to be the disappointment of the year for me - I would've picked up extras if it'd had a molded head, but as it is, I'll stick with just the one, and will probably end up swapping it with an older head of a lesser sculpt.

I know they'll say it's down to costs, but it's only recently this practice is starting to creep into production on regular heads (it's always been the case if the head is predominantly covered with a hood, cowl, etc), and it will stop me from buying "upgrades" if it continues. I'm not expecting them to change this figure, but if they do revisit it to improve the small legs/ugly elbows, I'm loathe to send them the message that the head is now perfect as it is, and to keep re-using it.

Hmm, I must have misunderstood you in the other thread, I didn't think the face was painted in flesh tones due to the fact that his hair is obviously a painted element since you can see underneath it is still in flesh tone - thus I assumed the whole thing is originally flesh tone. How can you tell its painted? I have to say I don't see a problem with this Luke's head at all, I think its got the most crisp appearance of any Luke we've gotten, even if it is as you say painted skin.

And JT about the elbows - they're not something that particularly bother me on this one, I mentioned them because I know of at least one person on RS who thinks they're hideous and if there was to be a question about this figure I thought it best to cover every complaint. Goes to show how subjective the topic is. My gripe with the figure is the legs, too short, too thin, and the added hip movement for the legs doesn't work very well. The legs are either too close together at rest or they're too far apart, theres no in-between.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-15-2009, 02:23 PM
After my vote for 17, I'll go with 4, 9, 15, 18, and 19.

How about another question as well:
*In a recent Q&A round, it was revealed that the Spring 2010 EU wave will be the only group of realistic figures until the Fall. Now, we have seen gaps in the line before - most recently in the break between the Force Unleashed wave in Spring 2008 and the ROTJ and Clone Wars micro-series waves in July 2008 - but this news has many collectors worried. With the line apparently in poor shape, is it the wisest idea to put it on hiatus for several months next year? Granted, we'll still have The Clone Wars figures to look forward to, but such a pause might cause several film-based collectors to walk away and permanently kill the line. As far as collectors who have pulled back on their purchases, you stated recently that, "We are working hard to get them back, and we think that what we have lined up next year will be our best attempt." Without getting into too many specifics, since we know full details will be revealed at Toy Fair, can collectors look forward to some film-based goodness in other lines while the basic line is on hiatus? And is it too late to push out a repaint wave, perhaps with some of those already-tooled variant figures like the Hoth Trooper, Imperial Scanning Crew, and Utai, to keep collectors interested during the break?

El Chuxter
12-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Very good question, JJL; much better than my stab at it. I don't want to mess with perfection, but should we mention the already-produced tooling for the now cancelled comic packs?

Or maybe slapping Han Solo's head on some sort of Imperial body, be it an officer or TIE Pilot? :D (Yeah, we could all do it ourselves, but it requires buying two figures. If Hasbro does it, it only requires one.)

Neuroleptic
12-15-2009, 02:26 PM
I vote for question 12 and 19.

Especialy 19. I still have the original 1984 R2-D2 saber launching figure and would absolutly LOVE a re-do of this figure just because I liked that one so much as a kid. The only one done in the modern line was so bad that I passed on it. I'd like to see it done properly. Wouldn't mind if it was just the hilt that was placed inside a compartment in the head or something. Would not have to launch as far as I'm concerened.

It is also, as the question says, perhaps his coolest moments since 1977.

sebillba
12-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Hmm, I must have misunderstood you in the other thread, I didn't think the face was painted in flesh tones due to the fact that his hair is obviously a painted element since you can see underneath it is still in flesh tone - thus I assumed the whole thing is originally flesh tone. How can you tell its painted? I have to say I don't see a problem with this Luke's head at all, I think its got the most crisp appearance of any Luke we've gotten, even if it is as you say painted skin.

I must admit, I've only been allowed a peek at the figure in the package (it's now under the Christmas tree), but it certainly looked to me like painted skin, and my partner agreed. I can just tell by the finish, it looks like paint not plastic. There's a nice comparison photo on RS, standing next to VOTC Luke - it can be seen about 2/3rds of the way down this page (http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3836948&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=6&vc=1). It is undeniably a superior head in sculpt and painted features, but it still looks like a painted finish to me - I probably notice more since it's such a pet peeve of mine. I've also seen comments about the back (inside) of his mullet being painted with skin tone, as can be seen in the pic, rather than being the plastic showing through.

I guess I won't know for absolute sure until I can actually hold it in my hands, but that will probably be too late for this question. The best way to find out is to pop off his head, which would reveal the unpainted plastic inside.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Very good question, JJL; much better than my stab at it. I don't want to mess with perfection, but should we mention the already-produced tooling for the now cancelled comic packs?

Or maybe slapping Han Solo's head on some sort of Imperial body, be it an officer or TIE Pilot? :D (Yeah, we could all do it ourselves, but it requires buying two figures. If Hasbro does it, it only requires one.)
I think they're still trying to figure out what to do with those comic pack figures, but I suppose it couldn't hurt:

*In a recent Q&A round, it was revealed that the Spring 2010 EU wave will be the only group of realistic figures until the Fall. Now, we have seen gaps in the line before - most recently in the break between the Force Unleashed wave in Spring 2008 and the ROTJ and Clone Wars micro-series waves in July 2008 - but this news has many collectors worried. With the line apparently in poor shape, is it the wisest idea to put it on hiatus for several months next year? Granted, we'll still have The Clone Wars figures to look forward to, but such a pause might cause several film-based collectors to walk away and permanently kill the line. As far as collectors who have pulled back on their purchases, you stated recently that, "We are working hard to get them back, and we think that what we have lined up next year will be our best attempt." Without getting into too many specifics, since we know full details will be revealed at Toy Fair, can collectors look forward to some film-based goodness in other lines while the basic line is on hiatus? And is it too late to push out a repaint wave like we've seen before, perhaps with some of those already-tooled variant figures like the Hoth Trooper, Imperial Scanning Crew, and Utai, or the canceled comic pack figures, to keep collectors interested during the break?

El Chuxter
12-15-2009, 03:00 PM
One extremely minor stylistic change:

*In a recent Q&A round, it was revealed that the Spring 2010 EU wave will be the only group of realistic figures until the Fall. Now, we have seen gaps in the line before - most recently in the break between the Force Unleashed wave in Spring 2008 and the ROTJ and Clone Wars micro-series waves in July 2008 - but this news has many collectors worried. With the line apparently in poor shape, is it the wisest idea to put it on hiatus for several months next year? Granted, we'll still have The Clone Wars figures to look forward to, but such a pause might cause several film-based collectors to walk away and permanently kill the line. As far as collectors who have pulled back on their purchases, you stated recently that, "We are working hard to get them back, and we think that what we have lined up next year will be our best attempt." Without getting into too many specifics, since we know full details will be revealed at Toy Fair, can collectors look forward to some film-based goodness in other lines while the basic line is on hiatus? And is it too late to push out a repaint wave like we've seen before, perhaps with some of those already-tooled variant figures like the Hoth Trooper, Imperial Scanning Crew, and Utai, or the canceled comic pack figures, to keep collectors interested during the break?

Like I said, very minor, but now it'll be more acceptable to Reuters or the AP. Being such an awesome question, they may want to run a story on it. :D

Obsession is Nute
12-15-2009, 08:27 PM
3, 4 and 18 for me, please. I also really want JabbaJohn's question, too.

I have no idea what the Hell is going on at Hasbro, but these breaks in the Legacy/movie waves are becoming increasingly ridiculous. Have they ever given us an explaination on this that I have missed? How can you make money when you have nothing to sell for 3/4's of a year? Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but between ROTS and TAC, I don't recall these massive breaks, things were steady. What happened?!?

Gothiczartan
12-15-2009, 09:51 PM
I don't understand the Jango question at all, Evo Jango is wearing his first jetpack, and I just tested it, it's a tight fit but he can wear the other one as well.

that was the second jetpack had on. the first jetpack one got destroyed during the battle with obi-wan. I was thinking for a repack of evo jango fett with a retooled jetpack to fit. he can have two jetpacks. the evo sets with jango should of have two jetpacks in a first place, all he got is the second jetpack.

RENDAR LIVES
12-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Questions 16 - 19 added.

Nom Anor is not part of the last comic packs, unfortunately. They are "Tholme/T'raa Saa, the Clones from Routine Valor, and the Black Hole Trooper."

He was previously confirmed to be a comic pack figure for 2010, but is not part of the final sets so that release is on hiatus.

I haven't tried to pose this figure 2-handed, I got a little frustrated with several TPM elements going to the AOTC figure, but how far apart are they when you try? What seems to be blocking it?

How are the pants the wrong color any more than the rest of the figure? I'm not seeing it compared to this: http://padawansguide.com/obiwan1.shtml

I want to add this, but those Battlefront sets didn't sell well and there's a lot of ideas, I fear it'll get clobbered. I'll add it anyway and count your vote for it.

Smuggler, good call, I'll add that. I didn't count your vote for this question yet, LMK if you want to, it seems like it but I don't want to assume.

Oh man, you're killing me, that is one of my pet peeves. It couldn't go in the spot you mention though, as it comes out of the panel above and to the left of the radar eye, which is at the front. I've crafted a new question, but since you only have 1 vote left, you'll have to tell me what you'd like to use it for.

Hey! Isn't the Ulic and Exar comic pack in that last wave too? For the love of God, please say yes!

That sucks!

I'm not sure if it's the way it's molded or if the arms are just too short. They just won't come together. Even the Saga Black Kenobi could manage a two handed hold at an angle and my Sandstorm Luke can hold it straight up in a two-handed salute. The pants are a very definitive gray instead of matching the white tunic as in the movie and on previous figures.

They could easily use green clones and Kamino Jango jetpacks so this would be an easy set to push considering all Hasbro does is recycle figures these days and those to come(come to think of it I can make my own with some paint and a drill). Also this would go for Leia as mentioned in the question.

I guess I wouldn't nit pick that much about the positioning but might as well do it right. I would prefer not to have an actual shooting action for the figure. A simple telescoping lightsaber hilt would be enough but having it be removable would be even better. It's just that FB missile one was so awful!

Since number 5 was removed, doesn't that mean I have 2 votes left? 4,10,12,14, 18, and 19.

RENDAR LIVES
12-16-2009, 07:27 PM
SWcollector.com: I'm wondering if you could give us an idea of how you will be handling future EU figure releases. As you have indicated, the comic pack line is not selling as well as it once was and may not continue beyond 2010. Would all EU characters need to find their way into a coveted slot in an EU wave in the basic line, or are there other possibilities that you could see working to keep a steady flow of all new EU figures in the mix? As you know, there are still many prominent characters out there that have not been honored with a figure, like Zayne Carrick & Marn "Gryph" Hierogryph (KOTOR), Finn Galfridian and Jedi Master Luke Skywalker (Invasion), Dass Jennir (Dark Times), and Celeste Morne (Vector). Most of these are still at the height of their popularity. Without comic packs, would these characters become long shots to ever be included in the basic line, or do you think you could find a way to fit them in somewhere else?
Hasbro: We can confirm that the Comic Pack, as a mainline SKU, will not continue past Spring 2010 at this point. There are select Comic Packs slated for exclusives, though, so the format is not completely dead. Beyond the Comic Packs, occasional exclusives are the only hope for EU figures until they find their way back into the mainline. After the last wave of Legacy/Droid Factory, set for approximately February, there are no more EU figures slotted for the mainline basic figure wave until Fall 2011, at the earliest. It will be a bit of dry spell while we focus on the films for a while, but there will be some excellent exclusives coming out (like the Toys 'R Us The Force Unleashed packs) that should held cover the gap. Some of the characters you mention, like Zayne, do stand a chance of coming out someday. Others, like Celeste Mourne, are unlikely ever to get made without a comic book to go with them. Hopefully Finn (and the rest of the new Jedi Order) are around for when we do get a chance to either relaunch Comic Packs or add more focus to the EU.

I guess I will have a whole year to save money or invest in other things. I'm not limited to EU but outside of Lando & Wicket what more do I really need from the movies that hasn't been done? As far as this collector goes Hasbro is losing my money because there really isn't anything fresh or new. As far as troop builders go I really am not as picky about all the clones with removable helmets and I agree with the feelings about the AT-AT Driver. It's too soon and he drives the vehicle. he's not a dynamic characterand even if you use him as one it's just a drone.

Devo
12-16-2009, 08:05 PM
I'll also vote for 9, 14, 15, 17 and 19.

And I'll add that my god do we have a superior Q&A system in place here than RS. I don't know how they make heads nor tails of it over there. Its all one thread and people are allowed to keep adding questions while using it as a discussion thread and all the mod has to go on for actual votes is when someone says 'seconded' in referance to a particular question. How he manages to find these and the original questions in amongst everything else is a wonder.

morpheus282
12-16-2009, 10:09 PM
13 and 19.

Those stickers on the white background just irked me. It's about time we got a new saber launching R2.

JediTricks
12-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Question 20 added.

This is the last day to vote in this round.

You don't reckon a new Anakin in a different costume over constantly tweaking the "human Vader" Anakin is enough?It's not a stand-out costume, all he does in it is walk and eat soup - by that criteria, there would be action figures of half the old folks at my grandmother's retirement home. It's not that I don't think it should be made at some point, it just doesn't seem like a specific need great enough to ask a question upon right now. It's got no juice, no conversation out there yet. So get that going, or come up with other figs to go with it that feel necessary as well.

I did see where they said last week that they wouldn't re-do kid Anakin, since the sculpts were all so good, which was a WTF moment. They're good, but are they 2009 standards when they actually re-did the AT-AT Driver (last produced four years after the last TPM Anakin... hmmm, that could be a question in itself)?I guess that answer weighted against on how much demand there is for KidAni figs these days. Remember, that was one of the original pegwarmers of '99, black vs blue backpack variants didn't save it.

I know they'll say it's down to costs, but it's only recently this practice is starting to creep into production on regular heads (it's always been the case if the head is predominantly covered with a hood, cowl, etc), and it will stop me from buying "upgrades" if it continues. I'm not expecting them to change this figure, but if they do revisit it to improve the small legs/ugly elbows, I'm loathe to send them the message that the head is now perfect as it is, and to keep re-using it.I haven't seen this fig, so I've been going by comments and limited photos out there and this is the first I've heard on it. I see you guys continued discussing it, so let me respond there. But if we're taking this figure down yet another peg, I think I may have to cut the question as there'd be NOTHING about it that holds up.

Also, could you list a few other examples of painted heads on non-cowled figures from the last few years? I can't think of any. Could make a good question if you can convince me of the issue.

Hmm, I must have misunderstood you in the other thread, I didn't think the face was painted in flesh tones due to the fact that his hair is obviously a painted element since you can see underneath it is still in flesh tone - thus I assumed the whole thing is originally flesh tone. How can you tell its painted? I have to say I don't see a problem with this Luke's head at all, I think its got the most crisp appearance of any Luke we've gotten, even if it is as you say painted skin.Hmm, interesting.

And JT about the elbows - they're not something that particularly bother me on this one, I mentioned them because I know of at least one person on RS who thinks they're hideous and if there was to be a question about this figure I thought it best to cover every complaint. Goes to show how subjective the topic is. My gripe with the figure is the legs, too short, too thin, and the added hip movement for the legs doesn't work very well. The legs are either too close together at rest or they're too far apart, theres no in-between.Thanks for letting me know. I'm tempted to cut that entirely as I feel like we've dumped on that figure so much there's nothing left now, and that part of the question didn't really come from someone I could discuss it with to get a better understanding, but Sebillba seems to dislike them so I'm leaving it for now.

I must admit, I've only been allowed a peek at the figure in the package (it's now under the Christmas tree), but it certainly looked to me like painted skin, and my partner agreed. I can just tell by the finish, it looks like paint not plastic. There's a nice comparison photo on RS, standing next to VOTC Luke - it can be seen about 2/3rds of the way down this page (http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3836948&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=6&vc=1). It is undeniably a superior head in sculpt and painted features, but it still looks like a painted finish to me - I probably notice more since it's such a pet peeve of mine. I've also seen comments about the back (inside) of his mullet being painted with skin tone, as can be seen in the pic, rather than being the plastic showing through.

I guess I won't know for absolute sure until I can actually hold it in my hands, but that will probably be too late for this question. The best way to find out is to pop off his head, which would reveal the unpainted plastic inside.Oh, you haven't seen one in person. Ok, I'm pulling the elbow aspect.

I see what you mean, but if you look at page 9 in that thread, the larger pic, the face looks plastic, the hair behind it is cast in it even.

How about another question as well:
*In a recent Q&A round, it was revealed that the Spring 2010 EU wave will be the only group of realistic figures until the Fall. Now, we have seen gaps in the line before - most recently in the break between the Force Unleashed wave in Spring 2008 and the ROTJ and Clone Wars micro-series waves in July 2008 - but this news has many collectors worried. With the line apparently in poor shape, is it the wisest idea to put it on hiatus for several months next year? Granted, we'll still have The Clone Wars figures to look forward to, but such a pause might cause several film-based collectors to walk away and permanently kill the line. As far as collectors who have pulled back on their purchases, you stated recently that, "We are working hard to get them back, and we think that what we have lined up next year will be our best attempt." Without getting into too many specifics, since we know full details will be revealed at Toy Fair, can collectors look forward to some film-based goodness in other lines while the basic line is on hiatus? And is it too late to push out a repaint wave, perhaps with some of those already-tooled variant figures like the Hoth Trooper, Imperial Scanning Crew, and Utai, to keep collectors interested during the break?It's a good point, but I don't even know what to make of this "can collectors look forward to some film-based goodness in other lines while the basic line is on hiatus?" What other lines? Saga Legends & Clone Wars? Marvel? Transformers? I will reword that a little and add it.

Or maybe slapping Han Solo's head on some sort of Imperial body, be it an officer or TIE Pilot? :D (Yeah, we could all do it ourselves, but it requires buying two figures. If Hasbro does it, it only requires one.)I like the idea of adding the comic packs to the mix. I'll throw in that Han Imp body too but it may get cut, the question is fat.

I have no idea what the Hell is going on at Hasbro, but these breaks in the Legacy/movie waves are becoming increasingly ridiculous. Have they ever given us an explaination on this that I have missed? How can you make money when you have nothing to sell for 3/4's of a year? Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but between ROTS and TAC, I don't recall these massive breaks, things were steady. What happened?!?Indiana Jones happened.

that was the second jetpack had on. the first jetpack one got destroyed during the battle with obi-wan. I was thinking for a repack of evo jango fett with a retooled jetpack to fit. he can have two jetpacks. the evo sets with jango should of have two jetpacks in a first place, all he got is the second jetpack.Yeah, the other jetpack is the Boba jetpack, that's the one I said fits on Jango with a tight fit. I tried that set's Boba pack, and the blue paint one from the preview Jango figure, both had the same peg.

Hey! Isn't the Ulic and Exar comic pack in that last wave too? For the love of God, please say yes!"Yes." From this round:
Sandtroopers.com: You have basically said on several sites that the comic packs are not meeting sales expectations. my question is how will this affect the throm and exar kun wave and the walmart exclusive wave? will these still be released this year?
Hasbro: Right now the last wave of five packs (including the Exar Kun/Ulic Quel Droma pack) is pushed out to Spring 2010, and we don't expect that it will be out until March at this point. The Spring 2010 packs (including the ones shown at Comic Con) are cancelled, while the Wal-Mart exclusives have been delayed; they are likely to make it out but we don't know when.

I'm not sure if it's the way it's molded or if the arms are just too short. They just won't come together. Even the Saga Black Kenobi could manage a two handed hold at an angle and my Sandstorm Luke can hold it straight up in a two-handed salute. The pants are a very definitive gray instead of matching the white tunic as in the movie and on previous figures.You made me dig that figure out and put it in a 2-handed pose:
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa158/JediTricks/img1261084192973.jpg
The thing is, the elbows bend all the way to 90 degrees but they don't feel like they want to. The costume design limits how much you can move the arms in so it's not a straight-armed pose, but the elbows have more range to cover the close-armed pose.

The color of the tunic is off in the figure, and the pants are slightly off-color to the tunic in the film costume (see my source again), so I think the gray matches how the figure is off.

Since number 5 was removed, doesn't that mean I have 2 votes left? 4,10,12,14, 18, and 19. Question 5 hasn't been removed, just not amended. I'll pull your 5 vote though if you like.

And I'll add that my god do we have a superior Q&A system in place here than RS. I don't know how they make heads nor tails of it over there. Its all one thread and people are allowed to keep adding questions while using it as a discussion thread and all the mod has to go on for actual votes is when someone says 'seconded' in referance to a particular question. How he manages to find these and the original questions in amongst everything else is a wonder.Really glad to hear it, thanks. I had ours somewhat loose like that in round 1 and I realized it wasn't going to be democratic enough, there was too much getting lost in the din, so I created this system based on what seemed to work for both my needs as editor and the forumites needs. I actually still have all the votes from every round too just in case I ever get a federal judge to issue a recount I guess. ;)

Ack, I still have to vote when I get back!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-17-2009, 04:51 PM
It's a good point, but I don't even know what to make of this "can collectors look forward to some film-based goodness in other lines while the basic line is on hiatus?" What other lines? Saga Legends & Clone Wars? Marvel? Transformers? I will reword that a little and add it.
By "other lines", I meant battle packs, vehicles, and exclusives. I know the battle packs are already going to more of a kiddie focus, but still, even with that we're getting the Resurgence of the Jedi set so there could be more sets like that, which are good for both audiences. But your version of that part makes more sense.

bigbarada
12-17-2009, 05:19 PM
I'll add in a vote for #20.

El Chuxter
12-17-2009, 05:21 PM
JT, though it wouldn't make the cut this time, would it help if I added other "if you've got to keep making this character, could you consider this costume" possibilities? I'd just be concerned about it becoming a laundry list.

sebillba
12-17-2009, 06:08 PM
Also, could you list a few other examples of painted heads on non-cowled figures from the last few years? I can't think of any. Could make a good question if you can convince me of the issue.

I need to look at my figures in daylight to come up with more examples, but off the top of my head, Evo Jango (http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/TAC/TACfettlegacyJF13.jpg)was a main offender - his head was cast in purple!! It looks like this continued with the Geonosis Arena (http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/TLC/Arena/1-Coleman_Jango/LC-918.jpg)version.

I was thinking Ilium Padme (http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/TLC/Basic/12Padme/TLC-832.jpg)was another, but looking again, I see she has a cowl, so I guess doesn't count, though the cowl doesn't really cover her face any more than hair would.

This one (http://www.yakface.com/TGuide2004/ActionFigures/TLC/exclusives/jokersquad/lf48.html) from the Joker Squad was brought to my attention recently when voting in Jaff's Best/Worst poll.

Most figures with long hair are molded in the hair colour, with the face painted on, which I guess makes sense when the hair is the bulk of the plastic, but it can still look terrible - the worst example being this Mara Jade (http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/TAC/TACcomic10maraHDfr.jpg).

I'll try and come up with more over the weekend.

For now, I'll also vote for 12, 17 and 20. Thanks!

JediTricks
12-17-2009, 10:20 PM
I'm going to wrap up voting in about an hour.

Here are my votes:

20 break
19 ll r2
18 bf
17 whitey
2 TS
1 SSC

By "other lines", I meant battle packs, vehicles, and exclusives. I know the battle packs are already going to more of a kiddie focus, but still, even with that we're getting the Resurgence of the Jedi set so there could be more sets like that, which are good for both audiences. But your version of that part makes more sense.Ah, I see what you mean. That's all part of the Legacy line, they are more like subsets I guess. Anyway, I figured we would just leave it vague and they could fill in the details as to the where/how. Glad to see you feel it works.

JT, though it wouldn't make the cut this time, would it help if I added other "if you've got to keep making this character, could you consider this costume" possibilities? I'd just be concerned about it becoming a laundry list.That is 1 choice, another would be to a list threaded based by some level of commonality like by movie or even scene, helps support the original conclusion we're drawing by surrounding it with other, similar needs as well as a continuity for this new figure to go in.

I need to look at my figures in daylight to come up with more examples, but off the top of my head, Evo Jango (http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/TAC/TACfettlegacyJF13.jpg)was a main offender - his head was cast in purple!! It looks like this continued with the Geonosis Arena (http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/TLC/Arena/1-Coleman_Jango/LC-918.jpg)version.

I was thinking Ilium Padme (http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/TLC/Basic/12Padme/TLC-832.jpg)was another, but looking again, I see she has a cowl, so I guess doesn't count, though the cowl doesn't really cover her face any more than hair would.

This one (http://www.yakface.com/TGuide2004/ActionFigures/TLC/exclusives/jokersquad/lf48.html) from the Joker Squad was brought to my attention recently when voting in Jaff's Best/Worst poll.

Most figures with long hair are molded in the hair colour, with the face painted on, which I guess makes sense when the hair is the bulk of the plastic, but it can still look terrible - the worst example being this Mara Jade (http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/TAC/TACcomic10maraHDfr.jpg).

I'll try and come up with more over the weekend.I think I'd need more main line examples to make a case that it's a common problem. Unfortunately, the multi-figure sets often do have to shave budgets, that Mara one drove me nuts, but even in those sorts of things there aren't that many. LMK what else you come up with.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Go ahead and switch my vote from 9 to 20, if there's still time.

JediTricks
12-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Go ahead and switch my vote from 9 to 20, if there's still time.You got it, and I think that got the question into the top 6.

- -

Well, that's it for this round. Thanks to everybody who participated!

Here are the questions we are asking this round:

From SirStevesGuide.com:
1) Lightsaber Launching R2-D2, one of the little guy's coolest moments. The most recent figure wasn't very good, and was 11 years ago. We understand that safety regulations prohibit a spring-loaded projectile from being under 3 inches, so how about a few compromises instead? How about an R2 that can have a removable panel and can hold just the ROTJ Luke saber hilt (in the film it's facing upwards anyway so the blade would be sticking out the top), and if you still must have the gimmick, it can be replaced with a full-length Luke saber with blade that goes all the way through the body and a hole out the bottom and fires that way. R2 wasn't using his middle leg in the scene but kids will hold the figure during play so it doesn't matter that the blade goes past his feet. This would also be a great excuse to finally get a nice new Luke ROTJ lightsaber accessory out after 13 years of suffering imitations. So how about it, isn't it time we get a decent Lightsaber Launching R2-D2?
2) Regarding the head on the Cloud City Wing Guard figure, the cardback suggests this is supposed to be Sgt. Edian, yet while the coloring is a black person's and Edian is a black man, the sculpt is clearly that of a white guy. Everything about the head sculpt, even the part in the hair, is a different guy given a dark brown deco. While it could be seen technically as an update to the vintage black Bespin Security Guard on skin tone alone, the features and cardback on that Kenner figure were clearly Edian and were differentiated from the other Kenner white Bespin Guard figure. Why was this new Edian figure given a white guy's face sculpt? Any chance we'll see this head sculpt again as another ethnicity, or a new and more accurate Sgt. Edian sculpt in the future?
3) In a recent answer, Hasbro revealed that the Spring 2010 EU wave will be the only group of non-Clone Wars new figures until the Fall. Granted, we have seen gaps in the line before - most recently in the break between The Force Unleashed wave in Spring 2008 and the ROTJ wave in July 2008 - but this news has many collectors worried. With the Legacy line apparently in poor shape, is it the wisest idea to put it on hiatus for over 2 quarters next year? Granted, we'll still have The Clone Wars figures to look forward to, but such a pause might cause even more movie-based collectors to walk away and further undermine the line, perhaps into completely folding. Hasbro stated recently "We are working hard to get [collectors who have left the line] back, and we think that what we have lined up next year will be our best attempt." We know full details will be revealed at Toy Fair so we won't ask specifics, but can collectors look forward to some movie-based products in those lean 6 to 8 months while the basic Legacy-style line is on hiatus, enough stuff to hold their interest? And is it too late to get out a repaint wave, perhaps with some of those already-tooled variant figures like the Hoth Trooper, Imperial Scanning Crew, and Utai, perhaps some tooled but canceled Comic Pack figures, maybe even some kitbashes like Han Solo head on an Imperial body, to keep collectors interested during the break?
From CollectionStation.com:
1) With the new deluxe vehicle assortment consistent of the ARC-170 repaint and the Clone Wars Y-wing, there seems to be a focus on raising prices in the line across the board, though that scale's jump from $30 to $60+ is especially noteworthy. Basic figures are $8 or more now, comic packs have gone up $4, battle packs and vehicles are going up around $5, deluxe figure & vehicle packs are a pricey $16+, the last dribs and drabs of Titanium Series are over $8, Force FX sabers have gone up $20, and exclusives pricing is all over the map. Clearly, the economic turmoil over the last few years has hit the Hasbro Star Wars brand exceptionally hard, but don't these prices seem harder and harder to justify for both hardcore and casual collectors? We know you are trying to do your best to keep the line alive, but right now collectors are very concerned about the brand's future, and they see the price-hikes as a major culprit to its possible downfall. Raising prices is a downward spiral, isn't there some way to better split the costs hikes between customers and profit margins, before there are virtually no customers left to eke profit margins out of and the line folds?
2) Will we ever get more multipacks from the Star Wars: Battlefront series? There are Original Trilogy factions that still need to be boxed up, and they'd have tons of cross-consumer interest from gamers to army building potential to kids who want a battle in a box, and just OT fans in general. Most of the figures exist as it is, with only the Rebel Smuggler, and the Rebel Sniper who could be retooled based on existing Leia figures, there are tons of variations from Hoth and Endor, and then there's also the Ep 2-era clones that show up in Battlefront 1 and 2 that could tie in with The Clone Wars. So, any chance of seeing anything more like this?
3) Mace Windu has been represented in action figure form for 11 years now, and a large portion of those figures were released with some unique, non-standard aspect. Mace has been the first "sneak peek" and a mail-away in the modern line, the first hard-shell "choco" robe, AOTC had a deluxe before basic which has a smiling face and a second figure, AOTC basic had the screaming face, 2003 AOTC basic had the "ultimate lightsaber control" stick gimmick, ROTS had the Force Lightning throw-off gimmick, and now the Clone Wars version with removable armor and saber-swinging waist. While there have been a few normal Mace figures, and even a super-articulated one finally, it seems as if Mace Windu has been tapped by Hasbro to be the sculpting and gimmick guinea pig. Is this pattern intentional, do you think he can't sell without these sorts of things, is it just happenstance, or does someone there subliminally not realize they keep picking Mace to be the test guy?

(It was a 2-way tie for the last question, would have been a 3-way tie for 2 slots if not for Jabbajohn's last vote, so I went with the question that was there longer and helped give a more rounded set of answers.)

Look for a new round of voting soon!