PDA

View Full Version : New Cloud Car . . . ?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-04-2009, 12:35 AM
On that otheR Site's forums, I found some pics (here (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/bear78/IMG_0275a.jpg), here (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/bear78/IMG_0274a.jpg), and here (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/bear78/IMG_0276a.jpg)) of what would appear to be the prototype for an all-new Cloud Car. There was a new snowspeeder here (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/bear78/IMG_0466a.jpg) and here (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/bear78/IMG_0465a.jpg), too. The Cloud Car looks pretty damn great. Looks like the pods can split apart, and Hasbro packed it full of missiles, which is to be expected. It looks like the sections between the pods can be extended or retracted, for whatever reason. Anyway, hopefully there will be official confirmation on this at Toy Fair or sooner, since this looks killer.

El Chuxter
12-04-2009, 12:45 AM
Oh my sweet, sweet Lord, it is a prototype Cloud Car! JT was my hero for pointing out the deal on the MARS Trooper sets, but I think you just trumped him.

The Snowspeeder doesn't really look new to me. It looks like there's a tiny bit of retooling, but, otherwise, I can't tell the difference from the earlier versions (unless they scaled the size down slightly, which wouldn't show up in a pic like that).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-04-2009, 12:58 AM
The difference in the snowspeeder isn't obvious, but if you compare it to the old one (http://www.rebelscum.com/TSCsnowspeeder.asp), there are some changes. The cannons are now mostly smooth, and all the "raised" detailing on the old one has been replaced with grooves. That's not huge, and we probably won't know how different it is for a while, but it's definitely a different sculpt.

JediTricks
12-04-2009, 01:33 AM
Nice find, JJL! Looks authentic to me, the screw-holes and missile styles and the hatch hinges and the docking business are very Hasbro styled, these would have to be amazing forgeries to pass this design off.

What do you think is under the movable "hood" at the front of each pod?

BTW, here's their most recent answer about the Cloud Car, from Nov 16th:

Toymania.com: Often, Hasbro's response to a question about a requested vehicle (like the Cloud Car) that "it is still readily available to fans on ebay" - however, looking at the improvements in paint and deco on any Hasbro re-release(as seen in the multiple releases of the TIE fighter) fans feel that any re-release would be an improvement on the original. Maybe you could explain to me the reasoning that Hasbro would prefer fans to buy from the secondary market rather than from your vendor partners?
Hasbro: Vehicles, just like characters, are not created equally. We cite the Cloud Car specifically as an example of a vehicle which is available on eBay for less than the cost if we created a new one and released it, for example, in the Starfighter Vehicle Assortment. We *do* know that there is an audience of fans who want to have a new-era (non-Vintage) Cloud Car in their collection, however based on demand it appears to be more of a niche audience. If/when we eventually do a Cloud Car, we need to be sure that the audience is big enough to justify the tooling investment.Very very sneaky the way they worded that.

It's definitely new, I love that they sculpted the hatch detail and you can see it on the unpainted canopy. I fear I'm seeing the lower flaps on the Snowspeeder not being movable again, but I'll definitely buy this no matter what.

LTBasker
12-04-2009, 02:02 AM
Both vehicles look great, especially the Snowspeeder. The proportions look far better and the detailing is very sharp.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-04-2009, 02:07 AM
What do you think is under the movable "hood" at the front of each pod?
I'd guess just detailing, but maybe they have something more action-oriented planned. Either way, I didn't notice them until you pointed them out.

That Q&A answer is indeed very telling, that seems to confirm it in my mind.

DarkJedi5
12-04-2009, 02:35 AM
This is the best news I think I've heard in months regarding the future of the line. They promised some new OT vehicles and if these are them (with hopefully a surprise or two left for toy fair) I'll be buying two of each. The cloudcar looks brilliant, all those actions features should draw in the kiddies while it can look very true to the film as well. My guess is the hatches on the nose swing open for storage much like the hatches on the Magnaguard fighter, you can even see the little lip they design in so you can get a fingernail in there to flip it open and hinges on the other side. I don't really know what to say about the snowspeeder yet. Sure it looks great but until I see it next to a figure it's gonna be hard to tell if the scale is right. But yes, the detail is fantastic and it should be quite a toy. They'll need to rerelease the Cloudcar pilot cause I'm going to need three more of them and a new Dack would be necessary as well.

Tycho
12-04-2009, 04:59 AM
Don't put the large missiles in and it will look like the movie. The side missile launchers hide away like they do on General Grievous' ship.

When painted the right color, this will look very authentic. I am so buying 3 as soon as I can!

The snowspeeder I won't be needing.

I already bought a pile of Cloud Car pilots - 8 I think - and 2 will be walking around Cloud City, but 6 will go in the 3 ships I bought. However, an ethnic variation, like a black Cloud Car pilot or an Asian or Hispanic one would be easily welcome as a pack-in or a new carded figure. They can re-use the body mold from the white guy CC Pilot and that would be fine with me. I'm really excited about this one!

In this very polling, folks voted 26-2 for this ship - virtually unanimous!

I can't wait for this. It probably won't be released until maybe summer 2010 though. :cry: Now the wait begins.

JediTricks
12-04-2009, 05:03 AM
I just now noticed while I was talking on the phone with a buddy who is all excited about these that in order to expose the outer missile launchers, you have to slide the WHOLE POD inwards. That's kinda cool! Instead of trying to make a tiny hinge system, the whole pod is on an internal slider, that's brilliant and fun.

BTW, 2 more new vehicle test shots, these are Prequel:
http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=41671

I'd guess just detailing, but maybe they have something more action-oriented planned. Either way, I didn't notice them until you pointed them out.I'm betting it's just detail as well, but I'm fine with that, it could use it. I turned up the photo brightness a little before I noticed it.

That Q&A answer is indeed very telling, that seems to confirm it in my mind.Yeah, they really played that one well. It comes off like "no way we'd do it", but in hindsight they are setting us up for this.

bigbarada
12-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Okay, I'm suddenly getting excited about Star Wars collecting again! :love:

I'll definitely buy a Cloud Car. If it's an exclusive then it will probably come with a repack of the OTC Pilot, but i'm holding out hope that we will see an all-new, SA Cloud Car Pilot as a carded figure.

The Snowspeeder is also very awesome to see, especially after just purchasing the new Snowspeeder Luke figure. I hope to buy a few of these. Now we just need new versions of Dak, Jansen, and Wedge in their Snowspeeder gear.

Still holding out hope that we see a BAT-AT soon.

DarkJedi5
12-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Now we just need new versions of Dak, Jansen, and Wedge in their Snowspeeder gear.

We got snowspeeder Jansen last year in the Rebel Pilots Evo set #1. He's SA and there's really no need to redo him. And I heard somewhere that a Wedge was in the works but that may have been wishful thinking.

Tycho
12-04-2009, 12:34 PM
No Hasbro answered in a Q&A that a Wedge snowspeeder is in the works for sure, I believe.

I think then we only really need Hobbie (he came out in X-wing gear for the Rogue Squadron comic 2 pack).

Speaking of which, we also need a Janson X-wing pilot version (which would look realistic of course, but be from the comics' source).

I think that would do it:

Snowspeeder Pilots:

Luke
Dak
Zev
Wedge
Janson
(Hobbie)

They could make Tycho, but he'd be EU and I'd rather have him in an orange X-wing Pilot outfit anyway. He only flew an A-wing in ROTJ.

They could also make Dash Rendar as a snowspeeder pilot.

X-wing Pilots:

Yavin -

Red Leader (Garven Dreis) R1
Luke R5
Biggs R3
Wedge R2
Porkins R6

Rogue Squadron (comics):

Wedge (movie)
(Tycho) in orange
(Janson)
Hobbie
Ibitisam
Nrin
(Corran) in green?
Dllr (Why? He was killed early. Must be Sullustian mold overuse)
Plourr
Doc (Twi'lek chick)
(Baron Fel) in x-wing gear - (much rather have in Imperial Officer uniform)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-04-2009, 02:05 PM
I'll definitely buy a Cloud Car. If it's an exclusive then it will probably come with a repack of the OTC Pilot, but i'm holding out hope that we will see an all-new, SA Cloud Car Pilot as a carded figure.
In another (possibly) telling Q&A, they said this:

Rebelscum.com: This is a two-part question: The list of vintage Kenner figures waiting to see an updated re-release is getting shorter and shorter. From those vintage Kenner figures that have yet to be released in the modern Hasbro line, what are the top 5 character that you would like to see produced?
Also, collectors understand that not EVERY character previously released during the POTF2 and POTJ years is going to have an updated sculpt, but again of those POTF2/POTJ characters that have not been re-released who would be your top 5 candidates to see updated sculpting/articulation?
Hasbro: Among vintage figures, Imperial Dignitary, Cloud Car Pilot, Death Squad Commander, and Lumat top our list. After looking at the vintage "undone" line again, we concur - it is getting short. But that's a good thing, right?
As for PotF2/PotJ, the highest priority redos for us include Dr. Evazon, Ponda Baba, a Millennium Falcon Nien Nunb, General Lando, and Klaatu.
I thought that was odd of them to include the Cloud Car Pilot seeing as how the one from five years ago is perfect in every way except articulation, but again, it looks like they were dropping a hint (maybe). I think it could be cool to do a mustached version, like in the pilot seen in the film model (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/3/3f/Cloudcar-front.jpg), as we already have the clean-shaven one.

AmanaMatt
12-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Id get one, to support the Cloud Car...the Cloud Car pilot a few years back still looks excellent...

Old Fossil
12-04-2009, 09:53 PM
[C-3PO voice]OH MY GOODNESS! WONDERFUL![/C-3PO voice]

Gothiczartan
12-05-2009, 12:41 AM
I'm hoping they can add the luke snowspeeder pilot figure with new capless head sclupt if there will be another snowspeeder after this one.

as for cloud car, add the OTC Cloud Car Pilot as an exclusive.

snowspeeder with luke pilot (new head without cap)

cloud car with pilot (OTC CCP figure)

mark2d2
12-05-2009, 02:59 AM
Wow... Awesome news... Cloud Car... Simply amazing... It truly looks like a knock out toy all around...

Tycho
12-05-2009, 03:01 AM
as for cloud car, add the OTC Cloud Car Pilot as an exclusive.

Do you mean to have the exclusive Cloud Car come with 2 pilots? That would be great if they are both ethnically different. A black or Asian pilot, along with the white pilot would be very cool. Maybe give one facial hair like a beard or mustache, too?

Snowtrooper
12-05-2009, 10:51 AM
It looks great! Looks like Hasbro put alot of effort into this to make it appealing to both collectors and kids. I like how it splits into two pods, but I hope the link between the two isn't weak and we'll have a sagging cloud car.

The landing gear is in a weird spot. It doesn't look like it really supports anything. I prefer how the vintage one has its landing gear, but I suppose they wouldn't be able to have the pull out missle hatch on the sides if they did it this way.

The snowspeeder looks pretty good too. I'm a little less excited about it, though, since we've had previous releases were decent

morpheus282
12-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Cloud car looks great, but I may have to pass on it due to finances and space. I'll know for sure when I finally see it on the shelf.

I like the snowspeeder but it's pretty much in the same boat as the cloud car. I may have to pick it up since all of my previous ones have either gone MIA or been thinned out when I had more than one. I'll have to wait and see what it looks like and what the status of my collection is at the time.

What we really need is a new AT-AT that's more to scale with the snowspeeder. :D

JEDIpartner
12-05-2009, 02:28 PM
I never got the Cloud Car, so this is kinda cool. I could do with the Snowspeeder upgrade.

JediTricks
12-08-2009, 04:09 PM
A buddy and I were talking about this the other night, and Hasbro's "right niche audience" comment, we came up with a theory that may be way out there, but has a small chance of being accurate. What if the Cloud Car is going to be the Celebration V exclusive? Granted, it's not likely, but that'd be the perfect audience for it. It'd drive a lot of collectors crazy, of course, since it wouldn't be available to anybody not going (except briefly on the web), but they've certainly done that before.
The landing gear is in a weird spot. It doesn't look like it really supports anything. I prefer how the vintage one has its landing gear, but I suppose they wouldn't be able to have the pull out missle hatch on the sides if they did it this way.I think this landing gear is meant to keep it from tipping forward, so it rests on its belly and then the landing legs just keep it upright.

DarkJedi5
12-08-2009, 04:33 PM
A buddy and I were talking about this the other night, and Hasbro's "right niche audience" comment, we came up with a theory that may be way out there, but has a small chance of being accurate. What if the Cloud Car is going to be the Celebration V exclusive? Granted, it's not likely, but that'd be the perfect audience for it. It'd drive a lot of collectors crazy, of course, since it wouldn't be available to anybody not going (except briefly on the web), but they've certainly done that before.

Boy, that would make me sad! I'm in line for two of these bad boys but there's no way I'm going to Orlando. Which means I'd be glued to the computer waiting for them to become available and trying to buy two before they sold out. Also, an exclusive would have a generally small run and that means that the cost would probably have to be higher and then, could I even afford two? Toyfare can't come soon enough....

morpheus282
12-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Celebration V exclusive? I truly hope not. If so, I'll be waiting for them to show up on eBay sometime around 2012.

El Chuxter
12-09-2009, 12:20 AM
If Hasbro were to make this a CV exclusive, they'll be found by police in shallow graves three days after the announcement. I think they're smarter than that.

JediTricks
12-09-2009, 12:52 AM
They'd probably also be available online if they were.

El Chuxter
12-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Ah, that's right. I was thinking of the way they handled those GD Botcon exclusives a few years back.

JediTricks
12-09-2009, 01:19 AM
Botcon exclusives always are a disaster. But the last few SDCC and Celebration exclusives were available online, the HTS ones anyway.

LTBasker
12-09-2009, 01:44 AM
Wasn't the 100% repaint SDCC exclusive Shadow Scout w/ Speederbike an incredibly ludicrous $25? I'd hate to imagine what a 100% new vehicle would cost as an exclusive.

figrin bran
12-09-2009, 02:27 AM
I only own one Cloud Car Pilot and so for me to even consider buying this, they would have to release him again, be it a rehash or new sculpt.

gba88
12-09-2009, 06:52 AM
I only own one Cloud Car Pilot and so for me to even consider buying this, they would have to release him again, be it a rehash or new sculpt.

Just throw in the new "black man with white features" bespin guard :)

agentorange1976
12-09-2009, 07:11 AM
What if the Cloud Car is going to be the Celebration V exclusive? Granted, it's not likely, but that'd be the perfect audience for it.

If it were intended for that audience, which I assume is more fanatic-leaning than, say, the shelves of Wal-Mart, wouldn't it be counterintuitive to go to all the trouble of adding those "aggressive" features, which risk making it less desirable to fanatics?

Just a thought. Then again, it's not a huge shock if Hasbro does something counterintuitive.

D

Old Fossil
12-09-2009, 07:13 AM

I was doing a quick inventory of my Bespin-themed figures last night, and found that I had THREE OTC Cloud Car Pilots. I'm not sure how that happened.

Just throw in the new "black man with white features" bespin guard :)

The Clarence Gilyard, Jr. Bespin Guard?

JediTricks
12-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Wasn't the 100% repaint SDCC exclusive Shadow Scout w/ Speederbike an incredibly ludicrous $25? I'd hate to imagine what a 100% new vehicle would cost as an exclusive.I remember the Shadow Scout set being $20 when I bought it at SDCC '07, but either way, that wasn't an HTS exclusive, it was a SWS exclusive. Still, you make a good point, as an exclusive it'd probably be $50.

If it were intended for that audience, which I assume is more fanatic-leaning than, say, the shelves of Wal-Mart, wouldn't it be counterintuitive to go to all the trouble of adding those "aggressive" features, which risk making it less desirable to fanatics?

Just a thought. Then again, it's not a huge shock if Hasbro does something counterintuitive.That's a good point, but as you point out, Hasbro does stuff that makes little sense on more than rare occasion. :p

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-21-2009, 07:47 PM
JediInsider (http://jediinsider.com/index.php?catid=8&itemid=12431) got word that the Cloud Car will be in the main vehicle line. They confirmed the snowspeeder as well, and I assume it will be in the main line as well, but they didn't say definitively.

morpheus282
12-21-2009, 08:05 PM
The more I think about it, the more I've come to realize that I'll probably get the snowspeeder but pass on the cloud car.

...And probably regret passing on the cloud car a year later.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-02-2010, 01:10 PM
JediDefender (http://jedidefender.com/newspro/fullnews.cgi?newsid1262414509,7487,) has several shots of this vehicle wave. Looks good.

Maerj2000
01-02-2010, 01:26 PM
The Cloud Car is looking good, it has a lot of bonus features there too. It looks like it will be able to split into to vehicles, each with a bunch of missiles. Pretty nice!

I like that Swamp Speeder too. I can see that selling pretty well. I know some folks don't like the Clone Wars but I really enjoy the show and the toys.

The snowspeeder looks...small. That one isn't to scale, is it? I don't mind new versions of vehicles and new features but getting the scale at least somewhat right is important too.

morpheus282
01-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Surprise of the day. I was looking at the pictures when my daughter looks over and says "oh cool!". When I asked which of the vehicles she liked, she said the cloud car first and snowspeeder second. I never expected that from her.

bigbarada
01-02-2010, 06:05 PM
The snowspeeder looks...small. That one isn't to scale, is it? I don't mind new versions of vehicles and new features but getting the scale at least somewhat right is important too.

The onscreen Snowspeeder is small. This is one of those super rare instances where the vintage Kenner toy was actually too big in relation to the figures, when compared to the onscreen version.

pbarnard
01-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Well if the Droid Gunship is coming, it's undersized, the Snow Speeder is eh, after you get 2, do you really want a third (considering what is boxed up due to baby space needs atm), Swamp Speeder, nice EU/video game addition, and the Cloud Car...well they had to add spring loaded missiles I guess because it does fire the warning shots?

Old Fossil
01-02-2010, 08:54 PM
I actually like the Droid Gunship, though I doubt I'll get one.

Don't know that I like that canopy on the Snowspeeder, or the one on the Cloud Car. It looks to be all 1 clear piece in both cases, though I suppose being prototypes they may differ from the finished product.

I wonder what is beneath the hoods on the Twin Pod?

Thanks for the link, JJL.:)

morpheus282
01-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Well if the Droid Gunship is coming, it's undersized, the Snow Speeder is eh, after you get 2, do you really want a third (considering what is boxed up due to baby space needs atm), Swamp Speeder, nice EU/video game addition, and the Cloud Car...well they had to add spring loaded missiles I guess because it does fire the warning shots?

Like most everything else in the line, the droid gunship probably had to be scaled down a bit to make it affordable - remember the AT-AT? I'll have to wait and see a painted version of the snowspeeder before I make a decision on it, but since my Kenner version is MIA it seems to be a fitting replacement. My daughter will probably end up with a cloud car before it's over with.

Maerj2000
01-02-2010, 10:08 PM
The onscreen Snowspeeder is small. This is one of those super rare instances where the vintage Kenner toy was actually too big in relation to the figures, when compared to the onscreen version.

After reading this, I thought about it and the Snowspeeder does fly easily threw the AT-ATs legs doesn't it? Guess we're all just getting spoiled with these gigantic vehicles :D A brand new big AT-AT to go with this new speeder would be nice. ;)

morpheus282
01-02-2010, 10:41 PM
A brand new big AT-AT to go with this new speeder would be nice. ;)

I'll second that!

bigbarada
01-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Packaged and loose images were just posted on http://jedinews.co.uk/

I guess Hasbro is allowing them to publish the images to "whet everyone's appetite" for Toy Fair in the US. Which makes me wonder, if these are just the appetizer, then what is the main course? :)

El Chuxter
01-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Now this is official confirmation of the first vehicle I'll buy in what seems like an eternity. I hope they re-release (or maybe resculpt, though it seems a waste) the pilot, since it appears one isn't included, and it's been a very long time since there's been one available.

DarkJedi5
01-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Now this is official confirmation of the first vehicle I'll buy in what seems like an eternity. I hope they re-release (or maybe resculpt, though it seems a waste) the pilot, since it appears one isn't included, and it's been a very long time since there's been one available.

Yeah, that's the only problem I've got. In an error of judgement I only bought one (which is dumb cause you know you're going to need two if they ever make the ship) and depending on how easy it is to find a pilot I may buy two cloud cars, but if finding pilots is a pain I'll skip the second.

Tycho
01-26-2010, 04:38 PM
I'd like a black Bespin Cloud Car Pilot - or someone with a headsculpt different from the one I already bought multiples of. That way I don't have "clones" of a sort flying these things.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Both this and the snowspeeder look fantastic! The snowspeeder has interchangeable parts with and without firing missiles, just like on the AT-ST. I'm really interested in a shot with a figure next to it (the image on the back looks like it's in-scale, finally).

The packaging is very dark compared to what's out now, which is a little jarring, but I'm sure I'll get used to it after a while.

They said that they'd like to update the Cloud Car Pilot, but didn't commit to anything. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see one on the vintage card.

DarkJedi5
01-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Well an updated Cloud Car Pilot makes sense, and then I'd just buy four of those instead of three old figures off of eBay (way to get even more of my money Hasbro!). I was really surprised to see the Snowspeeder's paint job. It's not the "traditional" Snowspeeder (in other words, with the red striping) but it does match Luke's from the battle of Hoth. Maybe after Toyfair we can ask if they're planning a repaint down the line with a red stripe for Wedge or just about any other Rogue pilot from Hoth.

pbarnard
01-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Well technically we have Kesmin Osmis (sp) from the Rebel Pilots Evo set to make Modified T-47s for.

RENDAR LIVES
01-26-2010, 07:38 PM
I'm impressed. I typically wouldn't give a crap about a cloudcar being that it's not a starfighter and very Jetson's looking but seeing this pics and how it splits apart, I am now convinced to buy one.

Old Fossil
01-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Luuuvin' that Cloud Car! Glad I got some CC Pilots in aught-four.*

*Because you never know...

JediTricks
01-27-2010, 12:37 AM
Rise of the true Carrotmobile! But is it really anything without Celeryman?

The packaging looks way too much like a model kit, not like a starfighter-class vehicle.

I can't believe we don't have a Snowspeeder thread. Anyway, that snowspeeder looks twice as accurate as the original, which already looked pretty good to begin with. The new canopy is blowing me away, straight out of the movie! I wish it had weathering though, but it looks good with the paint it does have. Glad to see it has interchangeable cannons for missile launchers AND an interchangeable harpoon launcher on the back.

mtriv73
01-27-2010, 09:34 AM
Maybe after Toyfair we can ask if they're planning a repaint down the line with a red stripe for Wedge or just about any other Rogue pilot from Hoth.

This is Hasbro, of course they're planning repaints. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Purple Mace Windu snowspeeder at some point.

I think it looks great as does the Cloud Car. They've practically got my money already.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-03-2010, 01:00 PM
From Imperial Shipyards (http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=192.new#new):

2) Since you have confirmed a cloud car and new snowspeeder sculpt are coming can you tell us if these ships will be exclusive to one store and will we see new pilots for each vehicle?

Both the Cloud Car and Snow speeder will be released as part of the Starfighter Vehicle collection so will be available to all retailers. There will be one caveat to that, that we will announce at Toy Fair. There will be a new Cloud Car Pilot, along with Dak Ralter to pilot your Snowspeeder.
It's cool that we're getting new pilots, especially Dack, but I wonder what the "caveat" is?

El Chuxter
02-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Since they already said they're available at all retailers, I'm going to guess it's a price increase.