PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy The Battle Droid Carrier Skiff Vehicle From TPM?

Tycho
12-08-2009, 08:25 AM
I am continuing my 3 3/4" vehicle thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case the Battle Droid Carrier Skiff Vehicle From TPM). [PICTURE BELOW]

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy the Battle Droid Carrier Skiff Vehicle From TPM?

I can see retailers trying to hock this for the $70 price range, but it need not be. Couldn't $50 be sufficient for a decent return if Hasbro decided to invest in the tooling for this? It can be way off scale but function well-enough to hold maybe 10 stored battle droids and host a cockpit for 2 figures (pilot and co-pilot).

I think the ship could fire missiles from its weapons, maybe 2 of them to make this more fun for kids but that should be about it.

Do you want this made?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

It's easily possible that this craft could appear in The Clone Wars. Do you want to see it there, as it would aide in kids identifying it and making it a more viable product proposal for the Separatist Army?

NOTE: looking at this craft, if Hasbro made the MTT, they could use the same tooling for its droid carrier rack and offer it here, getting half this vehicle done from the get-go.

DarkJedi5
12-08-2009, 10:12 AM
I don't dislike the vehicle. Large scale diorama builders would probably like something like this to throw into the background of a diorama to depict how the troops get to and from the battle field. Also it would have lots of moving parts if not missiles which generally kids like. I would not want this over the MTT or even before the MTT because, IMO, it's a lot more boring but fills the same need so we might never see the MTT if this was done first. But I'll go ahead and say yes.

Snowtrooper
12-08-2009, 11:06 AM
I'd probably buy one, but I wouldn't be that terribly excited about it. It wasn't featured prominently in the TPM and I don't find the design very exciting.

DarkArtist
12-08-2009, 12:24 PM
i would have to see what the vehicle looks like before making a final decision. questions pop in my mind about this one...will it be in accurate scale ?, will it comes with new SA droids that can fold up like they do in the movie ? what price range are we looking at ? will it be strong enough to be a general release or weak where it wuld trigger a store exclusive ?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-08-2009, 01:00 PM
I have the Lego version, and even then, I remember not knowing what this thing was. Isn't it in the background of the scene where OOM-9 talks to the holograms of Nute and Rune, and that's it? It's not terribly exciting or memorable, but it wouldn't be bad to own. If they do it without the battle droids, I think they could easily put it in the starfighter line (probably scaled down a bit).

JediTricks
12-08-2009, 05:16 PM
I have to say no. It's not that I don't like the concept, but it's not exciting and a toy won't be able to replicate anything in the film universe that I'd want. It won't hover, it won't accordion out, and the droids won't transform.

Devo
12-08-2009, 07:02 PM
I don't remember seeing this in TPM. I'd buy it if I wasn't otherwise spending a fortune at the time. However if money is a consideration it'd be one to pass on.

bigbarada
12-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Nope. I'm pretty much done with collecting prequel stuff, especially non-aggressive, boring Prequel stuff.

morpheus282
12-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Ten years ago, yes. Today, nah.

JediTricks
12-09-2009, 02:12 AM
I don't remember seeing this in TPM. I'd buy it if I wasn't otherwise spending a fortune at the time. However if money is a consideration it'd be one to pass on.
It definitely is in the film, you can see a few as part of the convoy floating towards Theed. There's also one in ROTS.

Darth Jax
12-09-2009, 08:29 AM
i wouldn't want one. don't see it being a big seller as it doesn't do anything - merely a troop transport. it would have to show up prominently in CW to get kids interested in it, but still think it would be non-seller

Tycho
12-09-2009, 07:40 PM
There's also one in ROTS.

Where is it in ROTS, JT?

El Chuxter
12-09-2009, 08:31 PM
I always assumed it was just part of the larger droid transports. Probably no.

Old Fossil
12-09-2009, 08:36 PM
I would not buy it.

OC47150
12-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Possibly, but like everything it depends on the price.

JediTricks
12-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Where is it in ROTS, JT?On Kashyyyk, Wookieepedia has an image:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Kash_PAC.JPG
(from here)
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Platoon_Attack_Craft

Seeing it from above looks kinda silly, actually.

Tycho
12-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the links.

Seeing it from above looks kinda silly, actually.

How so?

It does not look "cool" to me, but it doesn't look silly to me either.

I'd buy the vehicle and find it useful for dioramas, and maybe Hasbro could figure out some kind of fun action feature for it (or a few), but asthetically it doesn't do anything for me. I don't think it was supposed to. It's just a functional vehicle.

Padme's suitcase was also just functional. It too wasn't supposed to do anything for the audience.

clone157
12-11-2009, 09:48 PM
I would buy it, but I doubt they will make it. It could be cool and the basis for the design of a MTT. You know, banks of droids that can be used with both vehicles. Put in a pop up cannon that goes down the center of the back of the trailer, and it could work.

JediTricks
01-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the links.

How so?

It does not look "cool" to me, but it doesn't look silly to me either.

I'd buy the vehicle and find it useful for dioramas, and maybe Hasbro could figure out some kind of fun action feature for it (or a few), but asthetically it doesn't do anything for me. I don't think it was supposed to. It's just a functional vehicle.

Padme's suitcase was also just functional. It too wasn't supposed to do anything for the audience.
Sorry for the delay in responding. It's a very long, thin vehicle which makes maneuverability awkward (any turns will be spent in long, lazy circles fighting momentum) and it's completely non-armored so it's a deathtrap for the droids stuck in folded up mode.

pbarnard
01-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Not this one, MTT that could hold dozen more more battle droids, possible.

Tycho
01-05-2010, 02:16 AM
I really need to get back to continuing this thread series. X-mas and New Years were unavoidable breaks, but perhaps by later this evening, I'll have a new poll thread up.

JT - I agree with your post. But they couldn't really be "death traps" because the droids weren't alive in the first place. :D

That's Lucas though - not showing too many biological faces dying in the line of fire in the "clean" Star Wars (versus say - his Young Indiana Jones series which I'm watching now, which has clear-cut slaughter scenes from the trench warfare of WWI).

clone157
01-06-2010, 11:28 PM
You know guys, I just thought about this. This vehicle would be cool as something that actually came with a larger vehicle. What if this came with the MTT? What if the MTT was a fold open playset with a droid assembly area on one side, command area on the other, with a driveway in the center ala Prime's trailer. Put a rack for foldable droids in the center that could be mounted on the skiff and they could use a standardized peg hole, into which one could plug one of the cannons from the front of the vehicle.

pbarnard
01-07-2010, 11:51 AM
The more I think about it, I and watching the smaller items and going back to Cloak of Deception, the Trade Federation was building up to be military operation. The droids they had prior were just for basic protection/repossesion. This skiff would be a cargo moving thing that was coopted into being a personnel carrier. I think that is the reason we don't see it again after Episode I, because instead of being the Trade Federation, largest interstellar commerce agent, they became the Trade Federation, core army of the Sepratists. Maybe I'd buy it for background purposes, but not for the Trade Federation.

JediTricks
01-07-2010, 03:58 PM
The more I think about it, I and watching the smaller items and going back to Cloak of Deception, the Trade Federation was building up to be military operation. The droids they had prior were just for basic protection/repossesion. This skiff would be a cargo moving thing that was coopted into being a personnel carrier. I think that is the reason we don't see it again after Episode I, because instead of being the Trade Federation, largest interstellar commerce agent, they became the Trade Federation, core army of the Sepratists. Maybe I'd buy it for background purposes, but not for the Trade Federation.
I posted earlier evidence of it in Ep 3.

Darth Metalmute
01-20-2010, 07:42 PM
A yes with a big if. It has to come with enough battle droids to fill the container, the battle droids must "transform", and it should be detachable so as it could one day fit in the MTT.

Tycho
01-27-2010, 11:44 PM
The Droid Carrier Skiff wins by a close-running vote, 11-7, by those in favor.

I'd like to see this.

As has been said - make interchangeable part toys so the rack can be put in an MTT as well.