PDA

View Full Version : Viper Mark VIII !!!

Darth Duranium
12-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Apparently, the show's FX house were asked to design a Viper Mk VIII... a mixture of human and Cylon technologies... but it was never used and the renders weren't finished.
They say that rumour had it that it was a "13th Tribe Viper of Kobol".

Here is their early render... looks more like a BSG ARC-170 to me... a bit ungainly, IMO... in that form, anyway. Interesting, though.
What do you guys think?

BTW, roughly how big would a "1/32 scale" Viper model be? Anybody know? Anybody?

Nightside
12-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Interesting find, DH! It does have an ARC vibe to it. I wish they'd come out with an "Art of BSG" book. I love the various "Art of Star Wars" books and would love to see some more BSG concept art.

Blue2th
12-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Apparently, the show's FX house were asked to design a Viper Mk VIII... a mixture of human and Cylon technologies... but it was never used and the renders weren't finished.
They say that rumour had it that it was a "13th Tribe Viper of Kobol".

Here is their early render... looks more like a BSG ARC-170 to me... a bit ungainly, IMO... in that form, anyway. Interesting, though.
What do you guys think?

BTW, roughly how big would a "1/32 scale" Viper model be? Anybody know? Anybody?

That does have an ARC Fighter vibe to it. Looks sorta Cylon tech like.
I like it.

Checking my 1:32 WWII Zero, Spitfire and SBD Dauntless that I have hanging up, the MK VIII would be approximately 11 to 12 inches long, give or take.

Darth Windu
12-08-2009, 10:08 PM
It does feel ARC-ish, only because of the nose though. I really like the design though, would have been awesome to see it in the series.

JediTricks
12-09-2009, 02:05 AM
Hmm, interesting find. It's ok, but I think the long fuselage and oversized nose don't fit the Viper-meets-Raider vibe.

LTBasker
12-09-2009, 02:30 AM
Reminds me a bit more of the BARC speeder than the ARC.

sergiurusu
12-09-2009, 03:51 AM
Reminds me a bit more of the BARC speeder than the ARC.

Same here, looks like a clone BARC speeder or the new Freeco speeder

Darth Duranium
12-09-2009, 08:07 PM
I can see a little Freeco in there... some BARC too. More ARC than BARC?.:D

Not crazy about the tailwing area or the snout but it would have been cool to see how it looked onscreen.

Found a few pics of a test shot of the Moebius Viper Mk II... looks nice.
It turns out to be 30 cm or just under 12" long, as Blue estimated.

http://culttvman.blogspot.com/2009/11/first-look-galactica-viper-from-moebius.html

figrin bran
12-10-2009, 01:21 AM
I like that design!

Unfortunately, had it appeared on the show, we probably would've only seen it for around 10 seconds. :p

clone157
12-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Man, the FX teams that worked on BSG should come out with a DVD of extended VFX scenes and concept art. Maybe Drexfiles should do a ships of the line for BSG? I would love to see more Battlestars!