PDA

View Full Version : Yavin Scramble BP

gba88
12-10-2009, 08:03 AM
Why is there such a demand for this on ebay? I passed it twice at WM because of not wanting to drop that much for what was in it.

So is it the cart, the droid, the rebel?

El Chuxter
12-10-2009, 08:19 AM
A combination of the three, methinks, plus the relative scarcity. I passed once, since no previous BattlePack was tough to find, and found myself regretting it as much as I did when I passed up Ree Yees years ago. :( Add to that that Hasbro refuses to reissue it within the next two years (after which point the figures will probably walk and talk by themselves, making these obsolete in the eyes of most collectors), despite half the questions in each Q&A being, "Hey, you've already got the tooling, so could you reissue this, pretty please?"

gba88
12-10-2009, 08:25 AM
A combination of the three, methinks, plus the relative scarcity. I passed once, since no previous BattlePack was tough to find, and found myself regretting it as much as I did when I passed up Ree Yees years ago. :( Add to that that Hasbro refuses to reissue it within the next two years (after which point the figures will probably walk and talk by themselves, making these obsolete in the eyes of most collectors), despite half the questions in each Q&A being, "Hey, you've already got the tooling, so could you reissue this, pretty please?"

Hm... well, that kind of sucks. Since I've been looking into clearing out some other stuff and picking up some ships in 3.75 scale finally, this would be a nice complementary pack.

I'll NEVER learn my lesson about passing things up. I'm better about it now though, even if I *remotely* think I'll be interested in something at some point, I buy it if I can afford it b/c I know that otherwise I'll be paying double for it on ebay. Which Ree Yees did you man btw?

El Chuxter
12-10-2009, 08:29 AM
The one from 1997 or 1998, which was impossible to find. I saw him and his companion, the Death Star Trooper, at a KB one morning when on my way to the airport. They were brand-spanking new, so I figured I'd wait until I got them somewhere at home. Several months later, when Hasbro re-released them as Fan Club exclusives, I wound up paying about twice for them what they would've cost even at KB's marked-up prices.

gba88
12-10-2009, 08:39 AM
The one from 1997 or 1998, which was impossible to find. I saw him and his companion, the Death Star Trooper, at a KB one morning when on my way to the airport. They were brand-spanking new, so I figured I'd wait until I got them somewhere at home. Several months later, when Hasbro re-released them as Fan Club exclusives, I wound up paying about twice for them what they would've cost even at KB's marked-up prices.

ah...ok. I figured that was the one, but thought maybe I missed out on a Ree Yees that I never knew existed :)

Old Fossil
12-10-2009, 11:12 AM
They really need to revisit Ree-Yees. The POFT2 sculpt was excellent but the figure couldn't stand very well, IIRC.

DarkJedi5
12-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Two things:
1st - The Scramble on Yavin pack was awesome! I saw three of them and bought two. I ended up trading away the extra pilot and droid keeping the cart and driver. Some day I will have my Yavin hanger set with my three X-Wings, the BMF and couple Y-Wings so having two carts to shuttle pilots to their stations was imperative to score more than one of these. Also, for all those people who did buy the Red Leader X-Wings (like myself) all those years ago we needed a real Red Leader fig to go in the ship but there's no way we're buying the ship again.

2nd - Ree-Yees does need a redo. I think I read he's on Hasbro's list of "good enough" figure and if that's the case it's a shame. The figure is so blocky and could be much better. I'm pretty sure the character is supposed to be taller than average height making the figure a little on the short side.

El Chuxter
12-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Ree Yees is considered "good enough" by Hasbro, but Momaw Nadon and Bossk are remade thrice, and they keep delaying Dr Evazan, who had more screen time than all three combined and some actual importance as a character instead of just window dressing? [facepalm]

gba88
12-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Ree Yees is considered "good enough" by Hasbro, but Momaw Nadon and Bossk are remade thrice, and they keep delaying Dr Evazan, who had more screen time than all three combined and some actual importance as a character instead of just window dressing? [facepalm]

oh yeah, evazan is waaaaaaay overdue.... that crappy version from the cantina pack released years ago is AWFUL. No, you don't need 100 points of articulation, but those limbs in "frozen" poses are just useless IMO. Speaking of which... what about Dengar? Too bad he didn't get remade for the ESB wave that's out.

DarkJedi5
12-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Yeah, I didn't realize how old Dengar is until just now (like 2004 Saga line). He's okay but if you want him to be able to compare to the rest of the bounty hunters he probably is due for a redo. Then again, how long did it take to get Zuckuss remade? And his original debut was way worse!

DarkArtist
12-10-2009, 12:51 PM
i too missed out on getting the Ree-Yees back in 97...didn't even see one on the pegs and the only other time I saw him in retail was at a comic book store with a $50 pricetag on him. was hoping to score one from ebay as they are somewhat cheap now, maybe after the new year.

I di grab a lonely Scramble pack a few months back and it truely is a nice set. just wish Hasbro would continue with something like this, small vehicle and maybe 3 figures for a battlepack and not issue a battlepack with 4 figures of which 2 or either re-issues or repaints.

El Chuxter
12-10-2009, 12:56 PM
You guys do realize that Hasbro is intentionally spacing out the bounty hunter remakes so there's always at least one that fanatics are insisting needs to be updated? Right now, everyone's wanting a new Dengar. In a couple of years, they'll make one. Then everyone will complain that Boba Fett and Bossk aren't up to par. And they'll make them. Then, it'll be IG-88 and 4-LOM everyone wants. Another year or so, and they get re-done. And everyone wants a new Zuckuss. They make him right before they lose the license and the line ends, apologizing to fans that they never got around to updating Dr Evazan, or making Cliegg at all.

I'm done with any bounty hunter reissues at all, unless they make Jedi 4-LOM, Dengar in his wedding tuxedo, or Boba Fett in just his underwear after escaping the Sarlaac. (Sadly, those all are actual figures they could make, based on EU stories.)

gba88
12-10-2009, 01:10 PM
You guys do realize that Hasbro is intentionally spacing out the bounty hunter remakes so there's always at least one that fanatics are insisting needs to be updated? Right now, everyone's wanting a new Dengar. In a couple of years, they'll make one. Then everyone will complain that Boba Fett and Bossk aren't up to par. And they'll make them. Then, it'll be IG-88 and 4-LOM everyone wants. Another year or so, and they get re-done. And everyone wants a new Zuckuss. They make him right before they lose the license and the line ends, apologizing to fans that they never got around to updating Dr Evazan, or making Cliegg at all.

I'm done with any bounty hunter reissues at all, unless they make Jedi 4-LOM, Dengar in his wedding tuxedo, or Boba Fett in just his underwear after escaping the Sarlaac. (Sadly, those all are actual figures they could make, based on EU stories.)

Yeah, I remember hearing about the spacing scheme. Still, with the ree yees and evazan talk, he entered into my mind :) I actually picked up a ree yees on ebay about 1.5 years ago for I think about $8 or so. I have no idea what he goes for now. In a way, it's nice that most of the recent SW stuff doesn't appreciate in value because when you go for a year or 2 then have to "catch up", it doesn't break the bank.

You're right about the never ending "updates" though. I think the thing is, with the POTF2 line, a lot of products were able to be redone and introduced that would never have happened without the 97 movie and all that came after that..... a lot of the vintage stuff was redone well with the POTF2 line, and it showed potential that I believe has since been realized and built upon in the lines that came after it.

For me, most figures we are receiving now is the pinnacle of 3.75" figures in respect to details and articulation.

El Chuxter
12-10-2009, 01:11 PM
I know I'm in a minority, but I'd prefer they cut out some of the articulation. The ankles look like poop and ruin many otherwise decent figures. And Malakili doesn't need to be able to re-enact the entire dance sequence from Saturday Night Fever.

Old Fossil
12-10-2009, 01:13 PM
They do not need to redo Dengar, only re-issue the old Saga figure on a new card, then ship him 1 per case.

DarkJedi5
12-10-2009, 02:29 PM
I wholeheartedly disagree. I'm not asking for much but if a figure doesn't have knee or elbow articulation it's not a good figure.

gba88
12-10-2009, 02:51 PM
I wholeheartedly disagree. I'm not asking for much but if a figure doesn't have knee or elbow articulation it's not a good figure.

This is my major gripe with dengar... I mean COME ON, knees that don't bend? Why didn't they just put the POTF2 dengar on the saga card. Yes, I know the 2004 version was MUCH better, but no knees!!??

edit: no elbow joints + no knee joints = statue

Old Fossil
12-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Dengar was in a swoop bike accident that left him permanently bandaged, a partial cyborg and with legs that cannot bend at the knee.

So you see, in this case less articulation = greater authenticity.

Okay, so I'm lying about the knee thing. Still, it's unneccessary, and a great figure as it is.

gba88
12-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Okay, so I'm lying about the knee thing. Still, it's unneccessary, and a great figure as it is.

OK, because I was gonna say.... all that technology and they couldn't give a poor cyborg something as simple as knee joints... :) not to mention, he prob. would have never made the "bounty hunter" status with no knees. Then again, about every other off screen character seems to have been a bounty hunter so...

El Chuxter
12-10-2009, 03:36 PM
If they make a Dengar with articulated knees, I'd prefer Tuxedo Dengar, since they tell bridegrooms not to lock their knees or they might pass out. :D

Devo
12-10-2009, 04:14 PM
This thread didn't stay on topic for long. Anyway Scramble on Yavin is a popular set because its definitely a collector-targeted set. Darth Vader is nowhere to be seen in it! Its all secondary, tertiary characters and a mini vehicle from the film that may never be seen in any form again. I'm glad I searched other places to get one online even though I already had a preorder with BBTS because it turned out BBTS couldn't get it. I'd rather have had two of these.

I think Ree Yees could do with an update. Its by no means an embarrassing figure like Dr.Evazan but I just know it could be better today and with updated articulation we could get him in those distinctly Ree Yees poses.

I'm going to offer a contradictory view on Dengar though. I don't particularly feel he needs an update. The saga sculpt is still excellent and the articulation thats there, limited though it is by todays standards, still enables us to get his pose from the film. They will redo him and I'll probably buy but I wouldn't care if they didn't.

JetsAndHeels
12-10-2009, 09:10 PM
I picked up this set the first (and only) time I saw it. Glad to have it.

Blue2th
12-10-2009, 09:16 PM
I don't expect this pack to ever get reissued.
Glad I got one.
I haven't been around for a month or two, but did SSG ever ask or did Hasbro ever answer one of our questions concerning the Yavin BP getting re-issued?

morpheus282
12-10-2009, 09:23 PM
I seem to recall Hasbro saying the likelihood of this battle pack being reissued was about the same as the likelihood of a bear taking a dump in a phone booth.

DarkJedi5
12-10-2009, 10:14 PM
I don't expect this pack to ever get reissued.
Glad I got one.
I haven't been around for a month or two, but did SSG ever ask or did Hasbro ever answer one of our questions concerning the Yavin BP getting re-issued?

Yeah, basically they said that they are changing the packaging back to the skinny and tall format used before and so the cart won't fit in any packaging for the foreseeable future.

TheDarthVader
12-10-2009, 11:08 PM
There can always be slightly different package variants so hasbro could still release this thing in the new package with a larger "bubble". :)

Val Da Car
12-20-2009, 01:01 AM
Has any one see this recently on the store shelves?

El Chuxter
12-20-2009, 01:45 AM
I found one battered one on a shelf at a Sears (which had been a K-Mart until about a year or so ago) in San Diego today. After jumping so high I hit my head on the ceiling, I bought it.

morpheus282
12-20-2009, 07:46 AM
I only saw it once, and of course I bought it. If I run across another I'm buying it too.

In my area, battle packs are a little scarce. I'm guessing by Hasbro's logic that means they're not selling well and need to be discontinued like the comic packs.

Old Fossil
12-20-2009, 11:06 AM
I haven't seen this since the summer, when I found 1 at Target and bought it.

Blue2th
12-20-2009, 11:23 AM
In a recent Hasbro Q&A they said they would not be re-issuing it. So that's that as they say.

gba88
12-20-2009, 01:46 PM
In a recent Hasbro Q&A they said they would not be re-issuing it. So that's that as they say.

You've got to love hasbro's answers/logic. NOT reissuing this pack makes SO much sense considering I've seen the jabba set rotting on the shelves at all locations in a 30mile radius since the summer.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Yeah, I never saw it. Saw plenty of the Training on the Falcon, the Shield Generator Assault, and the Clone Wars Jabba. I've tried once or twice to get it on eBay, but no luck yet.

gba88
12-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I never saw it. Saw plenty of the Training on the Falcon, the Shield Generator Assault, and the Clone Wars Jabba. I've tried once or twice to get it on eBay, but no luck yet.

yeah stupid me... passed it up twice!!! now the dang thing sells for $60 on ebay. I like the joker that put one up at $59 buy it now. There are only 2 up at the moment, that one, and one going for about 21 that will surely hit $40 before it's over.

morpheus282
12-20-2009, 02:29 PM
yeah stupid me... passed it up twice!!! now the dang thing sells for $60 on ebay. I like the joker that put one up at $59 buy it now. There are only 2 up at the moment, that one, and one going for about 21 that will surely hit $40 before it's over.

I feel the same way about the sandcrawler. I saw that it was coming out, thought I didn't have room for it at the time and I'd get it later. Now I'm out of luck unless I want to pay $100 or more for it.

DarkArtist
12-20-2009, 09:32 PM
i haven't nseen it since early June/ July.... kinda bums me out too since i wanted about 3 of this set for diorama's

Mad Slanted Powers
12-27-2009, 01:22 AM
How big was the package this thing came in? The pictures on RS seem to show it being the same size as the Geonosis Assault BP, which I just found at Target today in the red packaging. I wish they would have done that with the Yavin BP.

morpheus282
12-27-2009, 09:28 AM
If I recall correctly, the package was the exact same size as the Jabba pack. About the same as the current back in height and length, but twice the depth. If I'm wrong on that, someone please correct me.

DarkJedi5
12-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Yeah, it's the same size as all the non-exclusive battle packs on shelves now. I think the second one I nabbed did have the red color to it as well. BUT starting soon, the boxes will change shape and color and at which point items like the transport, the gunship turrets and CW Jabba will no longer fit as they are too wide.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Yeah, it's the same size as all the non-exclusive battle packs on shelves now. I think the second one I nabbed did have the red color to it as well. BUT starting soon, the boxes will change shape and color and at which point items like the transport, the gunship turrets and CW Jabba will no longer fit as they are too wide.

Yeah, I've seen the two new Clone Wars ones at Target in the thin package. If the Yavin pack was released in the red package, then maybe there is a chance that it will show up as there haven't been too many of those showing up yet.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I've seen the two new Clone Wars ones at Target in the thin package. If the Yavin pack was released in the red package, then maybe there is a chance that it will show up as there haven't been too many of those showing up yet.
I think JediTempleAssault.com mentioned a few weeks ago that they were showing up at some TRUs again. I haven't seen any, but it might be worth a shot.

El Chuxter
12-27-2009, 02:37 PM
I haven't bought too many BattlePacks lately, so I can't easily compare the box size, but mine was definitely a blue box. I still have no idea how it sat on a shelf at a store in a well-traveled shopping center, where the basic figures were clearly selling fairly well.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-27-2009, 05:32 PM
I think JediTempleAssault.com mentioned a few weeks ago that they were showing up at some TRUs again. I haven't seen any, but it might be worth a shot.
Unfortunately, the TRU here closed in 2006.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Unfortunately, the TRU here closed in 2006.
Ah, that sucks. I haven't seen one in months so I can't be of any help, either.

I will chime in to say that, yeah, the box was the same size as the other blue-and-white ones from 2008 on, and the same size as the current red ones (the wide-release ones, not the skinny Target exclusive ones).