PDA

View Full Version : Holy crap, Lando saved the Galaxy!!!

JediTricks
12-11-2009, 06:31 AM
This never occurred to me until right now. I've always considered Lando an interesting character but a secondary hero in the saga, relatively minor. But just now I was posting in another thread about why Admiral Ackbar ain't the end-all be-all when I realized that, were it not for Lando, the entire Rebel Fleet would have run from the fight over Endor under Ackbar's "leadership" not once but TWICE!!! Not only does Lando figure out the shield is up before it's too late, but it's Lando's decision to stay in the fight even with the shield not yet disabled, and then it's his call to take the fight directly to the enemy fleet when faced with the giant scarylaser, all which allows the Rebels to execute their final attack on the Death Star, not to mention crippling the Imperial Fleet in the process. Ackbar wants to cut & run the moment he realizes the shield hasn't been downed, and then he doesn't seem to know what to do as the Death Star's laser is picking off the capital ships one by one, he just figures they should let them hang out with their stuff in the breeze with no cover at all. (As a side note, the Emperor would have seemed even more badass if he had let the Death Star superlaser shoot a Rebel capital ship that was super close to a Star Destroyer, thus destroying them both.)

Whatever Leia and Han and even Luke did at the moon of Endor, it all would have been for naught if Lando Calrissian hadn't stepped up and taken charge of an otherwise poorly-led Rebel fleet!

El Chuxter
12-11-2009, 09:48 AM
I'll agree with you to a point. True, Lando is a pimp and the mack daddy, but Ackbar isn't the idiot you make him out to be. He's cautious, likely a result of being in a position where his troops have to rely on smaller scale hit-and-run tactics due to sheer numerical disadvantage.

Regarding the shield, it's not his job as the general to analyze the sensor readings. Someone screwed the pooch, and it likely was a Calamari (given the homogenous staff on the Home One), but it wasn't Ackbar. Most likely, some tech guy got no reading on the shield and misinterpreted it as the shield being down. Lando does save the day here, being the only guy to realize that they should get some reading even if it's down and figuring out the fleet is being jammed.

Ackbar's only real fault in wanting to cut and run in the face of seemingly impossible odds would be a lack of faith in Han, which isn't entirely unjustified given that, regardless of their reputation, we've seen no evidence Ackbar has ever worked alongside Han or any of the other main characters in any operation. One weakness of ROTJ (or just about any SW film) is the complete lack of hard reference to the passage of time. How long has Han been on Endor? A day (we know it's at least that)? A week? The longer he's been there, the greater the likelihood he's simply failed, and the more justified Ackbar is here. (He never saw the other movies and doesn't know Han and his friends always win out in the end. :D)

I've never got the impression he was lost when the superlaser fired. Shocked, absolutely. Lost? No. The capital ships, for the most part, are only lightly armed; they can't do much more than form a crude blockade (on the off chance any Imperials want to escape). They're not fast. And the superlaser's effective range is a lot farther than the area of space covered by the battle. The ships can't even jump to lightspeed this close to two planets and a planet-sized space station. (It's also possible that, given his backstory of learning under Tarkin and having seen Vader's ruthlessness up close as well, he knows the Imperials won't hesitate to kill their own, so scurrying for cover wouldn't do much good.) We don't see as much of him commanding the battle for the same reason Crix Madine commanding a transport was cut from the movie: relative to the main characters, he's not as important anymore. We do see him make the call for all fighters to attack the Imperial command ship, which damages the Death Star and would leave the other Imperial ships leaderless and stunned for at least a minute or two.

Bottom line, Lando and Ackbar are both pretty badarse.

Kidhuman
12-11-2009, 10:26 AM
What Luke did on the Moon of Endor was nothing. He ran to fight his daddy.

Lando is like EC stated, a true pimp and mack daddy and also the saviour of the universe. Ackbar is good for one thing, realizing traps.

Droid
12-11-2009, 12:23 PM
If they couldn't get a read on the shield why didn't they just shoot at it and see what happened?

2-1B
12-13-2009, 12:58 AM
Excuse me, but I haven't seen Nien Nunb's name mentioned here even once.

If it weren't for Double N, Lando wouldn't have even known that they were being jammed.

NN pwns LC and AA.

TheDarthVader
12-13-2009, 09:38 PM
I agree with 2-1B. Nien Numb is the main unsung hero of ROTJ; I love his alien accent too.

Qui-Long Gone
12-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Although Lando did bring down the Empire, once again he failed Han by scratching up the Falcon...

El Chuxter
12-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Scratching? No, he promised it wouldn't even be scratched, then he knocked off the damn radar dish! Plus, the way he was flying through flames, I'm sure there were some scorch marks. I think someone should write an EU story that takes place just after the Ewok party, where Han sees the damage on the Falcon and kicks Lando's butt. And maybe he goes the extra mile to make up for selling him out to the Empire.

JimJamBonds
12-15-2009, 07:20 PM

If it weren't for Double N, Lando wouldn't have even known that they were being jammed.

NN pwns LC and AA.

True dat Senior Deuce!

JediTricks
12-20-2009, 03:32 PM
I'll agree with you to a point. True, Lando is a pimp and the mack daddy, but Ackbar isn't the idiot you make him out to be. He's cautious, likely a result of being in a position where his troops have to rely on smaller scale hit-and-run tactics due to sheer numerical disadvantage.

Regarding the shield, it's not his job as the general to analyze the sensor readings. Someone screwed the pooch, and it likely was a Calamari (given the homogenous staff on the Home One), but it wasn't Ackbar. Most likely, some tech guy got no reading on the shield and misinterpreted it as the shield being down. Lando does save the day here, being the only guy to realize that they should get some reading even if it's down and figuring out the fleet is being jammed.

Ackbar's only real fault in wanting to cut and run in the face of seemingly impossible odds would be a lack of faith in Han, which isn't entirely unjustified given that, regardless of their reputation, we've seen no evidence Ackbar has ever worked alongside Han or any of the other main characters in any operation. One weakness of ROTJ (or just about any SW film) is the complete lack of hard reference to the passage of time. How long has Han been on Endor? A day (we know it's at least that)? A week? The longer he's been there, the greater the likelihood he's simply failed, and the more justified Ackbar is here. (He never saw the other movies and doesn't know Han and his friends always win out in the end. :D)

I've never got the impression he was lost when the superlaser fired. Shocked, absolutely. Lost? No. The capital ships, for the most part, are only lightly armed; they can't do much more than form a crude blockade (on the off chance any Imperials want to escape). They're not fast. And the superlaser's effective range is a lot farther than the area of space covered by the battle. The ships can't even jump to lightspeed this close to two planets and a planet-sized space station. (It's also possible that, given his backstory of learning under Tarkin and having seen Vader's ruthlessness up close as well, he knows the Imperials won't hesitate to kill their own, so scurrying for cover wouldn't do much good.) We don't see as much of him commanding the battle for the same reason Crix Madine commanding a transport was cut from the movie: relative to the main characters, he's not as important anymore. We do see him make the call for all fighters to attack the Imperial command ship, which damages the Death Star and would leave the other Imperial ships leaderless and stunned for at least a minute or two.

Bottom line, Lando and Ackbar are both pretty badarse.Ackbar is being given a lot more credit here than is deserved, I think. Ackbar's own briefing made clear just how important the mission to Endor was, how if they didn't succeed there, they were going to witness the extinction of countless planets and likely the alliance would have to buckle to the Emperor. Yet your idea of Ackbar's "caution" is to immediately abandon the fight at the first sign of trouble. Ackbar knows exactly how difficult the shield mission is and how small the strike force is, that they have to move slowly, and Ackbar also knows Han's reputation for eventually getting the job done such as over DS1 or else he wouldn't be made a general. ROTJ suggests Han has been on the planet a total of 24 to 36 hours (there is 1 night sequence and 2 action sequences while Luke is shown, and there's no reason to think Luke has been standing around the Emperor's throne room any longer than the camera is on him), it's not hard to imagine a small stealth force moving slowly against a hardened facility manned by a legion of the Empire's best troopers (who are foolishly left at the front door). But whether a day or a week, Ackbar knows the stakes are final and chooses to bug out anyway.

I wasn't suggesting Ackbar should know the shield is up or down, I was pointing out how Lando saved the day there on top of the main points I'm making.

Ackbar gives no orders when the superlaser takes out one of his ships, they continue to just sit there and continue the same tactics that have already cost them and show no signs of stopping. He resists Lando's reaction to the situation, which is ultimately proven correct on several measures (keep in mind, once Ackbar finally does pull his cloaca back together, he uses Lando's strategy to send the Executor into the face of the Death Star, a heavy blow to the Imperial fleet as it watches its flagship burn).

What Luke did on the Moon of Endor was nothing. He ran to fight his daddy. Luke ultimately distracted Vader and Palpatine from the battle at hand though, that's a big deal. And if you go by the EU, that's an even bigger deal since Palps was using the Force to assist his admirals on the battlefield, giving them key Dark Side advantages when he paid attention.

Lando is like EC stated, a true pimp and mack daddy and also the saviour of the universe. Ackbar is good for one thing, realizing traps.Oh yeah, Ackbar is a true genius there. "The big scarygun is already working, the shield is up and jammed from sensors, and the bulk of the Imperial starfleet is coming out of hiding to cut us off... I wonder if this was all a trap?" Real impressive deductive reasoning there, Admiral Hors D'ouvres.

If they couldn't get a read on the shield why didn't they just shoot at it and see what happened?Nobody tries simple stuff in these sorts of situations. Also, if the shield is close to the hull, it won't look like much of anything when they fire either way, the small ships are like little needles against that backdrop.

NN pwns LC and AA.Wow, Nien Nunb did the job of anybody in the co-pilot seat, let's get him a medal post-haste!

I agree with 2-1B. Nien Numb is the main unsung hero of ROTJ; I love his alien accent too.It's not alien, it's a somewhat obscure Nigerian region dialect called Haya.

Although Lando did bring down the Empire, once again he failed Han by scratching up the Falcon...That's keeping it in perspective. :p

Kidhuman
12-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Luke ultimately distracted Vader and Palpatine from the battle at hand though, that's a big deal. And if you go by the EU, that's an even bigger deal since Palps was using the Force to assist his admirals on the battlefield, giving them key Dark Side advantages when he paid attention.

I dont go by EU, because that story came out long after ROTJ was made and minds were made up. Interjecting something into the storyline some 10+ years later is BS.

Luke didnt distract anyone. It was foreseen by the Emperor.

TheDarthVader
12-22-2009, 01:25 AM
Correction: I love Nien Numb's Haya-like accent then. :D He should have had more lines!

Background Character
12-22-2009, 04:21 AM
Sorry, you all have it wrong.

Lando didn't save the galaxy, it was R5-D4!

If R5-D4 hadn't blown his motivator, Luke would never have aquired R2 and been killed by the Stormtrooper visit at the Lar's Homestead. R2 would've been stuck with the Jawas and the Empire would've been successful with the first Death Star, etc. etc.

R5 D4, saviour of the universe.

El Chuxter
12-22-2009, 01:18 PM
If we're going back that far, it was all Teek, Kit Fisto, and 2-1B.

vger
12-22-2009, 08:13 PM

And the Imperial who decided not to waste ammo on the escape pod since there were "no life forms"

2-1B
12-22-2009, 10:54 PM

Yep, I think you covered all 3 bases right there.
They form a trilogy in their own right: Speed, Smiles, and Stunning Sexuality...that's Teek, Kit, and The Deuce in a nutshell.

Darth Metalmute
12-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Ackbar is good for one thing, realizing traps.

And being a spokesperson for a delicious cereal.

JediTricks
12-24-2009, 02:06 AM
Luke didnt distract anyone. It was foreseen by the Emperor.Then I guess the Emperor was the real hero of the saga, letting himself die like that. :p

Correction: I love Nien Numb's Haya-like accent then. :D He should have had more lines!It's not "Haya-like", it's actual Haya spoken by a native speaker speaking his actual language.

Sorry, you all have it wrong.

Lando didn't save the galaxy, it was R5-D4!

If R5-D4 hadn't blown his motivator, Luke would never have aquired R2 and been killed by the Stormtrooper visit at the Lar's Homestead. R2 would've been stuck with the Jawas and the Empire would've been successful with the first Death Star, etc. etc.

R5 D4, saviour of the universe.Sorry, this forum doesn't subscribe to the whole "Skippy the Jedi Droid (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Skippy_the_Jedi_Droid)" thing. ;)

And the Imperial who decided not to waste ammo on the escape pod since there were "no life forms""What, are we paying by the laser now?"

Bel-Cam Jos
12-24-2009, 11:17 AM
And Wedge gets nothing again. Didn't he fire the first missle at the main reactor?

What about graybearded General Crix "Is For Kids" Madine defecting from Imperial service, to hold a white '70s game show microphone while introducing Rebel battle plan speakers? That's age-ism!

JediTricks
12-24-2009, 03:44 PM
He got a handshake, right?

Wedge took out the power regulator on the north tower. It looks like it took out some sort of shielding, allowing the Falcon to take out the reactor itself. We don't actually know if Wedge got a medal or promotion for that, it's not like the Ewoks are going to hold a medal ceremony. ;)

Madine's awesome plan basically was a flop, and only succeeded by sheer luck and the tenacity of the generals on the strike force.

JimJamBonds
12-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Then I guess the Emperor was the real hero...

I say Darth Baine is the real hero. He started the "only two" business with the Sith, if it weren't for him the Sith would have died off and there would have been no Palpers and all of his shenanigan's, no Rebel alliance etc. DB is the true hero yo!

2-1B
12-26-2009, 04:12 PM
I say Darth Baine is the real hero. He started the "only two" business with the Sith, if it weren't for him the Sith would have died off and there would have been no Palpers and all of his shenanigan's, no Rebel alliance etc. DB is the true hero yo!

Hittin' the Xmas Eve grasshoppers a little early there, were ya? :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
12-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Hittin' the Xmas Eve grasshoppers a little early there, were ya? :thumbsup:

No Sir, it was a "dry" Christmas Eve for me.

TheDarthVader
01-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Sorry JT. Nien Numb's Haya language is cool. I hope that is a good enough correction. :D

The Skippy jedi droid story is just plain hilarious!!

JediTricks
01-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Nobody wants to recognize Lando is the Man.. do. (Not the Boba Fett kind)

JimJamBonds
01-14-2010, 10:45 PM
Nobody wants to recognize Lando is the Man.. do. (Not the Boba Fett kind)

I'm recognizing THE MAN that came well before Lando was even wearing short pants.