PDA

View Full Version : Worst Star Wars names

El Chuxter
12-14-2009, 05:45 PM
This has nothing to do with the characters, just the names. Which ones rub you the wrong way, and why?

For me, the winner is Count Dooku. Like I've said before, it sounds like the sewage auditing job no one wants. "Excuse me, Anakin, but this burrito isn't settling with my stomach. I have to go and count dooku."

For the EU, Vandolay (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vandolay). There's a place for decent homage, and there could've been a clever way to reference Seinfeld (A'bubot could've been a less obvious one that fans would get). But to tack George's alias on a Imperial grunt who looks nothing like Jason Alexander and for no reason, that is the definition of fail.

EU runner-up would be Soon Baytes (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Baytes). Honestly, man, that's just bad. I hope someone at Lucasfilm got fired over green-lighting that one.

Film runner-up, definitely Commander Cody (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDbON8udTPo). Cute. An homage to both a one-hit wonder and a forgotten serial. Ha ha. Beat us over the head with it, why don't you? Why weren't the other clone commanders called Commander Jan, Commander Dean, and Commander Carl Wilson and have them cruise around in an Intech Sloop John B-409?

I think Jango Fett has a pretty lousy name, too. That worked once, for junior. Not so much for daddy. It just lacks the ring of the original. "This is Boba Fett, the notorious bounty hunter. His father was Jango Fett. No, the bounty hunter Jango Fett, not the French jazz guitarist Django Fett."

Rocketboy
12-14-2009, 05:56 PM
General Grievous and Darth's Maul & Sidious are pretty terrible also.
Was Darth Evil too obvious?

Qui-Long Gone
12-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Jar Jar

Fisto isn't a winning name either....

El Chuxter
12-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Fisto is silly, but I kinda think "Kit Fisto" has a sort of goofy ring to it.

How about Padme, Sabe, Corde, Dorme, Eirtae, Rabe, Yane, Sache, Fe, Dane, Verse, Motee, Elle? Unless there's an official explanation that female Naboo names usually end in an accented letter 'E' (sort of like how names in Latin-based languages like Spanish or French end in a particular letter--unlikely given the names of Padme's two successors), or that the 'E' is actually a title, it's a little corny. "Oh, I'm sorry, Susan. You look just like me, and your military record is exemplary, as is your resume as an actress. However, I can't hire you as a handmaiden because your name ends in the wrong letter."

El Chuxter
12-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Come to think of it, as much as I hate to knock Ewoks, how about this:

Chirpa
Logray
Paploo
Teebo
Warok
Graak
Romba
Lumat
Tarfang
Kaink
Chuka-Trokh
Kneesa
Widdle
Nho'Apakk
Weechee
Deej...

Wicket W. Warrick???

Um, one of these things is not like the others.

Ando
12-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Even though I like the name Anakin, I thought it wasn't very fair to give a whiny *male* character a nickname like "Ani".

Old Fossil
12-14-2009, 09:11 PM
DJAS PUHR!!!

(Excuse me.) *wipes nose*

2-1B
12-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Han
Shmi
Yaddle

JediTricks
12-15-2009, 07:02 AM
There are a lot here already that bug me, all the Padme gals are way up there.

Pello Scrambas. I think the guy is cool, but that name stinks.

Wald and Kitster are waaaaay up my list.

Shmi is near the top.

Sio Bibble is a ridiculous name.

Queen Jamilla and Queen Apailana are both bad names.

Typho. Has a really bad flow to it, very weak and a little silly.

A lot of the "sounds like what it is" names, like Rannat and Voolvif Monn. The only one off the top of my head that works for me is Ree Yees, and that's probably just nostalgia.

Rocketboy
12-15-2009, 07:29 AM
Elan Sleazbaganno.

sebillba
12-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Jar Jar Binks sounds like a 4 year old made it up... which is pretty much what happened I think.

Can't believe Lucas got away with the racist Plo KOON or the homophobic Yarael POOF.

mabudonicus
12-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Great topic idea Chux ;)
Foul Moumadas (and remember I HATE the entire EU so I might not spell them all perfectly) which is already a word (in Arabic I think- for sure it means chick-peas tho)

Joh Yowza (wonderful, almost steaming racism- Yuzzum is also problematic but is a race name, so whatever)

I agree with pretty much everything else posted in the thread so far, I find anything that wasn't made up during the making of the OT is usually pretty silly. I prefer "Yak Face", say, over Saelt Marae, whereas Ephant Mon and Hermi Odle are kinda fun.

I also find the convention of intentionally making words (mostly proper names of planets, characters or species) unpronouncable (I think the idea is to make them to be downright stupid- while reading something just last night it made mention of a planet that is apparently "canon" that is spelled CHRSIEH or some such stupid thing, and I don't get the point. For instance, lots of countries have names that I would have a hard time pronouncing in the native tongue of the land- I can easily pronounce the "english names" of these countries, and most other languages have their own names for places that work within their own language. I guess what I'm saying is that it would make more sense to come up with pronouncable names for things.
:beard: Iso&Baws&Topes
Typho makes me think of a tropical affliction

bigbarada
12-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Kajain'sa'Nikto and Kadas'sa'Nikto are pretty idiotic.

In fact, I think the whole "apostrophe-overload" standard of EU names is incredibly ridiculous as well.

El Chuxter
12-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Ditto on the apostrophes, and on the "Basic" pronunciations and spellings. You'd think the humans transcribing these names out of what is like a totally alien alphabets would go for the simplest spelling possible. Spanish conquistadors didn't come to Mexico and write the name of the locals as "A'azhtk."

Also, though it wouldn't be entirely politically correct, think of some real-world examples. The common American term for people of native descent born anywhere south of the US is "Latino," based on the Latin roots of the Spanish language they (mostly) speak, which wasn't the case before around 1500. They don't go by any name commonly used in what we call Latin America, nor by the name of the pre-Colombian tribes from which they descended. So, using that as an example, why isn't there an alien race that's mostly referred to by some totally humanized name?

Back to Vandolay, wouldn't it be less blatant and a little more clever for him to be a corporal, and his name written as Cor. Art Felay (from Art Corfelay, the first alias George came up with, and forgot in favor of Art Vandelay)?

Background Character
12-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Ok, going to upset alot of people here, but how about one of the original stupidest names to actually have been said out loud in the original movie that started it all? Here goes, ( getting ready to dodge all the rotten vegetables):

GREEDO!

I guess his parent's knew that he would be money hungry.

Do you think if he was an alcoholic he would've been named THIRSTO?

His insatiable sister NYMPHO?

His cousin who doesn't clean up after himself SLOBBO?

Alright, guess I deserve to get some garbage thrown at me after those lame jokes.

El Chuxter
12-15-2009, 02:35 PM
No garbage thrown, because it is sort of a stupid name. I think the other Rodian names actually make it worse, though.

Greedo's brother (in ROTJ) is Beedo. Some random, unrelated female Rodian is Greeata. Then someone tried to get clever with the "-eedo" thing by naming one of the new band members "Doda Bodonawieedo." :rolleyes:

As if that's not bad enough, suddenly they dispense with the "-eedo" thing and you have Onaconda Farr and Navik the Red.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-15-2009, 03:12 PM
A lot of the "sounds like what it is" names, like Rannat and Voolvif Monn. The only one off the top of my head that works for me is Ree Yees, and that's probably just nostalgia.
I must be an idiot since I never connected Voolvif Monn to wolf man. I kind of like how Roron Corobb is based on Ron Cobb, who designed the Ithorians, though.

Can't believe Lucas got away with the racist Plo KOON or the homophobic Yarael POOF.
There's a reason they call him "Master Plo" in The Clone Wars. :D

Off the top of my head, some of the dumbest are Dllr Nep and Plourr Ilo, who are (or maybe were) coming in a comic pack together. Well, I guess the first is worse, since there are no damn vowels. Together, the names are consonant overload.

It also bugs me how Twi'leks are all given redone names, like how Aayla Secura is actually Aaylas'ecura. Does that mean it's actually Bibf'ortuna? Christ, how dumb. Same thing with how Labria is actually Kardue'sai'malloc, and Thrawn is actually Mitth'raw'nuruodo. The scourge of apostrophes in the EU must be stopped!

sebillba
12-15-2009, 03:17 PM
I must be an idiot since I never connected Voolvif Monn to wolf man.

It's just like Ephant Mon = Elephant Man and Mon Calamari is Calamari Man. Not sure about Mon Mothma... Mother of Man, maybe?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-15-2009, 03:19 PM
It's just like Ephant Mon = Elephant Man and Mon Calamari is Calamari Man. Not sure about Mon Mothma... Mother of Man, maybe?
I also somehow missed Calamari man. D'oh!

Another one I hate: Siruulian Phantele, which is Max Rebo's real name. Get it? Cerulian elephant? God, what a waste.

El Chuxter
12-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Mothman. Lucas was a huge Godzilla fan, and misremembered Mothra's name.

I think I read somewhere that "-una" was an honorific that could be stripped from a Twi'lek's name, and Bib Fortuna actually calls himself that in violation of Twi'lek law.

Not that Bib's name is bad, but I always found it funny. "This sushi is messy! I needs me a bib for tuna!" It's got a cool ring to it, though.

El Chuxter
12-15-2009, 03:26 PM
On the "obvious" front, I thought Senator Grebleips, though really obvious once you think about it (sdrawkcab ti gnilleps yrt), was a clever name. That's the way you reference something in the real world.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Typho. Has a really bad flow to it, very weak and a little silly.It was a misspelling. It was supposed to be Capt. Typo.

Yak Face? Walrusman? Squid Head? C'mon, show a little creativity.

JimJamBonds
12-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Tarfull is arefull.

Darth Jax
12-15-2009, 08:08 PM
It also bugs me how Twi'leks are all given redone names, like how Aayla Secura is actually Aaylas'ecura. Does that mean it's actually Bibf'ortuna? Christ, how dumb. Same thing with how Labria is actually Kardue'sai'malloc, and Thrawn is actually Mitth'raw'nuruodo. The scourge of apostrophes in the EU must be stopped!

I think I read somewhere that "-una" was an honorific that could be stripped from a Twi'lek's name, and Bib Fortuna actually calls himself that in violation of Twi'lek law.

One of the Twileks explains to Wedge in the X-Wing series (think it was in Krytos Trap) that running the names together is a honorific of sorts and also affects the "meaning" imparted by that name. Bib Fortuna is such scum that his name is kept apart as a way of dissociating him from the rest.

figrin bran
12-16-2009, 01:04 AM
Lott Dodd is pretty bad. Nothing/no one should ever be named after Trent Lott

As mentioned, Foul Moudama, Voolvif Mon, Ephant Mon aren't very good

Darth Malek's previous name, Alek Squinquargesimus or just "Squint", isn't great either.

I don't like Hondo Ohnaka or Onaconda Farr or Poggle the Lesser or Cad Bane either.

JimJamBonds
12-16-2009, 07:46 AM
[quote=Bel-Cam Jos;709673 Yak Face? Walrusman? Squid Head? C'mon, show a little creativity.[/quote]

Hammerhead?

RoonStones
12-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Great thread!

Oh geez, way to many to name. But if I can list a Top 10 Worst Names Given in Star Wars:

10. Ani - Anakin's wussy nickname. Dude, we all know he's supposed to grow up an become the iconic Bad-*** for a generation of children. Did Lucas REALLY have to emasculate him even further than what Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen already did via acting?

9. Darth Sidious - Ok, we know he's Palpatine, but the whole "let's use a negative adjective to descrive a Sith" was just dumb. Darth Tyranus, Darth Plagueus. I'm surprised we haven't gotten Darth Meanie or Darth Kantanquerous, or Darth Kyrmugen

8. Yaddle - a character that already looked like something more from Sesame Street, the name sounds like a diminutive nickname for Yoda, and completely takes away from the mystique that Yoda is a unique species.

7. Lumpy - Granted the Holiday Special isn't meant to be serious, and the name was later retconned into Lumpawaroo, but geez. Itchy? Lumpy? Surprised we didn't get Scratchy or Scabby.

6. Elan Sleazbaganno - No effort was done with this character that looked like a cross between those comic book sendaway Sea Monkeys and the stereotypical 1950s leather jacket-wearing bully. Plus the little One to Grow On episode of Obi Wan telling us not to smoke is an added sigh.

5. Bib Fortuna - An old one, but the name should not sound like a grammatically correct sentence with verb and direct noun.

4. John D (Red 4) - Not necessarily a "bad" name, but with all the crazy names thrown around, how the Hell do we get an ordinary Christian name thrown in there? Is there one planet where people are named Mike, Bob, Bill, George, and Kelly?

3. Dooku - I would have just preferred Darth Tyranus. And "Count" Dooku? It's like a bad horror serial, which I'm sure Lucas would try to argue was his point.

2. Dexter Jettster - Names shouldn't rhyme in Star Wars.

1. Jar Jar Binks - Stupid name, stupid character. Someone above me said a 4 year old probably came up with that name. I beleive I read somewhere that Lucas's kid did just that.

Ando
12-16-2009, 02:35 PM
10. Ani - Anakin's wussy nickname. Dude, we all know he's supposed to grow up an become the iconic Bad-*** for a generation of children. Did Lucas REALLY have to emasculate him even further than what Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen already did via acting?

Exactly what I said! Glad I wasn't the only one!

El Chuxter
12-16-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm surprised we haven't gotten Darth Meanie or Darth Kantanquerous, or Darth Kyrmugen

I'd give you a link to the aborted 2000 Holiday Special where you could read about Darth Jerk, but the page has been down for quite some time and Lucasfilm refuses to acknowledge it now.

RoonStones
12-16-2009, 04:10 PM
I'd give you a link to the aborted 2000 Holiday Special where you could read about Darth Jerk, but the page has been down for quite some time and Lucasfilm refuses to acknowledge it now.

LOL - Darth Jerk lol

sebillba
12-17-2009, 02:19 AM
Ok, going to upset alot of people here, but how about one of the original stupidest names to actually have been said out loud in the original movie that started it all? Here goes, ( getting ready to dodge all the rotten vegetables):

GREEDO!

Although Greedo is one of my favourite characters, I agree that on the surface, it sounds like a pretty dumb name, but I think it could actually be a clever little play on words...

Han is the heroic space cowboy, challenged by a slimy, ineffectual, possibly "illegal alien" bandit, who serves to make our hero look even cooler. In a western, this role would likely be filled by a Mexican called... Guido!!

Add the fact that he's greedy and green (both in colour and character), and Greedo is the perfect name for him!

Slicker
12-17-2009, 10:04 PM
I'd have to go with Jedi Master Bu Tsechs. Worst. Name. Ever.

richd
12-18-2009, 09:55 AM
I immediately thought of Elan Sleazbaganno. Does he have a cousin named "Edam Dirtbaganno" or maybe "Eron Scumbaganno"? Perhaps they could have been even more obvious and named him "Elan Drugdealeradoopie." Sigh.

Sio Bibble is also a bit silly, especially done as a James Bond introduction:

"Bibble . . . Sio Bibble"

How embarrassing!

Bel-Cam Jos
12-18-2009, 11:09 AM
What about all the "generic" names, like landspeeder, lightsaber, Death Star, sail barge? They're not "worst" level, just quite vague.

Ando
12-18-2009, 11:26 AM
What about all the "generic" names, like landspeeder, lightsaber, Death Star, sail barge? They're not "worst" level, just quite vague.

And blasters, don't forget the blasters!

mabudonicus
12-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Bel-Cam, my LEAST fave vehicle name has to be "Darth Mauls sith infiltrator", it is stupid on so many levels it hurts.
I wonder if it had "Sith Infiltrator" painted on the bow to keep it all secret-like

bigbarada
12-18-2009, 03:13 PM
Arvel Crynyd is a pretty crappy name. Too bad it's assigned to one of the coolest OT characters ever.

mtriv73
12-18-2009, 03:35 PM

Death Star is a horrible name. I guess it's better than megalaserspacestation though.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Bel-Cam, my LEAST fave vehicle name has to be "Darth Mauls sith infiltrator", it is stupid on so many levels it hurts.
I wonder if it had "Sith Infiltrator" painted on the bow to keep it all secret-likeNo, in true bumpersticker fashion, it said "My Sith Master is cuter than your Twi'Lek dancing girl." Or, maybe it was "Honk if your tatooed head is horny."

richd
12-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Death Star is a horrible name. I guess it's better than megalaserspacestation though.

Ah yes, all the "star" names: Death Star, Star Destroyer, Starkiller, Star Fighter . . . and then Battlestar Galactica came out with the Battlestar and the Base Star, and Starbuck.

And I suppose the "Sun Crusher" would technically be a "Star Destroyer" of sorts too, wouldn't it? LOL

bigbarada
12-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Xizor is probably one of the worst Star Wars names.... ever.

Primarily because I remember reading an early interview from George Lucase where he said something about it being really common for sci-fi writers to use a lot of "x"s and "z"s in their character's names because they thought it would make them seem more exotic. Lucas specifically said that he tried to avoid that trap at all costs and here we have an EU character with an "x" and a "z" in his name.:rolleyes:

2-1B
12-18-2009, 10:39 PM
good call bigB, and how the eff is that pronounced, anyway?

"She Zore" ?

Lame.

TeeEye7
12-19-2009, 04:31 AM
Chuck Norris should have been cast as a Jedi. He'd be so bad ***ed, we would have been the Jedi With No Name.

bigbarada
12-20-2009, 09:52 PM
good call bigB, and how the eff is that pronounced, anyway?

"She Zore" ?

Lame.

I think it's "Cheese-Ore." :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-21-2009, 12:31 AM
I recall overhearing one guy at a Celebration referring to the character as "Suck-zor." Perhaps not the most clever name, but very appropriate nonetheless.

JEDIpartner
12-23-2009, 08:13 PM
For me, the winner is Count Dooku. Like I've said before, it sounds like the sewage auditing job no one wants. "Excuse me, Anakin, but this burrito isn't settling with my stomach. I have to go and count dooku."

Well, the thing was that it wasn't supposed to pronounced "DOO-koo" when it started. It was supposed to be "DOE-koo", which is the Japanese word for "poison". While that's not an amazing name, at least it's a little better. LOL

JediTricks
01-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Qui-Gon Jinn isn't a very good name. It flows ok though after you get used to it, better than some.

Ki-Adi-Mundi, why the hell does this coneheady monday jerk get 1 name made up of 3 hyphenated names?

Jar Jar Binks sounds like a 4 year old made it up... which is pretty much what happened I think.Actually, Jett Lucas made up "Gungan", George Lucas made up "Jar Jar Binks". Sad.

I also find the convention of intentionally making words (mostly proper names of planets, characters or species) unpronouncable (I think the idea is to make them to be downright stupid- while reading something just last night it made mention of a planet that is apparently "canon" that is spelled CHRSIEH or some such stupid thing, and I don't get the point. For instance, lots of countries have names that I would have a hard time pronouncing in the native tongue of the land- I can easily pronounce the "english names" of these countries, and most other languages have their own names for places that work within their own language. I guess what I'm saying is that it would make more sense to come up with pronouncable names for things.Agreed.

Kajain'sa'Nikto and Kadas'sa'Nikto are pretty idiotic.

In fact, I think the whole "apostrophe-overload" standard of EU names is incredibly ridiculous as well.Motherf'in' Agr'eed!!! ;)

I must be an idiot since I never connected Voolvif Monn to wolf man. I kind of like how Roron Corobb is based on Ron Cobb, who designed the Ithorians, though.Wait, are you saying the Wolfman designed Lak Sivrak? ;)

On the "obvious" front, I thought Senator Grebleips, though really obvious once you think about it (sdrawkcab ti gnilleps yrt), was a clever name. That's the way you reference something in the real world.I always felt it kinda fit the character, they got lucky that Spielberg's name didn't have too much weirdness backwards.

Tarfull is arefull.:thumbsup:

Great thread!

Oh geez, way to many to name. But if I can list a Top 10 Worst Names Given in Star Wars:

9. Darth Sidious - Ok, we know he's Palpatine, but the whole "let's use a negative adjective to descrive a Sith" was just dumb. Darth Tyranus, Darth Plagueus. I'm surprised we haven't gotten Darth Meanie or Darth Kantanquerous, or Darth Kyrmugen

8. Yaddle - a character that already looked like something more from Sesame Street, the name sounds like a diminutive nickname for Yoda, and completely takes away from the mystique that Yoda is a unique species.

7. Lumpy - Granted the Holiday Special isn't meant to be serious, and the name was later retconned into Lumpawaroo, but geez. Itchy? Lumpy? Surprised we didn't get Scratchy or Scabby.

6. Elan Sleazbaganno - No effort was done with this character that looked like a cross between those comic book sendaway Sea Monkeys and the stereotypical 1950s leather jacket-wearing bully. Plus the little One to Grow On episode of Obi Wan telling us not to smoke is an added sigh.

5. Bib Fortuna - An old one, but the name should not sound like a grammatically correct sentence with verb and direct noun.

4. John D (Red 4) - Not necessarily a "bad" name, but with all the crazy names thrown around, how the Hell do we get an ordinary Christian name thrown in there? Is there one planet where people are named Mike, Bob, Bill, George, and Kelly?

3. Dooku - I would have just preferred Darth Tyranus. And "Count" Dooku? It's like a bad horror serial, which I'm sure Lucas would try to argue was his point.

2. Dexter Jettster - Names shouldn't rhyme in Star Wars.

1. Jar Jar Binks - Stupid name, stupid character. Someone above me said a 4 year old probably came up with that name. I beleive I read somewhere that Lucas's kid did just that.Good list!

What about all the "generic" names, like landspeeder, lightsaber, Death Star, sail barge? They're not "worst" level, just quite vague.I think they're awesome. I hate hate HATE that Lucas included "laser sword" in the prequel dialogue though, worst phrase ever, sounds awful and has connotations of dollar-bin toys.