PDA

View Full Version : Why is MySpace dying and Facebook the default social network today?

Tycho
12-17-2009, 02:04 PM
I use both sites, simply because of the reality that prompted the title to this thread.

These days, MySpace has caught up with many of Facebook's starting benefits, and Facebook is looking more and more like MySpace.

I've heard the old speak that Facebook is more "adult" or "mature" than MySpace but would people please clarify what they think that means.

On MySpace you can decorate your personal page - that's true. I've done a Queensryche theme and a pirate theme before.

But in MySpace settings, you can make it so that intensive graphics or music that your friends post on their sites don't download when you visit their pages. I think that's new though. Users might have been driven away from MySpace prior to that when they learned their friend was a raging fan of polka music or something to their distaste. (I saved these music pages from artists who sing about diarhea and vomitting for use later, whenever I get sick from those Nickelback and Linkin Park songs I've been running on MySpace.)

Now Facebook connects you to friends of friends so you can link up your whole posse as well as change privacy settings so that employers can't see your party pictures. But MySpace has caught on to that too. But did they do it too late? Or are these things cyclical and will people return to MySpace when they get really sick of Farmville and Virtual Aquarium updates?

El Chuxter
12-17-2009, 02:27 PM
I'd imagine it was because MySpace made these changes so late in the game. They also haven't really publicized their changes. I stopped using MySpace ages ago because the constant displays of tackiness made my head hurt. I didn't realize there was a way to turn these things off until you posted it here.

Facebook started out more professional in nature, geared toward college students. It expanded beyond that, but seems to have expanded more toward adults first, rather than kids, who have always been the focus of MySpace. It still retains the look, though the more recent influx of kids has sorta "dumbed down" Facebook (for lack of a better term).

The suggestions feature, which I don't believe MySpace has, is pretty useful for finding people, too.

BTW, the most useful thing to know about Facebook: when you get a Farmville update (or an update from Mafia Wars or anything else that clogs your feed), click on "Hide," and you'll never see updates from that program again. Now if there was a way to hide moronic updates from relatives in high school without hiding the person entirely....

Ando
12-17-2009, 02:49 PM
I am on both, but I prefer Facebook over MySpace.

I like the layout of Facebook better and it's not clunky like MySpace. I use Facebook to catch up with old friends and love seeing how small a world it really is with mutual friends who I would never guess in a million years that they would know each other.

DarthQuack
12-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Ditched my MySpace over a year ago or so. Facebook is taken it's place.

bigbarada
12-17-2009, 02:59 PM
MySpace seems to have been taken over by spammers. While there might be some on Facebook, it doesn't seem to be nearly as big of a problem.

LTBasker
12-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Myspace is bloated and a little too user-friendly. I don't care all that much about either site, but at least on facebook I don't have to worry about looking up an old friend, and checking their page only to be bombarded by a thousand - or more - glitter graphics.

Plus, myspace seems to be far more infested with spambots, viruses (thanks to the too user-friendly customization), and Tom never writes me anymore. Facebook has started to become more annoying to use, though, as they attempt to introduce a hundred new features that are poorly implemented.

Tycho
12-17-2009, 03:14 PM
The suggestions feature, which I don't believe MySpace has, is pretty useful for finding people, too.

MySpace has that now.

BTW Chuxter, I did not know you could turn Farmville and the likes off. Thanks so much. It is really annoying.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-17-2009, 05:16 PM
I, too, switched a few years ago. The music players and obnoxious graphics that took forever to load got really old. Add to that the spammers, flashing ads, and the fact that pretty much everyone had moved on to Facebook anyway, I left Myspace behind.

JetsAndHeels
12-17-2009, 05:24 PM
I, too, switched a few years ago. The music players and obnoxious graphics that took forever to load got really old. Add to that the spammers, flashing ads, and the fact that pretty much everyone had moved on to Facebook anyway, I left Myspace behind.

This pretty much sums up why I prefer Facebook. Myspace may be visually appealing, but it has no substance.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-17-2009, 06:11 PM
I only created a FB page of my own to have access to another page. But mine is quite the "basic" look.

Rocketboy
12-17-2009, 06:58 PM
BTW Chuxter, I did not know you could turn Farmville and the likes off. Thanks so much. It is really annoying.It was the greatest day of my Facebook life when I discovered I could do that. Now if only people would stop posting screencaps of their farms (I'm looking at you Barry :yes:) or mafia jobs (Scott :yes:).

I still have my Myspace but I never use it. I check it maybe once a month. I only keep it because there are a few groups/friends/musicians that aren't on Facebook, especially musicians (where I can rip the streaming audio that's unavailable for purchase).
Myspace became far too cluttered and over-customizable. I got really tired of 7 videos, 2 songs & goofy effects all going at once and slowing down my browser. Any changes they've made are too little, too late. Myspace really should have kept thing simple with only basic customizations. They also needed to put strict restrictions on all the spam. Allowing all that nonsense is what drove so many people away.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-17-2009, 08:18 PM
I first heard about MySpace when I was still living at home. I was in AOL chatrooms and people would post links to their pages, but they would often crash AOL since my computer was a bit outdated and I had dialup. It worked better if I copied the URL to an external browser, but still the sites often had too much stuff on them, or the backgrounds made it hard to read the text (I still see that on some sites today). I only set up an account there because I thought I might use it to promote my internet radio station, but I never did that much. I finally joined Facebook a little over a year ago. It has some annoying things as well, but the site design is nicer.

One thing I never understood on MySpace is the messages people would post on there. Some of them seemed more like messages that would be better suited in a personal message or e-mail.

I don't have a huge number of Facebook friends because I don't add people unless they have done a friend request of me. Luckily, most of the people I have added don't post much or at all, and the ones that do post a lot are sometimes interesting to keep up with what's going on.

Tycho
12-17-2009, 08:44 PM
I don't have a huge number of Facebook friends because I don't add people unless they have done a friend request of me. Luckily, most of the people I have added don't post much or at all, and the ones that do post a lot are sometimes interesting to keep up with what's going on.

I generally keep my SSG friends and my Facebook friends seperate because I can't follow everyone's "updates" on Facebook now and I have this site I can talk to folks from SSG on - uh because IT IS SSG - and Facebook to keep up with everyone else. There are 3 or so cross-overs only because I know them personally outside of SSG - and yeah BobaFrett is the Farmville Master over there ;)

I've added a few others on Facebook because it was polite when they friend-requested me, but I might drop them when they aren't looking - not to be rude, but just because it's too many to keep up with and I don't want to ignore anyone if they post something cool or important.

To me it's far more managable if you have less than 100 friends on your FB page.

On MySpace I used to add everyone, but they are dropping off as people close their MySpace accounts. I also have added folks from the kidney support group I joined over there, as well as Queensryche's fan club.

bobafrett
12-18-2009, 07:21 PM
It was the greatest day of my Facebook life when I discovered I could do that. Now if only people would stop posting screencaps of their farms (I'm looking at you Barry :yes:) or mafia jobs (Scott :yes:).

There are 3 or so cross-overs only because I know them personally outside of SSG - and yeah BobaFrett is the Farmville Master over there ;)
Yes, I am addicted to the Farmville, and the Yoville. It drives my wife nuts, but that might start falling off those two, when I join the gym, to start getting my fat rear end into shape.

On MySpace I used to add everyone, but they are dropping off as people close their MySpace accounts. I also have added folks from the kidney support group I joined over there, as well as Queensryche's fan club.

So you have folks from the kidney page on Myspace on Facebook? I'm really hungry, and in need of a trip to the fine eatries around here.

Tycho
12-18-2009, 09:56 PM
So you have folks from the kidney page on Myspace on Facebook?

No. I'm keeping the info on my transplant on Facebook private indefinitely.

Also, like I said, I'm limiting the friends "I follow" on Facebook generally to people I know in real life. It could easily get overwhelming to worry about everyone.

And I actually spend more of my online time here on SSG, so I can pretty much keep up to date with the other folks I am virtual (or phone) friends with from this site here.

El Chuxter
07-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Looks like as good a place as any to post this question:

Is there a way to tell Facebook not to use the friends of a particular friend when coming up with suggestions for people you might know? I keep getting suggestions based on family members who have large friends lists, and whom I know no one in common with.

The feature used to be quite useful, but I really don't need every sister in the sorority chapter my cousin (whom I barely know) is a member. And, once you go through a day's worth of suggestions, you have to wait anywhere from a day to a week to get more.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Wait; you get requests to be your friend on FB? I sure wish... :kicksdirt: :rolleyes:

There are "Block List" and "Controlling How You Share" options under Privacy Settings, Chux. Those might have an advanced setting to try. Maybe.

You get friend requests...? :sad: ;)

El Chuxter
07-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Not requests. They're suggestions of people you might know. Trouble is, if you have anyone with a lot of friends on there, you get suggestions for everyone they know, and there's no way (that I know of) to tell Facebook to not send suggestions based on those people.

Mad Slanted Powers
07-17-2010, 03:43 PM
I don't even look at the suggestions. I had to think a moment to try and find that spot. What I do get once in a while is someone else suggesting I should be friends with someone. I've also got a few friend requests from people I don't know via Invite Tool or something, one of which had the name written in Arabic. I messaged this one girl to see if I knew her from someplace, but didn't get a response.

Ando
07-18-2010, 01:46 AM
I check the friend suggestions all the time. It's always surprising to me how small a world it really is. Especially when I find someone who knows multiple people that I know from various parts/times of my life.

Tycho
07-18-2010, 05:26 AM
I get suggestions and even direct requests all the time and I usually ignore them, clearing them every once in a while.

I have less than 70 friends on Facebook intentionally. Everyone does not need to know all my business and I like to have a private site.

Mostly I've added friends that I know in person from my real life to my FB page but I also set up another FB page for me as a professional author here, which everyone can add by "liking it" (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Joshua-Adam-Weiselberg-The-Author/117114551640217) and then they can communicate with me on FB if they need to, check out my pictures and videos, etc.

It would help me show a publisher that I'm making a serious effort to market myself if I have a "friend collection" on this professional page that follows my progress as I attempt to become a known novelist.

But I can only "suggest it ACTUALLY ON FACEBOOK" to my friends on my personal site on Facebook. Everyone else has to be referred to it by their friends on FB or by other means (like my shameless plug in this thread above).

However, I will list my pro-FB page in the actual novel when it comes out in the bookstores.

But I actually try and read my personal friends (non-Farmville) updates on FB as I have time, so that I may respond from time to time. I can barely do that with nearly 70 friends, I don't want a network with hundreds or 1,000!

Bel-Cam Jos
07-18-2010, 07:03 PM
I've yet to initiate any FB friends requests, so those suggestions aren't going to persuade me to do that, too. I can interact more personally with those who want to talk with me (and vice versa) without posting stuff for anyone to see (like Tycho said). My face never even appears on it.

JimJamBonds
10-03-2011, 10:38 AM
They both suck...and Twitter probably sucks even more then FB or MS.

Blue2th
10-03-2011, 11:49 AM
First Myspace, now Faceplant. They both forgot Gene Simmons golden rule...KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid!