PDA

View Full Version : Lucas loses Stormtrooper helmet court battle

JediTricks
12-18-2009, 04:20 PM
http://www.studiobriefing.net/studiobriefing.net/FILM_NEWS/Entries/2009/12/17_LUCAS_LOSES_BATTLE_OVER_STORMTROOPERS_HELMETS.h tml

For those who don't know, we've been covering this story for the last few years:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=10&p2_articleid=399
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=10&p2_articleid=1585

This is madness. They're saying that the design isn't artistic but industrial? That would set a precedent against ANY movie prop being protected.

elvandrik
12-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Congrats to the little guy!! Lucas has enough money that I don't think his children will starve anytime soon. In the meantime, we might actually get a chance to buy reasonably priced replica helmets!! WHHOOTT!!

bobafrett
12-18-2009, 07:11 PM
I don't know if that sucks or not.

bigbarada
12-19-2009, 01:36 AM
Seriously, why doesn't Lucas just work with the guy instead of trying to crush him? I would rather buy a replica helmet from someone who was involved in making the original props than some upstart company.

JediTricks
12-30-2009, 12:19 AM
Because Ainsworth was selling the helmets without license when this came up. He never asked for the license, never made sure the quality best represented the brand, he just sold off of his old mold (I've read rumors that they are actually copies of copies at this point, but I cannot speak to that).

2-1B
12-30-2009, 08:05 AM
I wonder what the original tooling life was for that mold and how many shots he got out of it? I'd just be curious to know how well they built it...if they only tooled it up to make a movie (and then 2 more after that?) then I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't originals anymore.

Neuroleptic
12-30-2009, 09:49 AM
Honestly, I kinda am glad to hear they're going with the guy who wants to sell these things at a price people can actualy afford. As much as I like star wars collectibles, I'm getting very tired of paying far more than I know they are worth.

JediTricks
01-04-2010, 08:15 PM
I wonder what the original tooling life was for that mold and how many shots he got out of it? I'd just be curious to know how well they built it...if they only tooled it up to make a movie (and then 2 more after that?) then I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't originals anymore.Ainsworth's tooling was only meant for ANH, the helmets changed makers and design for the sequels.

bigbarada
01-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Because Ainsworth was selling the helmets without license when this came up. He never asked for the license, never made sure the quality best represented the brand, he just sold off of his old mold (I've read rumors that they are actually copies of copies at this point, but I cannot speak to that).

Well, the photos on his site look amazing. Light years better than anything I've seen from a licensed Lucasfilm prop replica company. Obviously Lucas worked with him in the past and owes some of his success to Ainsworth. So why not just give him the license?

sith_killer_99
01-06-2010, 12:15 AM
I don't know if that sucks or not.

I'm with you, one the one hand, it has the potential to force down prices of expensive prop replicas, but at the same time, I see lots and lots of cheap knock offs hitting the streets.:sad:

JediTricks
01-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Well, the photos on his site look amazing. Light years better than anything I've seen from a licensed Lucasfilm prop replica company. Obviously Lucas worked with him in the past and owes some of his success to Ainsworth. So why not just give him the license?Lucas worked with Ainsworth's company to create tooling for the movie props on ANH, but Ainsworth didn't design the look of the helmet itself. It's basically that the British studio Lucas was working at didn't have enough manpower, so they had to hire outside firms to supplement the efforts. So it's like saying Lucas owes the person who sewed the Chewbacca costume together a significant amount of his success, or the local craftsmen who put the windshield wipers into the Stormtrooper blaster barrels. Ainsworth doesn't have a license partly because of this quality:
http://www.rebelscum.com/euroscum/sds_stunttrooperreview.asp

bigbarada
05-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Lucas worked with Ainsworth's company to create tooling for the movie props on ANH, but Ainsworth didn't design the look of the helmet itself. It's basically that the British studio Lucas was working at didn't have enough manpower, so they had to hire outside firms to supplement the efforts. So it's like saying Lucas owes the person who sewed the Chewbacca costume together a significant amount of his success, or the local craftsmen who put the windshield wipers into the Stormtrooper blaster barrels. Ainsworth doesn't have a license partly because of this quality:
http://www.rebelscum.com/euroscum/sds_stunttrooperreview.asp

I see your point. But I look at the helmets produced by Ainsworth and they look perfect to me. And the fact that he helped create the helmets that were actually used in the filming of Star Wars just adds a legitimacy to his work that doesn't exist when you buy a helmet from a company like eFX or Master Replicas.

I'm actually doing some preliminary research into Ainsworth's work now, because I'm considering picking up his TIE Pilot helmet. I think it would cost a total of $1100 for the helmet, chestbox, tubes and armored vest, if bought at the same time. It's about $700 for the helmet alone. Which seems to be a lot, but I think the TIE Pilots are cool enough to be worth it for me. The only other Star Wars helmet that I would even consider dropping over $500 on would be an A-Wing Pilot helmet.

Here's a cool video I found that goes into more detail about Ainsworth's involvement in the creation of the TIE Pilot helmets:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMK_mv8z-iQ

Again, if I was going to buy a replica SW helmet from anyone, it would be this guy.

bigbarada
05-11-2010, 10:07 PM
I see lots and lots of cheap knock offs hitting the streets.:sad:

Can they seriously get much worse than the cheapo Don Post and Rubies helmets?