PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a song, and could use some help

El Chuxter
12-28-2009, 02:08 PM
The other day, I was in a World Market store, and I heard a song piped in on their in-store radio. If you've never been to one, they sell mostly junk and overpriced imported food, but the music is always good, and very esoteric. The people in the store had no idea what it was. Luckily (?), this was a cover of a song I know pretty well, so I was able to search Amazon and iTunes, but with no luck.

Internet searches and consultations with friends who may as well be walking music encyclopedias were also fruitless, so I contacted their corporate office. As anyone who's ever e-mailed a corporation knows, they typically like to blow you off and be done with you, but, occasionally, you can get someone helpful. Sadly, I did not. I was told that the music was provided by a satellite service, they have no information whatsoever, and I would've had to have asked a store associate to check a computer while the song was still on. (Funny, complete opposite of what the people in the store told me, and guess who I believe here.) Follow-up requests for any contact information or even the name for the satellite service appear to have been ignored.

What I'm looking for is a cover of Elvis Presley's "A Little Less Conversation," done in a slower tempo, with a more-or-less folk rock sound. The beat seemed to have a slight touch of a reggae influence. The vocalist sounded a lot like Eric Clapton, circa 1972--I could even have believed this was 1972 Clapton, except I know he never recorded this song.

Any information at all would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to be able to track down this tune. Since World Market plays a lot of "world music," it could be from just about anywhere on Earth.

Darth Jax
12-28-2009, 06:12 PM
BossHoss (a german cowboy band) did a cover of it. they take american hits and play them with a slight country/western sound to it. don't know if it's the version you're looking for or not.

Rocketboy
12-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Youtube turned up a cover by "Brandtstifter1 & Kris Shred (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbJN644jtGo)" which meets some of the criteria you mentioned.

El Chuxter
12-29-2009, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the info, but I found both of those. Not exactly what I'm looking for, but pretty cool.

The closest thing I can find to what I heard is the 1972 (?) version by the original songwriter, Mac Davis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eesz1KdDRek). (I guess he wrote it for Elvis and only recorded it himself a while later.)

Ah well. C'est la vie. Not like it's life and death, or anything.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Oh, that last song you're looking for is by Robbie Nevel [sp?], Chux.