PDA

View Full Version : Deluxe Line Coming to Legacy

DarkJedi5
12-29-2009, 02:53 PM
I saw pictures on another site of a TRU exclusive deluxe set from the OT. I'll link a photo here when Sirsteves gets a photo up. Basically, it looks like a scout trooper with a speederbike. From the looks of it (packaged) it looks like the same old VTSC scout trooper and the POTF2 speederbike with a new paint scheme. Question: would anyone here buy this? The next speederbike I'm buying is an all new tool and I'll buy multiples but this looks like an easy pass.

bigbarada
12-29-2009, 02:56 PM
Yeah, that's kind of an odd looking set since the paint scheme on the bike is not at all accurate for ROTJ.

El Chuxter
12-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Looks almost like a Hoth-style Speeder Bike.

pbarnard
12-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Way to kill a line before it begins. Same terrible bike, and the figure that's almost been done to death. What, couldn't find a way to include a CommTech Han or Vader or a Saesee Tiin with the speeder bike either? For that they killed comic packs?

gba88
12-29-2009, 04:20 PM
wow, great news...not. so we get a rehashed OLD speederbike, the same bikerscout for the billionth time and all the while, the "never to be released again" yavin battlepack is going for 3x retail on ebay. life is good for the SW collector.

El Chuxter
12-29-2009, 04:27 PM
I wonder, since Marshall's and Ross and TJ Maxx got some of the Evolutions sets and the GIJoe DVD sets (including the insanely rare #5), if the Yavin set will wind up there for half price. Or if it really was made in such low numbers. Being a mid-year item, I suspect the latter. :(

Titan529
12-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Theres also a picture on another site of a deluxe STAP with battle droid. Not sure what the rule on other sites names or whatnot is so...

DarkArtist
12-29-2009, 04:43 PM
kinda looks like the original paint scheme from the old Kenner days..maybe a throwback ? if it's a Hoth paint scheme then perhaps it's coming out for the 30th of Empire ? either way it's a way and see for me. would rather a complete redo of the bike and trooper.

bigbarada
12-29-2009, 04:56 PM
kinda looks like the original paint scheme from the old Kenner days..maybe a throwback ?

The vintage bike was tan, not grey.

clone157
12-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Or if they find the sculpts for the handlebars from the original clone wars speederbikes. I just wish we could get some classic mini rigs. I could use several of those designs in most of my dioramas.

JediTricks
12-29-2009, 05:16 PM
The speederbike set is a TRU exclusive, so perhaps not a "line" yet. TRU charges $20 a pop for these lame deluxes too, so it's even harder to justify.

This set is pointless. Same lesser-than ancient speeder bike in a new color that seems to come from nowhere, same "ok but not as good as folks make out" figure. We need updates to both pretty badly. There's no way I'm paying $20 for this set, it offers absolutely nothing to me.

gba88
12-29-2009, 06:19 PM
just out of curiosity, what were the last "deluxe" packs that ppl considered worth picking up?

JediTricks
12-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Do you mean line-to-line comparisons, or the last deluxe figure itself? I'd say most folks dig the Freeco Bike at $16, but nothing else in the current deluxe line holds up (and I don't think the Freeco itself does either, but that's already a different thread).

As for the last acceptable deluxe line, I'd say it's Saga Ultra. $10 got you the Ewok with Glider, or Jabba with railing, or the Wampa with ice pillar, or non-chrome 3PO with Escape Pod, or General John Kerry... ok, they weren't all winners.

Deluxe pricepoint switched to Vintage-Style figures for a while after that, which isn't really the same thing.

ROTS Deluxe was a pretty weak offering overall.

I'd say Deluxe concepts have NEVER worked particularly well in the modern line. There have been a handful of gems, but mostly it's flops.

Darth Jax
12-29-2009, 07:05 PM
i have enough speederbikes. i'll not buy another until it gets completely resculpted.

LTBasker
12-29-2009, 07:06 PM
I'd have to agree though that the Ultra line was probably the best set of deluxe, with only a couple (John Kerry & HDTV, and 3PO & Mini-Pod) were weak. The Wampa was probably the best as not only was it the first new Wampa since the cheesy vintage one, but it also had a decent arm removal, and it interacted with the piece that came with Saga Hoth Luke. I wish they would do something like that more often, as it still makes for a great display.

I'd say since POTF2, these have been the best/most worthwhile deluxe.
1. Wampa w/ ice base
2. Luke in Bacta Tank
3. Crab Droid (ROTS release)
4. Jabba w/ Dias rail
5. B'Omarr w/ new Palace creatures
6. Ewok w/ Glider
7. Clone 3-pack (depending on which set, 1-2 of the variations could drop it a place)
8. Durge w/ Speederbike
9. Leia w/ Cannon
10. Rebel w/ Cannon

JediTricks
12-29-2009, 07:37 PM
I like that Escape Pod set. I don't like the "Jabba's parade of weird crap" set though.

1. Wampa w/ ice base
2. Luke in Bacta Tank
3. Crab Droid (ROTS release)
4. Jabba w/ Dias rail
5. B'Omarr w/ new Palace creatures
6. Ewok w/ Glider
7. Clone 3-pack (depending on which set, 1-2 of the variations could drop it a place)
8. Durge w/ Speederbike
9. Leia w/ Cannon
10. Rebel w/ Cannon Nice list of deluxes, let's see how my ordered-by-date-only version stacks up...

- Hoth Rebel Soldier with anti-vehicle laser (POTF2)
- Probe Droid
- Snowtrooper with E-web cannon
- Slave Leia with Deck Cannon (POTJ)
- Clone Trooper with Speederbike (Saga Dlx)
- Wampa (Saga Ultra)
- Ewok Glider
- Jabba
- 3PO with Escape Pod
- Durge with Swoop (CWms)
- Vader w/ Table (ROTS)

I couldn't do an ordered list, it's hard to decide between the Ultras, and Durge, and the Probe Droid, and Leia, and the sorely underlooked Clone w/ Speederbike and removable armor.

There are a few more I wanted to put on my list but couldn't justify, like Dlx Grievous, Luke Bacta tank, Saga 3PO vs Battle Droid (you know, before Hasbro oversaturated the market on these molds), playdoh Super Battle Droid.

gba88
12-29-2009, 08:55 PM
Great lists guys! I never really bought many deluxe or ultra sets, and just wanted some input. I prob like the bacta tank and escape pod set the best. Ultimately though, I think this pricepoint is difficult because it can be a tough sell for parents, and collectors expect a good bit more for the higher price. So, you end up with hasbro trying to incorporate "features" to sell to kids, but when the kids don't buy, they're left over for the collectors who just aren't "feeling" most of these. That's just a theory though :)

morpheus282
12-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Speaking of the deluxe escape pod set, has anyone else realized that the pod fits perfectly into the BMF "fighter" bay?

bigbarada
12-29-2009, 09:00 PM
As much as I would love an all new Speeder Bike, at this point I would settle for a rerelease of the 2002 Saga Speeder Bike in ROTJ colors (with less rubbery plastic too). THAT would get me to buy this set, but right now this is an extremely easy pass for me.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-29-2009, 09:12 PM
As much as I would love an all new Speeder Bike, at this point I would settle for a rerelease of the 2002 Saga Speeder Bike in ROTJ colors (with less rubbery plastic too). THAT would get me to buy this set, but right now this is an extremely easy pass for me.
They apparently can't find the mold for that, so it's not going to happen, unfortunately.

I'll get this, even though it's not particularly exciting. If they continue this line in the realistic style, I wonder what else they'll do?

JediTricks
12-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Speaking of the deluxe escape pod set, has anyone else realized that the pod fits perfectly into the BMF "fighter" bay?No, that never occurred to me. If my Falcon wasn't facing the other way, I'd totally try this right now. But I don't want to get up and pick it up right now, it's a bit much for my sick lungs.

As much as I would love an all new Speeder Bike, at this point I would settle for a rerelease of the 2002 Saga Speeder Bike in ROTJ colors (with less rubbery plastic too). THAT would get me to buy this set, but right now this is an extremely easy pass for me.Tragically, they lost this mold.

morpheus282
12-30-2009, 10:13 AM
No, that never occurred to me. If my Falcon wasn't facing the other way, I'd totally try this right now. But I don't want to get up and pick it up right now, it's a bit much for my sick lungs.

Tragically, they lost this mold.

I thought about it a few weeks ago, but the pod was in storage and I didn't feel like digging it out. I was rotating some items in and out of display on Festivus and came across the pod. Since my daughter has her falcon out in the open and easily reachable I gave it a quick try. It makes a lot more sense to me to have the pod in there than the mini fighter, but Hasbro didn't feel the same.

DarkJedi5
12-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Tragically, they lost this mold.

I wish they'd lose the POTF speederbike mold! Though, I'm sure it's seen more uses than the Millennium Falcon did, and while that one was older shouldn't this one be deteriorating to the point it needs a BMF style treatment as well?

Devo
12-30-2009, 03:10 PM
HAHA! They lost the 2002 mold?? I find that hilarious! They got one use out of it and uh-oh its gone. lol

gba88
12-30-2009, 04:15 PM
HAHA! They lost the 2002 mold?? I find that hilarious! They got one use out of it and uh-oh its gone. lol

Hmmmm............. anyone ever recall seeing a 2002 speederbike mold on ebay? LOL

JediTricks
12-30-2009, 06:58 PM
I thought about it a few weeks ago, but the pod was in storage and I didn't feel like digging it out. I was rotating some items in and out of display on Festivus and came across the pod. Since my daughter has her falcon out in the open and easily reachable I gave it a quick try. It makes a lot more sense to me to have the pod in there than the mini fighter, but Hasbro didn't feel the same.The mini-fighter is meant to help sell the BMF to kids. It's "whooshable" where the Falcon itself isn't, and has "aggressive styling" (aka spring-loaded missiles) to further appeal to the tots... and Tycho. :p I'm not in love with their escape pod, but I do like the sounds when removing and replacing. :D

I wish they'd lose the POTF speederbike mold! Though, I'm sure it's seen more uses than the Millennium Falcon did, and while that one was older shouldn't this one be deteriorating to the point it needs a BMF style treatment as well?Yeah, we bugged them about this a few times, they say they're looking into it, but in that "not right now" kind of way.

HAHA! They lost the 2002 mold?? I find that hilarious! They got one use out of it and uh-oh its gone. lolPart of the problem with doing business in China is that you contract out to multiple factories to do your work, they basically act as an archive of your tooling, and since they are so far away, it's very difficult to keep track of everything yourself, so you hope they don't mess up - and then they do.

They actually got 2 uses out of that mold, they retooled it into the Clone Wars micro series realistic version (http://www.rebelscum.com/sw03cwclonetrooperbike.asp) with a different front end and a missile launcher. I suspect that too has been lost, and now that I think about it, I bet that's WHY it's lost, low interest retool during a transitional phase.

Hmmmm............. anyone ever recall seeing a 2002 speederbike mold on ebay? LOLShipping on that tooling would be a bear, that's how they get ya!

LTBasker
12-30-2009, 08:02 PM
- Probe Droid
- Snowtrooper with E-web cannon

Somehow I completely forgot the Probe Droid, that was probably even the first great deluxe release. Could've had more with it, but it was pretty cool and REALLY nicely sculpted. And I just realized I never picked up the battlepack with the repaint version. D'oh!

I was going to include the Snowtrooper with E-Web on the list, but the Saga1 Snowtrooper kinda nullified it as a deluxe set, aside from the lack of the battery pack.

and the sorely underlooked Clone w/ Speederbike and removable armor.

I wanted to include that too, but the bits of brilliance in the set is hard to admire when the bike bends from it's own weight like a gummy worm. :cry:

Shipping on that tooling would be a bear, that's how they get ya!

I thought they got you with bears in your oatmeal?

dindae
12-31-2009, 01:10 AM
I really hope they release a Seasee Tin force flipper.

JediTricks
12-31-2009, 05:32 AM
Somehow I completely forgot the Probe Droid, that was probably even the first great deluxe release. Could've had more with it, but it was pretty cool and REALLY nicely sculpted. And I just realized I never picked up the battlepack with the repaint version. D'oh!Yeah, the Probe Droid is so good, nobody remembers it came from the same line as Smuggler Pack Han. :p

I was going to include the Snowtrooper with E-Web on the list, but the Saga1 Snowtrooper kinda nullified it as a deluxe set, aside from the lack of the battery pack.I do like that power pack and cable though. And while the Saga one has a nicer sculpt, it's not more poseable, and it has the commander rank pips and shoulder armor arrangement. The guns themselves are nearly identical. But the Saga one is half the price, so your point is made.

I wanted to include that too, but the bits of brilliance in the set is hard to admire when the bike bends from it's own weight like a gummy worm. :cry:It's not a dealbreaker for me.

I thought they got you with bears in your oatmeal?Isn't that porridge?

I really hope they release a Seasee Tin force flipper.That is a given.

TheDarthVader
12-31-2009, 03:58 PM
I really hope they release a Seasee Tin force flipper.

Oh, how those force flippers made me flip back in my younger days. :love:

Best.................deluxe....................... ...ever! :rolleyes: