PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy The Rickshaw Droid And Cart From AOTC?

Tycho
01-05-2010, 01:23 AM
I am continuing my 3 3/4" vehicle thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case the Rickshaw Droid And Cart From AOTC).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy the Rickshaw Droid And Cart From AOTC?

Hasbro could add movie-line toys to the pricepoint at which Deluxe Clone Wars stuff sells - like the Crab Droid (originally a ROTS product anyway). Or they could put this in a "Battlepack" - which could be even better since they could include the Evolutions Anakin and a softgoods update to the E2 Tatooine Padme. Or add Watto and R2-D2.

I think this is definitely a collectors' battlepack though.

Do you want this made?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

sonofsokol
01-05-2010, 10:33 AM
I think this would be a really fun piece to have in my collection. I don't see it having a real wide appeal, but if you had the droid say its "okiedokie" phrase or if you could wind it up and actually pull the characters around or something like that it could appeal to kids.

I'd rather see it as a battlepack and include more "gimmicky" stuff and/or a couple of updated figures. It would be an oxymoron to put a rickshaw in a Battle Pack, but I like the idea.

pbarnard
01-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Actually, if they're serious about the Deluxe line, this would be an ideal canidate in either a card or a battle pack. I think this is just whimsical enough that I'd get at least 1 for Tatooine scene shelf and maybe another for customizing reasons.

palps45895
01-05-2010, 11:37 AM
I'd buy it.

I think it would sell well, too. Much of the prequel stuff seems to be selling now to a lot of the kids who have grown up with it... note the hard to find ROTS and TPM waves from the latest BAD offerings... both are 2 of the hardest waves to find at retail... and I've seen kids on a couple of occassions buying these figures, in particular the Utai, the Gungan and Rum Sleg in the instances I saw.

DarkJedi5
01-05-2010, 12:49 PM
No. I'm surprised people vote for this thing as much as they do in the vehicle polls. I find it boring and I don't think we have the Padme from that scene (and if we do she can't sit) anyway.

Ji'dai
01-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Yeah, I would buy the rickshaw with droid if it were a deluxe or battle pack. If it were in a UBP, I'd pass.

I don't usually buy prequel toys unless I can work them into my OT displays. I think it would work fine in a streets of Mos Eisley diorama. The vehicle is also kind of unique. I don't remember ever seeing a rickshaw offered in a 3-3/4" toy line.

I might buy more than one if the droid could be detached from the rickshaw and another figure could pull it. Then it would fit nicely in an Indiana Jones Shanghai Chase display.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Yeah, it's a pretty alright design; I'd get it, though I seriously doubt they'll make it.

DarkJedi5, the Padme from this scene was released in 2003 - she's the one with the removable cloak thing, so you're right that she can't sit down.

Darth Jax
01-05-2010, 07:02 PM
i'd actually buy this, unless it becomes a store/online exclusive when it would be insanely priced for a small vehicle and droid.

dr_evazan22
01-05-2010, 07:37 PM
I definitely WANT to buy this. But the actual purchase decision would be conditional on the quality and strength of the plastic. If its as thin and cheap as BD legs I'd probably pass on it. But I do want it.

Maerj2000
01-05-2010, 08:17 PM
I'd buy it.

I think it would sell well, too. Much of the prequel stuff seems to be selling now to a lot of the kids who have grown up with it... note the hard to find ROTS and TPM waves from the latest BAD offerings... both are 2 of the hardest waves to find at retail... and I've seen kids on a couple of occassions buying these figures, in particular the Utai, the Gungan and Rum Sleg in the instances I saw.

Just want to comment on this... my wife's friend's two kids (and *their* friends) have told me on several occasions that they prefer the prequels and Clone Wars over the OT. In fact, they said that they should remake the originals. Yes, blasphemous, I know. But it does seem that the younger generations definitely enjoy the newer stuff.

Anyway, yes I would buy the Ric Shaw Droid. I thought that they did make one but I guess they didn't or someone would have said so here by now.

morpheus282
01-05-2010, 08:29 PM
I'd have to pass. I just don't see it being worth what Hasbro would have to charge for it.

TheDarthVader
01-05-2010, 09:02 PM
It would be fun...it would look great...it would be comprised of a big droid...YES all of the way!!!

bigbarada
01-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Just want to comment on this... my wife's friend's two kids (and *their* friends) have told me on several occasions that they prefer the prequels and Clone Wars over the OT. In fact, they said that they should remake the originals. Yes, blasphemous, I know. But it does seem that the younger generations definitely enjoy the newer stuff.

I can definitely see this being the case, however, I've known a few kids who actually prefer the OT, even though they were introduced to Star Wars through the Prequels.

I think that once Clone Wars runs its course and if the live-action shows fail, then I wouldn't put it past Lucas to consider remaking the OT as he "always envisioned it." :rolleyes:

However, given how cool the recent Star Trek reboot was, I would kind of be interested to see how they would "reboot" the Original Trilogy. As long as Lucas just produced it and had nothing to do with the screenplay or directing. I'd watch it.

Anyways, no, I would not buy the Rickshaw Droid. I would have considered it in 2002 and maybe in 2003, but it's just too late now. I no longer care.

El Chuxter
01-05-2010, 10:38 PM
This is another one of those few AOTC items I'd buy, if done properly and priced fairly.

Snowtrooper
01-06-2010, 12:25 PM
I'd buy it at the deluxe price point, but not at the $24 vehicle price. It would have to be made decent and not out of some rubbery plastic. I have doubts that Hasbro would make it, since its not aggressive enough, but add on a couple of missle launchers, and you never know. :rolleyes:

pbarnard
01-06-2010, 01:59 PM
I'd buy it at the deluxe price point, but not at the $24 vehicle price. It would have to be made decent and not out of some rubbery plastic. I have doubts that Hasbro would make it, since its not aggressive enough, but add on a couple of missle launchers, and you never know. :rolleyes:

Rush hour in Mos Espa is brutal. Those missile launchers are needed, just like we need a Neomodian battlepack!!!:tired:

El Chuxter
01-06-2010, 02:07 PM
I really wish Hasbro would come up with some way to produce pieces like this, which have virtually zero kid appeal and would bomb at retail, and get them into the hands of collectors who want every background whatever from the movies.

DarkArtist
01-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Yes, Yes and YES ! but only if it was part of a new deluxe line that retailed for around $15. I don't think it should be more than that unless of course they were going to make it a battlepack of some kind with perhaps new SA versions of both Padme and Anakin and maybe a new Watto.

plus i'd want electronics just to hear the droid say "Okie Dokie"

Tycho
01-06-2010, 05:48 PM
What if the droid head could raise up from the body, and a missile launcher was hidden inside of it.

The toy could be dubbed a "secret assassin droid," and be rumored to be put into use by the likes of Aurra Sing or something.

When closed up, the droid would look exactly as it does in AOTC.

Now you can have both the authenticity and an action-feature for the kiddies.

Just a thought. (I don't need this play feature personally, btw).

morpheus282
01-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Sounds like the "attack" R5-D4.

JediTricks
01-07-2010, 02:57 PM
No, I wouldn't buy this. It's barely in the film and does nothing exciting. I don't like the design of the droid, and I think it'd be a boring toy.

clone157
01-08-2010, 09:31 PM
I can't think of a thing to do to this to make it exciting, so no, I don't think I would buy this.

Maerj2000
01-08-2010, 10:11 PM
No, I wouldn't buy this. It's barely in the film and does nothing exciting. I don't like the design of the droid, and I think it'd be a boring toy.

You seemed a bit more excited about it back then:

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=10281

What happened? ;)

JediTricks
01-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Look at the date, it's before Ep 2's release. Hadn't seen it in action. Also, if you look, I'm not actually excited about it, just mentioning what it could be. Finally, it was probably one of my first 100 posts on the new VB forums, so you can't hold that against me. :p

Maerj2000
01-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Look at the date, it's before Ep 2's release. Hadn't seen it in action. Also, if you look, I'm not actually excited about it, just mentioning what it could be. Finally, it was probably one of my first 100 posts on the new VB forums, so you can't hold that against me. :p

lol Okay, okay...

I don't know why but I *really* thought that they did make one of these things. I thought that I saw one of these at some point! I was actually searching ebay for one but to no avail. Hmmm. I would buy one tho, lol.

Darth Metalmute
01-20-2010, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't buy it, but I would like to see on made, just to see it in the store and say, "wow, they did a nice job." And walk right past it.

Tycho
02-01-2010, 06:29 AM
The Rickshaw Vehicle won by a 13-3 margin!

This one's "a go!"

It would be nice to add to my scene of when Anakin and Padme go to visit Watto.

JediTricks
02-02-2010, 04:25 AM
The Rickshaw Vehicle won by a 13-3 margin!
How ironic, because that's how many people would actually buy it if it was produced: 3 to 13.