PDA

View Full Version : Major League Baseball 2010!

Pages : [1] 2

Tycho
01-06-2010, 06:55 PM
It's never too early to start next season's thread.

I'll make the first post now so we can discuss the trades and our team's upcoming starting lineups.

Then in April, the fun can really begin!

Bel-Cam Jos
01-06-2010, 08:06 PM
I have a simple desire. I ask for no division titles, no Wild Cards, no league penants, no World Series. I want 81 wins. Just a .500 record. Is that too much for ask, for the Pittsburgh Pirates baseball club? Please? Anyone?

Tycho
01-06-2010, 08:17 PM
I've heard the Padres will be going back to wearing their '80's retro uniforms, the gold and brown. :p

This wouldn't be my first choice.

However, much of the team which had a winning record from late July on to the end of last season will stay the same. This I like:

1st base - Adrian Gonzalez
2nd base - David Eckstein
Shortstop - Everth Cabrera
3rd base - Kevin Kouzmanoff
Catcher - Nick Hundley
Right Field - Kyle Blanks
Center Field - Tony Gwynn, Jr.
Left Field - Chase Headley

Utility Infield / Outfield:

Edgar Gonzalez

Outfield:

Oscar Salazar
Louis Durango
Will Venable
Drew Macias

Pitching:

Kevin Correia
Chris Young
Heath Bell
Wade LeBlanc
Matt Latos
Clayton Richard
?
?
?
?
?
?

That's our 25-man roster. I think. We're looking for a back-up catcher and a right-handed centerfielder. I don't know what the status of Matt Antonelli (2nd) or Louis Rodriguez (shortstop), or Elieazar Alfonzo (catcher) are right now. Or where Josh Geer is going to fit in to the pitching staff.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Hey! There's an idea for a game show: name that Pirates starter!

1B ?
2B ?
SS Cedeno
3B LaRoche
LF McCutcheon [sp?]
CF Millich [sp?]
RF Jones
C Doumit?
SP Duke
RP Capps

DarthQuack
01-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Being a Yankee fan....although I feel like I'm the lone one on these boards :).....I could just ask for a repeat of this past season. I was sad to see Matsui go....but hopefully things will work out and we'll be celebrating again in November....

I'm also a Cubs fan, so seeing them back in the playoffs would be a welcome site! Gigs is with me here!

DarthQuack
01-11-2010, 08:02 PM
double post....for good reason.

McGwire on 'roids??!?! Shocking I say!.......although I just watched his live interview with Costas.....idk what to think of this guy anymore.

TeeEye7
01-14-2010, 04:04 AM
.....idk what to think of this guy anymore.

He's a cheater and a loser and needs to go away. :whip:

Kiss the Hall of Fame goodbye Markie-poo!

JimJamBonds
01-14-2010, 10:48 PM
Personally I can't wait for the season to begin! In just over a month pitchers and catchers will be reporting!!!! :)

Maradona
01-15-2010, 12:26 AM
From what i've read recently about Bud Selig, this might be the first year where the World Series Champ plays a series against the Japanese NPB Champ in the first TRUE World Series.

Tycho
01-15-2010, 12:32 AM
The pros should take on San Diego's Chula Vista-based ParkView Little Leaguers. Those kids kick butt in the extreme! Their pictures are now adorning the Padres' PETCO Park (so it reminds San Diegans that we DO have a winning team around here).

Those kids are around 13 and 14 now. The youngest pros are like what? 18-22 / 23? It will be THIS new decade!

JimJamBonds
01-15-2010, 07:38 AM
From what i've read recently about Bud Selig, this might be the first year where the World Series Champ plays a series against the Japanese NPB Champ in the first TRUE World Series.

I have a hard time believing that that will actually happen.

Maradona
01-15-2010, 01:43 PM
I have a hard time believing that that will actually happen.

Bud Selig is interested in his legacy, I think. He wants to globalize the sport as much as possible.

JimJamBonds
01-15-2010, 05:06 PM
Bud Selig is interested in his legacy, I think. He wants to globalize the sport as much as possible.

That is true thus the world baseball classic, I like the idea of the US/Toronto champ playing say the champ from Japan I just don't see the players union going along with it (although yes I know every year there is an all star team that goes to Japan after the season is over).

Tycho
01-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Mexico, Cuba, and many Central and South American countries have baseball leagues too. So does Korea.

Tycho
01-18-2010, 05:16 AM
The Padres traded away 3rd baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff to the Athletics and got Scott Hairston back.

This is sort of like +1 + (-1) = no change, but if you look logically at it, the trade strengthens the team because Left Field Chase Headley can move to 3rd base - his natural position, and Kyle Blanks can go to left, with Hairston in center, and Venable in right.

Then all these power-hitters are in the lineup.

Now, emotionally, and personally (as I've known Kooooz for a while now), I did not want to see him go. He's a great guy and he should have gotten the Golden Glove Award for playing with 99% of the time ZERO errors. I think his stat is that he missed making 5 plays in the last 182 games! Only 5 plays!

Scott Hairston is an excellent player, a great hitter, and was a Padre until last June. Now he's coming back after barely being away. I'm personally glad to have Scotty back - as that was one trade last season that I did not like at all (out of 4 major personnel changes - Hairston, Gerut, Peavy, and Hoffman).

But I wished we could have all of them back. When you play for San Diego, you're part of a family here. If we didn't have financial problems, we'd support all our kids here at home. The fact is, we can't afford them.

Anyway, overall, yesterday was a miserable day in San Diego sports news.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Anyway, overall, yesterday was a miserable day in San Diego sports news.That's called either a weekday or weekend in Pirates news. :( But I think I read that the Buccos signed a contingent-on-passing-a-physical contract with Brendan Donnelly. Could use some solid mid relief, if he has anything left in his arm; decent pick up.

DarthQuack
01-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Any Jose Offerman fans in the house???? :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
01-18-2010, 07:51 PM
I think that will be one lifetime ban that will hold up.

Tycho
01-20-2010, 07:49 PM
The Padres acquired Jerry Hairston, Jr. from Cincinatti to play with his brother Scott.

Adrian Gonzalez's brother Edgar was let go and he went to Japan to play. Slicker should go see him when he gets a chance. Edgar's a nice guy. Tell him you love San Diego, Nick!

Actually, don't. Tell Edgar "Welcome to Japan. He has American fans there and that you've been to his hometown of San Diego."

That will make him feel better.

CaptainSolo1138
01-29-2010, 03:14 AM
Tigers baseball will not be a pleasure this year.

Welcome to center field, AJax. *sigh*

DarthQuack
02-09-2010, 02:21 PM
2010 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Major_League_Baseball_season) here we come!

Ok, the Super Bowl is over....and The New York Knicks and New York Rangers will not likely bring me joy this spring....but NCAA Hoops certainly does esp if Syracuse keeps playing well. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to going to a handful of Yankees games this year. Interested to see how the new lineup will look without Damon and Matsui :( as well as the starting rotation......just leave Joba in the 'pen!!!

DarthQuack
02-17-2010, 11:38 PM
For Bel-Jam.....courtesy of ESPN.com

Least Recognizable Teams

http://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/mlb/sml/was.gifhttp://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/mlb/sml/tor.gifhttp://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/mlb/sml/pit.gif
1. Pirates
2. Blue Jays
3. Nationals
Here's a question that could win us a free beverage in any saloon in America outside the 412 area code: Name six Pirates. Go ahead. Try it. We'll even spot you Zach Duke (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=6219) and Paul Maholm (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=6398), and we'd still take our chances. Of the eight position players who started on Opening Day last year, only three are still on the roster. By August, the '09 Buccos had traded away everybody who made more than $2.5 million. And while they did have an action-packed winter, their 16 free-agent signees have less guaranteed money coming combined ($7 million) than John Grabow (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=5864) (who's now a Cub, by the way). So go ahead. Try to name six Pirates. We're not 100 percent sure even Bill Mazeroski could do it.

:thumbsup:

Tycho
02-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Pirates? That's easy. Here's 6:

P Captain Jack Sparrow
2B Elizabeth Swan
3B Will Turner
C Gibbs
SS Marty
CF Davey Jones

Then there's that Hammerhead Shark guy and the guy with the Clam on his head.

And they have the monkey in the bullpen.

That's OK though. Since the old days, they always let the Friars administer the Pirates' last rites. :D

Tycho
03-25-2010, 02:23 AM
So who's been watching the pre-season Arizona Cactus League?

The Padres played awesome and have won their last 9 in a row including tonight.

We've become base-stealing maniacs. On Coach Bud Black's orders, STEAL! STEAL! STEAL!

They weren't concerned about winning in the pre-season. The Friars just wanted to see who could steal bases and what teams they could drive nuts. But they ARE winning in the pre-season and we've stolen 36 bases in a lot less games.

We're coming back with an attitude this season!

Slicker
03-25-2010, 05:42 PM
I'd really like to go and see a Tigers game this year. I'll be in Michigan in early May so I may get my wish. :love:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-02-2010, 08:05 PM
This will sound like I've given up on '10 before it's even started, but I think the Bucs have now clinched the worst Spring Training record in the Majors. That's good though, because they've been decent the last few years in March and have ended up with ugh regular seasons after. Maybe this is the year of 81+ wins! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :Pirate: ARRRR!!!! :Pirate:

DarthQuack
04-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Good luck to your Pirates this year Bel!

I'm hoping for another great season by the Yankees, but would love to see the Cubbies get to the fall classic....wishful thinking...I know....

JimJamBonds
04-02-2010, 11:47 PM
I buddy of mine shot me a text the other day asking if I'd want to go to Milwaukee on Monday for opening day at Miller Park. Since I "kinda have some time on my hands" I've taken him up on his offer. The last time I went to an opening day was way back in '97 against the Rangers. There were some iffy/blown calls by the umps so the drunks decided to toss out their free baseball's out onto the field. That was the last time balls have been given out before games at any mlb stadium.

Snowtrooper
04-03-2010, 10:43 AM
This will sound like I've given up on '10 before it's even started, but I think the Bucs have now clinched the worst Spring Training record in the Majors. That's good though, because they've been decent the last few years in March and have ended up with ugh regular seasons after. Maybe this is the year of 81+ wins! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :Pirate: ARRRR!!!! :Pirate:

I'm not a huge baseball fan, but my team has been the pirates ever since they were winning championships when I was a kid. Its sad to see how far they've fallen, but hopefully something good is around the corner.

Tycho
04-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Friday night I went up to stay at my friend's place in Lake Elsinore.

The Padres actually played their Single-A team they host there and the town got a huge thrill of getting to see a Pro-Team play in their own backyard.

Of course the Padres won 7-1, but it was a lot of fun and the stadium they have there (Diamond Park) is really nice and not at all as basic as I expected it to be for the Minor League Lake Elsinore Storm.

The players spent time meeting the fans, and the Storm showcased their own players including a dude named Dykstra (their 1st baseman) who I could easily see reaching the Pros in a few years. - I took a cool video of him batting - I think against Padres hurler Stauffer or Mujica - I actually shot both but don't remember which one came out better.

I can post the pics in this thread when I unload my camera.

But the Padres go into the regular season tomorrow against the Diamondbacks with twice as many stolen bases as any major league team in the pre-season, and one of the highest numbers of games won!

I am stoked for my team this season!

DarthQuack
04-05-2010, 01:26 PM
And the Yankees start off 0-1 to the Red Sox.....excellent....that's how well they did against Beantown on their way to their 27th World Championship! :thumbsup:

Tycho
04-05-2010, 03:51 PM
The Padres play at 2pm PST at Arizona. Our not-so-secret-weapon: Jon Garland who played with Arizona and L.A. for short whiles. He'll know how to throw to a bunch of his old teammates!

GO PADRES!

Today is the most important day of the year: It is MLB OPENING DAY!

UPDATE: :mad::mad::mad::tired:

We lost our season opener to Arizona. We had only 5 hits (2 by Adrian Gonzalez). But Arizona only had 8.

The final score was Arizona 6, San Diego 3.

In the end, with 2 outs, Adrian and Kyle Blanks hit back to back homeruns for good distance, proving the Padres never give up.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Forget alphabetical order; the Pittsburgh Pirates are leading the National League! What's their magic number to clinch? :Pirate:

JimJamBonds
04-06-2010, 11:15 AM
I buddy of mine shot me a text the other day asking if I'd want to go to Milwaukee on Monday for opening day at Miller Park. Since I "kinda have some time on my hands" I've taken him up on his offer. The last time I went to an opening day was way back in '97 against the Rangers. There were some iffy/blown calls by the umps so the drunks decided to toss out their free baseball's out onto the field. That was the last time balls have been given out before games at any mlb stadium.

We got to Miller Park at 8:30 and had to wait a half hour for them to open the gates. Tailgaiting was a blast (both before and after the game) but the game itself was a let down. 12 hits and only 2 runs... not a good sign. But there is still 161 more games so I won't get worked up over 1 loss.

Tycho
04-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Here are some of my pics from Lake Elsinore when the Padres visited to play their minor league team, The Storm.

It's a great little ballpark and Storm 1st baseman Alan Dykstra is going to be a top pro athlete in a few more years. You can tell by just watching him play.

The Navy SEALS skydived into the game with fireworks to introduce the Padres' starting lineup!

Tycho
04-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Here's some more great shots, including Thunder, the Storm's mascot having to be taken out on a stretcher when he saw the score lol and Tony Gwynn and David Eckstein in action making their way around the bases!

figrin bran
04-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Matsui land is off to a great start!

You mean to tell me that the Dodgers could do no better than Vicente Padilla as their opening day starter? The same guy that got shellacked by the Phillies in the playoffs?

Bel-Cam Jos
04-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Hey, Pittsburgh may have lost their chance at 162-0, but they're still on pace to finish 81-81. :thumbsup:

Tycho
04-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Pittsburgh beat the Dodgers :D HaHa!

My Padres are not doing so well though. 1-3 with all the losses in our own division, and the Rockies shutting us out last night 0-7 :cry:

I'm going to the Home Opening Day against Atlanta on Monday, and then I will hopefully see my team avenge itself on Arizona next weekend.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-10-2010, 06:07 PM
I've seen the Pads play in "three" ballparks: PetCo (that is a nice stadium), and both Jack Murphy AND Qualcomm. I've also been to The Diamond in Lake Elsinore (when the RC Quakes were the Padres Single-A squad), and that's a cool place to watch a game as well.

JimJamBonds
04-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Well the Brewers screwed things up this weekend, they were 1 strike away from winning on Friday night (blown save by Hoffman) and then they got hammered today (7-1). Hopefully they can come away with at least 1 win against the Cardinal's.

Tycho
04-11-2010, 01:33 AM
I always wish Trevor Hoffman success! He's my all-time favorite baseball hero!

The Padres beat the Rockies 5-4 tonight - less than an hour ago, after 14 innings!

DarthQuack
04-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Definitely stealing Tycho's thunder here......but the Padres just won 17-2 over the Braves!!!

Tycho
04-12-2010, 11:44 PM
I know! I just got home. :):):):):):):):):):) Here's some pics!

We scored 10 runs in the 4th inning alone.

Our pitcher Kevin Correia is even batting .250 with a 2-run single slammed out to right field.

4th inning homers by Will Venable (RF) and Kyle Blanks (LF). Will hit out of the park over left and Kyle took the longball out deep into the centerfield stands.

The crowd was going wild!

Man are my ears ringing!

The Chargers' Phillip Rivers threw out the first pitch. I think the Padres should sign him. :thumbsup:

By the way, the Padres are having Comic Con Day in July and fans are encouraged to wear their Star Wars costumes. Word is the Padres fans are going to receive training in the Jedi Arts by Padawan Ahsoka Tano (our 2nd baseman's wife) and someone will be placing the Kryptonite in Arizona's locker room! :D

Bel-Cam Jos
04-15-2010, 08:07 PM
I always wish Trevor Hoffman success! He's my all-time favorite baseball hero!Really? Not Phil Stevenson? :rolleyes: When I was writing short stories regularly, I used "Phil Stevenson" as the name of my main everyman protagonist, and I found a baseball card of a Padre of the same name (from the late 80s/early 90s).

Pirates are still playing like a team hungry for a .500 record come October! :Pirate:

JimJamBonds
04-16-2010, 12:31 PM
I always wish Trevor Hoffman success! He's my all-time favorite baseball hero!

He's had a couple of rough outings this year, I hope he gets it together. If the Brewers are to do anything this year they NEED him to be on his game all season long.

Tycho
04-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Going to 2 Padres home games tomorrow and Sunday, and then I'll probably go and watch them play the Giants next week.

My expectations seemed to be lowering themselves.

Even Chase Headley didn't get a hit for his first time in several weeks' worth of games now. :(

And I can't get the Padres to beat the Dodgers on the Wii - and even took it to 18 innings to try and do so. I'm always losing by only 1-2 runs in extra innings. Grrrrrrr.

DarthQuack
04-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Went to my first Yankee Stadium trip this season...out of a possible 4 or 5.....had great seats for a great win by the pinstripes! Andy Pettitte went 8 strong innings and my favorite Yankee Mo Rivera closed it out! :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
04-19-2010, 04:48 PM
DQ: How would you rate the new stadium over the old one?

Tycho
04-19-2010, 09:22 PM
The Padres swept Arizona and I was there in person to see it all!

Gotta love baseball!

We play the Giants in about 45 more minutes.

I'm not going down there tonight as I have too much stuff to do, but I'll have it on the TV here on San Diego's exclusive Padres Channel!

All Padres - All The Time!

UPDATE: The Padres won again this time with David Eckstein's walk-off homerun that denied the San Francisco Giants in the 10th Inning!

Tycho
04-21-2010, 10:41 PM
And the PADRES take 1st Place in the NL West!

Only an hour ago they swept the San Francisco Giants after having done the same to the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Feels great to be on top. :yes:

TeeEye7
04-22-2010, 03:49 AM
That's what.....oh, never mind...too obvious.

JimJamBonds
04-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Forget alphabetical order; the Pittsburgh Pirates are leading the National League! What's their magic number to clinch? :Pirate:

Its not looking to good for 'your team' BCJ, 'my team' has kicked their butt the last two days (hopefully they complete the sweep this afternoon!).

DarthQuack
04-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Ouch!! Pirates lose 20-0 to the Brewers~!!!!:shocked:

DarthQuack
04-22-2010, 04:33 PM
DQ: How would you rate the new stadium over the old one?

It's really nice....I went to the home opener last year for the first game....had MUCH better seats this time around.....the old stadium in ruins next door is pretty sad to see though....

AND just saw in the Oakland game, the Yankees turned their first Triple Play (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100422&content_id=9500056&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb) since 1968!!! :) :) :)

JimJamBonds
04-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Ouch!! Pirates lose 20-0 to the Brewers~!!!!:shocked:

Awesome! They outscored the Pirates 36 - 1 in the three game series. Hopefully the Brewers saved some runs for the Cubs this weekend.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-23-2010, 10:13 PM
Yes: ahh, some. :cry: But, if they win today, they'll still be on .500 pace. Let's go Bucs! :D

DarthQuack
04-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Couple pics from my time at the stadium with my lady. :love:

Tycho
04-23-2010, 11:03 PM
The Padres won their 7th in a row today, 10-4 over the Reds in Cincinatti.

They were up 10-0 for a while until the bullpen faltered (Gallagher).

Kevin Correia our starter allowed no runs through more than half of the game while he was out there on the mound!

JimJamBonds
04-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Way to not show up this weekend Brewes.

Tycho
04-26-2010, 02:06 AM
Well we lost today (barely 4-5, Reds) - and I suspect maybe we let them have their day just to be nice :D

But did you see Adrian Gonzalez' GRAND SLAM yesterday?

We also shut-0ut the Reds completely 5-0!

Chase Headley has gotten at least a single or both a single and a walk in every game he's played in (except one - and that's ALL of the Padres' games this season).

David Eckstein has only struck out once this season in about 60 at-bats now.

Almost every player on our team has hit at least one homerun already this season - and Adrian is hitting one nearly every game!

I have a theory: the universe is better with baseball! :yes:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Hmm. From 3rd place in a weak, bunched-up divison to tied for 2nd-worst record in the majors, all within a week. Sigh... :Pirate: :cry:

DarthQuack
04-26-2010, 11:51 PM
Hmm. From 3rd place in a weak, bunched-up divison to tied for 2nd-worst record in the majors, all within a week. Sigh... :Pirate: :cry:

And the Brew-crew beat up on them again.....17-3 the final I think tonight? :(

JimJamBonds
04-27-2010, 11:19 AM

I'm going to ask the commish that the Brewers can play the Pirates roughly 130 times a year since they are the only team the Brewers can beat.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-28-2010, 11:51 PM
I'm going to ask the commish that the Brewers can play the Pirates roughly 130 times a year since they are the only team the Brewers can beat.Their win yesterday apparently snapped a TWENTY-TWO GAME ROAD LOSING STREAK IN MILWAUKEE!?! I disagree with Alice Cooper; it does NOT mean "the good land." Well, maybe on one day it did.

JimJamBonds
04-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Their win yesterday apparently snapped a TWENTY-TWO GAME ROAD LOSING STREAK IN MILWAUKEE!?! I disagree with Alice Cooper; it does NOT mean "the good land." Well, maybe on one day it did.

How about Pittsburg's win in 14 innings on Wednesday? Nice job Brewers. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tycho
04-29-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm going to see the Brewers play my Padres tonight in PetCo Park, San Diego!

Wade LeBlanc takes the mound for San Diego and our guy is good. A minor-league substitute brought in from Portland (our AAA team) to fill the rotation while Chris Young is injured, LeBlanc ought to be in our starting rotation all the time. He's a winning pitcher!

The Padres are a winning team with one of the best records in 2010 MLB!

We're 13-8 right now.

And actually, I'm kind of spending the rest of the week in PetCo Park: 4 games vs. the Brewers, and 3 against Colorado. I think I want to be there to see all of them! It'll be the cheaper seats if I'm going to that many games :eek:

I love having a pro-team like 10 minutes away from my place!

JimJamBonds
04-29-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm going to see the Brewers play my Padres tonight in PetCo Park, San Diego!

Wade LeBlanc takes the mound for San Diego and our guy is good. A minor-league substitute brought in from Portland (our AAA team) to fill the rotation while Chris Young is injured, LeBlanc ought to be in our starting rotation all the time. He's a winning pitcher!

A guy called up from the minors? Well that means a victory for the Padres. I don't know why but the Brewers never seem to be able to hit guys who have just been called up.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Often in the past, it's been a west coast road trip that tripped up the Bucs. They're in LA for a weekend series starting today. I'd like at least a 2-2 record after leaving Chavez Ravine, please? :Pirate: :thumbsup:

Tycho
04-30-2010, 02:39 AM
A guy called up from the minors? Well that means a victory for the Padres. I don't know why but the Brewers never seem to be able to hit guys who have just been called up.

Wade went 6 innings and a batter setting up our 9-0 SHUT-OUT!

Tim Stauffer came on the relive him with 1 out and a Brewer on 1st and 3rd - and allowed NO runs!

The Padres pull 2 games ahead, holding 1st Place!

I was also only about 12 feet away from Trevor Hoffman tonight, but in the middle of a swarm of Padres fans vying for his attention. We will always love Trevor in this town!

Oh - and by the way, our pitcher LeBlanc (up from the minors) BATTED 1.000 tonight (3 for 3) with legitimate hits in additon to one fake-bunt.

I can't wait for tomorrow night now (only on certain nights do they let you sleep in your seats at the ballpark - but it was getting cold out there by the 8th inning anyway).

Dang it was a great night for a baseball game.

Tomorrow is the Padres 1st Annual Beerfest. Game starts at 7, but the drinking starts at 4. They turn the Park at the Park into one giant beer garden! Seems most appropriate with the Milwaukee Brewers in town.

Anyway, I'm watching the game again right now as I type this, as the replay is on the Padre Channel (our local TV station dedicated to all-things-Padres).

JimJamBonds
04-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Wade went 6 innings and a batter setting up our 9-0 SHUT-OUT!

I wish I were wrong in my prediction from before but Wade did about what I figured he would do.

Tycho
05-03-2010, 03:27 AM
Today was Picture Day at PetCo Park. I took a ton of pics with just about everyone on the team!

Here's a teaser, just to remind the Brewers fans here who hit the long balls out of the park during our 8-0 shut-out of Milwaukee.

Me and Scott Hairston, (with Matt Latos in the background) and me and Kyle Blanks.

I think I'll throw in the pic of me and Eckstein because I have a ton of those.
I think we were walking around talking about Star Wars when we had that shot taken as my sunglasses were on. (Ashley will be a spokesperson to reveal a new girls' Star Wars toy line being promoted probablly at Comic Con. I forgot to ask if it was Hasbro's, but I think we can assume so.)

Some of the rest will go in the Post-A-Picture-Of-Yourself-Thread and the How-Did-You-Spend-Your-Saturday-Thread (though these were taken yesterday, Sunday, actually. Though I did see the game on Saturday night, too - uh, and Friday, and Thursday...).

JimJamBonds
05-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Tycho, how often do the Padre's were those camo uniform's? Every Sunday? I think its awesome that they were those because of the huge military presence in the area. A buddy of mine was in the navy (about 14 years ago) and he was stationed in San Diego for a bit and he told me that (at least at the time) he could get discounted tickets because he was serving.

Tycho
05-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Yes, every Sunday homegame, the Padres do the following for the military:

wear the camaouflage uniforms
discount tickets for military in uniform (all the time actually, but you can get discounts with a military ID too)
host a military seating section with food for the troops
have the military (usually the Navy) take 9 positions on the field before the game and meet their Padres counterparts during the National Anthem
Play God Bless America before Take Me Out To The Ballgame during the 7th Inning Stretch with all rising to salute the flag
Play the Marine Corps Hymn once during 5th mid-inning
Run a video showcasing all of our Armed Forces and our players saluting the troops (usually closer Heath Bell narrates, but every Padre makes a recording and they use some of them if a particular Padre is starting) - done between 3rd inning changes
Have Marine Corps artillery shoot T-Shirts and Padres squishy balls, amongst other prizes to the crowd via baseball-bat shaped bazookas
Have the US Coast Guard carry the flag for National Anthem ceremonies
have flyovers by 3-4 F-18/A fighter planes before special games like the Home Opener or the 4th of July, Memorial Day games, etc.
Have Navy SEALs parachute in to the game and land in the shallow outfield amidst colorful smoke flares during similar occasions

San Diego is extremely proud of our military and a very patriotic town.

You have to love it!

If we get a World Series here, I bet they'd move an aircraft carrier over to the docks across the street from the ballpark (where Comic Con is held at the Convention Center).

Bel-Cam Jos
05-03-2010, 08:21 PM
If we get a World Series here, I bet they'd move an aircraft carrier over to the docks across the street from the ballpark (where Comic Con is held at the Convention Center).You know, there's not a lot different about that post if you were in Anaheim, too. :rolleyes:

Alas, no 2-2 vs. Dodgers record for the Buccos... :(

Tycho
05-04-2010, 03:53 AM
There's no waterfront for an aircraft carrier in Anaheim.

And there's no way my fellow San Diegans will let Comic Con go there either! :mad:

If you like Mickey Mouse, go to Anaheim. If you like Slave Leia, stay in San Diego!

Now the Padres lost tonight. I was not my happiest at a ball game. Ubaldo Jimenez (Colorado Rockies) was unstopable. Our guys mostly forgot how to swing. Naturally, Chase Headley and Scott Hairston got hits off of him anyway - and we scored off Jimenez, too. We're the first team to do that in something like 27 innings pitched by this guy.

Our starter Kevin Correia was doing good holding the Rockies to two runs for a long time, but Bud Black decided to throw the worst of our bullpen at them (probably because there are so many teams that can't beat Jimenez).

Anyway, there's always tomorrow. I don't know if I'll feel like going though. But I can't go Wednesday as I'm seeing patients at the hospital. So we'll see. I'm not in my best baseball mood right now.

Not a good game. But we are still in First Place!:thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
05-04-2010, 08:02 PM
There's no waterfront for an aircraft carrier in Anaheim.

Not a good game. But we are still in First Place!:thumbsup:What, no boats up the Ana River? :p

We tried to help you in the NL West Tycho, but alas, the bane of the :Pirate:'s season is often their West Coast swing (and miss; strike three).

Tycho
05-05-2010, 03:10 AM
Well we won at the end of a long battle with the Rockies tonight.

Naturally, Wade LeBlanc led our team!

I love the Padres man!

I loved them even back when we were losing. But it's more fun when you win! :D

JimJamBonds
05-05-2010, 10:08 AM
As stated elsewhere here in the threads longtime Tigers (and Brooklyn Dogers as well) announcer Ernie Harwell passed away yesterday at the age of 96. He was the only announcer ever to be traded for a catcher!

Tycho
05-05-2010, 11:30 AM
He was the only announcer ever to be traded for a catcher!

I did not know that. Thanks for sharing JimJam! He's a pretty good announcer I take it!

We have a very good cook in our Ruby's Hamburgers stand at PetCo Park.

I'll offer him to your team for a good relief pitcher and I might throw in one or two of ours that are walking a tight rope with me right now.

Matt Latos drove me to drinking during the game the other day (Saturday night against the Brewers - the only game we lost to them). But there's the caveat that San Diego was hosting the first annual Padres Beerfest that weekend.

Latos will settle down and do much better I think - maybe after some AAA practice. I've only said this probably 3 or 4 times in this thread already, but I want to keep Wade LeBlanc up from the minors as one of our starters.

He pitched last night and we won again. I don't know, but I think I'm seeing a pattern with a 5-0 pitcher here (between several starts this year and several at the end of last season).

On Sunday, I was meeting Chase Headley when we saw him practice pitching in the bullpen behind us. We both admire LeBlanc's pitching!

JimJamBonds
05-05-2010, 12:43 PM
[QUOTE=Tycho;725156]I did not know that. Thanks for sharing JimJam! He's a pretty good announcer I take it!/QUOTE]

Truly one of the best!

A local station is right now replaying an interview they did with Ernie a couple of years ago.

http://wnflam.com/stationfiles/listenlive.asp

Bel-Cam Jos
05-09-2010, 09:47 AM
:Pirate:s have a shot to climb into 2nd in the Central, and creep closer back to .500, too.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-15-2010, 10:52 AM
If the Bucs don't play west coast teams, or the Reds or Brewers, or the American League, they'll do fine. That darn schedule maker... :rolleyes:

JimJamBonds
05-16-2010, 05:36 AM
If the Bucs don't play west coast teams, or the Reds or Brewers, or the American League, they'll do fine. That darn schedule maker... :rolleyes:

If they Brewers would just play on the road they'd be great, right now they are 4-13 at home. WTF???

DarthQuack
05-30-2010, 12:06 AM
Congrats to Roy Halladay on his perfect game! :)

Bel-Cam Jos
05-31-2010, 11:40 PM
:Pirate:s have the NL's best 1-run game record; problem is, too many times they lose big. But they win on Memorial Day. :salute: :)

DarthQuack
06-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Ken Griffey Jr. retires from baseball tonight. In my eyes he will always have the sweetest swing in baseball, and I love his rookie card, along with the rest of the 1989 Upper Deck set. :)

JimJamBonds
06-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Ken Griffey Jr. retires from baseball tonight. In my eyes he will always have the sweetest swing in baseball, and I love his rookie card, along with the rest of the 1989 Upper Deck set. :)

Did he retire or is he just taking a nap in the clubhouse? :p

DarthQuack
06-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Well at least that joke is out of the way. ;)

Slicker
06-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Wow...the ump completely blew that perfect game. And not just because I'm a Tigers fan. He was out by more than a step. Wow...

DarthQuack
06-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Perfect game on A SH*T CALL. That was awful. I feel so bad for Galarraga and the Tigers and their fans. :(

JimJamBonds
06-03-2010, 11:27 AM
That was a total bs call. How bad is that ump going to get booed today in Detroit?!?!?!

Darth Metalmute
06-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Horrible call, but at least the ump owned up to it. MLB is looking into changing it.

It was pretty cool seeing Galarraga and the ump meet before the game today.

EDIT: Selig just came out and said he wouldn't change it. What a shock. Selig ran out of eyes to have darkened long ago.

Slicker
06-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Both Joyce and Gallaraga are being stand up guys about it. Seeing Joyce literally get teary when they met at home plate truly showed how sorry he was about the call. And thankfully Detroit showed that it can be a good city when they actually cheered Joyce when he came out. He is afterall only human and we do make mistakes. If that call had been in the 3rd inning it would've been no big deal. Unfortunately it came at out number 27.

JimJamBonds
06-03-2010, 11:38 PM
Both Joyce and Gallaraga are being stand up guys about it. Seeing Joyce literally get teary when they met at home plate truly showed how sorry he was about the call. And thankfully Detroit showed that it can be a good city when they actually cheered Joyce when he came out. He is afterall only human and we do make mistakes. If that call had been in the 3rd inning it would've been no big deal. Unfortunately it came at out number 27.

That sort of thing happened 2 years ago when CC Sabathia was with the Brewers. There was a play that could have been called either a hit or an error in about the 3rd inning. It ended up being called a hit and it was the :Pirate:'s only hit of the game. The scorekeeper did not change it to an error.

That is cool that the Detroit fans were ok with Joyce, thank god that didn't happen in Philly!!!

Rocketboy
06-03-2010, 11:51 PM
That call made me sick, but the way both Galarraga and Joyce have handled this has been great; nothing but class.
Joyce sounded horrible afterward. He knew he blew and owned up to it.
Joyce admitted it.
The video proves it.
I don't understand what in the hell is going through Selig's head. If he's afraid this will open a dangerous door with other games/players, he shouldn't be. This is a PERFECT GAME we are talking about. Galarraga is more likely to win a several world series (even a Stanley Cup lol) than pitch another perfect game. An exception should be made, these are extenuating circumstances.

It ain't all bad for Galarraga, he's even got support as high up as Washington DC, he's the only player with a 28 batter perfect game and GM gave him a Corvette convertible.

Darth Metalmute
06-04-2010, 08:57 AM
I'm glad our government is going to step in. It's a good thing they have time to do this since there are no other pressing issues like the economy or an oil spill to be concerned with.

On the plus side, it's about time they did something that the people that voted for them actually wanted.

JimJamBonds
06-04-2010, 09:58 AM
It ain't all bad for Galarraga, he's even got support as high up as Washington DC, he's the only player with a 28 batter perfect game and GM gave him a Corvette convertible.

You know as a (partial) owner of GM I don't like the idea of giving a guy who makes 6 (or 7) figures a FREE CAR. He can pay for it like the rest of us. :p

Tycho
06-04-2010, 05:38 PM
I felt very bad for Galarraga.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-10-2010, 10:27 AM
This is awesome! Now the Pirates will be in every highlight of Steven Saviorsburg for the rest of his HOF career. Arr. :Pirate:

JimJamBonds
06-10-2010, 11:53 AM
This is awesome! Now the Pirates will be in every highlight of Steven Saviorsburg for the rest of his HOF career. Arr. :Pirate:

You're unconcerned about it being a dubious honor? You never know they may be showing those clips after he blows out his shoulder/elbow in 3-4 years.

Tycho
06-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Let me explain something about the Padres.

We are not in first place today. The Dodgers are. :upset::mad:

They are 1 1/2 games ahead of us.

1) They've played 2 more games than we have because of their schedule.

2) We got rained out yesterday in New York. We didn't play at all.

3) We have a double-header against the Mets today with Mat Latos and John Garland pitching them. "Aaaa-batter-batter-batter-SWING! - WHOOooosssSHH!" - that's the sound the Mets will make as they lose these games (weather permitting).

4) In our upcoming future we play the Mariners, the BLUE JAYS, and the ORIOLES. I predict a lot of wins.

5) The Dodgers have on their schedule the CARDINALS, the ANGELS, and the RED SOX - a much tougher trial. They can just play "to enjoy the game" and will wind up losing a lot of those.

6) The Padres will take the wins and re-take 1st Place, thank you very much.

7) This will be accomplished in our home-stand and I'll be there to supervise them personally. "There will be nothing to stop us this time!"

SAN DIEGO!

DarthQuack
06-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Yankees are still playing good ball....and some possible reports about them going after Cliff Lee....I'd be smiling if that happens.

Slicker
06-10-2010, 03:41 PM
It didn't matter how good Strausberg did they were going to have something, anything good to say about him. They hyped him so much that they wouldn't have had any choice.

And fer cryin' out loud he pitched against the damn Pirates (no offense BCJ). Wait until he pitches against a real team...

Darth Metalmute
06-10-2010, 04:14 PM
It didn't matter how good Strausberg did they were going to have something, anything good to say about him. They hyped him so much that they wouldn't have had any choice.

And fer cryin' out loud he pitched against the damn Pirates (no offense BCJ). Wait until he pitches against a real team...

Nationals had it set up perfectly. First against the worst hitting team in the Majors. Then he will pitch against the Indians, another horrible hitting team. If he pitches every fifth game, his next two starts will be against the Orioles and White Sox, more offensive juggernauts. He'll be in the Hall of Fame before he pitches against a real team.

Tycho
06-10-2010, 05:50 PM
You guys are funny.

The Padres face the Orioles, as well. :thumbsup:

(Meanwhile the Dodgers will be having some fun trying to control the Red Sox - haha).

Bel-Cam Jos
06-10-2010, 06:26 PM
You're unconcerned about it being a dubious honor? You never know they may be showing those clips after he blows out his shoulder/elbow in 3-4 years.Notice I mentioned his Hall of Fame 520-30, 6021 strikeouts, 259 shutouts, 18 no-hitters and 3 perfect games, two 27-Ks games, 16-time World Series champion, 18-time All-Star Game starting pitcher career record. :p

Dubious honor? Slicker called it right; schedule the Buccos and good things might happen. :( Little early to give him all this gushing praise. But he did look pretty good for his first start.

JimJamBonds
06-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Notice I mentioned his Hall of Fame 520-30, 6021 strikeouts, 259 shutouts, 18 no-hitters and 3 perfect games, two 27-Ks games, 16-time World Series champion, 18-time All-Star Game starting pitcher career record. :p

Wow, to beat Cy Young's win total, Nolan Ryan's all time K AND no hitter record along with tripling the perfect game record. What no offensive stats you want to throw out there BCJ? :D

Darth Metalmute
06-11-2010, 01:23 PM
He'll be in the AL with the Yankees in three years so the offensive stats won't matter.

Slicker
06-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Nationals had it set up perfectly. First against the worst hitting team in the Majors. Then he will pitch against the Indians, another horrible hitting team. If he pitches every fifth game, his next two starts will be against the Orioles and White Sox, more offensive juggernauts. He'll be in the Hall of Fame before he pitches against a real team.You hit the nail right on the head. I can't blame 'em though. I guess work him up to a real team before just throwing him to the lions.

And I think what you said about the Yanks trying to buy another championship with him will be true. If he does good this season you'll start hearing the little whispers about how they're interested. Do they not even have there own farm club anymore? You rarely hear of them bringing people up (I know they have good players on the team that went through it but you rarely hear of 'em)

Tycho
06-13-2010, 06:32 PM
I've started collecting Padres bobbleheads and I'm going to set up a diamond for them to play on as soon as I have 6.

Here's Chase Headley, David Eckstein, and Adrian Gonzalez!

JimJamBonds
06-14-2010, 11:23 AM
I like the Headley bobblehead, having the ball on the bat is a nice touch.

Tycho
06-14-2010, 02:25 PM
I like the Headley bobblehead, having the ball on the bat is a nice touch.

Thanks. Kyle Blanks is the giveaway next Saturday. He'll be in the Padres' Sunday military uniforms (they wear camaouflage to honor our troops - they don't need it to steal bases - we already lead the league in that :D )

Clayton Richard (SP) and Everth Cabrera (SS) will be the final installments this year (there's one per month).

After that I'll have:

P: Clayton Richard
C: ??? (I want Nick Hundley with his mask on!)
1st: Adrian Gonzalez
2nd: David Eckstein
3rd: Chase Headley
SS: Everth Cabrerra
LF: Kyle Blanks
CF: ??? (Scott Hairston, Chris Denorfia, or Tony Gwynn, Jr. would be perfect)
RF: ??? (Will Venable, Oscar Salazar, or Jerry Hairston, Jr. would all be cool)

For a batter, I would love a Kevin Kouzmanoff (former Padre) in an Oakland uniform - or his Cleveland uniform when he was the first in all MLB history to hit a grand slam off the first pitch he ever got in his first MLB game in his life! (2006 I think)

figrin bran
06-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Tycho, you'll get a good laugh out of this. Your division rival, the Dodgers, instead of giving away bobbleheads like most teams, is giving away action figures of Matt Kemp and other players in Iron Man type armor suits.

Tycho
06-15-2010, 03:47 AM
Good they'll need the armor because the Padres are going to beat them up so bad the next chance we get!

But San Francisco has become a challenger to us tonight. They're 1/2 game behind.

We lost to the Bluejays tonight. Not Garland's best outing and Mujica? Really?

Plus we left the bases loaded :rolleyes:

JimJamBonds
06-15-2010, 09:25 AM
I have 15ish bobbleheads and some are definitely better then others. And that isn't based on the player, some have better pose's, thats why I said I like Headley bobblehead. While it isn't much different but the ball on the bat is a nice touch to make it just a bit different.

I like the idea of the camo uniforms. The Brewers tend to offer roughly 40,000 jerseys in the current colors and around 5,000 in the 'classic' pinstripe jersey of the early 80's.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-15-2010, 11:21 AM
The Pirates give away their actual players to other teams... :( :mad: How have they become the worst team in the NL (thanks for being a MLB team, Baltimore) again? Oh, that's right; interleague play. I think I hate interleague play. :cry: Arr? :Pirate:

Darth Metalmute
06-15-2010, 01:09 PM
The Pirates give away their actual players to other teams... :( :mad: How have they become the worst team in the NL (thanks for being a MLB team, Baltimore) again? Oh, that's right; interleague play. I think I hate interleague play. :cry: Arr? :Pirate:

I would blame relief pitching. The Pirates should have taken 2 out of 3 against the Tigers.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Oh there's plenty of blame to go around. I just prefer inanimate concepts that can't be traded/given away at the deadline. :upset:

JimJamBonds
06-15-2010, 07:12 PM

And thank god they (Pirates) are that bad, otherwise the Brewers would be in last place. Thanks BCJ! :D

Tycho
06-16-2010, 12:47 PM
San Diego Padres Aaron Cunningham: first hit in a major league game: Grand Slam! (last night vs. Torronto Blue Jays)

The Canadians during our earthquake: AVALANCE!!!

;)

Well the one on Monday night was the fault line shifting.

The one last night was Cunningham (and Eckstein, Gonzalez, and Hundley scoring!)

Bel-Cam Jos
06-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Can I take pride in the fact that the :Pirate:s have a double-digit streak going now? :cry: I guess their own high draft picks don't get the benefit of playing against them to pad their stats.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-21-2010, 05:33 PM
And now they have a WIN streak with the number that means double. Sweet! :thumbsup:

DarthQuack
06-25-2010, 09:27 PM
And now they have a WIN streak with the number that means double. Sweet! :thumbsup:

I just got a Pirates Pepsi cap, is that good luck?? :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
06-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Nice no hitter tonight by..... ummm... the Diamondbacks pitcher. 149 pitches!!!

DarthQuack
06-25-2010, 11:28 PM
Nice no hitter tonight by Edwin Jackson of the Diamondbacks....8 walks and 149 pitches!!!

Fixed ;) Crazy game though!

JimJamBonds
06-26-2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks DQ!

JimJamBonds
06-26-2010, 03:45 PM
I read this and thought of you BCJ, sorry dude!

http://www.theonion.com/articles/pirates-sign-guy-who-successfully-jogged-across-st,17662/

Bel-Cam Jos
06-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Fundamentals first! :Pirate: Five in a row, the wrong way. :(

Slicker
06-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Tigers got hosed again. Thankfully this was merely a victory and not a perfect game.

DarthQuack
06-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Yankees with a sweet comeback against the Dodgers last night, down 4 in the 9th to come back and win it in the 10th! ;)

Tycho
06-29-2010, 06:41 AM
I was at the game tonight, not expecting my Padres to beat Ubaldo Jimenez.

However, we messed him up taking 4 runs out of him starting with a rally led by Adrian Gonzalez.

Our own Kevin Correia (SP) wasn't himself tonight and hasn't really been since the death of his little brother this past month. It was a terrible tragedy for this San Diego family (his brother fell off the cliffs at the beach).

Kevin really might need to take some time off but the Rockies have very strong bats and I wasn't surprised that they took the game.

We kept gaining on them throughout the night though and went down fighting in a 10-6 loss.

They did have us at 6-0 into the 4th inning and were eventually over us 8-0 and then we turned on the power. We might have still lost, but how can they explain themselves nearly losing an 8-0 lead they had on us when we took 4 runs and then 2 more in the later innings. And like I said - we got 2/3 of our runs off Ubaldo Jimenez. So our guys can figure him out. There was no no-hitter for him in San Diego tonight. Our bats will leave their mark on his ERA. :yes:

Darth Metalmute
06-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Tigers are back in first place where they belong.

Hopefully they can take one of the next two and stay there for a while.

Slicker
06-29-2010, 09:28 AM
The Tigers should be up 1.5 games...but they got hosed in that Atlanta game...

Tycho
06-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Atlanta can play some good baseball. I just revel in the fact that we beat them 17-2 on our home-opener in San Diego :D

We took 10 of our runs on them in the 4th inning alone! Fun game. Good memory.

"Everybody hits this inning - twice!" Haha.

Tycho
07-04-2010, 09:27 AM
You can go to PetCo Park to see the First Place San Diego Padres by the water.

The stadium: high holy place of San Diego Baseball as seen from my boat (on approach to another shut-out victory by Mat Latos over Houston's Roy Oswalt).

San Diego Comic Con will be held in the white building in front of the ballpark. There are better pictures of the Convention Center's signature buildings in the San Diego Comic Con thread in the Conventions Forum.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-04-2010, 10:15 PM
The Buccos take 2 of 3 in two straight series (Cubs & Phillies); hey, if these trends continue... :Pirate:

And their best middle reliever (Meek) is their lone All-Star rep. Is that a good thing?

Tycho
07-06-2010, 02:39 AM
Yes, well Jedi Master Yoda has been promoted to the San Diego Padres bullpen (see pic below).

The Force is with the Padres heading into the All-Star Break!

There was an article about Yoda and the Padres on the front page of the Sports section of the San Diego Union-Tribune the other day.

He travels with the team for away games as well as appears in the relief corps at all home games.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-06-2010, 12:53 PM
When a .900 slugging percentage you have, strike out as much, you will not, hmm? Your Friars are doing quite well, Tycho.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Oh, no. The Pirates are scheduled to play the Brewers again. :cry:

I eagerly await their All-Star middle reliever to win the All-Star Game. Is that a bonus in his contract?

DarthQuack
07-09-2010, 07:10 PM
And Cliff Lee is off to the in-division rival Texas Rangers.....instead of my Evil Empire Yankees.....grumble grumble....

JimJamBonds
07-10-2010, 01:23 PM
And Cliff Lee is off to the in-division rival Texas Rangers.....instead of my Evil Empire Yankees.....grumble grumble....

Thanks for using a sensible reaction DQ, unlike some of the things I've read/heard.

I found it hilarious to read that Skankee fans feel "used." Boo freaking whoooo!!!!!!! Ohh my god YOU DIDN'T GET A PLAYER!!!!!!

Bel-Cam Jos
07-10-2010, 11:26 PM
I propose that when the Pittsburgh :Pirate:s play the Milwaukee Brewers, they rename themselves the Washington Generals. Only outscored by two in the series so far, but two 1-run losses are still losses. :nomoralvictories: :(

Tycho
07-11-2010, 12:46 AM
The Padres are in trouble. The Rockies have awakened.

I feared that this would happen. We HAVE TO win tomorrow, to hold sole possession of the NL West .

JimJamBonds
07-11-2010, 12:17 PM
I propose that when the Pittsburgh :Pirate:s play the Milwaukee Brewers, they rename themselves the Washington Generals. Only outscored by two in the series so far, but two 1-run losses are still losses. :nomoralvictories: :(

I'm ok with that. :willtakewhatevervicotytheBrewerscangetevenifitsat theexpenseofBCJandhisBucko's: :D

JimJamBonds
07-11-2010, 06:14 PM

Make that 3 games, 3 losses by 3 runs. Sorry BCJ!

Bel-Cam Jos
07-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Make that 3 games, 3 losses by 3 runs. Sorry BCJ!And now they have an 11-38 record on the road. Star Wars references rule! :p

Tycho
07-12-2010, 06:03 AM
Well my Padres did it - barely. In a see-saw battle they defeated the Rockies yesterday to stay in sole possession of first place by not getting swept.

Colorado is a good team and I always thought that this year they will be very dangerous in the NL West Division.

Now that this has been said: GO PADRES!

Darth Metalmute
07-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Tigers finished up their All-Star Break home stand with a 7-2 record...
yet fell to second place.

DarthQuack
07-12-2010, 09:57 AM
I'll root for Swisher tonight in the Derby being a Yankees fan, that said, I hope he doesn't ruin his swing at all.

JimJamBonds
07-12-2010, 11:02 PM
I'll root for Swisher tonight in the Derby being a Yankees fan, that said, I hope he doesn't ruin his swing at all.

Nah, he should be fine. Hart sure sucked in the second round.:mad:

DarthQuack
07-13-2010, 11:15 AM
RIP George Steinbrenner, dead at 80 from a heart attack. :(

Very sad for this Yankee fan to lose two great men from the Yankee family in less than a week.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-16-2010, 03:16 PM
The trade deadline approaches. Since 1992 A.D., the last year the Pittsburgh Pirates finished the season with a winning record (and made the playoffs, too), let's see some of those who have been let go in trades, free agency, or waivers:

1B Adam LaRoche, Brian Hunter, Randall Simon
2B Jose Lind, Freddy Sanchez, Tony Womack, Bobby Hill, Pokey Reese
SS Jay Bell, Jack Wilson
3B Jeff King, Aramis Ramirez, Charlie Hayes
OF Barry Bonds, Bobby Bonilla, Nate McLouth, Xavier Nady, Jason Bay, Matt Stairs, Brian Giles, Nyger Morgan, Craig Wilson, Al Martin, Jose Guillen, Reggie Sanders Derek Bell, Andy VanSlyke, Gary Matthews Jr.
C Jason Kendall
SP Jason Schmidt, Denny Neagle, Kris Benson, Oliver Perez, Doug Drabek, Tom Gorzellany, Ian Snell, Kip Wells, Tim Wakefield, Jon Lieber, Josh Fogg, Bronson Arroyo
RP Matt Capps, Mike Williams, Jeff Suppan, Jose Mesa, Jason Christiansen, Salomon Torres Mike Fetters

I don't know who would go this year, but I hope they stay here for a change.

JimJamBonds
07-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Wow thats quite the list BJC!

Tycho
07-16-2010, 06:47 PM
There are some good players on that list BCJ.

Meanwhile, the Padres might be negotiating to secure Corey Hart from Milwaukee. I could see this to add a bat to protect Adrian and Hart would fit well on our team.

Meanwhile, Mat Latos sneezed. Yes he sneezed. He will be added to a weeklong disabled list so that he can blow his nose and avert any more serious injury, like from maybe getting the hiccups.

The Coach got the number for 9-1-1 on speedial now just in case Mat also coughs. lol

He'll be back out there Strasburgen' it by the time we have to deal with Los Angeles again.

Go Padres!

Bel-Cam Jos
07-19-2010, 11:30 AM
A winning streak! (2-0) :D But now they play against the natural enemies of pirates: brewers. :bottleofrum:

Tycho
07-19-2010, 03:27 PM
My Padres swept the Diamondbacks 3 in a row which were needed wins to remain in first place as we face the Braves for 3 games starting tomorrow. I went to all 3 homegames to see them live. Nothing but great times!

I am definitely not expecting wins in the first road series but know that for my team they ARE achievable.

So Padres:

1) Avert the sweep early by winning Tuesday if possible
2) Win the series by picking up a win on Wed or Thu

*I am just hoping the avert being swept even this early but hope I'm pleasantly surprised. It is possible for the Padres to take Atlanta! We killed them 17-2 before in THIS season's home opener. I was there when we messed 'em up! :twisted:

I will be at Comic Con and might miss a bit of this series on TV.**

We won't sweep Atlanta, so I'm not worried about that.

This is where we can afford to take the losses on our record, but if we make the championship, we'll need to be prepared to face Atlanta anyway. Let's use this series for practice.

**Tuesday I will have SirSteve arrive and will be entertaining him. He may or may not want to watch some local baseball while we have lunch or something. Of course I know where to take him though.

**Wednesday - I will probably be on my own since I don't have a Sneak Preview Night pass (Steve does) but I can probably watch the middle game free and clear. It would be what I'd be doing anyway, if it was not Comic Con.

**Thursday - I will absolutely have to miss this game so I can do my events at Comic Con. I'll check the score on my cell phone.

**FRI-SUN - I'll be missing all these games as my Padres play the Pirates. I know they have fans on the boards here, so here is their chance to pick up wins (like that will be easy for Pittsburgh! ;) ) while I am not concentrating all of my Force powers to bolster the Padres as I'll be distracted by Comic Con. HOWEVER, Jedi Master Yoda will be in Pennsylvania to support our team as part of the plan initiated by All-Star Heath Bell and Padawan Ryan Webb. :yes: (He has to wear Yoda in his backpack to every Padre game - it's "a Bell thing," most likely. See the team picture I posted a page or so back.)

The Force will still be strong at the San Diego Comic Con and with the San Diego Padres!

"Use the Force Luke (Gregorson, late inning relief pitcher)!"

Yup: Coach put something in the Cool-Aid for sure.

JimJamBonds
07-20-2010, 07:25 AM
A winning streak! (2-0) :D But now they play against the natural enemies of pirates: brewers. :bottleofrum:

Not so good for your boys BCJ!

Tycho
07-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Bel-Cam: my team will see your team in Pittsburgh on Friday!

The Force is with us. Master Yoda will be there! (I'm serious and I think I linked to the article from the San Diego Union-Tribune that confirmed that. Yoda is part of our bullpen team).

JimJamBonds
07-20-2010, 07:43 PM

9 -0 in the top of the first. I'm not going to bother watching tonight and I'm going to chalk it up as a loss.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-21-2010, 01:18 AM
Okay, here's where the Buccos make their move. They've let all of MLB think of them as a doormat so far, but then they'll go 25-2, lose 4 in a row, then win 12 straight to get back into the weak NL Central. :thumbsup: :Pirate: :D

Tycho
07-21-2010, 11:08 AM
They can lose 3 of those 4 against my Padres to start your fantasy off with, then. :D

David Eckstein is out injured. :(

This does not bode well for my team.

JimJamBonds
07-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Okay, here's where the Buccos make their move. They've let all of MLB think of them as a doormat so far...

Well MLB will have its guard down since they are in the middle of their 18th straight losing season. :D

Bel-Cam Jos
07-21-2010, 06:12 PM
You just gave me an idea for a new sig line... :evil:

JimJamBonds
07-22-2010, 05:52 PM
You just gave me an idea for a new sig line... :evil:

I like it!

I don't know if you've been following it but what a crazy series this has been BCJ!

Bel-Cam Jos
07-26-2010, 06:31 PM
They can lose 3 of those 4 against my Padres to start your fantasy off with, then. :D

David Eckstein is out injured. :(

This does not bode well for my team.You're welcome, Tycho. :bored: By the way, NO ONE bodes unwell when the Pirates are involved. :cry: I heard a rumor of teams interested in Garrett Jones. JONES!!! Didn't Beloq say something about "nothing you have that [MLB teams] cannot possess"? :mad:

Tycho
08-01-2010, 03:38 AM
We picked up:

INF Tejada for his bat (picture attached)

OF Ludwig for his bat (he starts today)

MRP Chewbacca for his extra strong arm (picture attached)

Chewie is to the right of Yoda (right of Heath Bell) in the blurred picture and hard to see since his fur matches our bullpen bench. In the clearer picture, he is being blocked by Hatch, our practice catcher.

Yes, Chewbacca joins Yoda in the bullpen and I have some of the first images. You might not see these on MLB.com!

Yoda also appears on the big screen urging our team on through the Force.

I snapped some pics of Miguel Tejada on his first day as a Padre, too.

We got him because he can tie his own shoes (see images attached).

JimJamBonds
08-01-2010, 05:27 PM
I snapped some pics of Miguel Tejada on his first day as a Padre, too.

We got him because he can tie his own shoes (see images attached).

And take HGH. lol

Bel-Cam Jos
08-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Swept in San Diego. The :Pirate:s now have the worst record in MLB. :(:(:(:cry::(:mad::(

Tycho
08-13-2010, 11:23 PM
My Padres, 2.5 over San Francisco, are playing them right now. It's 2-2 as I post and Chase Headley is on 3rd and Scott Hairston on first, by a walk just as I typed this.

Chris Denorfia is up now.

Let's Go Padres!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-21-2010, 10:08 AM
So, what's your team been doing over the period it takes a US citizen to be able to vote, buy a lottery ticket, or join the military? (check my updated sig line for more details)

CaptainSolo1138
08-22-2010, 01:01 AM
If the Nats don't put St. Stephen on the shelf for the rest of the year they should be shot in public. The ticket sales aren't worth ruining the kid.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Notice I mentioned his Hall of Fame 520-30, 6021 strikeouts, 259 shutouts, 18 no-hitters and 3 perfect games, two 27-Ks games, 16-time World Series champion, 18-time All-Star Game starting pitcher career record. :p

Dubious honor? Slicker called it right; schedule the Buccos and good things might happen. :( Little early to give him all this gushing praise. But he did look pretty good for his first start.Tommy John? That is a person's name that NO pitcher EVER wants to hear.

Oh, no. The Pirates are scheduled to play the Brewers again. :cry:Once more, I weep. :cry: Unless they can Bucc up and beat their division drinking buddy. :Pirate: Arr?

JimJamBonds
08-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Once more, I weep. :cry: Unless they can Bucc up and beat their division drinking buddy. :Pirate: Arr?

The Brewers have been so up and down this year I wouldn't be surprised if they swept or were swept.

Tycho
08-27-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm just about to head out to sit in the Omni Premier Club for an all-you-can-eat gourmet buffet dinner right over home plate as the Padres take on the Phillies (Latos vs. Oswalt!!!)

These are going to be awesome seats for an awesome game.

Below is from the new "opening crawl" of the San Diego Padres' games, played with Star Wars music. I will try to get the entire wording and post it later. But it starts out with San Diego: Episode 2010.

It is a period of rookies' season... and you can read some of the rest in my photo.

Yes, the ballplayer's wife behind that one is also pictured. ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
08-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Dude! The Padres now play games at the Convention Center?!? Sweet!

Oh. Newsflash: The Good Land-ers defeated the :Pirate:s last night. :(

JimJamBonds
08-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Oh. Newsflash: The Good Land-ers defeated the :Pirate:s last night. :(

The Good Land-ers?!?!?! :confused::confused::confused:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Alice Cooper once taught us that "Mill-ee-wok-ay" was an Algonquin word meaning, "the good land."

But an extra-inning loss for the Buccos was not good. :(

JimJamBonds
08-29-2010, 03:27 PM
But an extra-inning loss for the Buccos was not good. :(

I'm not sure what it is, if the Bucco's just can't beat the Brewers or the Brewers can't allow themselves to be beaten by the Bucco's. Either way I'll take it. The one bad thing is that the Brewers winning those two games hinders the ability of my dream scenario coming true. The Cubs finishing at the bottom of the division. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
09-05-2010, 10:20 AM
The :Pirate:s need to go 27-9 (.750) to end the year to avoid losing 100 games. Wait, let me rephrase that: the Pirates need to lose 9 or less games and have 27 rainouts/bees swarms/blizzards/visiting team bus trip cancellations/wins to avoid such a travesty.

Hey, it could happen.

Cue Wayne's World monkeys flying line. :rolleyes:

Tycho
09-07-2010, 06:34 AM
I was there at PETCO Park tonight to see the Padres stop their 10-game losing streak and beat the Dodgers!

It's about time. I've been pretty mad at those guys for this boondoggle.

I know the Padres are better than that.

At least tonight they proved it.

But one game is NOT a winning streak. Let's keep it up SD! :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
09-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Congrats to Trevor Hoffman for getting his 600th save in tonight's Brewers game! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tycho
09-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Congrats to Trevor Hoffman for getting his 600th save in tonight's Brewers game! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Where's the "LIKE button?" Oh yeah. This isn't Facebook.

But GO TREVOR!!!

I can hear "Hell's Bells!"

DarthQuack
09-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Just heard Bob Uecker's call on ESPNRadio on my way back to work....Rivera is still my top closer though. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
09-08-2010, 08:21 PM
If you're going by productivity and numbers, Rivera gets a lot of credit. But as an awesome lookign reliever, Kent Tekulve submarines them all! I mean, his 70s and 80s :Pirate: uni and cap, the gangly arms and legs, plus the shades, with his delivery? No contest.

Watch out; Buccos have taken the first two from the ATL... but pay no attention to that 8-0 deficit in tonight's game. :rolleyes:

JimJamBonds
09-09-2010, 07:38 PM
If you're going by productivity and numbers, Rivera gets a lot of credit. But as an awesome lookign reliever, Kent Tekulve submarines them all! I mean, his 70s and 80s :Pirate: uni and cap, the gangly arms and legs, plus the shades, with his delivery? No contest.

I fired up the google machine and after seeing a pic of Kent I actually remember him! I love submarine throwers!

Bel-Cam Jos
09-17-2010, 10:49 PM
If they can go 14-1 to end the year from now on, the :Pirate:s will avoid a 100-loss season. :thumbsup:

They deserve to win on Sunday, too, being International Talk Like a Pirate Day. :lipsrsealed:

DarthQuack
09-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The Yankees are doing alright....still worried about the rotation come playoff time.

Tycho
09-23-2010, 04:27 AM
OK. The Padres are back in 1st place by half a game since the Cubs beat SF, and we Friars beat L.A. twice in a row already! (Clayton Richard pitched a complete game 6-0 shutout for us last night!)

Now my predictions:

NL WEST.................................AL WEST
San Diego Padres* Texas Rangers

NL CENTRAL.............................AL CENTRAL
Cincinatti Reds Minnesota Twins

NL EAST..................................AL EAST
Philadelphia Phillies....................New York Yankees

NL WILD CARD..........................AL WILD CARD
Atlanta Braves..........................Tampa Bay Rays

After that....

The Padres play Cincinatti in the regular season this weekend. It could be a good indicator of how these teams could handle themselves in the playoffs, but they might never meet.

Does it go by record? Then the Phillies will take out the Reds and the Padres will take out the Braves (maybe).

Then the Phillies would likely take out the Padres - but I hope not.

In the AL, the Rangers can beat any team except the Yankees - though they might be able to do that. The Rays and Twins may fall.

In the end....

The World Series could be the Phillies vs. the Yankees. Isn't that a re-run? Yeah well, it wouldn't surprise me. The$e team$, you know$.....

Bel-Cam Jos
09-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Well, the season-best 5-game win streak ended for the Buccos, but if they run the table over the last 10 games (or we can get a few rainouts :p ), they'll avoid 100 losses. Let's go Bucs! :Pirate: Arr! :thumbsup:

Here's my preferences for the playoffs, based on who's statistically still alive to do so:
NL West (Padres)
NL Central (Cincy)
NL East (Phillies)
NL Wild Card (can't believe I'm saying this, but the Braves... just to send Bobby Cox out with one more post season)

AL West (Rangers)
AL Central (Twins... really? :p )
AL East (Rays)
AL Wild Card (White Sox... that's right; sorry, Yanks)

[edit]Checked an update on today's games: in the same game, Blue Jay Bautista reaches 50 HRs for the first time in team history (and the tops in MLB this season), while Ichiro gets his 10th straight 200+ hit season... in each of his 10 MLB seasons. Wow.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-24-2010, 11:13 PM
Sigh...

First to 100 wins something, right? Oh? It's not that 100 losses wins something?

Arr. :Pirate: :cry:

JimJamBonds
09-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Sigh...

First to 100 wins something, right? Oh? It's not that 100 losses wins something?

Arr. :Pirate: :cry:

Well it looks like the Buco's will "win" the first draft in next June's amateur draft. :D

Lord Malakite
09-25-2010, 02:12 AM
The Padres play Cincinatti in the regular season this weekend. It could be a good indicator of how these teams could handle themselves in the playoffs, but they might never meet.
Cincinnati needs to beat the Padres this week. Our "magic number" for clinching the NL Central is at 3. Either 3 more Reds wins, 3 more Cardinals losses, or one of the two possible "Reds win/Cards lose" combos and we are in.:thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-02-2010, 10:23 PM
The last day of the season will determine several things:
- who will be the AL East champ or the AL Wild Card? and does it really matter?
- who will be the NL West champ? I would LOOOOOVE the scenario where the Giants, Braves, and Padres are all 91-71, and have to play TWO games after the 162 (one team could even play 164 :eek: ) to determine who goes on
- will the Pirates tie the 1960s Mets with the fewest road wins (17) in a season?
- who are the MVPs, Cy Youngs, and Rookies of the Year in each league?

Tycho
10-03-2010, 11:41 AM
The Padres have to win today to tie it all up in the NL West and push to get the title in a tie-breaker or pick up the Wild Card and a chance in the post-season.

I have my tickets!

And I believe in my team!

CaptainSolo1138
10-03-2010, 03:29 PM
- who are the MVPs, Cy Youngs, and Rookies of the Year in each league?

AL MVP: Miguel Cabrera
NL MVP: Carlos Gonzales

AL ROY: Weak crop. Any prediction would be a homer pick.
NL ROY: Buster Posey

AL Cy Young: CC Sabathia (simply because he's a Yankee)
NL Cy Young: Roy Halladay

Tycho
10-04-2010, 01:52 AM
Look: here are my San Diego Padres World Series tickets!

2-1B
10-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Tycho, what Practical Joke store did you buy those at? :p

Darth Metalmute
10-04-2010, 09:32 AM
AL MVP: Miguel Cabrera (But I think Josh Hamilton wins it)
NL MVP: Joey Vetto

AL ROY: Austin Jackson
NL ROY: Buster Posey

AL Cy Young: David Price (but I think the Seattle pitcher will win it. The press loves to do stupid things like that)
NL Cy Young: Roy Halladay

JimJamBonds
10-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Tycho, what Practical Joke store did you buy those at? :p

All playoff tickets are printed at the same time. Two years ago when the Brewers made it to the playoffs I held in my hands WS tickets as well.

2-1B
10-04-2010, 06:34 PM
All playoff tickets are printed at the same time.

I know. :p

Bel-Cam Jos
10-04-2010, 11:50 PM
Now, before you laugh, hear me out. When the Pirates won the NL East back in '92,

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ah... where was I? Oh, I was able to get NL Championship tickets in Pittsburgh because I knew exactly when the games would be at which team's home, months before the series began. That also made for some memorable playoff games, without All-Star Games determining home-field advantage. Would the '87 Twins have won a road game vs. St. Louis? Would Maz have hit such a pitch in Yankee Stadium in '60? Would the Dodgers have had a game 1 miracle PH Gibson WR in '88?

What was I saying? Oh, yeah; I miss when the :Pirate:s were playoff-worthy. :cry:

Tycho
10-05-2010, 03:40 AM
NL Championship Series:

Phillies vs Red: = Phillies

Giants vs Braves = Giants

Phillies vs Giants = Phillies

----------------------------------

AL Championship Series:

Rays vs Rangers = Rays

Yankees vs Twins = Yankees

Rays vs Yankees = ??? (probably Yankees)

World Series:

AL vs Phillies

I don't think I'll watch it, but read about it every day in the newspaper.

DarthQuack
10-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Let's go Yankees! Where's my Hamlin buddies that LOVE the Yankees? ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
10-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Wish List?
Twins over Jankees, Rays over Rangers; Twins over Rays.
Reds over Phillies, Braves over Giants; Red over Braves.
Twins over Reds.

Reality?
Yanks over Twins, Rays over Rangers; Rays over NY.
Phillies over Reds, Giants over Braves; Phillies over Giants.
Phillies over Rays.

Oh, Pirates fired whomever has been their manager the last three years (almost 300 losses over that span).

Tycho
10-06-2010, 01:59 AM
Bel-Cam, we're on the exact same page for the MLB championships. That's for sure.

Oh, Pirates fired whomever has been their manager the last three years (almost 300 losses over that span).

Yes. Don't they have a Scratch-And-Win contest they are selling tickets for?

If you draw the lucky card, you get to be the next manager?

I may have heard that they're going to try that one next. :D

Bel-Cam Jos
10-07-2010, 07:51 PM
I think the biggest question is: do they really need a manager? They should just let the players play anyone anywhere, and let all the other MLB general managers watch, and decide which guys they'll steal, um trade for, later. :mad:

So, can the Rangers their first EVER playoff series? It'll be a horrendous collapse of epic proportions if they don't now.

Tycho
10-08-2010, 06:17 PM
NL Championship Series:

Phillies vs Red: = Phillies

Giants vs Braves = Giants

Phillies vs Giants = Phillies

----------------------------------

AL Championship Series:

Rays vs Rangers = Rays I might be wrong here! :eek:

Yankees vs Twins = Yankees

Rays vs Yankees = ??? (probably Yankees) I might be wrong here! :eek: - We'll see if the Rangers can do it. It sure looks like it right now!

World Series:

AL vs Phillies

I don't think I'll watch it, but read about it every day in the newspaper.

I made some corrections to my predictions to reflect the current situation in the division series above.

Tycho
10-12-2010, 12:44 AM
Well most of the series have been won predictably.

Phillies and Giants.

Yankees.

Now I have to learn what will become of the Rangers and Rays???

It's still heading towards the Phillies vs. Yankees again, though.

Tycho
10-14-2010, 06:41 AM
There was a movie, "61*" in Wal-Mart tonight. I thought about buying it, but I'd never heard of it before.

It's actors, playing Mickey Mantle, Babe Ruth, and a few others.

The story is about the Yankees - so I've temporarily balked.

San Diego Padres fans are allergic to Yankees. Repulsed by them. Disgusted by them. Well, you get the idea.

But these baseball greats were not responsible for the 1998 World Series loss of the Padres.

Still, I resent seeing the Yankee uniform...

But has anybody seen this movie? Is it any good?

TeeEye7
10-14-2010, 11:04 AM
But has anybody seen this movie? Is it any good?

This movie was never up for any Academy Awards if that's what you mean.

It's about Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris trying to beat Babe Ruth's home run record in a single season (do they do it? Who does it?). It's also about Maris being in the shadow of Mantle who was the pin-striped god at the time.

If, as you say, Babe Ruth is in it, he's either a flash-back or a corpse as he was dead by the time this story takes place.

It's an OK movie, especially if it's in the $5 bin or rented thru Netflix. I've seen worse.

JimJamBonds
10-14-2010, 12:46 PM
There was a movie, "61*" in Wal-Mart tonight. I thought about buying it, but I'd never heard of it before.

Its from a handful of years ago, Billy Crystal directed it. From what I remember I thought it was pretty good, Berry Pepper played a good Rodger Marris.

TeeEye7
10-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Berry Pepper played a good Rodger Marris.

Agreed...!

2-1B
10-14-2010, 10:30 PM
and Tom Jane as Mantle.

It was made for HBO, so no Oscar candidacy but it had a nice showing at the Emmy's and Golden Globes with many nominations.

Tycho
10-15-2010, 01:27 AM
Interesting. Then for $5, I might pick it up.

I like baseball.

I like movies.

I love the Major League movies.

So therefore I conclude I might like THIS baseball movie.

Yes, I realize that 61* is not a comedy.

I think the next baseball comedy should be Wierd Al playing Mark McGwire. :yes: That would be funny.

Then Anthony Anderson could play Sammy Sosa. :D

They could have a segment with modern-player interviews, and Cher could play Tim Lincecum. ;)

JimJamBonds
10-15-2010, 11:23 AM
and Tom Jane as Mantle.

And lets not forget Anthony Michael Hall as Whitey Ford.

TeeEye7
10-15-2010, 11:39 AM
...and Jerry Mathers as The Beaver.

JimJamBonds
10-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Stupid Rangers bullpen way to blow it!!! :angry:

DarthQuack
10-16-2010, 04:23 PM
The Yankees scratch out a win! Couldn't believe the comeback, but then again, they are the Yankees and do magical things in October. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
10-17-2010, 10:06 AM
I thought the news wires were wrong, after I read your post, DQ, thinking you were commenting on Game 2. :eek: Right now, I guess I have donned Yankee Punk Stripes and am rooting for any team but NY. :temporaryyankeehater: My preferences to win it all?

- Phillies (45%)
- Rangers (45%)
- Giants (20%)
- Yankees (wait, that's already over 100%... oh, I get it... -10% :p )

DarthQuack
10-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Their starting pitching is just awful, and I don't see them winning this series if the starters continue to not show up. Yes they got lucky in game 1, but that won't last as evident as game 2's performance. Lee vs Pettitte could be the matchup(s) of the series, in game 3 and potentially in game 7.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-19-2010, 12:25 AM
Everything's bigger and better in Texas. Go Rangers! (and let Nolan Ryan pitch for 'em)

TeeEye7
10-19-2010, 03:57 AM
Ah, The Ryan Express! Only a 96-year-old would remember that! ;)

JimJamBonds
10-19-2010, 09:23 AM
... (and let Nolan Ryan pitch for 'em)

You do know he hit more people then any other pitcher in MLB history right?

Bel-Cam Jos
10-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Hmm... all-time K leader also the bean ball leader? Not surprised. I believe he also has the worst win percentage for a 300-game winner (maybe even the all-time loss leader). Pitch from the late 60s to the mid 90s and you'll be all-time in many categories.

But will I remember it when I turn 97 soon? :tired: Who? What? :confused:

JimJamBonds
10-20-2010, 06:41 AM
Stupid game 1, otherwise the Rangers would have closed out last night.

DarthQuack
10-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Ugh, the Yankees have just been so disappointing with their hitting, starting pitching, and relief pitching. What else can I be mad at them for?

Rocketboy
10-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Ugh, the Yankees have just been so disappointing with their hitting, starting pitching, and relief pitching. What else can I be mad at them for?How about being mad at them for being the yankees?
:)
That's why I hate 'em!

JimJamBonds
10-20-2010, 03:17 PM
How about being mad at them for being the yankees?
:)
That's why I hate 'em!

I like the way you think RB! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

DarthQuack
10-20-2010, 03:39 PM
Bitter fans are uniting to hate the Yankees!! Big shocker there! :P

And what great news to see if the series goes 7 games they have to face Lee again in Game 7. :X Would rather see them go down before losing in 7 games.

Tycho
10-20-2010, 07:44 PM
I also echo Rocketboy's sentiments towards the Yankees.

However, I'm surprised that it looks like Texas might take them!

I'm also surprised that the Phillies just didn't close down the Giants by now.

I am kind of angry at the Giants for taking away my Padres' chance at the big games, however, I'm no fan of the crown-prince Phillies either.

I still can't watch the games. These aren't my teams. However I read the sports page every morning.

In Padres news, the team expects to keep Adrian Gonzalez after his shoulder surgery. Sorry, but it doesn't look like any of you guys will take our first baseman.

I hope the same holds true for Heath Bell.

Chris Young will be our worst loss I expect so far. I really want the owners to dip into their pockets and pay for him.

Anyway, most of our infield (except for our catchers which we're likely keeping) and our outfield are all tentative. Oh - Miguel Tejada is very likely staying and playing as a Padre next season, but the shortstop is moving to 3rd base almost assuredly.

Of course I've heard and seen snippets of Lee, Matt Cain, and some of the other heroic performances going on in the MLB right now. And Atlanta just released a top player (trying to remember who) that I thought maybe the Padres could pick up.

DarkArtist
10-22-2010, 11:13 AM
hoping that after tonight it will be a Texas vs Giants World Series !!!!!!

Let's Go Rangers !!!!!:D

DarthQuack
10-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Let's go Yankees!! Fight to get the rematch with Lee! On to Game 7!

Bel-Cam Jos
10-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Would a "let's go Bucs!" cheer seem empty now? Or, is it ever unempty? :cry: I could cheer for the team with the most former Pirates, I guess. :upset:

The media's or ratings' choice? Yankees/Phillies.
The country's fans' choice? Yankees/Giants (maybe?).
The underdog's choice? Rangers/Giants.
The indifferents' choice? Meh/Eh.

Slicker
10-23-2010, 11:15 AM
I personally think the Yankees messed up by not starting Pettitte on short rest instead of saving him for a game 7 that was far from guaranteed.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-24-2010, 10:21 AM
The media's or ratings' choice? Yankees/Phillies.
The country's fans' choice? Yankees/Giants (maybe?).
The underdog's choice? Rangers/Giants.
The indifferents' choice? Meh/Eh.So? Worst WS ratings ever?
I shall root for Those, Those on the Range over the Big Humans.

Tycho
10-25-2010, 06:23 AM
Texas is the only team I don't have something against.

Giants - beat the Padres and didn't really "earn it."

Yankees - beat the Padres in the 1998 World Series. Plus everyone hates the Yankees.

Phillies - smoked the Padres in our own stadium when I had homeplate seats and was forced to watch it. Plus they're always in the World Series like they made reservations or something - though I can't believe the Giants out-pitched them - but that's the only way they were going to win.

So OK: go Texas! Whatever.

Darth Metalmute
10-26-2010, 09:27 AM
So? Worst WS ratings ever?
I shall root for Those, Those on the Range over the Big Humans.

Since the only playoff baseball I have seen this fall has been the Rangers celebration.... I would guess Fox will not pick up baseball when there contract is up.

DarthQuack
10-26-2010, 11:17 AM
I'll be rooting for the Rangers, I'm a big Josh Hamilton fan even though he destroyed my Yankees. :)

Tycho
10-30-2010, 12:10 PM
The San Diego Union Tribune had a blurb today with side-by-side pictures comparing Tim Lincecum to JarJar Binks. The article read: "Separated at birth."

It suggested that one brother might win for his franchise, while the other, THOUGH HE LOOKS ALIKE, almost detroyed his franchise.

I think I know which "brother" they refer to in each example.

Anyway, their pictures suggest that Lincecum's hair and JarJar's ears give them the same silhouette. Both are tall, skinny, and odd, too.

JimJamBonds
10-30-2010, 04:46 PM
The San Diego Union Tribune had a blurb today with side-by-side pictures comparing Tim Lincecum to JarJar Binks. The article read: "Separated at birth."

It suggested that one brother might win for his franchise, while the other, THOUGH HE LOOKS ALIKE, almost detroyed his franchise.

I think I know which "brother" they refer to in each example.

Anyway, their pictures suggest that Lincecum's hair and JarJar's ears give them the same silhouette. Both are tall, skinny, and odd, too.

I couldn't find the article you mentioned Tycho but I did find this little gem: Jar Jar Salads!

http://blog.moviefone.com/2008/09/04/fan-made-create-your-own-jar-jar-binks-salad/

Bel-Cam Jos
10-30-2010, 09:53 PM
Well, there will be at least one November World Series game after all. Go Rangers.

I don't know which is worse: baseball WS in Nov. or the Super Bowl in Feb.

JimJamBonds
10-31-2010, 06:59 PM
Well, there will be at least one November World Series game after all. Go Rangers.

I don't know which is worse: baseball WS in Nov. or the Super Bowl in Feb.

I don't like the idea of making the Wild Card series best of 7. Bad idea.

In a couple of years the Super Bowl will be MID Feb (after they tack on 2 more regular season games). :crazed::crazed::crazed:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-31-2010, 07:13 PM
I don't like the idea of making the Wild Card series best of 7. Bad idea.

In a couple of years the Super Bowl will be MID Feb (after they tack on 2 more regular season games). :crazed::crazed::crazed:But if they get rid of 2 preseason ones, won't it still be the same time?

Darth Metalmute
11-01-2010, 09:04 AM
But if they get rid of 2 preseason ones, won't it still be the same time?

Yeah, the season will start sooner, but probably not it August. My guess is they will add another bye week for each team as well.

Baseball in November is definately worse. Nothing beats a 32 degree day in the North for the most important game of the season.

It's never bad to have more football. The more football, the less basketball. It would be great if the week after the Super Bowl, March Madness starts.

JimJamBonds
11-01-2010, 04:37 PM
But if they get rid of 2 preseason ones, won't it still be the same time?

From what I've heard the NFL wants to go deeper into February since there isn't much going on. If they start sooner they are up against MLB and college football.

Yeah, the season will start sooner, but probably not it August. My guess is they will add another bye week for each team as well.

Baseball in November is definately worse. Nothing beats a 32 degree day in the North for the most important game of the season.

It's never bad to have more football. The more football, the less basketball. It would be great if the week after the Super Bowl, March Madness starts.

I agree that baseball in November is silly, people forget that it can and does snow in say Chicago, Colorado and Minnesota during those early season games.

I'd be cool with the NCAA tourney starting right(ish) after the Super Bowl. Just don't do something stupid like making the tourney 8 weeks long. :rolleyes:

As far as "its never bad to have more football" lets not kill the golden goose. There are multiple teams that are having major problems selling out 8 games, if they add another that won't make things any easier.

Darth Metalmute
11-02-2010, 08:34 AM
As far as "its never bad to have more football" lets not kill the golden goose. There are multiple teams that are having major problems selling out 8 games, if they add another that won't make things any easier.

The games that don't sell out are more due economical conditions and team success than popularity.

The Lions, Raiders, Bills, Jags, Rams, Dolphins, Chargers, Arizona, and Cincinnatti have attendence problems, with 7 of those teams being league doormats. In San Deigo and Miami, why go to a game when you can watch the game on the beach with beautiful women in November?

The average NFL ticket price is in the neighborhood of 75 dollars a seat. Who wants to go spend that, along with parking fees, $13 beers, and expensive fast food? Plus, having been to over a dozen NFL games in my life, it's not a great watch. It's much better on TV.

Oh yeah, congratulations San Francisco Giants.

Tycho
11-02-2010, 01:27 PM
We can't watch the game on the beach in November (unless you can broadcast it somehow off the internet) because they black the game out in our local San Diego area.

I am a reeling, painfully wounded Padres fan (especially since San Fran won it all and we beat them like 8 times next to 4 losses against them whenever we played them last season!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!)

So though I live within walking distance to Qualcomm Stadium, I have not been in the mood for football until maybe now. The Chargers win over the Titans last weekend has sort of inspired me to follow them for at least next weekend (though I don't even know who they are playing - the schedule's on my refridgerator and I can't see it from here).

Darth Metalmute
11-02-2010, 04:15 PM
We can't watch the game on the beach in November (unless you can broadcast it somehow off the internet) because they black the game out in our local San Diego area.

They have that now. But you have to be a direct TV member.

Tycho
11-03-2010, 05:00 AM
I used to have DirectTV.

Switched to TimeWarner. They respect the local market and provide the Padres' Channel - though a lot of that is on the back of Cox Cable Company who tried to hold a monopoly on the Padres' games. TimeWarner went to court and won against Cox to bring all San Diego residents an option for baseball.