PDA

View Full Version : Interview with admitted scalpers

pbarnard
01-08-2010, 11:58 AM
http://www.articulateddiscussion.com/post/Scalped!-Interview-with-the-Enemy.aspx

Was linked to this from joebattlelines.com boards. Thought I'd share.

El Chuxter
01-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Interesting. If a friend, maybe even someone who lives in Canada and has no Targets and can't find the exclusives, asks me to get something, and I do, and he pays me cost plus shipping, then I'm a scalper? The one guy's logic seems a little suspect.

bigbarada
01-08-2010, 01:09 PM
They do make an interesting point about collectors who buy toys for the sole purpose of storing them away to resell 20 years down the road. But I think using that to defend scalping is more of a straw man argument. Most collectors should know by now that the toys that we're seeing on the store shelves right now are NEVER going to attain the same value as the vintage line.

Simply put, all of those collectors storing their toys away hoping that they will increase in value will be thwarted by all of those collectors storing their toys away hoping they will increase in value. :yes:

Also, if someone sells vintage carded figures for anything more than $3 a piece, then doesn't that make them a scalper as well?:D

Anyways, I will buy the occasional figure to see if I can make a profit on Ebay. However, I never set the starting bid any higher than my actual cost (most of the time, I set it lower in order to encourage bidding), this way people are free to determine for themselves how much they want to pay. That's called a free market, not scalping.

If I were to buy a $7.46 figure from Wal-Mart, then immediately list it on Ebay for $19.99, then that would be scalping.

elvandrik
01-08-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm sure these guys are all HUGE ladies magnets too. I'm sure the bed they roll out of is located located in their mom's basement. There is only one reason that we need scalpers; so we all have someone we can look down on and feel good about ourselves. :twisted: So from the bottom of my heart, thank you!

Any grown man who spends his free time driving around retail stores so he can RESELL action figures he doesn't need is a 100% loser. Seriously, these guys need to realize that if they spent as much time in college or trade school getting an education as they did driving around and listing all the toys they think they are getting rich off of, they wouldn't need to scalp toys because they'd actually have enough $$ to support their hobbies. And you still have to figure in gas and listing fees. It would be different if we were talking big amounts of money, but these guys are trying to squeeze a few extra bucks out of something that is not incredibly value to begin with. If you want to make real money, invest in stocks or something, not action figures. They'd make more money if they just pan-handled in front of Walmart. And if you're really so poor that you have to scalp figures to fund your own purchases of Star Wars figures, then I would say that perhaps you need re-examine your financial priorities in light of your economic challenges. This reminds me of those cocaine addicts who sell to fund their own addiction.

pbarnard
01-08-2010, 03:43 PM
If you want to make real money, invest in stocks or something, not action figures.

Actually the one guy does say pretty much this.

I think what drives scalping now is collector impatience. They have to have it now, they can't wait for other avenues or for it to be repacked in later assortments. They'll resort to paying anything to have it in their hands, and sadly scalpers amorally give it to them.

bigbarada
01-08-2010, 07:44 PM
I'm sure these guys are all HUGE ladies magnets too. I'm sure the bed they roll out of is located located in their mom's basement. There is only one reason that we need scalpers; so we all have someone we can look down on and feel good about ourselves. :twisted: So from the bottom of my heart, thank you!

Any grown man who spends his free time driving around retail stores so he can RESELL action figures he doesn't need is a 100% loser. Seriously, these guys need to realize that if they spent as much time in college or trade school getting an education as they did driving around and listing all the toys they think they are getting rich off of, they wouldn't need to scalp toys because they'd actually have enough $$ to support their hobbies. And you still have to figure in gas and listing fees. It would be different if we were talking big amounts of money, but these guys are trying to squeeze a few extra bucks out of something that is not incredibly value to begin with. If you want to make real money, invest in stocks or something, not action figures. They'd make more money if they just pan-handled in front of Walmart. And if you're really so poor that you have to scalp figures to fund your own purchases of Star Wars figures, then I would say that perhaps you need re-examine your financial priorities in light of your economic challenges. This reminds me of those cocaine addicts who sell to fund their own addiction.

Well, scalpers have been around since the vintage line and they've continuously been a serious problem since the line rebooted in 1995. So I would be the inclined to think that it's obviously very profitable, otherwise the scalpers would have all given up around 1996.

Like it or not, some people are willing to pay 2-5 times what a figure is worth just so they can have it immediately. And there are enough of those people out there to keep the scalpers in business.