PDA

View Full Version : Legacy "Vintage" Collection - Now with Ep 2!

JediTricks
01-09-2010, 05:27 PM
http://www.toyark.com/news/star-wars-toy-news-3/vintage-cardbacks-and-fx-lightsabers-with-removable-blades-2208/

Um, what? The? Fuuuuuuuudddggge?
Vintage Figures (# 97568)
Hasbro will be releasing vintage cardbacks for this years basic figure collection. The pics show (VOTC) was used to illustrate the vintage look and the direction of the line. We will see the actual product at this years Toy Fair.

Collectors focused SKU
Collection of best figures in the market
Episode II on vintage card for the first time
Select packages will be foiled to create a Bounty Hunt for collectors

There will also be a Boba Fett vintage mail away for 2010
This sounds like it is related to answers we got and another site got in the last few months. New Legacy Collection packaging to stand out from Clone Wars; the line will have Ep 2, 3, 5, and 6; and it will be the first time Ep 2 will be on vintage-style cardback. I'll highlight the significant passages:

We will have a solution next year to more strongly separate the Legacy product from Clone Wars and Saga Legends. We are working to also differentiate the latter two as well.
The basic figure line that will take over after Legacy / Droid Factory will look a little different [...] It will consists of all new tooled figures (about the same proportion as are in the line now), significant repaints/retooled figures, Saga Legends-type figures, and figures released on basic figure cards for the first time.
The way it looks currently, there will be Fall 2010 waves for EpII, III, V, and VI (not in that order)From these answers:
Dec 10
JediTempleArchives.com: Looking forward to 2010, we've been seeing indications about potential wave themes for the Legacy basic figure line. Particularly, that there will not be a wave of figures representing A NEW HOPE. Will the Legacy Collection and the following movie based figure line that's set to launch next summer continue to follow an individual movie theme for each wave? And can you give us an indication of which movies will be represented in these waves for 2010?
Hasbro: The EU wave that was shown at Comic Con will be the last of the red/white Legacy series for Spring 2010. The Legacy-type basic figure line scheduled to launch next Fall will follow a wave theme to ensure that each movie gets one focused wave, then we will change to a non-wave based system. The way it looks currently, there will be Fall 2010 waves for EpII, III, V, and VI (not in that order) with EpI and IV getting waves at the beginning of 2011.

Nov 16
SSG: We've been hearing how the TLC line has been having sales troubles going back to its inception in July '08. There have been numerous Hasbro comments about lowered volume due to a shrinking of the hardcore collector base and a virtual drying up of the casual consumer base. Now through Q&A we're hearing about entire waves of basic figures, the bread & butter of the line, possibly getting pushed back or dropped into exclusive territory as brand management tries to ensure that those molds get into collectors' hands at all. Yet through all this, we continue to hear that Saga Legends is a strong seller with the casual consumers and thus with Hasbro's retail partners. While we fans appreciate and admire the drive over the past 6 years to deliver 40 to 50 new figures per year, without entertainment support it appears that pace has become an albatross around the mainline's neck as multiple outside forces such as manufacturing and the economy beat up the line (along with the rest of the toy industry). When fans look at something like the AT-AT Driver figure, which had a chiefly satisfactory figure released only 3 years ago yet now has an entirely new tooling coming up, it seems like the priority to meet x-many new figures per wave is no longer a viable concept, as budgeting for figures that either won't see widespread release at retail or will get pushed back means the next products down the line suffer worse fates is spent across a wave rather than the mainline as a whole. Though not ideal, have you considered merging the mainline figures and Saga Legends back together, scaling back the overall scope of new figures to fit in releases alongside the Legends figures, and cutting down on new resculpted figures when existing ones like the 3-year-old AT-AT Driver would satisfy interest with little or no change? Would focusing all of the non-Clone Wars figures back into a single SKU help keep mainline figures afloat, even if the number of new figures is scaled back significantly?
Hasbro: Thanks for the thoughtful summary of the challenges that we are facing with the "new collector economy." We are determined to keep delivering significant newness in the basic figure line. The basic figure line that will take over after Legacy / Droid Factory will look a little different, along the lines of all the things you mentioned. It will consists of all new tooled figures (about the same proportion as are in the line now), significant repaints/retooled figures, Saga Legends-type figures, and figures released on basic figure cards for the first time. Because of the sheer popularity that Saga Legends has had with its audience, we will keep it going as a separate line but change up the figures some. We believe that it's critical to keep Saga Legends doing, as kids are getting the core heroes and villains (with occasional troops), while fans are adding troops to shore up their forces. However, exactly to your point, we will be refocusing Legends a bit and sending some key figures over into the line that will replace Legacy so there is some core hero traction to that line as well.

Oct 23
SSG: The new packaging so far has been shelved pretty inconsistently by store clerks, with the coloring differences completely overlooked. This makes for a mishmash of Clone Wars and Saga Legends (with Legacy Collection still not hitting at full strength yet) which collectors have to dig through, and therein lies the focus of this question. The new packaging's J-hook is easily the wimpiest one yet, the hook is so shallow that figures are constantly flying off the pegs as consumers look for their figure of choice, leaving the section a total mess and further mixing up the various lines. Why are the J-hooks on the new cards designed like that, and might you be willing to do something to address this problem?
Hasbro: It's too late to change anything, as the last of the Spring Legacy figures are being produced and shipped now. We will have a solution next year to more strongly separate the Legacy product from Clone Wars and Saga Legends. We are working to also differentiate the latter two as well.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-09-2010, 05:52 PM
I wasn't around during the vintage run, and I'm an opener, but damn it if this isn't exciting. Vintage packaging for new figures, and prequel characters! Too cool!!! Hopefully this really will bring some of the lost collectors back, at least a little bit. I can't wait to see actual pictures.

The same site also has info on The Clone Wars (http://www.toyark.com/news/star-wars-toy-news-3/new-clone-wars-cardbacks-box-art-revealed-2211/) products. It's hard to tell from the tiny picture, and I don't feel like registering, but it looks good on the vehicle but a little cheap and early-90s on the figure. We'll see how the final product looks.

I can't see it, but Yakface says the card calls out a "Battle Game Card" as a pack-in. I wonder, will this be in both Clone Wars and Saga Legends, or what?

I wonder what the Boba Fett mail-away will be? I doubt it would be a Clone Wars version if it's just through the realistic figures, but perhaps that would be a way to "cross streams," so to speak, and get collectors into the other lines. But I can't really see them doing that. The only all-new versions left I can think of would be the all-white one from the behind-the-scenes video, the one used in publicity shots (similar to the vintage and 1995 figures), or perhaps a ROTJ one with a removable helmet or cord. Who knows.

sith_killer_99
01-09-2010, 06:01 PM
I will buy vintage style packaged figures, though I do not believe I will buy anything outside the OT.

If this is true, it will be the first time since 2006 that I have seriously looked at collecting Hasbro stuff again.

Maradona
01-09-2010, 06:25 PM
The vintage packaging for most toy lines has less plastic wasted and is easier to open. The 25th Anniversary GI Joe line used this packaging style successfully.

Snowtrooper
01-09-2010, 06:41 PM
It'll be nice to have prequel figures on vintage cards. Most of us are used to what the original cardbacks look like, so I think it will be neat to see what new ones they come up with. It'll suck that they wont be able to pack the accessories in like they did on the larger bubbles, but it sounds like they were going to cut back on those anyways.

Rik Duel
01-09-2010, 08:01 PM
When they say "saga legends-type" figures I wonder if that means straight repackagings or if it could include repainted figures or head-swapped/slightly altered ones.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Here (http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff271/Commander_Gray/attachment-2.jpg) is the larger Clone Wars slide. The packaging doesn't look too bad, actually. Hopefully the colors on the left (here, it's orange) will change to match each character. It sort of looks like a mix between vintage and TAC/LC packaging, what with the weird angles but large character photo.

Also, I wonder if the new vintage-styled cards will have the clamshell? It's a waste of space and material, but they might do it to please the carded collectors. Then again, I can't really imagine putting one with every single figure that comes out.

bigbarada
01-09-2010, 11:30 PM
Hmmmm, prequel figures on vintage style packaging are going to be verrrrrry difficult to pass up.

Also, I would like to see Saga Legends take on the vintage look as I would have no problems buying many of them just for the packaging.

Hopefully we'll get some repacks too, because I would LOVE to see 2009's Slave Leia, Giran, AT-AT Driver, Snowspeeder Luke, Utris M'toc, the Scanning Crew Trooper, Hrchek Kal Fas, and DS2 Luke on vintage style cards. :love:

The news for 2010 just keeps getting better and better! :pleased:

sith_killer_99
01-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Also, I wonder if the new vintage-styled cards will have the clamshell? It's a waste of space and material, but they might do it to please the carded collectors. Then again, I can't really imagine putting one with every single figure that comes out.

How I can see how this could become a real mess.

No clam shells (ala GI Joe) = Good

Vintage style cards meaning hole punches in the card itself, resulting in the old "punched" vs. "non-punched" carded collecting. = Bad

If Hasbro is gonna do this they should try to address this issue, either punch 'em all or change to a J hook style like the GI Joe stuff.

bigbarada
01-09-2010, 11:38 PM

Vintage style cards meaning hole punches in the card itself, resulting in the old "punched" vs. "non-punched" carded collecting. = Bad

If Hasbro is gonna do this they should try to address this issue, either punch 'em all or change to a J hook style like the GI Joe stuff.

I would vote for J-hooks. I remember being extremely annoyed with the way the hole punch worked on the vintage cards when I was a kid. If you wanted the figure at the back of the shelf, then you either had to remove every single figure in front of it or tear the card in order to get the figure off the peg.

sith_killer_99
01-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Yeah this could get ugly for carded collectors.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-09-2010, 11:47 PM
Hmmmm, prequel figures on vintage style packaging are going to be verrrrrry difficult to pass up.

Also, I would like to see Saga Legends take on the vintage look as I would have no problems buying many of them just for the packaging.

Hopefully we'll get some repacks too, because I would LOVE to see 2009's Slave Leia, Giran, AT-AT Driver, Snowspeeder Luke, Utris M'toc, the Scanning Crew Trooper, Hrchek Kal Fas, and DS2 Luke on vintage style cards. :love:

The news for 2010 just keeps getting better and better! :pleased:
Like Hasbro said in JT's quote above:

It will consists of all new tooled figures (about the same proportion as are in the line now), significant repaints/retooled figures, Saga Legends-type figures, and figures released on basic figure cards for the first time.
So I expect it to look a bit like the 2006 TSC line, which looked pretty much like what they described (though hopefully the percentage of all-new figures will be higher than it was that year). It would indeed be very interesting to see some new characters on vintage-style cardbacks. I wonder who we'll see? Currently, we have confirmation or strong rumors for ROTS Anakin (with newer, better articulated arms), ESB Han, Oola, and a Gamorrean Guard. So, three of those four will have to have 100% newly designed cards.

Like bigbarada, I want J-hooks, like they have currently. I can't imagine them doing just the hole but not punching it out if that's how they're going to hang them on the pegs, but that would be a frustrating way to do it. But doing J-hooks would mean either changing the vintage design slightly (which I would be fine with), or adding some sort of extra tab on top (perhaps a plastic one), or going the clamshell route as they did for the other modern-vintage lines. I suppose we'll know in about five weeks, eh?

sith_killer_99
01-10-2010, 12:06 AM
Like bigbarada, I want J-hooks, like they have currently. I can't imagine them doing just the hole but not punching it out if that's how they're going to hang them on the pegs, but that would be a frustrating way to do it. But doing J-hooks would mean either changing the vintage design slightly (which I would be fine with), or adding some sort of extra tab on top (perhaps a plastic one), or going the clamshell route as they did for the other modern-vintage lines. I suppose we'll know in about five weeks, eh?

Clam shells are a mixed bag, on one hand they increase potential waste/trash, and raise costs. On the other hand they are great for carded collectors, as they do not have to resort to a third party solution to preserve their carded collection.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Clam shells are a mixed bag, on one hand they increase potential waste/trash, and raise costs. On the other hand they are great for carded collectors, as they do not have to resort to a third party solution to preserve their carded collection.
I suppose I don't mind them when they're the kind that you can open and reuse on other figures, but the ones from the 2007 vintage line were heat-sealed to protect the UGH sticker, and were quite difficult to open. Even with the non-heat-sealed ones, they're a little thinner than most other figure cards, so they don't work with everything. Also, the previous vintage-style figures shipped six to a case as opposed to the standard twelve to a case, which I can't see Hasbro doing to the entire line.

JediTricks
01-10-2010, 12:25 AM
I wasn't around during the vintage run, and I'm an opener, but damn it if this isn't exciting. Vintage packaging for new figures, and prequel characters! Too cool!!! Hopefully this really will bring some of the lost collectors back, at least a little bit. I can't wait to see actual pictures.You were around during the OTC and TSC packaging though, it's more of that concept. :p I'm just thrilled that it'll look different from Soggy Legends and Clown Wars.

The same site also has info on The Clone Wars (http://www.toyark.com/news/star-wars-toy-news-3/new-clone-wars-cardbacks-box-art-revealed-2211/) products. It's hard to tell from the tiny picture, and I don't feel like registering, but it looks good on the vehicle but a little cheap and early-90s on the figure. We'll see how the final product looks.http://www.toyark.com/news/attach/3/2/3/7/4/Fall-2010-Marketing-Plans-Star_1263014173.jpg
It's a little more dynamic than the regular SW product shot we saw, but still very blue so it'll die a painful death at market as all blue toy packaging does.

I can't see it, but Yakface says the card calls out a "Battle Game Card" as a pack-in. I wonder, will this be in both Clone Wars and Saga Legends, or what?My guess is only Clone Wars, and Saga Legends will continue with weapons. Did you see the cards with the Marvel figures and the battle cards with the new Spider-Man figs? I bet it'll be the same, here are the new Spidey figs' battle cards (2 cards and then a decoder):
http://www.collectionstation.com/resources/images/items/large/77f4f932f66db44fbb98d33b196e62df.jpg

I wonder what the Boba Fett mail-away will be? I doubt it would be a Clone Wars version if it's just through the realistic figures, but perhaps that would be a way to "cross streams," so to speak, and get collectors into the other lines. But I can't really see them doing that. The only all-new versions left I can think of would be the all-white one from the behind-the-scenes video, the one used in publicity shots (similar to the vintage and 1995 figures), or perhaps a ROTJ one with a removable helmet or cord. Who knows.All white was also seen in the parade that first showed him to the public, so that's a good guess. It is really similar to the McQuarrie figure from '07 though.

When they say "saga legends-type" figures I wonder if that means straight repackagings or if it could include repainted figures or head-swapped/slightly altered ones.That was referring to the question we asked, we did specify "little or no change", and they said basically yes, so you could take "little change" as they would be open to little changes like that. Also, with many of the figures, they just revealed that they create new paint masks for each run, so it's almost certain that paint will be changed on new runs.

Also, I wonder if the new vintage-styled cards will have the clamshell? It's a waste of space and material, but they might do it to please the carded collectors. Then again, I can't really imagine putting one with every single figure that comes out.These are running at the normal retail price of MSRP $7.99, since the existing cards don't have clamshells, and clamshells took up extra space on pegs which is expensive to retailers, I believe the answer is no clamshells this time.

Hmmmm, prequel figures on vintage style packaging are going to be verrrrrry difficult to pass up.Very naughty! :p I bet that'll work though for a lot of collectors, hadn't even thought about it.

Also, I would like to see Saga Legends take on the vintage look as I would have no problems buying many of them just for the packaging.No, please. The great thing about this Vintage look will be that it will be DIFFERENT from Clone Wars and Saga Legends, it won't get lost in the shuffle of those other pegs. Screw Saggy Legends, the kiddies will buy those no matter what, don't make it even harder on Legacy/Vintage.

Hopefully we'll get some repacks too, because I would LOVE to see 2009's Slave Leia, Giran, AT-AT Driver, Snowspeeder Luke, Utris M'toc, the Scanning Crew Trooper, Hrchek Kal Fas, and DS2 Luke on vintage style cards. :love:Repacks are confirmed in the 2nd answer above. Whether they will be the figs you want or not, I don't know, but it would be wise to carry those figures forward since they had short runs for reasons beyond their quality.

The news for 2010 just keeps getting better and better! :pleased:Minus the 7 month delay. But yeah, Force FX getting removable blades is cool news for 2010. Next up? Jupiter becomes a second sun and the USSR stands its nukes down. ;)

I would vote for J-hooks. I remember being extremely annoyed with the way the hole punch worked on the vintage cards when I was a kid. If you wanted the figure at the back of the shelf, then you either had to remove every single figure in front of it or tear the card in order to get the figure off the peg.Don't worry, there's no way they're going back to eyelets. J-hooks are the industry standard for exactly the reason you cited. In fact, I suspect it's become such a standard that it'd be more expensive to perforate the cards for the eyelets and leave them unpunched than it would be to just cut the J-hook during the main die cutting.

bigbarada
01-10-2010, 01:00 AM
It will consists of all new tooled figures (about the same proportion as are in the line now), significant repaints/retooled figures, Saga Legends-type figures, and figures released on basic figure cards for the first time.

I just noticed the last part of this comment, are they talking about releasing figures that were previously only available in Battle Packs, Evolutions, Comic Packs and vehicle pack-ins as carded figures?

So, I wonder who could we expect to see? I would really hope that we'd get the Sandtrooper that came with the Dewback, with all the extra articulation and the new helmet, they could even give him an orange pauldron just to create some variety.

Others that might work:
Green Leader or Jake Farrell A-Wing Pilots
Evolutions TIE Fighter Pilot
Keyan Farlander B-Wing Pilot
Wes Janson
Endor Luke from the Battle for Endor BP
Warok from Battle for Endor BP
Early Bird Chewie
Resurgence of the Jedi Luke

Of course, it could just be a reference to the vintage-style figures that haven't yet made the jump to the basic figure line:
Greedo
Tusken Raider
IG-88
Bossk
Endor Leia
Bespin Luke

Oh yeah, I would also like to add that I would really, really like to see the Evolutions or Legacy Removable Helmet Darth Vader on a vintage style card as well. :yes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-10-2010, 01:02 AM
My guess is only Clone Wars, and Saga Legends will continue with weapons. Did you see the cards with the Marvel figures and the battle cards with the new Spider-Man figs? I bet it'll be the same, here are the new Spidey figs' battle cards (2 cards and then a decoder):
Damn, that's some ugly stuff. If it's fun for the kiddies, then good for them, I guess.

All white was also seen in the parade that first showed him to the public, so that's a good guess. It is really similar to the McQuarrie figure from '07 though.
Some other people are guessing it'll be a rocket-firing Fett. We already had one in 2001, though, and a retooled VOTC Boba with a different jetpack isn't all that exciting. Time will tell. Maybe it'll be an SE version, and the action feature will be that the Mandalorian logo mysteriously vanishes. :p

2-1B
01-10-2010, 11:00 AM
I'll pick up an AOTC Vintage figure, or two...they haven't done TPM yet? They should have done that in '09 for the 10th anniv.

DarkArtist
01-10-2010, 12:42 PM
well Toy Fair is a month away roughly so hopefully our mouths will be watering at the new product Hasbro will show. can't wait to see what's new stuff will be shown.

bigbarada
01-10-2010, 12:43 PM
I would have bought the entire Ep1 wave if they were on vintage style cards. As it is, I only bought Rum Sleg (then traded him off to JT).

I'm assuming that Hasbro is not going for replica cards this time around, because that would mean that Wooof would have to be named Klaatu on his card (not that I would mind that much), but I would prefer if they chose a better quality reference image for him. The vintage card uses a dark, heavily airbrushed picture; so I won't complain if Hasbro replaces that with something that looks better.

DarkArtist
01-10-2010, 03:34 PM
I would have bought the entire Ep1 wave if they were on vintage style cards. As it is, I only bought Rum Sleg (then traded him off to JT).

I'm assuming that Hasbro is not going for replica cards this time around, because that would mean that Wooof would have to be named Klaatu on his card (not that I would mind that much), but I would prefer if they chose a better quality reference image for him. The vintage card uses a dark, heavily airbrushed picture; so I won't complain if Hasbro replaces that with something that looks better.

I actually like the look of the vintage movie reference shot on the vintage cards...makes me feel like a kid again going to the toy store and finding that Luke or Alien figure and being so excited and saying to my mom or father.."hey this is the part in the movie where Luke confronts Jabba and the guards get the catch him and he falls into the Rancor Pit."

as far as Hasbro using Klaatu's vintage card and renaming him Wooof I don't see how that would be a problem. i mean back in the early Kenner days all they had was photo references and species names I believe and maybe a few names to go by. now thanks to EU and other SW references we finally have figures with actual names.. I mean think about it if Hasbro was to give us the Vintage POTF Imperial Dignitary figure on the new vintage cards would you want the title to say the figure's original name "Imperial Dignitary" or go with the actual reference name Aloo (from the wookiepedia) ?

bigbarada
01-10-2010, 06:32 PM
I actually like the look of the vintage movie reference shot on the vintage cards...makes me feel like a kid again going to the toy store and finding that Luke or Alien figure and being so excited and saying to my mom or father.."hey this is the part in the movie where Luke confronts Jabba and the guards get the catch him and he falls into the Rancor Pit."

Yeah, I prefer the vintage design for a few reasons:
1. It adds an element of uniqueness to each figure, since the photos are so large that they dominate the card design.
2. They function as a "window" into the Star Wars universe, which I believe pulls people in more than all the fancy graphic design work of modern cards.
3. The photos clearly state that "Yes, this guy was actually in the movie." :)

as far as Hasbro using Klaatu's vintage card and renaming him Wooof I don't see how that would be a problem. i mean back in the early Kenner days all they had was photo references and species names I believe and maybe a few names to go by. now thanks to EU and other SW references we finally have figures with actual names.. I mean think about it if Hasbro was to give us the Vintage POTF Imperial Dignitary figure on the new vintage cards would you want the title to say the figure's original name "Imperial Dignitary" or go with the actual reference name Aloo (from the wookiepedia) ?

Well, the only weird part is that the name "Klaatu" seems to be in EU limbo right now. The name Wooof actually predates the name Klaatu (as a Star Wars name), since it was given to the character as a nickname by the ILM Creature Effects Shop. It was always understood that Klaatu was a reference to the species not their actual name. At least to me, since anyone who paid attention would know that vintage Klaatu and vintage Klaatu Skiff were two different characters in the movie. However now they are described as Green Niktos by EU, so "Klaatu" no longer has any meaning according to the extreme ridiculousness that is Star Wars EU.

Either way, whether it says Klaatu or Wooof on the card, I'll be buying at least two. :yes:

Rik Duel
01-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Love the big pictures on the vintage cards, makes it so easy to see what's on the pegs. What has been the rationale for having such small pictures (or no pictures) all these years? They still have to make a different card for each figure anyway so it doesn't save money.

JediTricks
01-10-2010, 07:21 PM
I just noticed the last part of this comment, are they talking about releasing figures that were previously only available in Battle Packs, Evolutions, Comic Packs and vehicle pack-ins as carded figures?

So, I wonder who could we expect to see? I would really hope that we'd get the Sandtrooper that came with the Dewback, with all the extra articulation and the new helmet, they could even give him an orange pauldron just to create some variety.

Others that might work:
Green Leader or Jake Farrell A-Wing Pilots
Evolutions TIE Fighter Pilot
Keyan Farlander B-Wing Pilot
Wes Janson
Endor Luke from the Battle for Endor BP
Warok from Battle for Endor BP
Early Bird Chewie
Resurgence of the Jedi Luke

Of course, it could just be a reference to the vintage-style figures that haven't yet made the jump to the basic figure line:
Greedo
Tusken Raider
IG-88
Bossk
Endor Leia
Bespin Luke

Oh yeah, I would also like to add that I would really, really like to see the Evolutions or Legacy Removable Helmet Darth Vader on a vintage style card as well. :yes:That's my guess as well.

I'd definitely like to see some Evo figs, like Qui-Gon and the B-wing and A-wing pilots. The Tusken as a basic would be great, and while I'd like Bespin Luke, I wish it had a better head, but at basic price it's worth getting another to attempt a head swap.

Damn, that's some ugly stuff. If it's fun for the kiddies, then good for them, I guess.I honestly doubt any kids ever actually play those things.

Some other people are guessing it'll be a rocket-firing Fett. We already had one in 2001, though, and a retooled VOTC Boba with a different jetpack isn't all that exciting. Time will tell. Maybe it'll be an SE version, and the action feature will be that the Mandalorian logo mysteriously vanishes. :pNice. :D

Rocket Fett would be so silly, that's been-there-done-that territory. Who knows, could be anything, even removable armor.

I'll pick up an AOTC Vintage figure, or two...they haven't done TPM yet? They should have done that in '09 for the 10th anniv.Good point, they should have done Vintage packaging for the 10th anniversary of TPM.

I would have bought the entire Ep1 wave if they were on vintage style cards. As it is, I only bought Rum Sleg (then traded him off to JT).And thanks for it! :cool:

I'm assuming that Hasbro is not going for replica cards this time around, because that would mean that Wooof would have to be named Klaatu on his card (not that I would mind that much), but I would prefer if they chose a better quality reference image for him. The vintage card uses a dark, heavily airbrushed picture; so I won't complain if Hasbro replaces that with something that looks better.If they're doing Ep 2 cards, obviously there's no way to do replicas, so I'm assuming they'll get it right this time. The VOTC cards weren't actually replicas either, there were slight changes to the images used on stuff like Han, they just got REALLY close so most folks didn't notice.

Yeah, I prefer the vintage design for a few reasons: [...]
3. The photos clearly state that "Yes, this guy was actually in the movie." :)That's all well and good until you get to something like Leesub Sirln where the only movie photo available is a close-up on the celluloid to find the BACK of her, and even that half hidden by another character. How exciting would this be:

bigbarada
01-10-2010, 07:51 PM
And thanks for it! :cool:

No problem. :)

That's all well and good until you get to something like Leesub Sirln where the only movie photo available is a close-up on the celluloid to find the BACK of her, and even that half hidden by another character. How exciting would this be:

Well Photoshop would definitely be necessary in those instances, just like the heavily airbrushed vintage reference images for Walrusman, Klaatu, Gamorrean Guard, Squidhead and Anakin (which was probably more original art than photo manipulation).

Which does kind of defeat the purpose, but I never claimed that I had thought this out very thoroughly. lol

JediTricks
01-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Dude, I *did* photoshop that pic of Leesub. I took it from the cardback photo of the TLC card which is so muddy and dark it's almost unusable. :p Brightened it up and cleaned it best I could (in the few minutes I spent screwing around making that image. ;) )

Droid
01-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Dude, I *did* photoshop that pic of Leesub. I took it from the cardback photo of the TLC card which is so muddy and dark it's almost unusable. :p Brightened it up and cleaned it best I could (in the few minutes I spent screwing around making that image. ;) )

That said, I would have been even more excited to buy that figure on that card.

I would be more likely to be ANY figure on vintage era style packaging.

TheDarthVader
01-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Yes, that card is MUCH better. I am going to have to start saving my pennies if they are going to look like that. :D

JediTricks
01-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Wow, Hasbro really blew it with Legacy, they should have just put everything on vintage-style cards. :p

sith_killer_99
01-11-2010, 06:12 PM
Wow, Hasbro really blew it with Legacy, they should have just put everything on vintage-style cards. :p

Yes sir!

My favorite line of carded SW figures is the OCT collection which was as close to "Vintage Style" cards as the modern line has gotten (except for the VOTC which were reproduction cards). Maybe it's a nostalgia thing, but I think they look better!:thumbsup:In fact the OTC line was the height of my collecting days, I got EVERYTHING from the line.

Once they switched packaging my interest tanked. I collected the ROTS stuff mostly because I was collecting to collect, then The Saga Collection (2006) came out and my interest seemed to fall flat. I went from one of every figure...to just buying what I wanted...to well I can't find it so oh well...to oh crap I am deployed and won't be able to buy ANYTHING! Then after deployment I just couldn't get excited about the line with little exception, sure a few cool figures here and there but not enough to justify the price of collecting everything. Then as "Clone Wars" was released my daughter took up a much bigger interest and so my focus was on getting her stuff.

A vintage style line would change that for me, I would be likely to pick up at least one of each carded figure, though it would take a LOT for me to pick up anything outside the OT, if they kept it to a minimum I would likely buy EP2 stuff just to fill in the holes in my collection, but nothing to open.

I know it may seem odd, but hey, it's my money and I spend it how I want. It's Hasbro's job to figure out what sells. If they can appeal to me, then they will get my money, if not then my cash will go towards something else, probably Kotobukiya, Gentle Giant, or some other higher end SW collectible. If they can appeal to my daughter they will get my cash, but a lot less of it!:p

Snowtrooper
01-11-2010, 06:31 PM
JT, I hate to admit it, but the card you made was better than the one we got. Even with that picture, I'd of probably gotten one to keep on card. I think I need rehab.

JediTricks
01-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Yes sir!

My favorite line of carded SW figures is the OCT collection which was as close to "Vintage Style" cards as the modern line has gotten (except for the VOTC which were reproduction cards). Maybe it's a nostalgia thing, but I think they look better!:thumbsup:In fact the OTC line was the height of my collecting days, I got EVERYTHING from the line.

Once they switched packaging my interest tanked. I collected the ROTS stuff mostly because I was collecting to collect, then The Saga Collection (2006) came out and my interest seemed to fall flat. I went from one of every figure...to just buying what I wanted...to well I can't find it so oh well...to oh crap I am deployed and won't be able to buy ANYTHING! Then after deployment I just couldn't get excited about the line with little exception, sure a few cool figures here and there but not enough to justify the price of collecting everything. Then as "Clone Wars" was released my daughter took up a much bigger interest and so my focus was on getting her stuff.

A vintage style line would change that for me, I would be likely to pick up at least one of each carded figure, though it would take a LOT for me to pick up anything outside the OT, if they kept it to a minimum I would likely buy EP2 stuff just to fill in the holes in my collection, but nothing to open.

I know it may seem odd, but hey, it's my money and I spend it how I want. It's Hasbro's job to figure out what sells. If they can appeal to me, then they will get my money, if not then my cash will go towards something else, probably Kotobukiya, Gentle Giant, or some other higher end SW collectible. If they can appeal to my daughter they will get my cash, but a lot less of it!:pWhat about the TSC line between ROTS and TAC? That one was a modern vintage-style cardback, very similar to the OTC basic cardback. Yet you're saying your interest fell flat from there. Maybe packaging isn't as big a deal to your collecting as you think, perhaps it's what excites in advance but doesn't carry the line?

JT, I hate to admit it, but the card you made was better than the one we got. Even with that picture, I'd of probably gotten one to keep on card. I think I need rehab.Ouch, that is bad. Well, maybe you'll get to find out how true that is in the latter half of the year. :D

sith_killer_99
01-11-2010, 08:49 PM
What about the TSC line between ROTS and TAC? That one was a modern vintage-style cardback, very similar to the OTC basic cardback. Yet you're saying your interest fell flat from there. Maybe packaging isn't as big a deal to your collecting as you think, perhaps it's what excites in advance but doesn't carry the line?

Yeah TSC was okay, but I didn't care for the reworked card and bubble combination.

As for the packaging being a big deal, for me it is, without a doubt.

In addition to my regular carded collection of "U.S." carded figures I also collect Non-US carded stuff. I am a big Canadian carded collector as well as Euro, Asian, Italain, etc.

In fact when I said I collected everything OTC, I was including a complete set of Canadian OTC carded figures!:D:yes:

bigbarada
01-11-2010, 08:54 PM
What about the TSC line between ROTS and TAC? That one was a modern vintage-style cardback, very similar to the OTC basic cardback. Yet you're saying your interest fell flat from there. Maybe packaging isn't as big a deal to your collecting as you think, perhaps it's what excites in advance but doesn't carry the line?

Ouch, that is bad. Well, maybe you'll get to find out how true that is in the latter half of the year. :D

I wasn't as thrilled with the TSC packaging either. The rounded, "bullet-shaped" bubbles annoyed me more than the slight vintage styling could make up for.

I do remember buying several figures I already owned on the 2004 OTC cards just to keep them carded (Bossk, IG-88, TIE Pilot, Dagobah Luke, etc.). That's how much I liked that styling.

Hopefully, this new vintage styling will be more than just background images an we'll see actual reference photos of each character.

AmanaMatt
01-12-2010, 11:50 AM
For myself, not interested in EP II figs on vintage style packaging. That should be reserved for OTC collection, but that's just me

If Vintage figures means a return to decent paint jobs on figures, I am all for it. I would expect the clam shells to be gone at the $7.99 price point, which is fine. But will they retain the higher quality? We'll see

JediTricks
01-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Wow, you guys are surprisingly particular about the way the vintage-style look is applied. I always preferred the more dynamic TSC look over the OTC cards myself, but I do see what you mean about the rounded bubble being a problem.

Matt, I doubt it'll mean going back to those detailed paint apps of the Vintage-style line, that and the crisper results from the tooling are part of the extra few bucks on the VOTCs.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-15-2010, 08:39 PM
I liked the look of the TSC packaging. I didn't like the rounded bubble, but it wasn't near as bad as ROTS. Saga and OTC packaging were the best for storing carded figures in boxes. I've opened up just about everything now, so that isn't too much of an issue now. I still have a complete set of carded OTC figures, including Wedge and holo Emperor.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-21-2010, 06:02 PM
According to Galactic Hunter (http://www.galactichunter.com/absolutenm/templates/full_article_template_1.asp?articleid=8685&zoneid=2), the Nahdar Vebb mail-away certificate says this:

Collect and Save the UPC codes from any 5 figures from the Star Wars Build a Droid (87535 Asst.), Saga Legends (87995 Asst.), Star Wars: The Clone Wars (87638 or 94736 Asst.), or the Vintage (87568 Asst.) collections.
Well, this pretty much confirms it 100% now, as if anybody wasn't sure.

On a less-interesting but still noteworthy note, it looks like Saga Legends won't be getting a new assortment number while The Clone Wars will be. So either stores will still have to work through the insane amounts of Legends in the stores in addition to the upcoming product, or it's been cancelled (I'm leaning towards the former).

JediTricks
01-22-2010, 03:21 AM
I think Adam at GH meant to say August of 2008, not 1998. :p But yeah, that's a confirm.

Interesting note about Saggy Legends, I'll need to think that one over a little, something seems off about that coupled with a recent answer of theirs in Q&A.

AmanaMatt
01-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Matt, I doubt it'll mean going back to those detailed paint apps of the Vintage-style line, that and the crisper results from the tooling are part of the extra few bucks on the VOTCs.

I agree. In a way they did me a disservice. Showing us what they are capable of, then not doing that again. Hard pill to swallow.

Jedi Law Student
01-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Does this mean the new "vintage" line will be coming out a lot sooner than next fall?

Tycho
01-24-2010, 06:11 PM
Just A Guess:

I based this on the waves Hasbro confirmed, and the need for mainline characters, as well as the Fan Poll results. I'm still reading up on the responses, so this might get adjusted to reflect more of Hasbro's hints as to what they've planned. Then I'm going to leave my predictions alone and see how they match up with what's shown at Toy Fair.

ROTS:..........................................AOT C..................ESB.............ROTJ

Darth Sidious (Yoda Duel).................Jocasta Nu..........Torryn Farr....Wooof
Anakin Skywalker............................Destroyer Droid....Han Bespin....,Oola
JarJar (Representtive Binks)...............Bariss Offee........Luke Hoth......Stormtrooper
Padme (hair in "Leia buns")................Cliegg Lars..........Leia Hoth.......Gamorrean Guard
Bail Organa (speeder pilot).................Jango Fett..........Yoda.............Death Star Trooper
Clone Trooper (E3 - might be a pilot)...Queen Jamilla.......Admiral Piett...Luke Endor
Super Battle Droid............................Obi-Wan Kenobi....Darth Vader...Wicket
Count Dooku...................................Corde..... ............Snowtrooper...Han Carbonite

TPM...........................................ANH

Kitster / Wald...............................Tzizvvt
Ben Quadrinaros............................Rebel Fleet Trooper
Tey How......................................Bom Vimdim
Qui-Gon Jinn.................................Grand Moff Tarkin
Queen Amidala (post Senate black)...Dr. Evazan
Battle Droid..................................R2D2 (Yavin Battle Damage)
Anakin Skywalker (kid)...................Luke Tatooine
JarJar Binks..................................Chewbacca

Oh - the figures I'd actually buy:

ROTS:..........................................AOT C..................ESB.............ROTJ

Darth Sidious (Yoda Duel).................Jocasta Nu..........Torryn Farr....Wooof
Queen Appalina.......................................... ................................
JarJar (Representtive Binks)...............Bariss Offee...........................
Padme (hair in "Leia buns")................Cliegg Lars.............................
Bail Organa (speeder pilot)............................................ ...............
.................................................. ..Queen Jamilla

TPM...........................................ANH

Kitster / Wald...............................Tzizvvt
Ben Quadrinaros............................
Tey How......................................Bom Vimdim
.................................................Q ueen Amidala (post Senate black)
.................................................R 2D2 (Yavin Battle Damage)

Maradona
01-24-2010, 07:57 PM
I think the Han "from a brief scene" that Hasbro has mentioned will be coming from ESB is him as he is repairing the MF with Chewbacca. He is wearing a coat but is not snow covered.

JediTricks
01-25-2010, 06:00 AM
Does this mean the new "vintage" line will be coming out a lot sooner than next fall?No, sadly not.

Jedi Law Student
01-28-2010, 10:57 AM
JediTricks, the only thing that makes me ask that question is the Nahdar Vebb redemption form. It has a due date of June 30, 2010, yet it mentions the Vintage collection right along with the other ones.

AmanaMatt
01-28-2010, 12:11 PM
First look:

http://jedinews.co.uk/

They all look good. Dengar looks like a very nice upgrade - and with pistol/hoster

Luke looks great. Leia very nice. The likeness on Veers is off, but the overall body looks much nicer than the last version.

Well, I am a happy camper. Lets see how the final production paint apps turn out

pbarnard
01-28-2010, 12:32 PM
A 2nd Vintage Bespin Luke? REALLY???

Leia is updated, and Dengar can finally doesn't have a static pose for one or all his arms. The AT-AT commander if the armor is removable will give a nice base for all future Imperial officers.

DarkJedi5
01-28-2010, 01:01 PM
The funny thing about the new Luke is that not a single part of him seems to be recycled from the VTAC Luke. Did they really think that the first figure was so bad they had to start over from scratch? Granted, the new one looks tremendous but the test shots always do.... And gasp! He comes with the right lightsaber! Some one at Hasbro finally listened to us!

I'm glad to see the Leia, all of our Hoth Leias are terrible figures and so to finally have one that's SA is a huge step up even if the features turn out to be a little soft (I anticipate an issue with the "painted on face" when it hits production). Though notice, no ankle articulation, we must have really hurt someone's feelings with all those cankle remarks after the SOTE Leia.

I'm really eager to see some photos of the AT-AT commander without his armor on, it would be cool if they were using the new Imp officer torso with the interchangeable pips to allow the armor to be worn by any modern officer but it looks like they may have had to redesign it a little because the lower half (belt and bottom of the tunic) is clearly new. I assume the helmet is also removable so I'm curious to see what's going on under there (if they're packing him with a removable hat or just doing what they did with Veers and allowing the helmet to fit over a molded cap).

So, the last of the ESB hunters finally has his day (Boba Fett, Bossk, 4-LOM, IG-88 and Zuckuss have all been suped-up to modern standards). I know that some people think the 2004 version (from the SAGA collection) is good enough, but I don't! As far as I'm concerned, swivel joints are never "good enough", especially when they are only on one arm. Also the lack of knee and ankle articulation really prevents Dengar from having any cool adventures in imagination land. This time they've pulled out all the stops and with a much improved face sculpt, have made a figure I will buy at least two of (he is seen in Jabba's Palace as well as ESB).

Though, another downside to not having the BaD pack ins continue means I don't know how many figures to expect per wave. I suppose I'm okay with 4 to a wave (especially if they all turn out as good as these production photos) but I really do hope there are two more figures, I mean, as of right now, this wave offers no new characters! Since '95 the AT-AT driver has been done twice, Hoth Leia at least once, Dengar twice, and Bespin Luke like five times. I guess they said that there's a Han figure coming (and a never done before one at that which we assume is from ESB) but that still isn't super exciting. Though, ESB does have the least to offer as far as cool never before made characters go.

TheDarthVader
01-28-2010, 01:08 PM
These figures are amazing. All of them look like future buys for me. The figure I am most happy to get is that updated Dengar. I do not even own the 2004 version because it was still not good enough for me. The Hoth Leia is a drastic improvement from the last one. The AT-AT commander looks freakin' sweet. I do not believe he is supposed to be Veers, AmanaMatt. I think he is a "generic" officer.

El Chuxter
01-28-2010, 01:37 PM
I'll probably at least get the AT-AT Commander, Luke, and Leia (it helps I passed on the last Vintage Luke). Dengar is going to depend on the price; he looks awesome, but, really, and I know a lot of you think I'm nuts, but there comes a point where what Hasbro charges for some things isn't worth the level of improvement for a split-second cameo. (That point might've been reached when I've got two "real" vintage Dengars and two modern ones, especially if it's more than $10, which he most likely will be.) I'm not 100% sure about the face; it looks at first glance like a step down from both the previous versions. (It looks nothing like Johnny Cash.)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Wow, what a cool surprise.

The Bespin Luke does indeed appear to be all-new, with much crisper sculpting and a much better face. I've liked all the previous Bespin Lukes, actually, but was never 100% satisfied with any of them (especially the somewhat disappointing 2007 one) so it's nice to have the ultimate version. I'm glad his saber can be hooked to his belt; hopefully the actual production version will have that as well. And I bet they'll use the other image (http://www.rebelscum.com/vintage/ESB_Luke_Bespin.jpg) for his card, which I prefer anyway.

Leia looks really, really great. I can't believe this is the first all-new Hoth Leia since 1998! Her face sculpt looks amazing. Yet another one they've knocked out of the park, it would seem. Hopefully then they can make a new head for a Bespin escape version.

Again, I liked the 2004 Dengar, but this one improves on it in every way. The face is great and the articulation is tops.

The fact that the vintage AT-AT Commander had a generic name and a picture of an AT-AT on his card means this one probably isn't General Veers (also given the fact that it looks nothing like Veers :p ). The arms look to be recycled from Veers but at least the legs are new so it won't have that weird bandy-legged look. Anyway, it looks good, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it released with the AT-AT given a different head to be Veers.

Sinscia Fat'o
01-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Dengar and Leia are easy graps for me, Veers or AT At commander is a maybe while Luke is a very much a maybe as ill have to see him up close as the last votc is a favorite figure of mine. if they ever make a luke with a soft goods jacket for dagobah and bespin cross over diorama appeal.

El Chuxter
01-28-2010, 02:52 PM
So... if these are $7.99, as it turns out is being reported by Target's computers, I might have to get Dengar. Eight bucks seems like a worthwhile price for him. I honestly expected, with inflation, $15.

mtriv73
01-28-2010, 03:32 PM
I honestly expected, with inflation, $15.

Sssssh! Don't say that! We don't want to give them any ideas.

These look fantastic. It's rare that I get excited about a new wave of figures, but these look almost perfect. I'll probably end up getting 2 of each and keep one carded. I was afraid this line was going to be mostly repacks (which it may still be) but these new figs look really good.

pbarnard
01-28-2010, 03:52 PM
So... if these are $7.99, as it turns out is being reported by Target's computers, I might have to get Dengar. Eight bucks seems like a worthwhile price for him. I honestly expected, with inflation, $15.

Sssssh! Don't say that! We don't want to give them any ideas.

These look fantastic. It's rare that I get excited about a new wave of figures, but these look almost perfect. I'll probably end up getting 2 of each and keep one carded. I was afraid this line was going to be mostly repacks (which it may still be) but these new figs look really good.

No, Hasbro will suggest that price, Target/K-Mart and few others will go to $15 only to already have them on clearance for MSRP only to really never carry them. C'mon, this is how the conspiracy works. :thumbsup:

Is Hasbro saying 2007's Bespin Luke was a mistake? Can we kick you in the groin again collectors/kids/parents? I have no qualms really about the others, although why is Dengar on v3 body construction (v4 with paint varriation) and it takes so long for 4-LOM and Zuckuss just to get v2 of body construction?

Tycho
01-28-2010, 04:46 PM
The link isn't working for me, so I haven't seen any of the pictures. I tried googling it, too - no go. Maybe Hasbro shut them down? - but the whole site is down as far as I can tell.

Judging by the characters you guys listed, I will not be buying any of these, no matter how good they are. I have these figures in some incarnation and I'm not a carded collector - though I can admire good cards and be happy for the rest of you.

I'm waiting for figures never made before, from a long list of expanded universe figures I wish for, to movie characters never-been-made-before, like Cliegg Lars and Bom Vimdim, or that have no modern update, like Wooof.

I'll likely be getting the movie figures I want though - rumors sounded like it though I haven't yet heard anything definitive about Cliegg Lars or Jocasta Nu. The Emperor from the ROTS duel with Yoda is probably likely though.

pbarnard
01-28-2010, 04:51 PM
T,

otheR Sites have the pics on the front page. I think even yakface has it in their boards alreaedy.

Old Fossil
01-28-2010, 05:05 PM
The link at the otheR Site isn't working for me, either, but the image is still on the home page.

I will be buying 2 of each of these -- 1 to open, 1 to keep carded. I hope they use a different photo for Bespin Luke on the cardback, I hated that last one.

I can't wait to see these on shelves. It'll be 1981 all over again, kind of.:love:

bigbarada
01-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Looks like JediNews.co.uk has crashed from all the traffic. If someone could post the images here, it would be much appreciated.

Okay, I found them on RS, but it would still be nice to have them in one place on here.

I like Veers, except I would have preferred if they just sculpted on the vest. Either way, I'm glad I got rid of my 2006 version. I wasn't that impressed with him even in 2006 for two reasons:
1. the incomplete body armor
2. his inability to sit in the AT-AT cockpit
These two issues made the 2006 figure completely useless, so I'm glad we got a complete redo.

Leia and Luke look great! I'm kind of burned out on bounty hunters, but I'll still buy Dengar.

They're revealing so much at this UK Toy Fair, I'm just wondering what they could possibly have left to show in February (aside from the BAT-AT).

Wooof, a Gamorrean Guard, and Admiral Ackbar maybe? :love:

El Chuxter
01-28-2010, 05:39 PM
I'm kind of burned out on bounty hunters....

This from the guy who already has display spots reserved for the next twelve Bossk figures? :p

I'm just wondering what they could possibly have left to show in February (aside from the BAT-AT).

In addition to the ROTJ fellas you mention, we know there's at least one or two more waves of figures. I haven't seen too much in the "obvious exclusive" department, and I've got a feeling Funeral Pyre Vader could be coming to a shelf near you at a rather inflated (but worth it) price soon.

AmanaMatt
01-28-2010, 11:42 PM
Yeah, i want em all...the Veers from Saga had a better face, but that was it. This one looks better in every way from the neck down...may get extras and pop the head on the old one...to make the ultimate Veers.

The last Vintage Luke looked good except for the height, and awful likeness. This one looks fantastic. it looks like a redone version of the Snowspeeder Luke, with hair. Which works for me...

leia - I'll get her

Dengar = looks fantastic. I loved the last one, partly cause he had a backpack and looked good. This one looks fantastic. So I am crazy happy.

let's see how the paint apps turn out. That where hasbro stuggles these days

figrin bran
01-29-2010, 12:29 AM
I am definitely down for all four!

I never actually got POTF2 Hoth Leia so this would be my first.

Tycho
01-29-2010, 02:54 AM
I do like the figures now that I've seen them. Leia and Luke look especially sharp!

I still will be saving money by not buying these 4.

Remember, I'm the guy making up for spending on 18 Hrchek Kal Fases. We all have our own take on this hobby. I have these 4 characters for my dioramas-to-build.

From Hoth, there's Torynn Far and a Hoth hanger crewman to do (like the first vintage Hoth Rebel Soldier) for some suggestions, as well as the not-yet-released Beardless Hoth Rebel Soldier.

From Bespin, there's Wiorkettle (a Snivvian), and Treva Horme (another alien) to make, as well as a black Twin Pod Cloud Car Pilot, and A Random Woman From The Bespin Evacuation (she has some Expanded Universe name).

Amongst the Imperials, there's Captain Lennox (I think from the Indommitable), and Captain / Admiral Palleon from the EU, for starters.

And from the Bounty Hunters, they could make Aurra Sing animated-style from Clone Was.

I'd buy everything I just mentioned (though not sure I need Lennox).

DarkArtist
01-29-2010, 08:29 AM
gotta say the Leia and Luke look amazing..definately want both of these figures.... Dengar might be a very easy pass for me unless he is absolutely amazing then i might get him and Veers looks the same roughly except for a lighter color uniform and face sculpt. instead of Dengar and Veers I would rather have gotten a Han Bespin Gear or even a new more accurate C-3PO with break-apart limbs.

Old Fossil
01-29-2010, 10:07 AM
After seeing larger, more detailed images, I gotta amend my aims to just getting 1 AT-AT Commander, to keep carded. The figure looks absurd. The 2006 Veers, while innacurate and less articulated, is clearly superior to this thing. The limbs and head seem out of porportion to the body.

Having said that, Luke looks amazing. I may have to get more than 2 of that one, to have a couple loose samples.

Leia looks fine, even with the doll-face features.

Dengar is okay. I prefer the facial expression on the Saga version, which looks more fierce but is admittedly probably less accurate than this new one. I'll still get 2, though, as I love the original Six Hunters.

Hey, what are we gonna call this line? Vintage the Legacy Collection (VTLC)? That would make

VOTC (2004)
VTSC (2006)
VTAC (2007)
VTLC (2010)

RENDAR LIVES
01-29-2010, 11:38 AM
I love those new figs. They might just be the best damn sculpts I have seen in a while. Could just be the protos and I will have to see the actual figures in hand before comiting. The last Vintage Bespin Luke left a lot to be desired. Maybe they will do a better E2 Anakin that doesn't wear lipstick like the evolutions one.

Jedi Law Student
01-29-2010, 12:41 PM
I will definitely get Dengar, and I'll probably get the AT-AT Commander as well. They are going to look really neat on vintage cardbacks. :thumbsup:

Ji'dai
01-29-2010, 01:36 PM
I like the Bespin Luke the most. It's one of my favorite versions of the character so I'll probably get several of them. Hoth Leia is okay, but I'm not crazy about the face. Now I want a decent SA Bespin Han.

Since I picked up the recent Zuckuss I guess I'll get this new Dengar. I've been passing on resculpts a lot in the last few years. I didn't get the "Vintage" IG-88 or the last version of 4-LOM.

JEDIpartner
01-29-2010, 02:18 PM
I think I am going to pass on Veers and Dengar. I'm perfectly happy with the previous releases. I could be persuaded to get the Luke because the last one looked like Ellen DeGeneres. The Leia is a MUST!!! There are not enough Leia figures!!!

Rik Duel
01-29-2010, 02:30 PM
These look really good, and I also hope they use the "other" Bespin Luke card. (hopefully if they do a tatooine Luke they'll use the gunner station card too). Veers looks like a pass, though. Also I'm curious how they'll find a decent picture for that Hangar Han.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-29-2010, 02:38 PM
I like the Bespin Luke the most. It's one of my favorite versions of the character so I'll probably get several of them. Hoth Leia is okay, but I'm not crazy about the face. Now I want a decent SA Bespin Han.

Since I picked up the recent Zuckuss I guess I'll get this new Dengar. I've been passing on resculpts a lot in the last few years. I didn't get the "Vintage" IG-88 or the last version of 4-LOM.
Seriously, stop whatever you are doing and go find the vintage IG-88. It will blow your mind.

Ji'dai
01-29-2010, 04:34 PM
I'd have to eBay it now and I'm not doing that. I stopped collecting "Vintage" figures on those retro-cardbacks after VOTC; it was too expensive to buy one to keep carded and one to open. I can't believe Hasbro hasn't re-released that IG-88 again. Isn't that what Legends is all about?!

---

So what is Hasbro doing with the line? From what I read they're focusing solely on toys from the Clone Wars cartoon and figures from the movies are on hiatus for the time being?

JediTricks
01-29-2010, 04:49 PM
JediTricks, the only thing that makes me ask that question is the Nahdar Vebb redemption form. It has a due date of June 30, 2010, yet it mentions the Vintage collection right along with the other ones.I see what you mean, that's a good point. However, until Hasbro repeals their previous statements on the situation, it's still Fall of 2010 as the release. Maybe they're preparing for the possibility of early overseas pre-releases?

First look:

http://jedinews.co.uk/

They all look good. Dengar looks like a very nice upgrade - and with pistol/hoster

Luke looks great. Leia very nice. The likeness on Veers is off, but the overall body looks much nicer than the last version.

Well, I am a happy camper. Lets see how the final production paint apps turn outI didn't even notice the holster on Dengar. If they can keep the quality of the prototype's sculpt going for the production model, this should be a good figure. But if it slips at all, I think it'll be a hard pill to swallow. The inset face is an oddity, it looks like the right call to get the job done, but I hope the seams aren't as noticeable on the production version.

Luke looks amazing, undoing every failure of the previous version. The likeness is there, the outfit is right, and it looks like they added hip articulation. Unfortunately, it also looks like they removed ankle articulation and I really hope that's not the case because that is the most important leg articulation there is.

Leia looks decent, a good sculpt and paint, but again, no ankle articulation.

The AT-AT Commander doesn't look a thing like Veers, everything else looks solid. I honestly don't think it's even trying to be Veers, maybe it's supposed to be a generic commander.

A 2nd Vintage Bespin Luke? REALLY???The VTAC one sucked. I know it was only 3 years ago, but that figure was a wasted effort in likeness and paint.

The AT-AT commander if the armor is removable will give a nice base for all future Imperial officers.We just got a new base figure for Imp Officers, Needa with his removable rank pips.

The funny thing about the new Luke is that not a single part of him seems to be recycled from the VTAC Luke. Did they really think that the first figure was so bad they had to start over from scratch? IMO, yeah, they did need to start over. Everything felt off about that figure, the head of course was useless, but the proportions of the body felt off too.

So... if these are $7.99, as it turns out is being reported by Target's computers, I might have to get Dengar. Eight bucks seems like a worthwhile price for him. I honestly expected, with inflation, $15.This is not a "VOTC" style line, this is the new basic figure line.

Dengar is okay. I prefer the facial expression on the Saga version, which looks more fierce but is admittedly probably less accurate than this new one. I'll still get 2, though, as I love the original Six Hunters.This Dengar is clearly emulating his PR pic: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Dengar2.JPG

Hey, what are we gonna call this line? Vintage the Legacy Collection (VTLC)? That would make

VOTC (2004)
VTSC (2006)
VTAC (2007)
VTLC (2010) This is not a "VOTC-style" line. "Vintage" is the name of the line, this is a basic figure line. Legacy is over.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-29-2010, 07:55 PM
This is not a "VOTC-style" line. "Vintage" is the name of the line, this is a basic figure line. Legacy is over.I was reading the thread at Rebelscum where they were debating what to call it. TVC was one of the choices. Some had trouble with that because calling it "The TVC line" would be grammatically equivalent to saying "The The Vintage Collection." So, maybe just The VC.

Tycho
01-30-2010, 02:08 AM
Seriously, stop whatever you are doing and go find the vintage IG-88. It will blow your mind.

With the presumption that they will never make the IG-2000 I want for SOTE, I rationalized that IG-88 could have also flown a IG-MagnaGuard Fighter, as he'd have access to InterGalactic equipment.

I opened a vintage IG-88 figure and he actually fits perfectly in the IG MagnaGuard Fighter! You have to fold his legs up towards his head, but you can't see them when you stuff him into the ship.

I'll put up a picture one of these days.

But I really like the VTSC - or whichever series he came out in - for IG-88.

I buy 'em when I need 'em, not to collect this series carded.

Old Fossil
01-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Legacy is over.

Really? I thought Legacy was just on hiatus until August.

Tycho
01-30-2010, 01:46 PM

The basic movie figures with new never-made-before figures might be called something else.

The MEC ("more expensive collection") is one name I'd suggest putting on the table (but hopefully we'll see no more price increases).

Blue2th
01-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Love that VTSC IG-88. Got a couple of them.

Opened my Titanium IG-88 the other day. He is quite detailed, though not very articulated. He'll even unscrew from his base, though I left him on there with the droid parts base. The useless rest of it I'm throwing away. The cloudy plastic cover is stupid as well as the huge name plate secondary base.

These new figures look cool. The one I'm most interested in is the AT-AT Commander. It's not General Veers, but what the heck he's SA, and an improvement.
It would be cool if you could switch heads, and at least make a Veers. Though might have to switch breast plates as well because of the insignia. I'll have to check that.
I want to get two of those probably.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-30-2010, 02:07 PM
They've confirmed many times that there will be a re-branding of the line in the fall. It shouldn't come as a surprise as it has happened every year or 18 months for a long time now (The Legacy Collection started in July 2008). Press materials have thus far only called it the Vintage line, which will be shipping alongside The Clone Wars and Saga Legends. But I think Hasbro has called it the Legacy-style or Legacy-type line so we know what to expect.

JediTricks
01-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Really? I thought Legacy was just on hiatus until August.No, it's a new line in the fall, in the attempt to get retailers to order again. This is SOP for Hasbro. Now all we know is it's "Vintage". Here's their most recent answer on this:

...the red/white Legacy Droid Factory line will end after Spring of 2010, and will be replaced in the Fall by a new SKU. This SKU will concentrate on the movies (no EU for a while) and will have a good quotient of "greatest hits" type figures to balance out the collector-targeted small release batch figures. Saga Legends will still continue on as its own SKU, though.

Rik Duel
01-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Hm I wonder if that means saga legends will be on vintage-ish cards to match the new line? Or the blue cards to match the clone wars, or a third look?

Devo
01-30-2010, 05:27 PM
The VTAC one (Bespin Luke) sucked. I know it was only 3 years ago, but that figure was a wasted effort in likeness and paint.

IMO, yeah, they did need to start over. Everything felt off about that figure, the head of course was useless, but the proportions of the body felt off too.

I'm surprised to read the above given your defensive stance on the current DSII Luke. If ever there was a figure with off proportions.....

Old Fossil
01-30-2010, 06:07 PM
No, it's a new line in the fall, in the attempt to get retailers to order again. This is SOP for Hasbro. Now all we know is it's "Vintage". Here's their most recent answer on this:

Thanks for clearing that up for me, JT.

. It shouldn't come as a surprise as it has happened every year or 18 months for a long time now (The Legacy Collection started in July 2008).

Who's surprised?:confused:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Who's surprised?:confused:
Your "Really?" comment led me to believe you were surprised. I seem to remember several people, upon hearing Legacy was ending, coming to the conclusion that the realistic basic figure line was done, as apparently they all had no memory of the rebranding that had happened several times before.

Old Fossil
01-30-2010, 10:40 PM
Your "Really?" comment led me to believe you were surprised.

Gotcha, a simple misunderstanding.

I seem to remember several people, upon hearing Legacy was ending, coming to the conclusion that the realistic basic figure line was done, as apparently they all had no memory of the rebranding that had happened several times before.

Really?lol They must've been johnny-come-lately's to this game. Having been collecting the modern line since it began in '95, I've gotten used to the periodic packaging facelifts and name-changes, for good or ill.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-30-2010, 11:49 PM
Legacy has actually been one of the longer running lines. I think only POTF2 and Saga went longer in the modern line.

Darth Jax
01-31-2010, 11:09 AM
but even legacy had a card change during it's run.

bigbarada
01-31-2010, 11:50 AM

Well, it had one early card revision (remember the black trooper eyes turning blue?) and one card redesign.

POTF2 lasted from 1995-1999
EP1 ran from 1999 to early 2000 (but pegwarmed for months afterwards)
POTJ lasted from 2000-early 2002
Saga was from 2002-early 2004
OTC ran from 2004- early 2005
In 2005 Star Wars ROTS
Saga 2 ran from late 2005 through early 2007
2007-early 2008 was the TAC or 30AC collection
Indiana Jones replaced Star Wars for the brunt of 2008 (even though Hasbro will deny that)
Legacy and Clone Wars took over in August 2008 and Legacy comes to an end in Spring 2010, Clone Wars continues to charge forward.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-31-2010, 03:24 PM
As did POTF2 - Red Card, Green Card (with or without foil), Freeze Frame, Flashback and Commtech. Saga changed cards as well, and the part of insert with the name on it went from red, to orange and then blue.

JediTricks
02-02-2010, 05:36 AM
I'm surprised to read the above given your defensive stance on the current DSII Luke. If ever there was a figure with off proportions.....Vertical issues seem to stand out more to me. Overly short torso or long arms, that sort of thing catches my eye a lot faster than a narrow waist. In the Bespin VTAC figure, his torso to leg and arm proportions have always seemed off to me, his waist is too high, and his legs seem too long. With DS2 Luke's waist and wonky joints, that can be easily swallowed up in a good pose (any issues about arm length I think are not holding water, but regardless it'd be same there), but it's harder to hide that Luke Bespin's issues - and with that deco and face, I don't even want to try that much, it's not a looker, it has no charm so it doesn't ask me to work harder to find its features over its flaws.

JediTricks
02-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Well, here are some details on the cards from ToyNewsI.com (affiliated site with JediInsider.com, hence their "JI" on the question)...

JI: While we are on the subject of leaked catalog scans, there was also a scan showing that the Vintage Collection figure will return in 2010 and that for the first time Episode 2 characters will be included. I won't ask for details since I don't want to spoil everything for Toy Fair, but what are the odds we will get to see a Empire Strikes Back Bespin Han Solo figure for this line in the coming year?

Hasbro: We can confirm Vintage is back, but with some important consistencies and differences. The card format, following our previous three Vintage series, will remain the same with the Kenner logo on front, narrow blister, identical card punch. Gone will be the $9.99 price and the clamshell, which has been eliminated to help last the collection at a more consumable $7.99 SRP. After the first EpV wave, there will be waves based on both the Prequel Trilogy and OTC. There will be a new EpV Han, but it won't be Bespin....it's a cool version that we think fans will love. We'll have the complete collection in our presentation at Toy Fair. Stay tuned!
I must be honest, I'm stunned that they're going with the same card punch and narrow bubble. Without a J-hook, this will make stocking and searching through figures a bit more difficult.

DarkJedi5
02-03-2010, 06:27 PM
What are the catalogue scans they are referencing? Are there carded photos out there somewhere?

Maradona
02-03-2010, 06:59 PM
There will be a new EpV Han, but it won't be Bespin....it's a cool version that we think fans will love.

For some reason, I keep thinking that it'll be Han as a mechanic from Hoth. I wonder if Hasbro has considered a repaint or re-deco of the BMF with more battle damaged for an ESB themed rerelease to coincide with its 30th anniversary. The ship plays such a prominent role in the film that it might sell. But given the big ticket item this year is the AT-AT, this is just a pipe dream.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-03-2010, 08:06 PM
What are the catalogue scans they are referencing? Are there carded photos out there somewhere?
They were actually from a Powerpoint slideshow, and were on several sites a couple of weeks ago. There were no actual carded photos, though.

I wonder if the old card punch was considered a good thing as it could make people actually take figures off the shelf to get to the ones they want, thereby possibly looking closer at figures they might not have originally wanted and getting them to change their minds? Maybe that sounds crazy, or maybe that's crazy-correct. Or maybe they just wanted to go with what they already had. :p

Darth Jax
02-03-2010, 11:03 PM
long live J-hooks, all praise be to J-hooks

(don't give me no punched/unpunched cards)

bigbarada
02-03-2010, 11:22 PM
I see tons of cards with ripped hole punches because people don't feel like taking down every figure in front of them to get them off the pegs. Then stores will be forced to tape or staple the card in order to set it back on the peg.

Either that or cards that are dinged up like crazy because people will inevitably drop them as they are removing them to get to that figure in the back.

Loving the fact that coffin blisters are returning though. :love:

DarkJedi5
02-04-2010, 12:07 AM
They were actually from a Powerpoint slideshow, and were on several sites a couple of weeks ago. There were no actual carded photos, though.

Ah, yes. I saw the ones from the ESB wave but someone mentioned a catalogue scan of the AT-AT and I figured it couldn't possibly be that photo of it on a floor somewhere so I assumed there was something more official somewhere. Guess I'll just have to wait another ten days or so until Toy Fair.

bigbarada
02-04-2010, 09:05 PM
According to this Q&A from HansHideout, the vintage style line is planned to last at least 2 years:

http://hanshideout.blogspot.com/

1) The 2010 Saga Legends basic figure line - will the cardbacks look like the recently revealed Clone Wars "Rex and Sky" cardbacks or will they look like the uh, "well-kept secret" 2010 movie line cardbacks? Or will they have a look all their own?

** The Saga Legends cardbacks - a primarily kid-targeted line - will follow the new black/blue line look. The return of Vintage, in a new format without the clam-shell, will have its own standalone line look. Many of the classic characters appearing in Saga Legends will also, if they have not already, appear in the new Vintage line which is planned to be an ongoing line that will run at least two years.

More great news! :love:

Now I wonder if everything will have film specific art like the vintage line or will it all just be lumped under the 12-back style Star Wars cards? Because the EU winner of the fan choice poll is most likely going to be released in the next two years, which means that she would show up on a vintage style card. So, it's going to be interesting to see how Hasbro handles that.

JediTricks
02-04-2010, 10:52 PM
For some reason, I keep thinking that it'll be Han as a mechanic from Hoth. I wonder if Hasbro has considered a repaint or re-deco of the BMF with more battle damaged for an ESB themed rerelease to coincide with its 30th anniversary. The ship plays such a prominent role in the film that it might sell. But given the big ticket item this year is the AT-AT, this is just a pipe dream.
Seems like everybody is thinking that Hoth look, regular Han plus Hoth outer coat. Easy cop-out figure if they want to go cheap, but IMO it's a bit of a snore choice since it's in the film for a few seconds at best.

BMF I can't imagine is going to make it back onto the scene this soon.

I see tons of cards with ripped hole punches because people don't feel like taking down every figure in front of them to get them off the pegs. Then stores will be forced to tape or staple the card in order to set it back on the peg.

Either that or cards that are dinged up like crazy because people will inevitably drop them as they are removing them to get to that figure in the back.Yes, this is an excellent point, that's exactly what I have seen in the past as well.

Wow, 2 years of vintage-style cards. I really hope they rethink the J-hook situation.

Tycho
02-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Wow, 2 years of vintage-style cards.

Hmmm. 2 years. Let's see how many primary characters and needed modern-card updates do they have:

Primary characters / characters done already:

1) Luke farmboy - done ANH
2) Han cantina - done ANH
3) Leia senator - done ANH
4) Chewie - done ROTJ
5) R2D2 - done ROTJ
6) C-3PO - done ESB
7) Obi-Wan Kenobi - done ANH
8) Darth Vader - done ESB
9) Yoda - done ESB
10) Lando - done ESB
11) Stormtrooper - done ROTJ
12) Boba Fett - done ROTJ

13) Luke X-wing - done ANH
14) Greedo - done ANH
15) Tusken - done ANH
16) Biker Scout - done ROTJ
17) Han Endor - done ROTJ

18) Leia Endor - done ROTJ
19) Han - Hoth - done ESB
20) Luke - Bespin - done ESB
21) Bossk - done ESB
22) IG-88 - done ESB
23) Snowtrooper - done ESB

24) 4-LOM - Exclusive - done ESB
25) Zuckuss - Exclusive - done ESB

------------------------------------------------------------------

IN THE NEW LINE Chewie, R2D2, C-3PO, Stormtrooper, Darth Vader could all be re-done on ANH cards. However, an update to R2D2 Lightsaber Launch would be more appreciated! A Vader R.H. on a ROTJ card would work, too.

1) Chewie
2) R2D2
3) C-3PO
4) Stormtrooper
5) Darth Vader

Boba Fett could be done on an ESB card

6) Boba Fett

---------------------------------------------------------------------

7) Han Hoth is being redone
8) Luke Bespin is being redone
9) Leia Hoth is being done
10) Obi-Wan Kenobi could be re-done as a softgoods ghost* - but likely PT
11) Yoda could be done as a ghost, ROTJ carded* - more likely as a PT figure
12) Lando Smuggler could be updated as ESB in Han CommTech style
13) Lando General could be done nicely as ROTJ
14) Luke Hoth ESB is likely
15) Leia Boussh from ROTJ is possible, though re-carding Slave Leia...
16) Luke Jedi Knight from ROTJ is a definite
17) Han Carbonite would be immensely appreciated ROTJ
18) Han Bespin could work his way in there for 2011 on ESB
19) Lando Skiff doesn't really need an update, but is a potential
20) Qui-Gon Jinn
21) Obi-Wan TPM
22) Obi-Wan AOTC
23) Obi-Wan ROTS
24) Anakin AOTC
25) Anakin ROTS
26) JarJar - hopefully an AOTC or ROTS version, but likely TPM
27) Darth Maul - a certainty
28) Battle Droid - another certainty - probably with white and red variations
29) Queen Amidala - pray for the black Post-Senate to finish her off for TPM!
30) Destroyer Droid
31) C-3PO naked
32) Watto - maybe
33) Nute Gunray - again, hope for ROTS for an unmade figure
34) Mace Windu - maybe a wounded ROTS with removeable hand?
35) Captain Panaka - would be cool for a softgoods w. removeable hat
36) Queen Amidala - I'm sure the fighting or Senate Queen will come back
37) Jango Fett
38) Count Dooku - a ROTS version with removeable head and hands?
39) Super Battle Droid
40) Clone Trooper AOTC - with officer variations likely
41) C-3PO - with junk coverings
42) Padme - Naboo Senator from beginning of AOTC?! Hope!
43) Padme - yellow picnic dress from AOTC
44) Padme - Arena Battle - most likely, unfortunately
45) Padme - Mustafar again - likely, too - unfortunately
46) Padme - Senator - from Declaration of Empire - would be really cool
47) Bail Organa - Speeder pilot from Order 66 - most likely
48) Bail Organa - from Senate Declaration of Empire - very cool if done
49) General Grievous - certainly
50) Grievous' body guard - of course
51) Darth Sidious - or Emperor Palpatine - Yoda duel from ROTS preferrred
52) Clone Trooper - 501st
53) Clone Trooper - Cody
54) Clone Trooper - Cody's men or Airborne
55) Clone Trooper - Galactic Marine
56) Ki-Adi Mundi - ROTS?
57) Wookiee Warrior
58) Clone Pilot (ROTS?)
59) TIE Pilot
60) Dak (already scheduled)
61) Jawa
62) Imperial Naval Troper (Death Star Trooper) - completes 12-backs
63) Hammerhead
64) Zutton (Snaggletoothe)
65) Ponda Baba (oft requested, and helps to complate ANH 21-backs)
66) Hoth Rebel Trooper - finally not-updated tan vest dude! Likely beardless
67) Dengar - already made
68) Captain / Admiral Piett
69) Cloud Car Pilot - already made
70) Admiral Ackbar - long overdue for update by most fans' opinion
71) Bib Fortuna
72) Gamorrean Guard
73) Wooof - already made but not scheduled for release yet
74) Wicket
75) Senator Tiikes (a Quarren, but not Squidhead, gets another Separatist)
76) Lumat - a missing Ewok from Vintage days (there will be another Ewok)

I think there could be 60 figures:

30 figures actually making it out per year.

I went to 76 because the highlighted figures are my personal wishes, but some of them (at least 11) will not be done.

Doing 60 figures over 2 years, would allow for waves of 6 new figures in:

August 2010
August 2010
October 2010
December 2010
December 2010
February 2011
April 2011
June 2011
August 2011
October 2011

Then at Comic Con 2011, Hasbro would reveal their Christmas 2011 plans and sell them for the holiday season in 2011.

Hopefully, this marketing plan (the vintage style) will work well, and the line will be slated to continue for 2012 to get many of the unmade re-cards done for more minor and never-made-before characters.

Since there are 6 new figures per case, re-stocking the major players of the OT or the PT with other characters listed above (i.e. a Luke or Anakin) would be possible, as Piett would sell better with Vader on the racks.

El Chuxter
02-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Two more Bails? You want to kill the line for sho'? :p

Tycho
02-26-2010, 08:58 PM
Two more Bails? You want to kill the line for sho'? :p

[See previous page for my 2 year line prediction for the vintage run.]

To Chux: no, I think doing Bail at all is questionable - though I hope for both these figures.

If Bail is made again for this vintage line, it will be only 1 of these choices. I do not want an update of one of the 3 figures we have of him already (AOTC, ROTS, ROTS).

His speeder pilot outfit is cool and it's an action scene from Order 66 (but would work better as a pack-in with his speeder vehicle).

The Senate outfit is even cooler looking.

Bail is an important b-player that fits into SW history and his character is more relevant than say Watto, for another PT character other than "a main."

El Chuxter
02-26-2010, 09:03 PM
I like Bail (as small as the role is, Smitts turned in one of the few truly good acting jobs in the prequel trilogy), but he doesn't sell. Not that he doesn't sell well, he just doesn't sell. And, to be honest, I didn't notice too much variation in his clothes--casual duds and business robes, that's about all I recall. (I know there's more, it's just they didn't stand out, and I didn't even realize he had more outfits until years later when people started asking for them.)

bigbarada
02-26-2010, 09:14 PM
His speeder pilot outfit is cool and it's an action scene from Order 66 (but would work better as a pack-in with his speeder vehicle).

Well, if he had actually done something about the Jedi kid getting killed and not shrunk away like a coward when the Clonetroopers pointed their blasters at him, then it might qualify as an action sequence.

El Chuxter
02-26-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm far from an ROTS defender, but what could he have done? The Clonetroopers were suddenly turning on their generals, and Palpatine had been jerking around the entire government--for all he knew, the Senate could've been placed under arrest without being told why. Helping Obi-Wan and Yoda (and trying to find more survivors) is more effective than dying a would-be hero and no one even seeing to turn him into a symbol.

bigbarada
02-26-2010, 09:22 PM
I'm far from an ROTS defender, but what could he have done? The Clonetroopers were suddenly turning on their generals, and Palpatine had been jerking around the entire government--for all he knew, the Senate could've been placed under arrest without being told why. Helping Obi-Wan and Yoda (and trying to find more survivors) is more effective than dying a would-be hero and no one even seeing to turn him into a symbol.

I understand that, but Bail is far from an action character in that scene, he's a spectator. If he had jumped into his speeder, opened fire on the Clonetroopers and sped away, then it would qualify as an action scene for him.

As it is, he's just a typical pacifist who only survives because he was too cowardly to fight. Not exactly prime ACTION figure material.

El Chuxter
02-26-2010, 09:28 PM
Your point about him being a non-action figure is a good one, but "there are alternatives to fighting." :D In this case, it's either die not saving the kid and not possibly taking out more than one Clonetrooper, or live to help surviving Jedi, spread the word, and organize a useful rebellion. Had he fired off a few rounds, he would've been chased down and thrown in jail for eternity, if he was very lucky.

Tycho
02-27-2010, 01:42 PM
I agree with Chuxter on Bail Organa. There were at least 6 Clones or more and they didn't seem to have any orders to interfere with the Senators.

Palpatine's thought was that he had the Senate under control and keeping it gave the illusion of democracy. The Empire hadn't been declared at that time, either (wait 15 more minutes).

I don't think Bail Organa, a break-out leader in the Rebel Alliance, was a true pacifist by any means. But that wasn't the time to make a stand and fight.

By example of Star Wars' own history, he was far more effective doing what he lived to do in the 19 years that followed before ANH. I hope the EU will cover some more of that.

bigbarada
02-27-2010, 02:22 PM
I agree with Chuxter on Bail Organa. There were at least 6 Clones or more and they didn't seem to have any orders to interfere with the Senators.

Palpatine's thought was that he had the Senate under control and keeping it gave the illusion of democracy. The Empire hadn't been declared at that time, either (wait 15 more minutes).

I don't think Bail Organa, a break-out leader in the Rebel Alliance, was a true pacifist by any means. But that wasn't the time to make a stand and fight.

By example of Star Wars' own history, he was far more effective doing what he lived to do in the 19 years that followed before ANH. I hope the EU will cover some more of that.

All I saw of Bail Organa in the Prequels was wasted potential. All of the most important stuff that he did in the Star Wars universe took place offscreen between Ep3 and 4. He could have been a much more involved character throughout the films.

Personally, I think there never should have been a planet Naboo. Everything that took place on Naboo should have taken place on Alderaan. This would have actually given some emotional resonance to Alderaan's destruction in Ep4. Then make Padme an actual member of a real royal family not some bizarre elected Queen office that only lasted 4 years. Change Padme Amidalla's name to Padme Organa and make Bail Organa her brother. Remove Captain Panaka and Captain Typho completely and have Bail Organa take over their roles in the films. This way Queen Organa would stay a queen throughout the movies and Bail Organa would be her link to the Senate.

This would simplify and streamline the entire plot, remove unnecessary characters, and not make things as confusing and convoluted as they were at the end of Ep3.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Personally, I think there never should have been a planet Naboo. Everything that took place on Naboo should have taken place on Alderaan.I don't know about that. One complaint people had of the prequels is that it seemed stupid for Obi-Wan and Luke to be hiding on Tatooine, since that is where Anakin was from. So, it would make even less sense to have Padmé be from Alderaan. At least Ben and Luke were in the Outer Rim staying hidden. Leia grows up in a prominent family and ends up in the Senate. If Padmé had been from Alderaan, Leia might have aroused more suspicion.

bigbarada
02-27-2010, 02:53 PM
I don't know about that. One complaint people had of the prequels is that it seemed stupid for Obi-Wan and Luke to be hiding on Tatooine, since that is where Anakin was from. So, it would make even less sense to have Padmé be from Alderaan. At least Ben and Luke were in the Outer Rim staying hidden. Leia grows up in a prominent family and ends up in the Senate. If Padmé had been from Alderaan, Leia might have aroused more suspicion.

I guess, but let's remember that they were so intent on hiding Luke's identity from his father, that they kept his last name of Skywalker. :p Considering that there were billions of people on Alderaan, it would have been a minor coincidence that could have been covered up quickly. Of course, that would have probably made Alderaan a thorn in the Empire's side for decades, and would help explain why they had no qualms about blowing it to bits.

But I do agree about the Tatooine thing for Ep1. It was a silly coincidence. Maybe if Owen was actually Obi-Wan's brother, like he was in the ROTJ novelization, then going to Tatooine might have made more sense from a plot standpoint. Then Obi-Wan could have contacted his brother and they could have helped to hide them from Darth Maul.

Basically, my point is that we had these characters established in the OT, Bail Organa, Owen Lars, Beru Lars, Mon Mothma, etc. that were almost criminally underused in the Prequels when they could have been core characters throughout all three films.

On a side note, I always liked the idea that Mon Mothma might have actually been Luke and Leia's mother still in hiding. But of course, that would have been a massive loose end that would never have been resolved in ROTJ.

El Chuxter
02-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Basically, my point is that we had these characters established in the OT, Bail Organa, Owen Lars, Beru Lars, Mon Mothma, etc. that were almost criminally underused in the Prequels when they could have been core characters throughout all three films.

Tarkin, Dodonna, and Riekkan probably should go on that list, too. Boba Fett should not. Wouldn't hurt to have Piett in there working as a lower-level Republic officer who stayed loyal; I always got the impression he was more like Rommel or Lee, a man who only is seen as a villain due to his loyalty to an evil or misguided nation, and it would've been nice to see more of him. (And it looks like stupid EU writers have portrayed him as a calculating opportunist, which is directly in contrast with what we see on screen, and, if Lucas wanted to retcon stuff anyway, why not restore Piett's honor?)

I don't want to turn this into another PT vs OT debate, but it would've been nice to see the following points kept canon:
1) Owen is Obi-Wan's brother. Obi-Wan is from Tatooine. Anakin is, most likely, not.
2) Leia's mother does not die during Leia's infancy. The two live in hiding for a few years before her mother dies of unknown causes, and Leia has vague memories of this time.
3) Jedi were not restricted from having relationships.
4) If Jabba were to show up anyway, it would've been nice to show something to back up his "I killed many Jedi, back when it meant something to be a Jedi" claim from the ROTJ novelization.

bigbarada
02-27-2010, 03:55 PM
something to back up his "I killed many Jedi, back when it meant something to be a Jedi" claim from the ROTJ novelization.

Yeah, they could have done a scene where he slips and falls off of a balcony and lands on top of a bunch of Jedi. :D

Of course, according to that novelization, Jabba the Hutt started out as a human-like character and just got so fat that his legs were swallowed up into his body and, having nowhere else to go, the fat just started forming him a tail.

JediTricks
02-27-2010, 03:59 PM
What did we know about Bail Organa in ANH? "General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. [...] You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour."

In that simple speech, we were given a man who served in the Clone Wars at a high rank, one that Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi served during that fight. He's on Alderaan. He has raised a daughter who is willing to die to ensure the plans to the Death Star get into his hands. He is struggling against the Empire, and the Rebellion he is in is desperate. He seems to be a man of standing and honor, and yet he's risking it for the betterment of the galaxy. In just a few words, we know more about him than all of the prequels combined. Tossing out Lucas' cheap, embarrassing "well, he was this, from a certain point of view" garbage, the prequels delivered no such Bail Organa. No "served in the Clone Wars", no real power behind the Rebellion, no honor that must be bowed to get Kenobi back into the fight. Nothing of the sort.

I disagree that these characters like Bail and Dodonna and Mon Mothma HAD to be used in the prequels, but if you're GOING to use them, you have to use them APPROPRIATELY. You can't use them as cheap cameos, and you can't undersell the actions they take at the birth of the Empire if you're going to show them. There is nothing cinematic or impactful about watching a handful of nobodies sitting around a small office making up their minds, especially when we're not even invested in them beforehand. Random senator-types walking around for a few seconds does not a backstory make.

2-1B
02-28-2010, 12:00 AM
bigB, if they made Naboo into Alderaan for episodes 1-3, then it would break continuity when we see Jar Jar at the end of episode 6. If Alderaan is destroyed in episode 4, then it can't possibly exist in episode 6.

JimJamBonds
02-28-2010, 12:12 AM
I don't want to turn this into another PT vs OT debate, but it would've been nice to see the following points kept canon:

4) If Jabba were to show up anyway, it would've been nice to show something to back up his "I killed many Jedi, back when it meant something to be a Jedi" claim from the ROTJ novelization.

So books are cannon El Chuckie? :confused: :crazed: Yes its about the movie BUT as you pointed out its from the book and NOT the movie so imho its close but no cigar. :yes:

El Chuxter
02-28-2010, 12:17 AM
No, but why allow other people to tell stories in your universe, present them as canon, and suddenly invalidate them because it makes things easier for the latest draft of your new movie?

JimJamBonds
02-28-2010, 12:32 AM
No, but why allow other people to tell stories in your universe, present them as canon, and suddenly invalidate them because it makes things easier for the latest draft of your new movie?

Umm by the above statement you are saying that the books are indeed cannon EC.

El Chuxter
02-28-2010, 12:35 AM
Only Slicker's Mom is canon. Interpret that as you will.

JimJamBonds
02-28-2010, 12:37 AM
Only Slicker's Mom is canon. Interpret that as you will.

I'm not sure if "canon" is the correct verbage to I follow you. :p

Mad Slanted Powers
02-28-2010, 12:50 AM
This is a cannon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannon).

This is "Cannon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mudTIboIYGI)."

William Conrad was Cannon (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3634075648/nm0002016).

This is canon (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon).

bigbarada
02-28-2010, 02:40 AM
bigB, if they made Naboo into Alderaan for episodes 1-3, then it would break continuity when we see Jar Jar at the end of episode 6. If Alderaan is destroyed in episode 4, then it can't possibly exist in episode 6.

Well, I don't recall seeing Jar Jar at the end of ROTJ. Even if he was, then he could have just been offworld when Alderaan was destroyed.

As for the extended celebration scene in ROTJ, that was just a Special Edition add on. It could have been deleted without much fuss.

JediTricks
03-01-2010, 06:24 PM
This is a cannon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannon).

This is "Cannon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mudTIboIYGI)."

William Conrad was Cannon (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3634075648/nm0002016).

This is canon (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon).
Very nicely done. I'd only add...

This is the original Ganon (http://www.zeldawiki.org/images/2/2c/Ganon12.png).

2-1B
03-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Thread over. Return of Gannon. (http://www.returnofganon.com/)
(that's a playable link, BTW)