PDA

View Full Version : Comic Packs Question

SirSteve
01-11-2010, 02:52 PM
So we are cataloging the Star Wars Comic Packs at CollectionStation.com (http://www.collectionstation.com) and want to know if you consider the Comic Packs a separate line by themselves or under another line (i.e. 30th Anniversary Collection, Legacy Collection, etc.) like Titanium Series and TRANSFORMERS Crossovers. To better help visualize it, below is a tree structure.

30th Anniversary Collection
- Basic 3 3/4" Action Figures
- Vehicles
- etc
Legacy Collection
- Vehicles
- etc
The Clone Wars
- Vehicles
- etc
Titanium Series Die-Cast
TRANSFORMERS Crossovers
Comic Packs

OR

- Vehicles
- Comic Packs
- etc
Legacy Collection
- Vehicles
- Comic Packs (blue & red package)
- etc
The Clone Wars
- Vehicles
- etc
Titanium Series Die-Cast
TRANSFORMERS Crossovers

pbarnard
01-11-2010, 03:06 PM
They're almost their own subline, but with two branches really: Walmart Exclusives and Everywhere + Walmart. The card art implies they are part of the Legacy/30th line in the same way that the single carded figures, battlepacks, and vehicles are because of the shared art. Since you're seperating out the vehicles and battlepacks from the singles, comics should I guess be their own category as well.

Ji'dai
01-11-2010, 03:12 PM
- Vehicles
- Comic Packs
- etc
Legacy Collection
- Vehicles
- Comic Packs (blue & red package)
- etc
The Clone Wars
- Vehicles
- etc
Titanium Series Die-Cast
TRANSFORMERS Crossovers In my inventory, I organize the Comic Packs with whatever current line they were released in, like the tree structure above. I don't really understand Hasbro's numbering system on the Comic Packs. The cardbacks are numbered (except for exclusives) and the comic book pack-ins also have a pack number (not the issue #) located with the publisher information.

For example, the Luke Skywalker & Lumiya Comic Pack has #7 on the cardback but the comic (a reprint of Marvel Star Wars #96) says "Hasbro SW Comic Pack #42" on the inside.

mtriv73
01-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Like PB, I consider them their own subline.

SirSteve
01-11-2010, 03:47 PM
The art/package theme comes down from LucasFilm and is what you will find across all Star Wars products (not just Hasbro). I would consider them as part of each line (Legacy Collection for example) if it implicitly stated "Legacy Collection" on the package but they do not. That's my thoughts on it...

JediTricks
01-11-2010, 04:11 PM
They are their own line with a consistent asst number through all the packaging changes, 87505. This makes it impossible to put it under TAC and TLC in my book, as Comic Packs have been their own continuing assortment throughout both of those. I do think of the sets as their specific lines based on the packaging schemes and when they were released, but the reality is that they are as separate a line as Titanium Series or Clone Wars. The packaging for Battle Packs says "Legacy Collection" right under the Star Wars logo, the packaging for Comic Packs doesn't have another line name anywhere.

Darth Jax
01-11-2010, 06:11 PM
since there are so many repacks of the comic packs. i've always classified them as a subset of whichever line they shared packaging with. since hasbro was so scattered with numbering of the comic packs i found it much easier to keep track of them by line

JediTricks
01-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Let me ask a different question:

If you were using a program to organize your collection, would you be thrown by the lack of Comic Packs under its various lines? Would you be derailed by seeing it higher up in the tree as its own line?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-11-2010, 06:30 PM
I think they should be organized with the lines (30th Anniversary Collection, The Legacy Collection) that they appeared with. That's how I see them, at least.

Ando
01-11-2010, 06:33 PM
If it were me, I would organize them separately as their own line, like the Titaniums, etc. They are numbered, too. Except for the WM exclusives IIRC.

DarkArtist
01-12-2010, 01:19 PM
i consider them to be a seperate line all together. might be easier as a seperate tab in CS.

SirSteve
01-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Ok... so it looks like everyone considers them as a separate line. Good. That makes it easier. As for the exclusives, there is an attribute for "Exclusive to" so you can view (filter) all the exclusives separately. Thanks for all the input.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Ok... so it looks like everyone considers them as a separate line. Good. That makes it easier. As for the exclusives, there is an attribute for "Exclusive to" so you can view (filter) all the exclusives separately. Thanks for all the input.
Er . . . it was 5 to 3, that's not quite "everyone". :p But, proceed as you wish.

SirSteve
01-12-2010, 08:12 PM
I've been talking to others outside the forums as well... ;)

Mad Slanted Powers
01-13-2010, 07:38 PM
The back of the card on the ones I have says "Legacy Collection." When I put them in my spreadsheet, I list the line it came from. Checklists on other sites list them with their respective line.

Edit - I only see the "Legacy Collection" on the red card ones, not the blue ones, and I didn't see "30th Anniversary" on the TAC ones. The packaging matches, though, while Titanium Series had it's own distinct look.

SirSteve
01-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Hmm.... thanks for pointing that out. I never noticed it stated "Legacy Collection" on them.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Also, the comics from the 30th Anniversary Collection all have the "30: 77-07" logo on them. The package makes no mention of it, but there it is. And that was the logo used on all TAC products; there wasn't anything that literally said "30th Anniversary Collection," as I recall.

The Vader/Rebel and Han/Chewie packs that were recently released in Legacy Collection packaging actually still have the "30: 77-07" on them, which I assume is just a mistake as they likely didn't want to spend money to change the comic itself.

SirSteve
01-13-2010, 11:34 PM
I did notice that but it also was on the blue themed package from 2008.

JediTricks
01-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Saga Legends also say "Legacy Collection" on them and the red package Legacy Collection boxed toys have Clone Wars clone trooper art on them, to further confuse things.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Saga Legends also say "Legacy Collection" on them and the red package Legacy Collection boxed toys have Clone Wars clone trooper art on them, to further confuse things.
It's not confusing if you're paying attention. ;) :D "Legacy Collection" is the umbrella term for all realistic products released on the red packaging; most people lump it in with "The Legacy Collection," the blue-package stuff from July 2008 through summer 2009, but whether or not you choose to do that depends on how anal you are. The two basic figure lines under (The) Legacy Collection are Droid Factory and Saga Legends, but the former often gets called Legacy Collection when that isn't technically correct (even Hasbro has done this from time to time).

The clones on the package is the overall line look used by not just Hasbro but Lego and many other companies so people can easily spot the brand in the store. It's like how the black-and-orange look was used even on OT products back in 2005. Perhaps they should have differentiated more, like in 1999 when TPM stuff had Darth Maul and red and OT stuff had Darth Vader and green.

But of course you already knew this. :p

Oh, and another thing - the Comic Packs differ from other sublines, like Transformers, Unleashed, and Titanium Series, in that they are part of the 3 3/4" line while those are not. So I categorize them under their respective lines (Legacy or TAC) in much the same way I do the battle packs or vehicles.

bigbarada
01-15-2010, 02:29 PM
I just solve the problem by not buying Comic Packs. :D

Actually, I've bought a couple of sets for myself, but no more than 5 since the line began. I really just have no interest in most of those figures.

However, whenever I do feel the need to categorize stuff, I do it by release year, not by the name of the toy line. I categorize all realistic 3 3/4" scale toys under the umbrella term of Star Wars and separate them by year. Stuff like Clone Wars, Galactic Heroes and all those other sublines that I don't collect get classified separately.