PDA

View Full Version : "Spider-Man 4" not happening; Sony's giving Spidey a reboot!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-11-2010, 06:41 PM
http://www.superherohype.com/news/spider-mannews.php?id=8976

I gotta say as much as I was iffy on SM3, this is an AWFUL AWFUL idea. Movie studios need to stop with the reboots and origins stories.

Your thoughts?

Darth Metalmute
01-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Thats crap and I will not see it even if everyone says its a good movie. It's one thing to reboot a movie franshise when the last movie was decades ago, its a complete idiotic thing to reboot a series when the last movie was only 3+ years ago, and at a time when the 4th movie was due out next year. Rebooting Batman was a good idea due to what the movie studios turned Batman into. Spiderman on the other hand was well done to a point.

What happened with the 4th movie anyways? I thought they had the cast signed up and everything was set in motion.

Darth Jax
01-11-2010, 07:05 PM
good. it'll give sam more time to make smaller horror flicks. 'drag me to hell' was so much better than any of the spidey flicks.

JediTricks
01-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Epic fail! I don't use that term often, but this is appropriate. Of course, the idea of John Malkovich as The Vulture wasn't sitting too well either, but I'd take that over a crappy reboot that the studio will micromanage into the ground any day. Raimi didn't want another SM3 debacle, the studio was already trying to force bad ideas like Anne Hathaway as the Vultress (WTF??? And she's a charismatic actress, but seriously, Spidey villain? Nooo.) so he stood fast and his cast stood with him, and Sony swept them out with the trash. It's too soon to reboot Spidey, and the world doesn't need another iconic superhero movie without a vision behind it - look at XMO:Wolverine.

2-1B
01-11-2010, 07:35 PM
If it means the end of Tobey Maguire, then I can't say it's 100% bad...

However I will agree with JMGuy that it's WAY too soon for a reboot on this series. Even if Spider-Man 3 was poor, they should work hard to put out a better movie this time and get it headed back in a better direction WITHOUT this reboot nonsense.

Beast
01-11-2010, 08:18 PM
There are a lot of positive aspects to this. Even if I'm still a bit stunned.

They can look back at the problems with Raimi's Spidey films and hopefully not repeat them.

No more Emo Peter Parker. No more dance numbers. And a real Green Goblin, instead of Might Morphin' Goblin Ranger.

Still stupid how against classic villains like Vulture and Lizard are. Yet they forced lame *** Venom on Raimi.

Darth Duranium
01-11-2010, 08:33 PM
The shark's been jumped so many times by the Raimi/Maguire team that it has tire marks on it, IMO. I thought the 3rd one showed they were totally bereft of good ideas. The dance sequence says it all.

Reboots can be good (Trek, Bats) or not (Supes, Teminator)... I just hope they don't suck all the humour out like Bond and Bats. The Hulk will suck no matter how many times they try.:D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-11-2010, 08:33 PM
JT is correct on what went wrong.

and I'm guessing we'll see somebody say something like, "we want to make it darker, more realistic like 'the dark knight,'" cos that's what all execs think every freakin' superhero movie is: dark and gritty. Grrr. :upset:

Beast
01-11-2010, 08:38 PM
JT is correct on what went wrong.

and I'm guessing we'll see somebody say something like, "we want to make it darker, more realistic like 'the dark knight,'" cos that's what all execs think every freakin' superhero movie is: dark and gritty. Grrr. :upset:
Nah. They're making him a teenager again so they can pull in the Twilight crowd.

It's pretty much stated in the press release.

pbarnard
01-11-2010, 08:46 PM
So they want a vampire for a villian. So what is the point of Blade in the Marvel-verse (beyond not paying taxes on your sallary from the film)?

Beast
01-11-2010, 09:11 PM
So they want a vampire for a villian. So what is the point of Blade in the Marvel-verse (beyond not paying taxes on your sallary from the film)?
I don't think that's what it means. I think the point is they want a teenaged Spider-Man.

LTBasker
01-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Well, they could introduce an Edward-like character with Morbius, and Spidey's suit could start sparkling. ;)

Arguable flaws aside, I loved Raimi's take on Spider-man with the first two movies, the third sucked, but they could always have Spidey make a deal with Mephisto to retcon that later. :p It definitely is too early to start a new version of Spidey since Raimi's version is still rather fresh in peoples' minds.

I think if they want to go with another Spidey film in the next few years without it being a horrible decision, they should give Raimi a more realistic release date and start over on Spidey 4 from scratch.

bigbarada
01-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Well, the downside of Spider-Man is that Peter Parker is only an interesting character if he's a social-misfit high school student. Unfortunately that's not possible with live action films and years between sequels.

If they are intent on rebooting the franchise, then I would prefer that they do it as a live-action TV show. This just seems like a really, really bad idea.

What's worse is that, once I heard the news about Spider-Man 4 a few months back, I actually forced myself to sit through the horrible Spider-Man 3 when it was on FX. That was torture.

Maradona
01-12-2010, 12:40 PM
If I understand correctly, Sony's deal with Marvel for the feature film rights to the characters they have licensed expires if a certain amount of time passes without a film being produced. Given the financial potential of the franchise, Sony would rather rush a quickly planned, mediocre Spiderman film out to meet the contractual timeframe than risk losing the rights to further films by taking the time to adequately develop and nurture a film.

Lord Malakite
01-12-2010, 01:50 PM
I can already see the reboot in my head, it will look just like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vaJgm_5kRs). :thumbsup:

mabudonicus
01-12-2010, 02:51 PM
That's REBOOT Malakite, not ROBOT

Seriously, as stupid as the idea of a "Vulturess" was, I have a feeling it would have been brilliant next to whatever gets squeezed out of this mess yeeesh
:beard: Iso&Baws&Topes
This news just saved us at least 25$ and probably much more

Blue2th
01-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Robert Pattinson replaces Tobey Maguire

http://www.reelzchannel.com/movie-news/3028/robert-pattinson-replaces-tobey-maguire-in-spider-man-4

sith_killer_99
01-12-2010, 10:46 PM
I fear this may go down as the worst decision since moving Jay Leno to the 10 p.m. time slot!:laugh:

Maradona
01-12-2010, 10:55 PM
April Fool's came early this year.

Rocketboy
01-12-2010, 11:33 PM
I fear this may go down as the worst decision since moving Jay Leno to the 10 p.m. time slot!:laugh:Or moving him back to 11:35pm.

JimJamBonds
01-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Epic fail!

Yeah, pretty much.

JediTricks
01-13-2010, 04:25 PM
April Fool's came early this year.
actually, right on time... for last year, when it was written. :p

preacher
01-13-2010, 11:34 PM
Epic fail! I don't use that term often, but this is appropriate. Of course, the idea of John Malkovich as The Vulture wasn't sitting too well either, but I'd take that over a crappy reboot that the studio will micromanage into the ground any day. Raimi didn't want another SM3 debacle, the studio was already trying to force bad ideas like Anne Hathaway as the Vultress (WTF??? And she's a charismatic actress, but seriously, Spidey villain? Nooo.) so he stood fast and his cast stood with him, and Sony swept them out with the trash. It's too soon to reboot Spidey, and the world doesn't need another iconic superhero movie without a vision behind it - look at XMO:Wolverine.

Malkovich seemed to me to be a strange choice for Vulture. Not too far fetched but very unexpected. The guy that I thought should be chosen played in Lucky Number Slevin. He was one of the mob bosses in that movie. Looks a little bit like Patrick Steward. Except the guy I'm think of had a bit more nose.

I still think the Wanted kid would be a killer Peter Parker.

I'm getting tired of all these reboots too. But we kind of asked for it over the last ten years by, as an audience, buying into Hollywood creating remake after remake.

Darth Duranium
01-13-2010, 11:58 PM
Malkovich seemed to me to be a strange choice for Vulture. Not too far fetched but very unexpected. The guy that I thought should be chosen played in Lucky Number Slevin. He was one of the mob bosses in that movie. Looks a little bit like Patrick Steward. Except the guy I'm think of had a bit more nose.

I'm getting tired of all these reboots too. But we kind of asked for it over the last ten years by, as an audience, buying into Hollywood creating remake after remake.

Ben Kingsley was the guy from Slevin (great flick)... you're advocating Gandhi to be the Vulture? Interesting pick.

Reboot=Remake. This is nothing new for Hollywood, methinks.

Malkovich as a black hat baddie? This is nothing new for Hollywood, methinks.

Forget Bryan Singer's new BSG reboot and Spidey 4. I'm just waiting for a reboot of GUMBY!!!:D:D:D:D

preacher
01-16-2010, 01:48 AM
Ben Kingsley was the guy from Slevin (great flick)... you're advocating Gandhi to be the Vulture? Interesting pick.

Reboot=Remake. This is nothing new for Hollywood, methinks.

Malkovich as a black hat baddie? This is nothing new for Hollywood, methinks.

Forget Bryan Singer's new BSG reboot and Spidey 4. I'm just waiting for a reboot of GUMBY!!!:D:D:D:D

Ha! HE played Gandhi? But yeah I guess I am nominating him as the vulture.

Beast
01-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Ha! HE played Gandhi? But yeah I guess I am nominating him as the vulture.
He was in talks for the role back when Vulture was supposed to be in Spidey 3.

It would have been cool. Much better than the crap we got with the shoehorned Venom.

Rocketboy
01-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Marc Webb ((500) Days of Summer) has signed up to direct a new Spidey trilogy.