PDA

View Full Version : 2010 "Blue Sky" Packaging

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-13-2010, 11:08 PM
StarWars.com (http://www.starwars.com/vault/collecting/news20100113.html) got the official first look at the new packaging, which is what we saw a while back. At any rate, it's got a big ol' shot of an action figure card, and I actually kind of dig it. It's strange to have a sunburst for the first time in a long time, but I think it works. I also like the large character art, which I think should compliment the vintage packaging for the realistic figures. Rex's pose is a little cover girl-ish, but alright. Seeing actual packages and not mock-ups will be the deciding factor in whether these work or not, I suppose.

SirSteve
01-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Glad we never changed over the site look to match the 2009 "red" theme. :D

bigbarada
01-14-2010, 01:11 AM
I still think they should have used orange clouds instead of blue. It would hint at Geonosis, where the Clone Wars began, and it would be a much more dynamic color on the store shelves.

Darth Jax
01-14-2010, 07:25 AM
orange and blue - i'd expect to find a horse's head in the package.

DarkArtist
01-14-2010, 10:10 AM
i'm on the fence at the moment with this packaging. I like the art workfor the characters but the blue cloud theme isn't really speaking to me yet. looking forward to seeing them on the pegs in local stores though.

sonofsokol
01-14-2010, 01:20 PM
I like the new packaging, it looks sharp. It will be intersting to see in person, but from the pics, the cut-out looks deeper than the currrent cards, so hopefully it will stay on the shelves better. There is nothing like cleaining up an avalanche of Saggy Legends and CW figures after attempting to get the Legacy figure that has been shoved to the back of the peg. My 4-year-old gets a real kick out of it though.

pbarnard
01-14-2010, 01:51 PM
They cardboard cand still be recycled, and the plastic too depending on your community. So after I open it up, nothing much has changed.

Snowtrooper
01-14-2010, 01:54 PM
I think the background should have been something that is significant in CW, maybe some gunships or other things along those lines. As it is, I guess its alright, but nothing I'm going to hoot and holler about.

JediTricks
01-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Blue = spew.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-15-2010, 08:56 PM
I agree about the bigger, longer character picture; it gives it a good on-the-shelf look. Is blue better? White was too bleached to stand out, and while black is classic, it too blends in too much. To quote Han, "it'll work... it'll work."

wawe1
01-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Like it... somewhat gives off an ominous vibe.

SplFrcsCWO
01-22-2010, 01:47 AM
I think it is really dumb to change the packaging as frequently as they do. How does that help keep costs down?

Ji'dai
01-22-2010, 08:43 AM
The intention behind packaging changes is to keep sales strong by reinvigorating the line with a new look that is fresh and exciting for consumers. The reasoning is that buyers may become bored when confronted with the same old packaging year after year so it's prudent from a marketing standpoint to change it on a regular basis.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Plus, it's Lucasfilm's decision, not Hasbro's, so don't blame them.

Ji'dai's right - I was getting bored with the white-blue packaging by the time they released the ESB and AOTC waves. But I'm not bored with the current one, since it's only been around for four months. :p

El Chuxter
01-22-2010, 01:45 PM
I have to wonder how much reliable, accurate market research has been done on the "should we change the packaging every year or so" issue. Sure, if the orange cards from 1995 were still around, they'd be old, but it does seem like an unnecessary expense to overhaul the entire look so often.

bigbarada
01-22-2010, 02:16 PM
I have to wonder how much reliable, accurate market research has been done on the "should we change the packaging every year or so" issue. Sure, if the orange cards from 1995 were still around, they'd be old, but it does seem like an unnecessary expense to overhaul the entire look so often.

Especially now that they seem to be "updating" the look more than once a year and not just revisions on an overall theme (like the 2002-2003 Saga line); but complete redesigns.

Considering how the vintage Star Wars and GI Joe lines kept the same general look for several years at a time and are still considered some of the most successful boys' toy lines of all time, I would say that this current theory of redesigning the entire line every year is a load of crap.

And just chalking it up to "consumers are more sophisticated now" is a cop-out. I don't believe that at all.

I think the real reason behind these constant redesigns is so this PILOT organization can come up with another excuse to milk more money out of Lucasfilm.

pbarnard
01-22-2010, 02:21 PM
I don't buy the it costs them more conspiracy. These designs come out of marketing/test groups, so it's already budgeted. The only budget items that really affects toy production are tooling, raw materials, and shipping. Plus, since I open things that I buy, I could care less what the card is because the cardboard part is recycled (locally they don't collect the plasic of the bubble).

bigbarada
01-22-2010, 02:36 PM
I don't buy the it costs them more conspiracy. These designs come out of marketing/test groups, so it's already budgeted. The only budget items that really affects toy production are tooling, raw materials, and shipping. Plus, since I open things that I buy, I could care less what the card is because the cardboard part is recycled (locally they don't collect the plasic of the bubble).

It shouldn't cost Hasbro any more, but the Graphic Designers who create these themes don't work for free. Somebody has to pay them for all the hours that designing these themes takes (that includes paying them for all the hours working on rejected designs).

I think Lucasfilm is paying for it, since PILOT seems to answer directly to them; but it's just a waste of money especially when they redesign the entire line more than once a year.

El Chuxter
01-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Changes to the actual card shape (as has happened, IIRC, at least once per year for the last few years) would cost Hasbro more, as they'd have to design and pay for a new die-cut template. Artwork changes would cost the same in terms of printing costs, as long as no special inks are used (which has occasionally been the case, like the metallic inks on chase figures in both the Legacy and OTC lines).

Bel-Cam Jos
01-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Well, well, well. Sounds like it's time for a list (LISTS... :drool: ). Feel free to correct me if/when I omit a card line, or get the wrong order.

STAR WARS 3 3/4" FIGURES CARD DESIGNS, 1978-present:
1. Kenner vintage (SW, ESB, ROJ logos)
2. Kenner vintage Power of the Force
3. POTF2 (orange, green)
4. Shadows of the Empire
5. Episode I
6. Power of the Jedi
7. Clone Wars (Cartoon Network, "realistic" look)
8. Saga/Attack of the Clones
9. Saga/black card style
10. Revenge of the Sith
11. Original Trilogy Collection
12. 30th Anniversary
13. The Force Unleashed
14. Clone Wars
15. Legacy
16. "Blue Sky"

If my list is right (probably not) and you count color or logo "variant" cards, that's 20 designs over 32+ years (a new card every 1.6 years or so), but not considering the gap from about 1986-1995 with no new product (if so, it's closer to a new card style EVERY YEAR).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-23-2010, 01:20 PM
I feel free to correct you, and I shall do so. I want to include the variant color and logo cards as separate things . . . since they are. I'll only include figures from a wide release (so things like Star Tours are not included).

1. Star Wars - 1978-1980
2. The Empire Strikes Back - 1980-1983
3. Return of the Jedi - 1983-1985
4. The Power of the Force - 1985
5. Droids - 1985
6. Ewoks - 1985
7. The Power of the Force "2" - orange - 1995-1996
8. The Power of the Force "2" - green, picture/sticker - 1996-1997
9. Shadows of the Empire - 1996
10. The Power of the Force "2" - green, Freeze Frame - 1998
11. The Power of the Force "2" - green, Flashback Photo - 1999
12. Expanded Universe - 1998
13. Episode I - 1999-2000
14. The Power of the Force "2" - green, Commtech Chip - 1999-2000
15. Power of the Jedi - Force File - 2000-2001
16. Power of the Jedi - picture - 2002
17. Attack of the Clones sneak peek - 2002
18. Star Wars "Saga" - blue - 2002
19. Clone Wars - 2003
20. Clone Wars "Animated" - 2003
21. Star Wars "Saga" - blue and gold - 2003
22. Star Wars "Saga" - dark blue, white, and gold - 2003-2004
23. The Original Trilogy Collection - 2004
24. "Post-Original Trilogy Collection" - 2005
25. Revenge of the Sith - 2005
26. The Saga Collection - 2006
27. "30th Anniversary Collection" - 2007-2008
28. The Legacy Collection - stormtrooper, black eyes - 2008
29. The Clone Wars - clone trooper, black visor - 2008
30. The Legacy Collection - stormtrooper, blue eyes - 2008-2009
31. The Clone Wars - clone trooper, blue visor - 2008-2009
32. Legacy Collection - black trim - 2009-2010
33. The Clone Wars - red trim - 2009-2010

Some of those differences might be seen as a little nitpicky, and I didn't include Saga Legends or its many name and packaging changes. Whew.

Darth Jax
01-23-2010, 08:28 PM
there were also the "vintage" release figures and the clamshells they came in.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-24-2010, 01:08 PM
there were also the "vintage" release figures and the clamshells they came in.
I didn't include those since they were outside the basic price range, but I suppose you could add them (though you'd have to add the 2004 OTC ones and the 2006/2007 TSC ones as separate entries, at least in my book). I forgot Droids and Ewoks, so I edited those in there.

SplFrcsCWO
02-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Didn't Hasbro state recently the bubble sizes will be smaller to keep costs down? I believe that was the reason they gave for why large accessories won't be included with basic figures. I will state that I was greatful for the switch from ROTS packaging. Boy did that suck!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-07-2010, 10:58 PM
After getting Grievous, the Cloud Car, and Luke's Snowspeeder today, I quite like the packaging. The vehicles aren't too different from what we've been seeing lately, with the fold-out diorama and so on, but I like the darker nature of the box. I also do like the picture of Rex, as I'm sure it will give a cohesive feel to the line.

The basic figure card is a little overly busy, though. There are so many different call-outs - for the figure's feature, the base and die, the game mat mail-away, and the free online video code. It helps to give added perceived value to the figure, I guess, but they could have toned it down a bit. It's somewhat odd that the figure is holed up in one part of the bubble while the game pieces take up another, but it gets rid of the somewhat blank/empty look of the most recent cards. You can barely see the starburst or large character picture with everything on there, but I like how those are sort of throwbacks to previous card designs, so it's nice. And I like the black designs; as with the TAC cards, it looks like it could be a product from the SW galaxy itself, which is fun.

DarkArtist
07-10-2010, 02:42 PM
hey does anyone know if they are going to release, Sidious, Aayla, Hondo and Thi Sen on this new sky blue packaging.... I have still yet to find these guys anywhere at retail and starting to lose hope.... I'm wondering if Hasbro shortpacked these figures like the EU wave for Legacy