PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy The Escape Pod Vehicle From ANH?

Tycho
01-15-2010, 04:12 PM
I am continuing my 3 3/4" vehicle thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case The Escape Pod Vehicle From ANH).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy The Escape Pod Vehicle From ANH?

This vehicle would unfortunately fit into the starfighter assortment (if made to the correct scale). So I think we should add electronics and maybe even lights. This vehicle must NOT have firing missiles!

I don't have the Essential Guide or Incredible Cross-Sections at my fingertips at the moment, but I'd assume a toy vehicle could be made to seat at least 4 figures.

R2D2 and C-3PO should be able to walk into a boarding hatch that's either in the roof of the pod, or along its side, but not board between the engine ignition nozzels. There should be seats and a control counsel. For $20 you could add electronics to the vehicle with R2D2 and C-3PO dialogue and sound effects like, "Now come out of there before someone sees you, you overweight blob of greese!" and "Secret mission? What mission? I'm not getting in there!" And don't forget Artoo's nasty retorts!

Do you want this made?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

Do you want to see support for this ship demonstrated by inclusion in The Clone Wars Annimated Series?

mtriv73
01-15-2010, 04:27 PM
I would love it and I agree with everthing you said except with a sound chip I'd expect it to be $35-40.
Unfortunately, I don't think it would sell well outside of collector circles and kids who are really die-hard Star Wars fans. It's a very memorable and exciting scene, but other than blasting away from the Tantive IV and landing on Tatooine (most of which we don't even see in the movie) it doesn't do anything.

So yes, I would buy it, but I don't expect it to get made outside of a possible re-release of the little deluxe version we got a few years ago.

pbarnard
01-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Since we already have one (no matter how pawltry), the answer is not until a lot of other things are made first. So that's a NO.

JediTricks
01-15-2010, 04:55 PM
I'm happy with the one I have. There's a chance I'd buy a bigger one, but most likely not so I'll vote "no". This will probably be the first ANH vehicle to not get the votes.

Background Character
01-15-2010, 05:04 PM
A detailed version that is to scale would be very cool. I'm thinking about $30 to get it right. I agree that this probably would not have a wide appeal outside of the hardcore collectors.

Don't think it would do well, but I would buy one. Maybe if they included the perfect R2 and C3PO it would do better, but doubt it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-15-2010, 05:12 PM
No, I don't want another one. The smallish one we have is fine for me.

Darth Jax
01-15-2010, 06:06 PM
don't think i'd buy one larger than what we have. count me in the "no" category. don't see how hasbro could package it or spin it to interest any but the most hardcore of collectors. see this being a failure at retail and a waste of shelf space.

Snowtrooper
01-15-2010, 07:22 PM
I'd buy it. But there's no way it would ever get made this well. Hasbro would never view this as a vehicle worthy of making into the $20 range.

morpheus282
01-15-2010, 09:06 PM
The one that came with the deluxe C-3PO is fine with me. It's big enough to be useful, small enough not to take up a lot of space, and fits into the fighter bay on the BMF. I'll pass on any upgrade.

sith_killer_99
01-15-2010, 09:23 PM
I'd buy it.:yes:

DarkJedi5
01-16-2010, 01:44 PM
If it were significantly better than the one we have I would get it. It's not great for the vehicle line but could be the center of one of two awesome battle packs. Option one would be the droids which is kinda boring but maybe work in a Krayyt dragon skull and people would love it. Other option is a platoon of sandtroopers which would make a cool troop builder option.

Darth Metalmute
01-20-2010, 06:21 PM
It would have to be significantly better than the one we have and at the same time not increase in size. So I would say no.

A bigger one would look rediculous sitting next to any of the other $30 vehicle.

Tycho
01-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Well a single-seat starfighter like the Delta-7 (I was next to Obi-Wan's full size "real" ship at Celebration 2 in Indy) is actually going to possibly be smaller than a 6-8 seat (in actuality) escape pod from a capital ship.

So, even though the escape pod which really need only seat 4 figures for play value, is possibly larger than a Delta-7 or A-wing for that matter, the toy doesn't need to be.

DarkArtist
01-21-2010, 01:39 PM
I'm satisfied with the Saga version from a few years back so i'll pass.

Darkross
01-21-2010, 08:47 PM
For me it would depend if they made it true to scale or not. A larger scale would probably make me buy another one. I have stalled on the new Dewback for a couple of months now, and the AT-STs were higher on my want list. I bought the Saga version of the pod a few years ago and I am happy with it.

Tycho
02-10-2010, 04:11 AM
JediTricks' prediction looks to be accurate: this is the first vehicle from ANH that we polled for which looks like it will lose.

7 no votes
6 yes votes

at the time of this posting.

I didn't vote myself. I'm not quite sure what I'd do - put it in the scene with Sandtroopers and Dewbacks? Maybe. Is it something I'm clamoring to do? No.

A scene with ONE dewback and 3-4 Sandtroopers is sufficient for me. I know I go huge on some dioramas. This won't be one of them.

I could feasibly do a larger Dune Sea thing though - with the Lars Homestead and the Purchase of the Droids / Sandcrawler all in the same scene with the escape pod and the dewbacks - maybe sandpeople on banthas as well.

It wouldn't compare to Mos Eisley though.