PDA

View Full Version : What sort of EU nonsense is this?!?

JediTricks
01-16-2010, 08:35 PM
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/T-24_airspeeder

Are you kidding me? This is what passed Lucas Licensing 9 years ago??? This is the dopiest thing I've ever seen. It smacks of laziness. "Well, it'll be a snowspeeder but without cannons, and we'll put an Imperial Shuttle-type wing on the top, that'll say 'prequels', right?"

That has to be one of the goofiest things the EU has puked out in the last 10 years.

Old Fossil
01-16-2010, 08:39 PM
And it's apparently what terrifies Bill Gates!

Slicker
01-16-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm still shocked that people are surprised at how lame the EU is.

JediTricks
01-16-2010, 09:24 PM
C'mon, be fair, this is WAY lamer than a lot of the EU, something like the V-wing (EU) is miles above this turkey.

Plus, this is a design that is very OT, yet takes place early in the PT.

Slicker
01-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Indeed it is way lamer (and HIGHLY unimaginitive) but to me it seems that the EU is just scrapping the bottom of the barrel more and more lately. Zombie stormies? C'mon...

Rocketboy
01-16-2010, 10:29 PM
That has to be one of the goofiest things the EU has puked out in the last 10 years.Apparently you've forgotten everything that takes place after Return of the Jedi.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-16-2010, 11:22 PM
What's so goofy about it? It's made by the same company that makes the T-47, so why shouldn't it have some similarities? We had the TIE Fighter, and Darth Vader's TIE, then TIE Bombers and TIE Interceptors. EU added TIE Defenders and other similar ships. If it is because it is a bad design, then perhaps that is why so few were made.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-17-2010, 10:44 AM
So I shouldn't mention that I kind of liked it in that Kenobi/Jinn comic? Don't car companies (you remember them... used to make cars, people sometimes bought them?) put similar molding and features on/in their models? I don't think it's carp; this, as has been alluded to here, is tame compared to a TIE Ugly (real) or the difficult-to-envision CursiveQ-Wing Fighter (not real... yet :eek: ).

Darth Metalmute
01-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Apparently you've forgotten everything that takes place after Return of the Jedi.

Or everything that take place before a New Hope.

Wait, thats not fair. Knight of the Old Republic for Xbox is cool.

JimJamBonds
01-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Indeed it is way lamer (and HIGHLY unimaginitive) but to me it seems that the EU is just scrapping the bottom of the barrel more and more lately. Zombie stormies? C'mon...

Ding ding!

JediTricks
01-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Apparently you've forgotten everything that takes place after Return of the Jedi.What? That's my favorite EU period, that's where the Thrawn trilogy takes place. And Legacy has some charm, to tell the truth.

What's so goofy about it? It's made by the same company that makes the T-47, so why shouldn't it have some similarities? We had the TIE Fighter, and Darth Vader's TIE, then TIE Bombers and TIE Interceptors. EU added TIE Defenders and other similar ships. If it is because it is a bad design, then perhaps that is why so few were made.It's the EXACT SAME design 40 years prior to ESB, except with a fin on top. The TIE legacy all happened at the same time, it'd be stupid to see a TIE Fighter with 1 wing in TPM calling itself a predecessor.

So I shouldn't mention that I kind of liked it in that Kenobi/Jinn comic? Don't car companies (you remember them... used to make cars, people sometimes bought them?) put similar molding and features on/in their models? I don't think it's carp; this, as has been alluded to here, is tame compared to a TIE Ugly (real) or the difficult-to-envision CursiveQ-Wing Fighter (not real... yet :eek: ).This isn't "similar molding", this is basically identical from the Snowspeeder. You can't go out and buy a Model-T anymore though. You can't buy an Edsel or even a 1972 Ford LTD. Cars don't look like that anymore, there have been sweeping changes in aesthetics and function. Nor do you look through pictures of your grandparents standing next to their Prius.

There's a clear delineation between car eras, you can even tell a Ford GT from a Ford GT-40, a 2000s Thunderbird from a 1960s one, a modern Mustang from a '60s one, Camero, Challenger, all those retro cars that are meant to look like the originals clearly have their own modern statements, so there's no retro credibility with this T-24.

And then there's the whole "prequel-era designs don't look like OT-era designs on purpose" thing which the T-24 absolutely fails at. The Uglies are designs not built that way but cobbled together out of need, so it's ok to see them later, but it'd make no sense to see them earlier.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-17-2010, 06:01 PM
It doesn't look exactly the same to me. Old cars have big fins on them, hence the fin on this one.

Slicker
01-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Well, it doesn't look exactly like it because it has a stupid fin on top and, as JT said, no guns. Other than that it looks EXACTLY the same. So I guess you're correct...from a certain point of view...

Mad Slanted Powers
01-18-2010, 09:52 PM
I don't know, something looks different about the front, and the canopy looks different. Hard to tell from just the one picture, but it doesn't look as flat as the T-47.

pbarnard
01-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Wait, thats not fair. Knight of the Old Republic for Xbox is cool.

Actually that's the problem. Up till that point, video games could contribute an idea, maybe a character, but not a whole era/time frame as "official". KotR opened the flood gates and now path independent stories (i.e. video games) now hold as much sway as a path dependent book, tv show, comic etc. Totally tore down the hierachy (movies 1st, books/DH next, video games as after thought) as well as the levels within books ("adult" novels held more weight than the scholastic ones, DH plot lines (not necesiarily art work) was next, than DH art work, finally DK books art).

Darth Metalmute
01-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Actually that's the problem. Up till that point, video games could contribute an idea, maybe a character, but not a whole era/time frame as "official". KotR opened the flood gates and now path independent stories (i.e. video games) now hold as much sway as a path dependent book, tv show, comic etc. Totally tore down the hierachy (movies 1st, books/DH next, video games as after thought) as well as the levels within books ("adult" novels held more weight than the scholastic ones, DH plot lines (not necesiarily art work) was next, than DH art work, finally DK books art).

If you think thats bad, play Elite Squadron for the DS. Force sensitive clones? ugh.

Darth Jax
01-19-2010, 07:15 PM
is it really any worse than the EU airspeeder kenner released?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2010, 07:32 PM
That wasn't EU; it was based on concept art, so of course it's going to look a bit like the final snowspeeder design.

pbarnard
01-19-2010, 08:04 PM

Yeah, but some people here can't handle the truth about Yarna or the Endor EU concept speeder.

Darth Jax
01-19-2010, 08:23 PM
JT's complaint is that it lacks originality and looks like a snowspeeder that someone stuck a fin on top of. It appeared only in comics. Kenner took an earlier sketch of a snowspeeder and made it into a vehicle and called it an EU airspeeder.

EU is full of ridiculous plots, characters and yes even vehicles. but how is taking the basic appearance of a snowspeeder, slightly modifying it any lazier or worse than how everything else suddenly needs to be shoehorned into the prequel era?

(the one vehicle that needed to appear in the prequel era - the Headhunter - hasn't, and now the clone wars are gonna make a retcon necessary to explain what happened to the Y-Wing and how it lost the gun turret)

pbarnard
01-19-2010, 08:40 PM
(the one vehicle that needed to appear in the prequel era - the Headhunter - hasn't, and now the clone wars are gonna make a retcon necessary to explain what happened to the Y-Wing and how it lost the gun turret)

Not really. In the X-Wing games it already existed as early as 1993 explaining that the Y-Wing was just a frame and the Rebel techs dumped the covering to make maintaining the aging ships easier.

JediTricks
01-20-2010, 03:13 AM
JT's complaint is that it lacks originality and looks like a snowspeeder that someone stuck a fin on top of. It appeared only in comics. Kenner took an earlier sketch of a snowspeeder and made it into a vehicle and called it an EU airspeeder.

EU is full of ridiculous plots, characters and yes even vehicles. but how is taking the basic appearance of a snowspeeder, slightly modifying it any lazier or worse than how everything else suddenly needs to be shoehorned into the prequel era? You don't see any X-wings in the prequels, not even a true Star Destroyer. Not one OT vehicle appears aside from "cute" cameos.

(the one vehicle that needed to appear in the prequel era - the Headhunter - hasn't, and now the clone wars are gonna make a retcon necessary to explain what happened to the Y-Wing and how it lost the gun turret)The CW Y-wing is an earlier model, and looks different for it, crossing the look of the "clean" Y-wing with a Delta Jedi Starfighter.

Slicker
01-20-2010, 04:52 PM
And if you wanna go real world with this does a B-2 bomber look anything like a B-17? They're only about 40-50 years apart in development but look absolutely 100% different.

pbarnard
01-21-2010, 11:09 AM
And if you wanna go real world with this does a B-2 bomber look anything like a B-17? They're only about 40-50 years apart in development but look absolutely 100% different.

Actually plane shape and engineering hasn't changed much, the stealth planes being the notable exception. To quote Airplane!, they're still pretty much a tylenol with wings. Commerical planes, military transport, etc still look like they did 30, even 40 years ago.

JediTricks
01-22-2010, 03:28 AM
Actually plane shape and engineering hasn't changed much, the stealth planes being the notable exception. To quote Airplane!, they're still pretty much a tylenol with wings. Commerical planes, military transport, etc still look like they did 30, even 40 years ago.
I'm calling foul on that. Compare a pre-WW2 airplane to an F-14 Tomcat (a now-retired, post-WW2 plane) that came out 30 years after that war, and there's almost no similarities. Even comparing the F-14 to the F-22 or F-35 shows great differences. And the only reason there are similarities now is because of the basics of aerodynamics, which the Star Wars universe is not remotely bound by.

And none of that excuses the T-24 here looking virtually identical to the T-47.

pbarnard
01-22-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm calling foul on that. Compare a pre-WW2 airplane to an F-14 Tomcat (a now-retired, post-WW2 plane) that came out 30 years after that war, and there's almost no similarities. Even comparing the F-14 to the F-22 or F-35 shows great differences. And the only reason there are similarities now is because of the basics of aerodynamics, which the Star Wars universe is not remotely bound by.

And none of that excuses the T-24 here looking virtually identical to the T-47.

You're talking about less than 1% of total planes (since there will only be 80 F22's made ever). The majority of planes are still small single engine 2-4 seaters that haven't changed in design in 40 some years. The next biggest segment are the comercial planes that airlines/FedEx/UPS use. It depends greatly on do you want to use the majority of craft or not? If yes, the answer is the designs really haven't changed that much, only materials and working parts have gotten better. If you want to site specific planes with limited production and roles the answer changes to the design has radically changed. However, why don't more planes use military designs? Quite simply, they lose the ability to carry cargo/passengers. Why are military transports and comercial planes virtually identical with regard to shape?

Even in this instance, the T-47 wasn't a military ship. It was retrofitted to carry guns by Rebel techs at Hoth (as well as radiator problems thus why they had problems adapting them to the cold). The primary job of the T-47 was a high speed atmospheric craft to scout/transport a couple of person for remote jobs, act in search and rescue spotting, or racing/hot rodding. If civilian design holds to the premise of it ain't broke don't fix it, there would be very little change over time.