PDA

View Full Version : I'm doing a Fan Event at CV, and I need your help!

_Jad_
01-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Hey everyone, I'm sure by now you all know that they are taking submissions for fan-produced events at Celebration V - check it out here. (http://www.starwarscelebration.com/en/Events/Fan-Events-Fan-Tables/)

I want to present a 1 hour panel discussing Galoob Micro Machines and Action Fleet, and as the author of starwarsmicromachines.wordpress.com (http://starwarsmicromachines.wordpress.com/), I think I'm qualified to pull this off. But, I could certainly use some help! I'd like you to tell me what YOU would want to see at this panel. Here is a rough outline and some concepts I'm playing around with.

- Brief introduction and timeline of toy releases, discuss Hasbro buying Galoob and how the toy lines changed.

- Discussion of rare, hard-to-find, and prototype items, and how to find them.

- Discussion of what to do with your toys - building dioramas, customizing, making movies, etc.

- I'm working with a terrifically talented artist out of San Francisco who is sculpting a Micro Machines scale Lobot figure! We're planning on casting resin copies, hopefully up to 80 figures (in honor of ESB's year of release). This would be a free giveaway at the panel. I may also make a pepakura-style diorama made from printed cardstock, which would recreate some envrionment from ESB for making a Micro Machines-scale or Action Fleet-scale diorama. Since this would just be printed cardstock, I could make many, many copies so that everyone could take something home.

- Here's my craziest idea, I'm not sure this would even work, but here goes. The last 10 minutes or so of the presentation would be dedicated to a rapid-fire, live recreation of the entire classic trilogy using my complete Micro Machines collection! I would have someone running a video camera while I perform all the action features with my figures and playsets. Meanwhile, another person would have a microphone and would prompt the audience for the dialogue, sound effects, and music. The movie would be projected on the screen in the presentation hall, and could also be recorded and posted to starwars.com. To my knowledge, nothing like this has ever been done at a Celebration panel, and I think it'd be a wonderfully fun way to end the presentation and celebrate Star Wars Micro Machines.

All of these ideas are still in the very early conceptual stages, that's why I'm looking for YOU to give me feedback and suggestions. If you have a large Action Fleet collection and are definitely going to CV, perhaps we could even team up!

JediTricks
01-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Sounds like a clever and fun idea. I don't know if I'm making it to CV yet, but I hope to be at your panel if I do.

I personally have a lot of connection to AF via the old Galoob Buzz Board where JKF used to give us a lot of feedback, I'd make mention of that.

I'd also suggest mentioning that some of Ralph McQuarrie's last Star Wars works were artworks for the Micro Machines/Action Fleet line.

I've always felt a little annoyed that SW collectors don't have more connection to the MM line, as it was the first real foray back into SW toy collecting for over a year before the Hasbro figure line came back. But that might be preaching to the crowd.

There's probably a mountain of minutiae I could suggest, such as the Special Editions mini-Micro 3pack theater giveaway, but you probably know all that stuff. Anyway, good luck to ya.

_Jad_
01-19-2010, 06:20 AM
Thanks, JediTricks, for the kind words and encouragement! Good point about the original McQuarrie artwork on the Action Fleet playsets. That artwork was offered as limited edition prints for a short time -wish I had picked those up. I can also mention that they used McQuarrie's early concept painting of snowspeeders inside the Hoth hangar bay on a sticker inside the Luke Pilot Transforming Playset.

Help my flailing memory - I recall hearing the initials JKF back in the Action Fleet heyday, but can't quite remember who that is. Is there a way to contact this person today?

JediTricks
01-20-2010, 02:22 AM
Jim K Fong, head designer for the line. He left a nice inscription inside the mold for the single-pack AF Millennium Falcon. I don't know where JKF is anymore, I believe he moved to Rhode Island when Hasbro closed their satellite design facilities, but I don't think he got to stay with the line.

_Jad_
01-20-2010, 04:37 AM
Oh duh, of course! I didn't realize his middle initial was K. I actually am in email contact with Jim Fong, he didn't know about CV but I'm going to plant the suggestion that he come along - we'll see what he says!

Darth Duranium
01-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Are you going to include Titanium and Titanium Ultra in your panel, Jad? Seeing as how long it's been since the venerated AF was on store shelves, it might attract more attention from younger collectors.

Besides, Titanium was the bastard son of AF... the usurper of the crown. Actually, I love all those lines... all have their good points.

I don't go to conventions... but if I did, I'd be stoked to attend your panel. Good luck! Nice to know someone cares!

Great idea: showing pics of the "lost" AFs and prototypes/ test shots. If you find anything interesting that we haven't seen before, please post some pics over here. Always interested!

Wow... having Jim Fong speak at your panel would be a coup!

clone157
01-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Since some of us can't afford to go, could you share your presentation with us afterwards? I would love to see it, sometime.

_Jad_
06-14-2010, 06:23 AM
Hey everyone,

Haven't been here in awhile, but thought I would give you all the news. My Fan Event presentation was rejected, so I put in a proposal with Gus Lopez's Collector Track presentations, but that was also shot down.

There will be more great Micro Machines stuff coming on my websit, but it won't be premiering at CV. Depending on if you were going to CV or not, maybe that's a good thing!

Jad

JediTricks
06-14-2010, 02:00 PM
That's too bad. I guess I'm not surprised about getting shot down from Gus Lopez, I actually went up to Gus at his CIV panel to talk Action Fleet and he pretty much didn't care about the Galoob lines.

Darth Duranium
06-14-2010, 04:28 PM
I wasn't gonna be at CV so I'm glad we'll see your stuff on the site.

Still, it's a shame that you've been shot down. It would've been cool! Good on you for trying!

cloneemperor
06-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Sorry to hear about that Jad, better luck with your other plans.

_Jad_
06-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks, everyone. This ain't the end, just a bump in the road!