PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy The Imperial Probot Pod And Droid From ESB?

Tycho
01-19-2010, 12:53 PM
I am continuing my 3 3/4" vehicle thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case the Imperial Probot Pod And Droid From ESB).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy The Imperial Probot Pod And Droid From ESB?

In the beginning of The Empire Strikes Back, the probe droid is launched from the star destroyer on its mission to Hoth in an almost escape-pod looking vehicle that subsequently crash lands on Hoth to deliver the probot droid.

The vehicle would come with a new Imperial Probe Droid that fits in the vehicle. I can see Hasbro selling this at the $ starfighter $ pricepoint just to see it make a profit for them. Of course I'd like it to come at a deluxe vehicle price.

Do you want this made?

How do you think it would sell if produced, at each price point ($15 or $24)?

Do you want to see support for this demonstrated by inclusion in The Clone Wars Annimated Series?

bigbarada
01-19-2010, 01:02 PM
I'd buy it, but only if Hasbro really pulled out all the stops with the Probe Droid figure.

Full-articulation on all the limbs, retractable antenna, clear stand so you're not resting the entire weight of the figure on the tiny arms, transparent-red plastic "eyes" with sculpted details behind them.... stuff like that.

pbarnard
01-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Drop the pod, go with what BigB says. Might need to add a clear rod/stand like the Ep I STAP's to get it upright, and keep it at the lower price point. Higher price point just means a rehashed unmodified pack in with another battle pack.

mtriv73
01-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Keep the pod and go with what BibB says. I'd buy it in a second even as a $30 exclusive. NO FIRING MISSLE FEATURES, THOUGH. I think it would sell well. Escpecially if Han and Chewie hoth were re-released in the legends line at the same time.

Edit: as for the clone wars part of the question, I don't think they should shoehorn anything into the animated series JUST to sell toys. Even if it's the difference in something getting made or not, it just seems sleazy.

pbarnard
01-19-2010, 03:19 PM
And no, I don't want this force fed (pun intended) into the Clone Wars. The Clone Wars toon has already run roughshod over the continuity. The Akryd Viper Probe Droid was an Imperial design and construction project.

Snowtrooper
01-19-2010, 03:53 PM
What BigBarada said.

LTBasker
01-19-2010, 04:15 PM
I think I would go for a package such as that if the Probe Droid's pod wasn't just some shell that annoyingly raised the price. Although, $15 seems like it would be best, for an all new Probe Droid (as BigB described) and pod I'd pay $20 max for it. Any higher than that and it will need an added incentive or I'll skip it.

The Akryd Viper Probe Droid was an Imperial design and construction project.

Akryd... Aykroyd? :eek:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2010, 04:53 PM
And no, I don't want this force fed (pun intended) into the Clone Wars. The Clone Wars toon has already run roughshod over the continuity. The Akryd Viper Probe Droid was an Imperial design and construction project.
There's a similar droid that has appeared in the show a few times. I hope this doesn't make you cry.

Anyway, I actually like the original version, especially the repaint from the Hoth Recon battle pack from 2008. I'd buy a new one, but as I already have three of the older mold, I don't really care.

Darth Jax
01-19-2010, 06:00 PM

depends on who you ask. IG-88 will tell you he designed and constructed it.

i don't think they could make a newly sculpted probe droid that would convince me to spend $20 on it, but i'd have to see it first. it would definitely need to have a clear stand to support it. i have absolutely no use for the encasing pod.

Tycho
01-19-2010, 07:06 PM
LOL Basker. Does your Akroyd Probot also come with Ghostbuster gear?

That would be great to set up fighting Slimer!

Old Fossil
01-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Anyway, I actually like the original version, especially the repaint from the Hoth Recon battle pack from 2008. I'd buy a new one, but as I already have three of the older mold, I don't really care.

Ditto here. The Battle Pack version was stellar. Great paint job improved on an already fantastic figure. I don't need another Probe Droid, unless it featured alarm sound effects, and those cute Probot growls.:lipsrsealed:

morpheus282
01-19-2010, 08:17 PM
I'd buy it, but only if Hasbro really pulled out all the stops with the Probe Droid figure.

Full-articulation on all the limbs, retractable antenna, clear stand so you're not resting the entire weight of the figure on the tiny arms, transparent-red plastic "eyes" with sculpted details behind them.... stuff like that.

I'll second that. The pod would be gravy on a toy like this, if they included it then it's all well and good but a probe droid like that would be excellent. A rehash of the existing one with a pod - I'll pass.

RoonStones
01-19-2010, 09:01 PM

-- Ditto on all of the above.

DarkJedi5
01-19-2010, 11:02 PM
I would certainly buy a new probe droid with the droid pod. The pod only has to be big enough to accommodate the droid and the whole thing would probably only be a little larger than the old deluxe escape pod. The suggestions people have made for the droid are all almost necessary improvements and I think the best way to deliver something like this is as a battle pack. While there's probably no way hasbro could put this much tooling into a single battle pack but I'd love to see it with Hoth Luke and a new tauntaun.

JediTricks
01-20-2010, 02:00 AM
I would buy this at $16, but no more unless it had a lot more stuff with it. Chalk that as a "yes".

Looking at stuff like the Tri-Droid and FX-6, there is no reason they cannot deliver an Imperial Probe Droid of modern quality at a reasonable pricepoint. The only reason it won't work as a basic is the card is too small. But even with a removable pod the way Galoob did it (ok, not see thru), it should still be quite a bit smaller than any $20 set. On the other hand, if Hasbro were to get sneaky and include a second vehicle in the set, such as the Laser Ice Cutter, or the Hoth Troop Carrier, they could pull it off.

Tycho
01-20-2010, 03:55 AM
I'm going to have to poll for that Laser Ice Cutter when we come around to Empire Strikes Back again.

As far as the Probot and its delivery pod, I'm voting yes.

The pod vehicle it lands in is the best thing to update this set. I think it has to be included. Plus it's another step towards getting everything that was on screen.

However, you guys can vote how you want - with or without.

I've decided I'll tally the scores twice:

1) if the probot is a winner and in-demand in the first place
2) how many want it with and without the delivery pod it lands on Hoth in

DarkArtist
01-20-2010, 11:19 AM
i'd be all for an SA Probe Droid with pod and clear stand for display. would love it even more if it had electronics to make the probot sounds of flight, and the transmission sounds.:thumbsup:

Devo
01-20-2010, 03:54 PM
A YES from me. Anything from ESB really.

Darth Metalmute
01-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Yes, but only if the probot resembles Joe.

Darkross
01-21-2010, 09:09 PM
I am silently hoping that this gets released this year! I know we had the Hoth Recon kit last year...but I already had 3 of the 4 figures already from the pack...and all I was after was the Probe Droid and the R5 unit. $30.00 was too steep a price. I would welcome a new "LARGER" sculpt of the probe droid though!

Tycho
02-17-2010, 08:50 PM
The Probot with its Delivery Pod won by a smashing 16-0 victory!

Within those votes, 3 people want the droid without the Delivery Pod it launched from the Star Destroyer in.

So the 13 in the majority have it WITH A DELIVERY POD!

Nice. Yes this would make a nice touch to the ESB's anniversary collection!

TheDarthVader
02-17-2010, 11:02 PM
add mine in too! I did not vote yet. I would definitely buy a NEW AND UPDATED probot with delivery pod. The pod is a must! :D