PDA

View Full Version : New Pics: I like that the podracers and Mos Espa have gotten attention over the years

Tycho
01-21-2010, 02:58 PM
I've been able to make some nice set-ups in Curio cabinets for smaller scenes. I was at my storage units, but unfortunately without my camera. So I used my cell phone to shoot these pics. Sorry about the quality difference. I wasn't planning on taking photos but spontaneously decided upon it.

Anyway, I've used all the podracers:

Anakin
Sebulba
Gasgano
Ody Mandrell
Teemto Pagales
Dud Bolt
Mars Guo
Clegg Holdfast

and am awaiting the release of Ratts Tyrell. That would be 9 / 18.

Because the podrace is newer, it is not as iconic as the original collection of aliens, as seen in the cantina or Jabba's, but it could play out that way over the years as time passes and other Star Wars fan generations look back at the movies.

Anyway, added to the street scene where JarJar narrowly excapes a fight are:

Quinlan Vos
Rum Sleg
Gragga
Jawa (because it's Tatooine).

I can't fit any more figures in there, so I think I'm done, though I'd buy other podracers for other scenes - like the racer hanger. I also add figures like Bane Malor and Hrchek Kal Fas to wider Mos Espa environments.

But here's some pics, appreciating what they've done already.

Darth Metalmute
01-21-2010, 04:35 PM
That shelf makes those figures look huge. At first I was wondering how I missed out on that line.

Tycho
01-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Missed out on which line? The Curio cabinets or TPM figures (mixed in with POTJ, Saga, TAC, and Legacy, plus Comic 2-pack)?

I bought all my Curio cabinets at Wal-Mart. They used to have them during the Christmas season. I got these years ago.

I got the tan ones you see here, plus:

2 more for AOTC Tatooine
2 more for Geonosis Tatooine

And a different year they carried a cherry-wood from which I bought

1 for TPM Trade Federation Ship
2 for TPM Theed Power Generator Duel
1 for OT Star Wars EU (Dagobah, Yavin Jedi Academy, Wayland etc)

And even another year I bought a different tanned oak:

2 for TPM Theed

Most of my OT scenes are much larger and I didn't "storyboard them" like a comic book, as was done here with a lot of the prequel scenes.

When the PT began, I went nuts, all excited to have brand-new Star Wars scenes to recreate. They take something on the order of 30 appearances by Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, and almost as many by Anakin (for TPM). Then for the next two PT movies, Anakin's in there a lot, along with Obi-Wan of course.

I really need to find and buy a few more of this style of Curio cabinet for ROTS scenes. As I'm organizing everything in storage now, I'll find out how many.

I may eventually add backgrounds to these scenes, cut to fit the shelf space in each Curio, but it's not going to happen for years (my guess). I'm much more interested in making the larger scenes with more vehicles and huge armies (or the cantina bar, Jabba's Palace, Battle of Geonosis, etc.).

Anyway, here are all 3 Tatooine cases representing TPM outside my storage (which is getting organized bit-by-bit until it's perfect-o!)

Then I added some close-ups of the scenes as they're story-boarded through the cases.

Tycho
01-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Here are the last several images from the TPM Tatooine Curios.

I have to check if Walmart.com sells these Curio cabinets out-of-season.

Like I said, I may need a few more for ROTS, OT Star Wars, and the EU.

Darth Metalmute
01-21-2010, 09:12 PM
No it was just that in those shelves, the figures looked bigger than the 3.5" line.

Thats a great idea for those shelves though. Looks good how you have it set up.

JediTricks
01-22-2010, 04:13 AM
The pic of Anakin walking away from the Sith Speeder looking over his shoulder is too funny, looks like the kid worrying about a neighborhood prowler on his way home from school. Perhaps crossing-guard Qui-Gon will help him.

Your pics of the podracers in use highlights one of my big reasons to dislike those figures so much: what are we supposed to do with these figures? No way they're making their pods, so they're just supposed to stand around and watch Sebulba bicker with Anakin and Jar Jar? They don't even look like denizens, they look out of place everywhere. They look even more like affectations than they did in the film.

Tycho
01-22-2010, 04:29 AM
I suppose I could get more articulation out of an Anakin by switching that '99 figure of him with a '00 figure of Anakin from POTJ (with that pit droid).

I'm pretty sure that while having to amass something like 30 kid-Anakin figures for all my scenes with him at that age, I split the quantities I bought up between the first-issue, pilot, and Watto's shop versions.

I learned in 1998 not to buy too many of any particular figure - even one like Chewbacca who doesn't change his costume. Hasbro inevitably updates their figures and makes variations I might find useful.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think that using a clear-stand and the POTJ kid-Anakin figure (with bending knees) will make him look like he's running away from Darth Maul.

The Sith Speeder would have been cooler had it included a clear-stand which held it in flight, for which you could adjust the angle it was displayed at.

I like the podracers since they create such a variety of wild, zany, different characters. Teemto even has a little tail!

I DO want them to make the pods (with action features that recreate scenes in the movie - like firing pitdroid that ejects out the back of an Ody Mandrell podracer). They should have gone for this way back when the podracer video game was the "in-thing." They could test how one new one sells, but since it's been over 10 years since Anakin's or Sebulba's were marketed, that's the smarter place to start to cut costs and begin from nearly pure-profit. Then Teemto's or Mar's would be best, since they "explode," though Dud Bolt's racer is cooler-looking in my opinion.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-22-2010, 02:32 PM
The pic of Anakin walking away from the Sith Speeder looking over his shoulder is too funny, looks like the kid worrying about a neighborhood prowler on his way home from school. Perhaps crossing-guard Qui-Gon will help him.

Your pics of the podracers in use highlights one of my big reasons to dislike those figures so much: what are we supposed to do with these figures? No way they're making their pods, so they're just supposed to stand around and watch Sebulba bicker with Anakin and Jar Jar? They don't even look like denizens, they look out of place everywhere. They look even more like affectations than they did in the film.
I have my pod racers in a sort of pre-race diorama with all the numerous pit droids and crates released in 2007. I think it conveys the hustle and bustle of the scene pretty well.