PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Cape Jawa Question

roberr22
01-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Can anyone tell me if the vintage VC Jawa figure itself is the same as a basic vintage cloth cloaked Jawa figure? Thanks!

bigbarada
01-22-2010, 04:16 PM
As far as I know the figure itself is unchanged. The only non-cape variations are the big eyes and small eyes version, which is just how the eye dots are painted, but I don't think it's actually a change in the molding. I think the larger eye variants are the later release (ROTJ, POTF) versions.

So if you see a vinyl cape Jawa with the large eye dots, then I would guess it to be a forgery; but I could be wrong.

There are also variants in the cloth capes themselves. The early ones fit very loosely and the later ROTJ and POTF Jawas have tighter fitting capes that are made of a softer material.

roberr22
01-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Many thanks, bigbarada!

LusiferSam
01-22-2010, 09:30 PM
The only non-cape variations are the big eyes and small eyes version, which is just how the eye dots are painted, but I don't think it's actually a change in the molding. I think the larger eye variants are the later release (ROTJ, POTF) versions.

I'll darn. I never noticed that one before. But just checked my Jawas and my cape caped Jawa (which came off an ROTJ card) does have bigger eyes than than the vinyl cape one. I'm incline to say it's a minor variation, but than again I was never terrible worried about variations.

roberr22
01-22-2010, 09:47 PM
I just received a VC Jawa and, for grading purposes, I'm toying with the idea of removing the cape and placing it on a better quality figure. I want to make sure that I don't place it on a Jawa variant that doesn't wear the vinyl cape (like the Jawas with the larger eyes).

Bel-Cam Jos
01-23-2010, 09:30 AM
I don't know if the stamped Lucasfilm and year would be different as well. Possibly.

LusiferSam
01-23-2010, 05:54 PM
I don't know if the stamped Lucasfilm and year would be different as well. Possibly.
I doubt it. The stamp and year didn't change for any of the R2s. I can't imagine Kenner changing is for just a minor change like the cape.

I just received a VC Jawa and, for grading purposes, I'm toying with the idea of removing the cape and placing it on a better quality figure.

I think that's a really bad idea. That's how vinyl capes get stretched and torn. It doesn't matter how careful you are, it still happens. Besides any time the accessory and figure don't match in terms of quality it sends up a red flag for me.

roberr22
01-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks! That's good to know. So, as I undertand it, the only variation on the figure itself are the large eyes on ROTJ and POTF Jawas, correct?

Lord Malakite
01-23-2010, 10:06 PM
I just received a VC Jawa and, for grading purposes, I'm toying with the idea of removing the cape and placing it on a better quality figure. I want to make sure that I don't place it on a Jawa variant that doesn't wear the vinyl cape (like the Jawas with the larger eyes).
For grading purposes, if your figure is "loose" (not packaged) as it sounds to be, you might also want to make certain your VC Jawa is indeed a legit "VC Jawa" and not a fake. I'm not a vintage collecter (so I'm certain others here are more knowledgeable than I on the subject), but from my understanding VC Jawas are easily faked, usually by trimming an Obi-Wan figure's cape to fit a Jawa if I'm not mistaken.

roberr22
01-23-2010, 11:16 PM
I'm pretty sure it's legit. The color and fit are dead on and it has the cross-hatch pattern.

indyjones1981
01-24-2010, 01:58 AM
I'm pretty sure it's legit. The color and fit are dead on and it has the cross-hatch pattern.

Love jawas one of my favorite characters to collect can you post a pic of the jawa in his vc? Thanks. How did you acquire it? Trade/ebay found it buried in your old vintage star wars action figure collector's case, Star Wars version of course.

LusiferSam
01-24-2010, 12:15 PM
For grading purposes, if your figure is "loose" (not packaged) as it sounds to be, you might also want to make certain your VC Jawa is indeed a legit "VC Jawa" and not a fake. I'm not a vintage collecter (so I'm certain others here are more knowledgeable than I on the subject), but from my understanding VC Jawas are easily faked, usually by trimming an Obi-Wan figure's cape to fit a Jawa if I'm not mistaken.

Are VC Jawas "easily faked?" No. Commonly faked? Yes. To make a convincing fake takes a lot of work and a lot of knowledge of the details. A trimmed down Obi-Wan cape is the wrong color, is the wrong shape, has the wrong sized arm holes and the wrong fit. More convincing fakes are die cut from a large sheet of vinyl, like these set of capes (http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Star-Wars-Replacement-Vinyl-Cape-Set-of-9_W0QQitemZ220526942041QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defau ltDomain_0?hash=item33586e1759). The color and shape are normally right, but the cross hatching maybe missing. Also the size is sometimes wrong because the fakers pattern for the die is made from an original and the die end up a hair too small. The fit is rarely right. 5 or even 10 year vinyl won't fit like 30 year vinyl.

The color and fit are dead on and it has the cross-hatch pattern.

While color and cross hatching are important they are hardly the trump characteristics of an original vinyl cape (Jawa or non Jawa). If this figure has been wearing this cape for most of the past 30 years it should be well molded to the figure. New vinyl (which can have cross hatching) is going to be stiffer and not as form well to the figure. Where as an original cape will fit like a glove.

bigbarada
01-27-2010, 01:39 PM
This site has a pretty good breakdown of the Jawa variations. I'm not sure if it's a complete list, but it is amazing just how many variants there really are.
http://www.landoslocker.com/range_starwars/jawa.shtml

This is not even counting the coin variation with the POTF Jawas. The more common coin has the Star Wars logo on the backside and the rarer coin has the Power of the Force logo.

I recently got a Jawa off of Ebay with the small-eyes, rough fabric, dark brown stitching and a Hong Kong COO. However, the figure came with the POTF coin (SW logo version). So I'm wondering if some of the POTF versions had small eyes or if I just got a mismatched loose figure with the coin (which I think is more likely).

roberr22
01-27-2010, 02:36 PM
This site has a pretty good breakdown of the Jawa variations. I'm not sure if it's a complete list, but it is amazing just how many variants there really are.
http://www.landoslocker.com/range_starwars/jawa.shtml

This is not even counting the coin variation with the POTF Jawas. The more common coin has the Star Wars logo on the backside and the rarer coin has the Power of the Force logo.

I recently got a Jawa off of Ebay with the small-eyes, rough fabric, dark brown stitching and a Hong Kong COO. However, the figure came with the POTF coin (SW logo version). So I'm wondering if some of the POTF versions had small eyes or if I just got a mismatched loose figure with the coin (which I think is more likely).

Great site! I find photo #11 Jawa - Comparison Shot - Eye Variations interesting. It appears there are two VC Jawas pictured -- one has small eyes and the other has "regular" eyes. I guess the one with small eyes is the repro caped Jawa in photo #3 and the one with "regular" eyes is the authentic VC Jawa in photo #2. Thus, it may be safe to assume that an authentic VC Jawa has the "regular", larger eyes only.

indyjones1981
02-13-2010, 07:49 PM
LusiferSam did you see this? I posted the link below. Went for $5,027!!

Also was another vc jawa that ended earlier today. Last I saw late last night it was over $3,800 and was in better shape than this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200436764493&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200436764493&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

LusiferSam
02-14-2010, 11:39 PM
I can't say a I follow carded figures, so no I hadn't seen either of these. But it just goes to show my point about price. The true price of any item is what you're will to pay for it. I know a little bit about carded vinyl cape Jawas and those aren't the shots of the card I would want before drop over $5k for one, even if the seller had 100% feedback.

LordGanja
02-15-2010, 01:54 AM
check out this link for VCJ questions dude.

http://web.ncf.ca/cn333/vcjawa.htm

large eyes aren't sign of fake, small far-set eyes are.

DarthQuack
02-15-2010, 01:14 PM
check out this link for VCJ questions dude.

http://web.ncf.ca/cn333/vcjawa.htm

large eyes aren't sign of fake, small far-set eyes are.

6 posts in 9/10 years??? That's crazy!

LordGanja
02-15-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm a vintage collector and this isn't the place for vintage.

LusiferSam
02-15-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm a vintage collector and this isn't the place for vintage.

Very, very true.

Interesting web site. That side view of the bubble is what I was talking about. It's an important detail.

I'm a little bothered by my VC Jawa now. It has small eyes. But all the details on the cape are right. One side is smooth and textured. The two side sound like the WAV files on the site. The color, material, and fit all correct as well. The arm holes are a little hard to judge as their are a little stretched and ripped from having the cape removed, but look very close to being right. If it's a fake, it's a very good fake. It might be someone took a real VC off the right figure to have a higher grade VC Jawa. I'm still bothered by it.:upset:

bigbarada
02-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Very, very true.

Interesting web site. That side view of the bubble is what I was talking about. It's an important detail.

I'm a little bothered by my VC Jawa now. It has small eyes. But all the details on the cape are right. One side is smooth and textured. The two side sound like the WAV files on the site. The color, material, and fit all correct as well. The arm holes are a little hard to judge as their are a little stretched and ripped from having the cape removed, but look very close to being right. If it's a fake, it's a very good fake. It might be someone took a real VC off the right figure to have a higher grade VC Jawa. I'm still bothered by it.:upset:

I wonder if that large eyes/small eyes thing only applies to Jawas on Star Wars 12-back cards. Every Jawa I've ever seen on ROTJ or POTF cards have had the large eyes. They have the tight fitting cloth capes, but I'm wondering if Kenner went from large to small then back to large again as time passed.

LordGanja
02-16-2010, 12:04 AM
Very, very true.

Very possible you have a legit vinyl cape with a later release jawa figure. Most VCJ's don't have great paint apps on the hands and even factory fresh VCJ's didn't have 100% coverage of black on their hands. Some dude probably had a beater figure with a nice cape and thought noone would notice. I'm no expert, but I sent a link of yours to another collector who has seen dozens of them for some advice. I'll let you know what he says. Also, which blaster came with your VCJ? There's an early jawa blaster that differs from later cloth cape jawa's.

Either way, I'm sure you're enjoying displaying it and that's what matters, but I would be a little ****ed if I had been deceived.

roberr22
02-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Very possible you have a legit vinyl cape with a later release jawa figure. Most VCJ's don't have great paint apps on the hands and even factory fresh VCJ's didn't have 100% coverage of black on their hands. Some dude probably had a beater figure with a nice cape and thought noone would notice. I'm no expert, but I sent a link of yours to another collector who has seen dozens of them for some advice. I'll let you know what he says. Also, which blaster came with your VCJ? There's an early jawa blaster that differs from later cloth cape jawa's.

Either way, I'm sure you're enjoying displaying it and that's what matters, but I would be a little ****ed if I had been deceived.

Thanks for the great site, LordGanja. Before reading the replies to this thread, in order to receive a better grade, I was considering placing the cape on a better quality Jawa, so I can see how that could occur. I've since sent in the original figure for grading, so as not to disturb the cape and to make sure that the figure itself is absolutely original. Obviously, LuciferSam, if the cape is legit, then there is no problem. You could always carefully remove the cape and place it on another Jawa figure.

LusiferSam
02-16-2010, 12:49 PM

Thanks. I can't say I really bought it to display, maybe to show off is more accurate. If I did get scammed (knowingly or unknowingly) I'm ticked off. If I didn't care about repros I would have saved a lot of money and just bought a repro.

If someone did switch out cape they may not have known. I was totally unaware of the eye sizes and just assumed it was one of those minor spray opp variations. But it's like the DT Lukes. Real DT Lukes have a unique leg and hair color. You can't just such switch out the saber. I don't think most collects are truly aware of that.

The blaster is smooth and a has no nob. I'd say the color is blue/black. I've seen blue Jawa blasters and this doesn't like blue to me.

The hands look fine. There's some minor paint wear on the right hand between the thumb and forefinger (from the blaster) and the bottom edge for the hand. The left hand has some paint wear on the tips of the thumb and fingers. There's some over spray on the left hand and the face.

LordGanja
02-16-2010, 06:40 PM
This is what my VCJ expert responded...

it's not the typical vcj fig - but as the mold looks correct from what I can see it could be possible that the eyes were smaller to some figures though. Production processes could have been changed for a short time or differ if not produced in the same facrory maybe. The early First Shot figure of the vcj also has small eyes - a later one big eyes. Anyway the big eyes one is def. the correct production fig for the vc.

So, who knows????!!!!

I would say if you could find a carded example of a VCJ that has small eyes, then you would know you have a rarer version of the VCJ, if not, you might have to upgrade some day. Either way, you have a nice looking figure that is vintage with correct mold and nice cape.

andy

LusiferSam
02-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks. I really do appreciate it. I think for now I'll assume the cape is legit and somebody swapped it off a lower grade figure. As I've said before all the details on the cape are correct. If is a fake it's one heck of a good fake. I doubt I will try and find the right to put the cape. I don't like taking vinyl capes off because of the damage that happens. Beside like LordGanja said, as a display piece it looks good.