PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy The Skipray Blastboat From HTTE?

Tycho
01-25-2010, 11:00 AM
I am continuing my thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case The Skipray Blastboat From HTTE?).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe.

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy The Skipray Blastboat From HTTE?

This ship (pictures below) could be made (inaccurately) for the $24 starfighter assortment which has successfully sold EU vehicles.

The blastboat really need only fit Luke and Mara in the cockpit, and possibly R2-D2 along with them.

This vehicle debuted in 1991's Heir To The Empire novel, and was part of the resurgence of Star Wars.

The design of the toy's features might be simple: the rear engines should rotate around the ship from landing to vertical flight mode. A firing missile on either side should suffice, and the cockpit can seat one figure in front of the other, like the Republic Gunship.

The Empire began using these things at some point during The Dark Times I take it. I think it saw use by the stormtroopers replacing the gunships because it offered more armored protection and maneuverability.

So do you want The Skipray Blastboat From HTTE made?

What other features would you want on it?

Why would you NOT want it?

What price range is fair, and what is predictable for this to be retailed for?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

Should they use this vehicle in Clone Wars?

Post your thoughts.

bigbarada
01-25-2010, 11:46 AM
No, like 99% of the EU-exclusive vehicle designs, it looks like it was designed by an artist of average talent, who thinks that he understands the "formula" behind successful Star Wars vehicle designs; but is just too rushed by deadlines to ever truly develop his ideas.

pbarnard
01-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Yes. This can be undersized (since everything else is, but in reality is about BMF size) but that would afford it into the "normal" 20-30 vehcile range. The biggest feature is the tail fin should turn up for flight, down for landing. It should be a SIDE HATCH access, not cockpit. Since this is an Imperial ship which stopped using it to save costs given the design was to take down capital ships that has fallen on into the black market, it should be fully loaded with torpedos (so yes, spring launched weapons are a go/appropriate here), the turbo laser turrent should be able to rotate, and it could seat as many as 2 figures given the contstraints.

I thought it initially appeared in the Imperial Source Book (but I forgot if that's 89 or 90). Most early EU (up till about 95) first appeared in WEG material before making it to the novels.

Snowtrooper
01-25-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm normally not into EU vehicles much, but I kinda like the look of it. I'd definitely buy it if they gave it the weathered paint job like in the first pic.

DarkJedi5
01-25-2010, 12:28 PM
No interest. Can't think of too many EU ships I'd be interested in but this isn't one.

JediTricks
01-25-2010, 05:54 PM
I'll vote a very cooked-noodled "yes", based solely on the source material. In the book, the Skipray Blastboat seems exciting because it's whatever your imagination can fit into the extremely vague explanation on the page, and for that alone I'd be in.

The problem is that it's an incredibly uninspiring design. It's a snore, and a very un-Star Warsy one at that. A lot of the EU vehicles from the '90s are like this, they're generic designs from an era of bland fantasy spaceship design stemming from the video game- and RPG-malaise period of popular sci-fi. There's no inspiration to it. It looks like a space camper, and not even a kitschy one at that.

BTW, it's a "Skipray Blastboat", not sure if you want me to fix the title and text.

EDIT: upon seeing the comics and RPG version, I'd be a little more interested to get that:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Skipray_blastboat_landing_config.jpg
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Skipray.jpg
It's just a little more bulbous and Star Warsy, less of a bullet bus shape that the Essential Guide and Empire at War game version was.

TheDarthVader
01-25-2010, 06:01 PM
No interest from me either. I would not purchase this craft.

Darth Jax
01-25-2010, 07:07 PM
i'd possibly buy it. since it's EU, scale isn't much of an issue for me. able to hold a single pilot and have space to stash an astromech under the turret would be enough. needs to have rotating turret (and probably launching missiles to enhance play value). would be nice to be able to place a figure, somehow, to man the turret.

something about the design screams original BSG (although i never watched the show).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Eh, hard to get excited about this junk, so no.

The Space Outlaw
01-25-2010, 07:59 PM
I'll be honest; if it was made in the $65 range and it was done right with attention paid to scale and details I would seriously consider buying it. At the $20-$30 price point too many compromises would have to be made to maintain my interest.

Phantom-like Menace
01-26-2010, 12:52 AM
I would buy this for certain.

I'm a big fan of the Blastboat, and I'd love to get one for my figures. I'll agree with the above, though, that I'd prefer a little bit more than a Jedi-starfighter price point can bring us. Though what they're doing at the new Y-wing/Republic Gunship pricepoint is pretty underwhelming when I can spend only thirty dollars more and get an AT-TE that I'd actually feel good about getting . . . even if it's my third one . . . and the fourth one I bought.

If they wanted to do it at the price point of the Jedi starfighter, I'd get it, but it wouldn't be a Blasboat in my mind, just a similarly designed fighter.

bigbarada
01-26-2010, 09:06 AM
Seriously this thing looks like a Kenner mini-rig design that just totally got out of control. lol

Anyways, if the biggest EU fan on this forum can't even get the name right, then that doesn't fill me with much confidence that the average Star Wars fan will have any idea what the heck this thing is.

Tycho
01-26-2010, 12:27 PM
OK, JT, you can change the title to skipray.

I always read it "ski spray" for whatever reason. I guess there wasn't enough skiing in Star Wars.

Why didn't they do something like tie a rickshaw to a bunch of TaunTauns on Hoth and have sled races or something?

El Chuxter
01-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Why didn't they do something like tie a rickshaw to a bunch of TaunTauns on Hoth and have sled races or something?

Now THAT I'd buy in a heartbeat, even if it was the "Yarna races the Neimoidian Warrior in the great Tauntaun race while Malakili and his twin brother watch" Battlepack. Tauntaun rickshaws might be the coolest idea ever. Instead, we get tripe like Sith Lord Jacen Solo.

The Skipray Blastboat, not so much. It's a decent ship in the book, but a boring design.

Darth Jax
01-26-2010, 08:00 PM
OK, JT, you can change the title to skipray.

I always read it "ski spray" for whatever reason. I guess there wasn't enough skiing in Star Wars.

Han and Kyp ski down the glacier on coruscant.

Tycho
03-01-2010, 01:28 PM
The Skipray Blastboat is the very first EU vehicle to win a poll!

Not by much, it was a 7-5 victory in favor of making this ship for Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade to fly in the $24 price range.

That's cool though. I'd really buy 1-2 of these. I'd hope it would have room for R2-D2 aboard, too - then it would be perfect.

Bigger and capable of carrying a 4-man Imperial fire team, too? Well my Clone Commandos might see some use of one as well. (I have no idea if Clones ever used Skiprays though - these are Imperial, post-Republic crafts so far as I know.)

The new EU vehicle poll will be in the new Vintage category.

Darth Metalmute
03-01-2010, 02:07 PM
I'll say no to this one. It just doesn't excite me.

DarkArtist
03-04-2010, 02:03 PM
hard to say really... I'd have to vote maybe on this one since i woould want to see what Hasbro would do with the design and if it would be worth the money to shell out.