PDA

View Full Version : How about a better Sith Infiltrator and other Sith vessels?

The Space Outlaw
01-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Okay, since there's a ton of "Would You Buy" threads I decided to start one to discuss one of my favorite prequel ships (and greatest toy disappointments)--Darth Maul's Sith Infiltrator.

I was greatly annoyed by Hasbro/Lucasfilm's marketing failure in not making this ship when TPM was released. Yeah, I know it didn't do much, but it was a bloody cool design. When the Incredible Cross-Sections book was published and we got a look at all the stuff inside it, my love for it grew--so much so that the second I saw one at Target I snatched it up immediately--and then, in the throes of disappointment, I almost promptly took it back.

It was so small. It only held one figure. The landing gear aren't even retractable, and the "splitting nose/revealing more weapons" feature--don't even get me started.

So, now that Hasbro is dabbling in bigger ships at bigger price points like the CW Y-Wing, is there anyone besides me who would buy a new, re-designed Infiltrator in a larger scale?

I'm talking the ability to hold a couple more figures at least, in a halfway-accurate cockpit with a properly-situated boarding ramp (maybe with a removable top to the cockpit to access the interior). Plus, it would have to have space in the forward "dirty tricks cargo bay" for the Razorfin, some spy-eye Droids, and maybe a few extra accessories for Maul to mess around with. Oh yeah, and retractable landing legs (thanks for nothing Hasbro!), plus the normal wing action.

I think this could be pulled together in a good size that's just right for flying around the room, and come in at around the $65 price point.

The question is, would anybody (besides me) buy it?

As for other Sith ships, I'm working on some ideas--like the Rogue Shadow.

DarkJedi5
01-25-2010, 08:42 PM
IIRC, Hasbro has no confidence in the larger starfighter line. The ARC-170 just about killed it before it could get off the ground. If that line does continue, I think the Sith Infiltrator is one ship I would buy in that scale. I don't really like the one we've got and I would really like to see a better one as well. However, I think that there have to be some kid-conscious concessions made. I HATE action features that we're seen on screen but if you're going to sell these things to kids these ships have to do something. I think a roomier cockpit is a given and retractable landing gears are neat but I can't think of anything else this thing has to do. I think to have a usable interior it would have to be done closer to its appropriate scale which would put it in the BMF ball park.

As far as other Sith vehicles I'd like to see done? How about Vader's TIE! The one we've got is not nearly as good as the modern TIEs (especially with the new pod that's out now) and should be done up to that level of detail (and scale!).

Old Fossil
01-25-2010, 10:07 PM
How about an AT-SV (All Terrain Sith Vehicle)?

"That's no Moon Buggy, it's a Sith Kart!"

'Course, it would've taken Maul a lot longer to cross the Dune Sea on a Sith Kart than it did for him on that speeder. The noise factor, too, would've been a problem; even Jar Jar would have heard Maul coming a half mile off. But I think it would have been more fun for poor old overworked Maul, getting in some play time, you know.

I mean, what good is it being a Sith Lord, if you can't be a Sith Kid sometimes?

:D

bigbarada
01-25-2010, 10:18 PM
I think my window for interest in this toy closed right around 2001. I wouldn't begrudge Hasbro making a better one, but I never bought the $20 toy and I wouldn't buy an all-new version either.

Darth Jax
01-25-2010, 11:11 PM
i didn't buy the original release. if it ever gets repackaged i might pick one up. have no reason to desire a resculpted, larger one. since it really doesn't do anything onscreen other than sit in the background i wouldn't need it to be any bigger than to fit maul as a pilot. i have no idea how the interior is "supposed" to look as the cross-section guides don't interest me.

Tycho
01-26-2010, 07:08 PM
I can use this thread for the next "Would You Buy?" thread for TPM.

It is up next following a review of the responses from all 4 previous TPM poll questions.

pbarnard
01-26-2010, 07:21 PM
I was greatly annoyed by Hasbro/Lucasfilm's marketing failure in not making this ship when TPM was released. Yeah, I know it didn't do much, but it was a bloody cool design. When the Incredible Cross-Sections book was published and we got a look at all the stuff inside it, my love for it grew--so much so that the second I saw one at Target I snatched it up immediately--and then, in the throes of disappointment, I almost promptly took it back.

I think this could be pulled together in a good size that's just right for flying around the room, and come in at around the $65 price point.

The question is, would anybody (besides me) buy it?

As for other Sith ships, I'm working on some ideas--like the Rogue Shadow.

The problem with Incredible Cross Section books is that it takes several different drafts, artists etc versions and combines them into a single version. Most have items in their art that contradict several other sources with regard to location. So going by that as a definitive version is probably not the wisest thing.

The price point makes me say NEVER!!! No. Maul was a one shot throw away character developed to the depth of a bird bath emptied. Investing more into his one shot background vehicle is a waste of what I would rather spend it on (Cantina, EU, Jabba's Denziens for figures/vehicles).

Devo
01-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Okay, since there's a ton of "Would You Buy" threads I decided to start one to discuss one of my favorite prequel ships (and greatest toy disappointments)--Darth Maul's Sith Infiltrator.

the second I saw one at Target I snatched it up immediately--and then, in the throes of disappointment, I almost promptly took it back.

It was so small.

Surely this was plainly apparent from the size of the box alone! :p

Well heres my 2 cents:

Peak interest in this vehicle has long since disappeared. That would have been 1999. Prequel vehicles don't really share the popularity of classic OT vehicles and certainly not ones that were only on screen for about 5 seconds (which was most of them) so they are a harder sell without appearing in the Clone Wars tv show as people have otherwise 'forgotten' about them. If Hasbro were ever going to make this in a decent size they would have done so on first attempt. I highly doubt they'll take a second stab at this ship, particularly not so soon after the one we got.

Would I buy a new, bigger one if made? Not so long ago I would have said definitely. Now I'm not so sure. Money being the reason and having to limit myself to 'essentials' - that being OT stuff, certain Hot Toys figures and NECAs Terminator 2 line which is continuing in 2010.

Tycho
01-26-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm going to vote "no" for a bigger Sith Infiltrator.

I was sort of disappointed by the one we got, but it doesn't really need to be much larger than it is - not Royal Starship sized as it might be in reality.

This got me thinking of other real Sith ships to poll on when we work with the EU prospects in the future, though.

bigbarada
01-26-2010, 11:44 PM
I'm going to vote "no" for a bigger Sith Infiltrator.

I was sort of disappointed by the one we got, but it doesn't really need to be much larger than it is - not Royal Starship sized as it might be in reality.

This got me thinking of other real Sith ships to poll on when we work with the EU prospects in the future, though.

While it's not a Sith ship, I would still like to see how the bounty hunters' ships would fare in these polls. Namely Bossk's Hounds Tooth. But you could do polls for IG-88's, Dengar's and Zuckuss' ships as well.

Tycho
01-27-2010, 01:33 AM
While it's not a Sith ship, I would still like to see how the bounty hunters' ships would fare in these polls. Namely Bossk's Hounds Tooth. But you could do polls for IG-88's, Dengar's and Zuckuss' ships as well.

I plan to, as part of the EU polls. Probably one of them every once in a while as we pass through the SOTE era of the chronology.

I really want all the bounty hunter's ships made myself.

The Space Outlaw
01-28-2010, 08:56 PM

I wouldn't mind that. The IG-2000 would be a welcome addition to my collection, as would Hound's Tooth. One thing about the Tooth though--are the engine bells supposed to rotate to maneuver? All the artwork I've seen, and the Titanium toy, have the nozzles pointing straight up. Is that right? If not, why would it be rendered that way?

Tycho
03-03-2010, 05:03 AM
The Sith Infiltrator is losing this poll (for a bigger and better one, or even a re-release) by 3-4.

There haven't been that many votes, perhaps because I didn't start this thread so people might not have known I was using it as part of my poll series. But I thought, "Why not?"

We didn't need two threads on this topic.

I am continuing TPM ship polls over in the new Vintage forum with a review of what we've done already here.

DarkArtist
03-04-2010, 02:01 PM
while i agree that the version Hasbro gave us is lacking in everyway possible i don't think this would be one of the ships that they would redo and make into a larger vehicle for the $65 price range....

1.) it has only a few seconds of screen time
2.) really don't see anything other than it in flight and Maul walking down the boarding ramp.

i think Hasbro is going to say hey we made it...take it or leave it... gotta say I haven't seen the ship since it was first released so it's either been selling really good or been discontinued all together.

JediTricks
03-04-2010, 05:05 PM
This is the sort of ship that only works for Action Fleet IMO. It's too big in the movie but doesn't do enough to justify a big purchase. The action figure one we got is too small even as a starfighter, and as a Sith Infiltrator it's a total wash. In scale, a figure one would be bigger than the BMF which is ludicrous. But I can't see them doing one with the features I'd want - opening rear hatch that the figure can stand in, retractable landing legs (no SI toy has them, none anywhere), storage for the Sith Speeder, and a detailed 2-level interior to make it interesting - at a price I'd be willing to part with my cash for.

BTW, the Sith Infiltrator is, I believe, the only new vehicle released since POTJ to not get re-released (aside from the Saga Landspeeder which is scheduled for next year). It had its 1 TAC release and that was it, Hasbro had so little faith in it that they haven't rereleased it since.

Tycho
03-04-2010, 09:38 PM
The Sith Infiltrator was done because it needed to get done:

the bad guys need their vehicles to be a threat:

Darth Vader TIE Fighter
Emperor Palpatine Shuttle
Darth Maul Sith Infiltrator
Jango Fett Slave-One
General Grievous' Starfighter

Ventress could use her EU ship from the Gennedy CW cartoon - though I haven't polled for this yet, but will.

Dooku could use his solar sailor (which folks here voted "yes" for) and could have a cool "umbrella style" sail deployment for an interesting action feature that would make the ship unique even if released under-scale.

You know, later bad guys of the EU lacked personal ships with personality:

Darth Krayyt?
Grand Admiral Thrawn?
Supreme Overlord Shimra?

Exar Kun had the Starstorm-One (which I'll eventually poll for). That was a cool ship!

But yeah, Darth Maul needed a ship. He's that kind of hands-on fighter and Thrawn was not.

I was first insistant that a starfighter sized Sith Infiltrator would work but Hasbro proved me wrong :rolleyes: It still could have been made underscale, but my Maul figure has to sit in it kind of twisted, just so the hatch would close. It could have been bigger - maybe even tried out at a $50-70 price range. The Sith Speeder could have just plugged into the bottom. The Han Carbonite block fits with the GH Slave One in such a way to just get the feature done with. Someone would still complain, but I would think market research would have been able to justify a little bit more of a size increase for the Infiltrator.

JediTricks
03-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Darth Maul is a nobody chump who died 8 years before his ship came out. He was so out of vogue that the only recent figure they could dredge up to rerelease that would fit in it and look normal was from the Sith Speeder toy.