PDA

View Full Version : Why does Owen hate Anakin so much?

Brian_Fortuna
01-27-2010, 02:29 PM
i never read the novels, so maybe it was told there, but even after seeing 'Clones', I still don't get the hostility Owen has for Luke's Father. I mean, the Tusken's tortured and killed his Mother, what reaction did Owen expect from a Son?

Yeah, there was Women and Children, but Owen's Father himself said something like "They walk like men, but they are mindless monsters". So, yeah could someone explain the hatred, or is it just a case of..he simply don't like the guy?

Then again, he even called Obi-Wan..."a crazy old man", so maybe he just has something against force users. Thinks its to cuckoo for his old timey ways. Kinda like a religious difference maybe?

El Chuxter
01-27-2010, 02:49 PM
I think it boils down to, "Obi-Wan brought me his kid, told me what he'd done, and dropped the name Darth Vader. Then I start seeing this new Darth Vader guy on the 11 o'clock news, and, boy, is he ever scary. I don't want Luke to get involved with these weirdos and start hacking up child actors."

Brian_Fortuna
01-27-2010, 02:55 PM
lol !

But does Owen know he's Vader? I never knew Ben told him? He does say he's afraid he has to much of his Father in him, but I thought that went back to when he met him as a young Jedi.

DarkJedi5
01-27-2010, 03:05 PM
I think it has to do with the fact that Anakin left Tatooine. Owen was always stuck on that dustball but was able to make the most of it. Luke had a lot of his father in him and always wanted to leave. Even if Owen didn't know that Anakin became Vader, he would know that he was destroyed in the purge and if Luke goes digging too deep people might start to get wise. The standing order of the day would have been to shoot Jedi on sight, the son of Jedi? Probably get the same treatment. And the people who hide Jedi? Well I don't think it would have ended differently for Owen and Beru but they didn't know that.

Also, I think I remember reading somewhere that after Anakin went ballistic on the tuskens they retaliated with more attacks which Owen could blame Anakin for, Cliegg and all did tell him not to go.

Brian_Fortuna
01-27-2010, 03:10 PM
I think it has to do with the fact that Anakin left Tatooine. Owen was always stuck on that dustball but was able to make the most of it. Luke had a lot of his father in him and always wanted to leave. Even if Owen didn't know that Anakin became Vader, he would know that he was destroyed in the purge and if Luke goes digging too deep people might start to get wise. The standing order of the day would have been to shoot Jedi on sight, the son of Jedi? Probably get the same treatment. And the people who hide Jedi? Well I don't think it would have ended differently for Owen and Beru but they didn't know that.

Also, I think I remember reading somewhere that after Anakin went ballistic on the tuskens they retaliated with more attacks which Owen could blame Anakin for, Cliegg and all did tell him not to go.

wow cool, yeah that all does make sense. I never knew about the retailiation attacks, very interesting. Maybe that's how Cliegg died?

El Chuxter
01-27-2010, 03:22 PM
I figured Cliegg either died of old age or other natural causes. He was old, and he lost a leg... and didn't have good enough insurance to get a cybernetic one.

I don't know if it's been established that Owen does or doesn't know Vader's identity. Until it's stated one way or the other, I'll assume he does based on pre-AOTC continuity, where Owen was Obi-Wan's brother and had full knowledge of Anakin's becoming Vader.

2-1B
01-27-2010, 09:54 PM
He was jealous because he was stuck farming on Tatooine while Anakin was out enjoying the galaxy with Frassk.

Darth Jax
01-27-2010, 10:00 PM
he sampled padme's charms while ani was off killing tuskens. he harbored such anger that ani took padme away from him (after that blue milk just didn't do it for him anymore)

Bel-Cam Jos
01-31-2010, 05:51 PM
Across the galaxy, Anakin's "I HATE YOU!" scream at Obi-Wan also woke Owen up from a hot dream about a Twi'Lek. Never forgave him for that.

pbarnard
02-01-2010, 03:04 PM
The used items found in his swoop...from both Padme and Beru. That's why he really hates him.

JEDIpartner
02-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Anakin's cuter and fitter than Owen? LOL I have no clue. :rolleyes:

Warped
02-06-2010, 10:07 PM
OK, so in the 3 books from Ryder Windham (they are the Biographies of Obi-Wan, Luke, and Darth Vader). It tries to explain it all. Owen Also hate's Obi-Wan, from my understanding Owen does know what happened and that Anakin is Vader. Also Owen wants to keep Ben away from Luke all the time which I belive Owen just hates Jedi to begin with. But a Jedi that survied Order 66 was raised by the Tuskens, when he came back and saw that Anakin had killed the camp (this was when Luke was a kid) he started killing off farmers and Owen asked Ben to take care of it. Ben didn't kill the Jedi but he did take his arm. So all owen has ever seen from these "peace keepers" is killing and anger. I know this may not help, but it's some insight.

Devo
02-07-2010, 11:55 PM
This is just one of those things that the prequels should have explained but didn't because computer game droid factory sequences were more important to GL. That is all.

El Chuxter
02-08-2010, 08:19 AM
OK, so in the 3 books from Ryder Windham (they are the Biographies of Obi-Wan, Luke, and Darth Vader). It tries to explain it all. Owen Also hate's Obi-Wan, from my understanding Owen does know what happened and that Anakin is Vader. Also Owen wants to keep Ben away from Luke all the time which I belive Owen just hates Jedi to begin with. But a Jedi that survied Order 66 was raised by the Tuskens, when he came back and saw that Anakin had killed the camp (this was when Luke was a kid) he started killing off farmers and Owen asked Ben to take care of it. Ben didn't kill the Jedi but he did take his arm. So all owen has ever seen from these "peace keepers" is killing and anger. I know this may not help, but it's some insight.

That was a really crappy retcon of A'sharad Hett going evil, from the godawful Legacy comic book. It didn't fit in with his earlier character at all.

TheDarthVader
02-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Maybe he is also mad at obi wan because it was obi wan's responsibility to train anakin as a jedi, and old ben failed.

JEDIpartner
02-10-2010, 11:01 AM
That was a really crappy retcon of A'sharad Hett going evil, from the godawful Legacy comic book. It didn't fit in with his earlier character at all.

I agree. That's just stupid.