PDA

View Full Version : Hiding figures for later?

Battle Droid
02-27-2002, 02:09 AM
Do you guys hide figures in the stores for later if you don't have enough money to get them then, and think they'll all be gone your next visit?

I hid I don't know how many POTJ Sandtroopers & Dirty Biker Scouts yesterday behind all the 12 figs at Wal-Mart.

Need to build up that Army, and I've only got 1 of each at the moment.

Wolfwood319
02-27-2002, 02:58 AM
I never hide for myself, but occasionally I hide stuff for friends to pick up later. The trick is to not hide in the same aisle as the actual figures. I always like putting them in the Barbie section.

I've only done this a few times for friends who were going to pick them up later that day.

LTBasker
02-27-2002, 03:05 AM
I've hid figures before yes, sometimes for long periods of time and I even came up with a method! :D Always put them behind something that isn't very hot, is very big, on the bottom shelf, and has a high price tag so that they won't all be bought overnight, and be sure that it looks like there are other boxes in places of the figures or at least make sure there is no way to just happen to peer in and see figures there. Hardly ever really worked, but when I came up with that method, never failed... :D

One time though it was really funny, this was during the hit of the ASP-7 wave and I was at a Super Center Wal-Mart which wasn't stocking new figures alot and was just browsing over the figures then this guy starts walking down the aisle and stops in front of me then crouches down and picks up the lid piece to the bottom shelves (it's held up by a frame, not a solid bottom) and he pulls out a figure then walks away as if I wasn't even there, so then I decide to check it out, I pull up the lid, feel around and then voila, pull out ASP-7, a brand new figure and not even on the pegs! There was also another SW figure package down there but someone stole the figure. I like to look back and think that thanks to me some scalper didn't get at least one new figure to cheat a true collector. :D

Battle Droid
02-27-2002, 03:48 AM
LOL I've thought about hiding them under the shelf before, though never have.

Emperor Howdy
02-27-2002, 07:08 AM
I hide 'em all the time for SSG members....I also have this weird compulsion to get an entire wave at one time. For example, the other day I found Zutton but no Eeth Koth. As we speak, Zutton is hidden in the hardware section waiting on me to make up my mind...........don't ask.

Darkross
02-27-2002, 10:42 AM
Isn't hiding figures part of keeping scalpers from getting the stuff when we don't have the cash to get the figs right then? Why else would I hide figures that I want...if I had the money they would be mine! Anyway...my favorite thing to do is check out some of these little stores that don't move their stock very much and I've found a ton of good deals and POTF2 vehicles that came out 5 years ago. Just this past weekend I found a Tie Fighter for $23.00. I didn't have the cash for it so...I hid it on the bottom shelf behind some stuff. So it is waiting for me to go back and pick it up at a later time. I have every confidence in the world to think that in a month's time or 6 month's time...it will still be there. Heck...I know where I can get 3 Boba Fett 300th right now, not to mention Ugnaughts, Admiral Ackbar, Lando, and R2Q5. I just wish I could find a really sweet deal: DV Removable Helmet, ATAT Driver, R2D2 Holo Leia, Skiff, B-Wing, Jedi Final Duel at some of these places... Oh well...I guess I'll just have to keep looking!

roneyzf
02-27-2002, 11:46 AM
i don't hide but when i go to the store, i always look behind every thing in the toy department. i am there for about two hours looking. and i do it once a week.

Beast
02-27-2002, 12:12 PM
I used to hide figures alot, but most of the time if you don't have the cash on you, I've found that you can kindly ask a store manager and they will hold it for you. But since LTBasker mentioned finding figures that someone had hiddenn at Wal-mart, it reminded me of one time when I went to Wal-mart. I noticed that they had just gotten some new figures in. It was the Tessek wave, and hanging on the racks was 2 Tesseks and 2 Landos, no Jar Jar's and no R2-Q5's in sight. Oh well, I grabbed up a Lando and a Tessek and then started searching the aisle, ended up findiing 2 JJB figures stashed away behind some other stuff in the aisle. No R2-Q5's though. :( I thought it was pretty funny that someone went to the trouble to hide Jar Jar figures, but not Lando or Tessek. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Amanamike
02-27-2002, 12:39 PM
Do many of go looking for hidden figures??? And if so do you ever have any luck???

Casual George
02-27-2002, 01:40 PM
Back when the Flash Back wave was hot I found an Aunt Beru that way at my local TRU. It pays to search around you never know what you'll find.

mrhat
02-27-2002, 05:55 PM
It works most of the time, but then again, the store employees take them out, and put them back.

InsaneJediGirl
02-27-2002, 06:45 PM
I hide figures alot,normally behind expensive Legos or in
the Garden Department.Slip a few figs behind a bag of potting
soil and hope they dont get crushed!

I look for hidden figures all the time,I found some figures once
behind a large Transformer box at TRU.

Sidiously Darth
02-27-2002, 06:53 PM
I've never hidden a figure. I've had friends hide them and tell me where they are later. I do look around a bit, but most the stores I hit are pretty good about keeping their stock cleaned up.

PloKoon2385
02-27-2002, 07:05 PM
I usually just ask the place to put it on hold. And I am sorry to say that I am usually a hidden toy uncoverer. I have found a Mega Action Destroyer Droid and a Yoda and Destroyer Droid (when they were rare) and also a TC-14. Sorry about that, fair is fair.

Turbowars
02-27-2002, 08:34 PM
What a childish thing to do! Just kidding! I tried it at the time when TRU got all those POTF figures without the Holo stickers on them and a truck load of Jabba's Dancers. Anyways I forgot my wallet and stashed some figures at the top shelf where that door thingy is. I live two blocks away so I thought for sure they would be there when I got back, NO SUCH LUCK GONE!!! Now a days I don't hid things because I never ever find anything:0) :crazed:

Thrawn
02-27-2002, 09:24 PM
I hid a Jedi Luke and Jawas at a Value City in NJ in early 1997 and moved to TX soon after.

Well...I just moved back to the area and looked under the shelf and guess what? Still there after 5 years. I went to pull them out, but they were stuck to the floor and the bubble came right off the card.

The moral? Never hide stuff under the shelves for too long because when they wash the floors monthly the water goes under and kills the card, unless you want 'em loose.

Beast
02-27-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Thrawn
I hid a Jedi Luke and Jawas at a Value City in NJ in early 1997 and moved to TX soon after.
Well...I just moved back to the area and looked under the shelf and guess what? Still there after 5 years. I went to pull them out, but they were stuck to the floor and the bubble came right off the card.
The moral? Never hide stuff under the shelves for too long because when they wash the floors monthly the water goes under and kills the card, unless you want 'em loose.
If thats a true story, which I think it is. Just goes to prove how filthy some of those stores can be. I remeber going into K-marts a year ago and there was an actual 1/2 inch of dust ontop of the figure bubbles. Ya think whem they put new stuff up they would take the time to give the aisles a light dusting, to atleast make the stores look clean. Gee, any wonder K-Mart's are going bankrupt and probably out of business. :rolleyes:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

PloKoon2385
02-27-2002, 09:33 PM
Is that a true story Thrawn? If so, I am amazed and suprised.

LTBasker
02-27-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Thrawn

A little far-fetched but then again the only time they would've checked under there would be to move the aisle which alot of stores don't do a whole lot when there is no need, plus after what I saw under that one shelf, I believe it and am not suprised. Although when I found that ASP-7 it was nice and minty mint, no water damage! :D It wouldn't of mattered though, I ripped that puppy right open when I got home. :cool:

Jayspawn
02-28-2002, 10:30 AM
I remember hiding figures when I was a lot younger. I didn't have a car at the time and my funds were really limited then. I hide one everynow and then for other collectors.

I remember one time I wend to pick up some figure I had hid and there was a note where my missing figures were. It said "Collector, pleae don't hide any figures. You can reserve them at the Customer Service Desk."

OHH!!! They showed me!!!

Mandalorian Candidat
02-28-2002, 12:13 PM
Well, I can't really point fingers since I'm very guilty! I always carry around a credit card with a decent amount of credit limit so I can get stuff if I find it. The only time I'll hide something is in hopes of it going on clearance or sale later on. Right now I have a Lego At-St hidden at W-M in hopes it will go on clearance. Something tells me it won't because it was the last one and why change the price in the computer if there are none left in the store?

What I really like doing is finding hidden stuff. If I don't want it I will always put it back on the shelf or move it around. Once I visited my brother in Northern Utah and snooped around the W-M up there. Someone had hidden a ton of DM Tats and QA Coruscants (this was back when they were VHTF) so I just put all 10 or so back on the pegs.

Beast
02-28-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
What I really like doing is finding hidden stuff. If I don't want it I will always put it back on the shelf or move it around. Once I visited my brother in Northern Utah and snooped around the W-M up there. Someone had hidden a ton of DM Tats and QA Coruscants (this was back when they were VHTF) so I just put all 10 or so back on the pegs.
I love doing that also, gives me a warm feeling to know that who ever it was that stashed 10 or so of the hot figure will be out of luck when they come back to pick them up for scalping purposes, cause collector's and kids could actually get a chance at them. That's why I quit hiding figures pretty much, cause most of the time the stores are pretty good at holding them for you while you hit the bank or go raid your cash pile at home. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
02-28-2002, 02:13 PM
Whenever I find hidden figures, I assume that a scalper is trying to circumvent the "2 only" limit, so I put them back on a shelf. Instead of trying to cheat the rest of us honest consumers, guys, why not quit hiding stuff for your buddies and just cough up the cash or whip out the credit card right there? Hiding merchandise is just as bad as scalping. In both cases, you're impeding the flow of fair trade for your personal benefit.

hairless chewie
02-28-2002, 02:44 PM
I've used layaway before when I was short of cash and came back next payday and paid them off.

LTBasker
02-28-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
Instead of trying to cheat the rest of us honest consumers, guys, why not quit hiding stuff for your buddies and just cough up the cash or whip out the credit card right there?

Originally posted by hairless chewie
I've used layaway before when I was short of cash and came back next payday and paid them off.

Sometimes when you're too young for a credit card, and need to be 18 for lay-a-way, and you don't have any cash on ya... ;)

fourtwo
02-28-2002, 03:53 PM
i did it once. at a liquidation outlet that had some old freeze frame figures for 5 bucks a pop. i hid ughnaughts, one of jabba's droid's and lak sivrak. i came back shortly after for them but someone had scooped that lak from the bottom of a massive pile of ugly teddy bears, the other two were intact.

i'd hide more, but since we don't get anything in canada i just take what i can get.

master jedi
03-01-2002, 12:41 PM
I haven't hidden anyhting in a long time.

I have found stuff that was hidden by morons. They hid stuff that the store had a billion of.

InsaneJediGirl
03-01-2002, 01:50 PM
Orginally Posted by Thrawn

Its a good idea to hide them under shelves for a short period
of time,but hey,I'd be worried about all those cameras in the
store...Not good to be a wanted SW Collector :D

LTBasker
03-01-2002, 02:17 PM
They're not REALLY watching, they're just there for intimidation, plus we've got the old SW Collector mind trick. :D

pthfnder89
03-01-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

I love doing that also, gives me a warm feeling to know that who ever it was that stashed 10 or so of the hot figure will be out of luck when they come back to pick them up for scalping purposes, cause collector's and kids could actually get a chance at them. Jar Jar Binks

I used to hide some every once in a while, but then I stopped, because I could usually afford what I came for, if I found it.

I would never get angry at an honest collector for hiding a figure so he could come back for it later. But at the same time, I love to find hidden stuff and put it back on the very front peg so kids can have a crack at it.:D I figure that nine times out of ten it's a scalper that hid it anyway, so I'm like JarJar; It makes me feel all tingly thinking about the scalper coming back to find his little treasure gone.:):)

Thrawn
03-01-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by InsaneJediGirl

Its a good idea to hide them under shelves for a short period
of time,but hey,I'd be worried about all those cameras in the
store...Not good to be a wanted SW Collector :D

Yes, the Value City story is 100% true. Anyone that wants to check it is the one by the old Seaview Square mall.

In the old days I got followed and kicked out of many a store because I was there all the time looking for new toys and as you know very well 99% of the time there is nothing new and people start to get suspicious.

Most retail stores have no cameras. The globes that hang from the ceiling are empty. This is true at Wal*Mart , but they use plain clothes people.

I actually invented hiding stuff under the shelves going back to 1991 I hid a Super Nintendo at a Jamesway that was going under and went back to grab it when it was down to 70% off. You should've seen the looks when I was on line buying it!;)

SirSteve
03-01-2002, 10:46 PM
Some very funny stories here! :D

PloKoon2385
03-02-2002, 01:46 PM
Bad Thrawn, Bad BAD! I am dissapointed in you. Tsk Tsk. :D I don't usually hide things... I usually just beg my mom for more money.:D And it works. I know, I'm spoiled.

derek
03-02-2002, 02:55 PM
i don't hide stuff, but i like to find it! my best finds are R2-B1, TC-14 and the y-wing.

fourtwo
03-02-2002, 04:44 PM
this has been the best post i've watched since i have joined. everyone has some pretty good stories. thrawn, i am very amused :)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-02-2002, 10:31 PM
Yes, I do hide figures. I also steal from the collection plate at church, push old ladies down the stairs and sniff glue. :p

Seriously, I hide figures all the time. I only do it because I am broke half of the time and I get very few opportunities to visit the stores that have all the new figures due to certain limitations.

However, I am very bad at hiding things. I remember I hid a Black-dress Queen under some slow selling and dust collecting Bio-Bugs. Two days later I go back and Wal-Mart decides to have a special sale on those critters and they move them to the front of the aisle. The queen was gone :( I also hid an R2-Q5 at a Target before Christmas and someone found that too. I've also "lost" probably a half dozen other figures over the years. In fact, I've hidden another queen today. Will have to see if it is still there next week.

I hear LT mention the paneling at the bottom of the shelves. An online buddy of mine has also mentioned hiding things underneath those panels, but I have no clue on how he opens them or even what panel he is talking about.

stillakid
03-02-2002, 10:37 PM
As if we didn't have enough to worry about with the stockboys in the back pulling merchandise before it hits the floor, our own collector brethren feel the need to stab the rest of us in the collective back.

Not only have I never hidden anything, I've handed over figures to drooling kids or other collectors if I happened to have "extras" already at home. There's always time to pad the collection, but there's no time like the present to lend a helping hand.

fourtwo
03-03-2002, 07:04 PM
As if we didn't have enough to worry about with the stockboys in the back pulling merchandise before it hits the floor, our own collector brethren feel the need to stab the rest of us in the collective back.

if you think a collector hiding something for himself or one of his close friends is a "stab in the back" then you have some issues my friend. everyone is looking out for there own concerns and no matter how nice it would be if people put the wishes of strangers ahead of the wishes of there own, thats just not how it is.

if you don't like all this hiding then get there first and buy them yourself.

Jargo
03-03-2002, 07:51 PM
I'm ashamed to say that i too hide stuff when i find t and don't have cash on me. I like to place nice shiny new figgies at the top of the very high racks of pegs right at the back where no kiddies are going to get them. luckily for me there isn't that much interest round here. Most folk I know of collect the 12 inch monstrous dollies and the other gimmicky items. I have resorted to taking star wars figgies over to the Barbie aisle and stashing them there where I know they won't be found. but that was when TRU had stock. now it's just a barren hole with hardly anything.... :( Well, great while it lasted.

actually i used to hang out quite a bit rifling through the endless POTF2 luke x-wings that clogged everywhere up looking for stray figgies and if i found anything and there were kids around I'd tell them not to bother looking. When TPM opened and everyone was looking for maul I just laughed very loudly when some kid asked me if therewere any. he left and I pulled the Maul I'd found from under my sweater and went to pay for it. Kinda wish i'd let him have it now that we've got so many of the damn things still hogging shelves in comic stores and bargain stores. :rolleyes:

Does TRU have security over there? All we have in ours is one guy on the door. PUSHOVER! :D

Nium
03-03-2002, 08:14 PM
All I got to say is thanks guys, you've all really helped me to fill out missing members of my collection. I've rarely hid figs but I've found a plenty. Aurra Sing was a find not to mention some dusty Gamorrean Guards (under the shelf panels at TRU), Ugnaughts, and a few others. Please keep stashing 'em all and now I know a few more places to look for 'em.

If any of you are irritated that I took your secret stash or that I ain't ashamed to admit taking them. Then consider it payback for the irritation I feel at having to search for figures that should be on the pegs. Oh and if I find figures that I already have or can't afford I either put them on layaway or put them at the front of the PEGS. :evil:

sith_killer_99
03-03-2002, 08:31 PM
Easy now, he's just expressing an opinion. He IS entitled to do so, and this is a friendly forum. So please let's just keep it that way. ;)

BTW, this is similar to a discussion we had about a year ago. I think the running joke was what new SW toys we could find in Sporting Goods, Automotive, Home and Garden, etc.

"Darn, no new POTJ...then I went into Sporting Goods and found the New Jek Porkins wave!" hehehehe

I have never had occasion to hide figures myself. However I have had the customer service desk hold figures for me.

I guess I just figured, why risk someone else finding them. Since there is a system in place for just such an emergency.

It was easy, I just said "Excuse me, I need to run to the ATM real quick. Could you hold my stuff for a few min. while I go get some more cash." Twenty min. later I was GOLDEN!

Not to mention layaway, for when you're REALLY short on cash. I guess it's just my practical nature. So no "hiding figures for later stories" from me.

However, I do remember when EP1 hit. Some guy had bought a bunch of stuff and put it on layaway. I walked in as they were putting it all back. I guess the guy ended up backing out or not paying. Anyway, I walked away with a pretty good score.

Also, I have a tendency to put figures back on the pegs when I find them about the store, if I don't buy them.

Sidiously Darth
03-03-2002, 08:51 PM
Nickle....I know it was an "N" word!:D

mylow thehutt
03-03-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
I've hid figures before yes, sometimes for long periods of time and I even came up with a method! :D Always put them behind something that isn't very hot, is very big, on the bottom shelf, and has a high price tag so that they won't all be bought overnight, and be sure that it looks like there are other boxes in places of the figures or at least make sure there is no way to just happen to peer in and see figures there. Hardly ever really worked, but when I came up with that method, never failed... :D

One time though it was really funny, this was during the hit of the ASP-7 wave and I was at a Super Center Wal-Mart which wasn't stocking new figures alot and was just browsing over the figures then this guy starts walking down the aisle and stops in front of me then crouches down and picks up the lid piece to the bottom shelves (it's held up by a frame, not a solid bottom) and he pulls out a figure then walks away as if I wasn't even there, so then I decide to check it out, I pull up the lid, feel around and then voila, pull out ASP-7, a brand new figure and not even on the pegs! There was also another SW figure package down there but someone stole the figure. I like to look back and think that thanks to me some scalper didn't get at least one new figure to cheat a true collector. :D

I can't bealive it that was you! Thanx a lot i think you owe me a ASP-7.:crazed: Just kidding,i have no idea who you are talking about :crazed:

stillakid
03-03-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by fourtwo

if you think a collector hiding something for himself or one of his close friends is a "stab in the back" then you have some issues my friend. everyone is looking out for there own concerns and no matter how nice it would be if people put the wishes of strangers ahead of the wishes of there own, thats just not how it is.

if you don't like all this hiding then get there first and buy them yourself.

I've seen those guys before, the one's that hang out at Target every morning waiting for the doors to open, then speed-walking to the toy aisle. Is that what you're proposing everyone should do?

I'm suggesting that you leave merchandise where it's supposed to be unless you have the intention of purchasing it at the time. Why that concept of decency and fairness is so difficult to understand is beyond me, although apparently some people are incapable of comprehending something so complex.

You say that "that's just not how it is." The truth is that the world is what you make of it and if "bending the rules" a bit to satisfy your own sense of "need" is what gets you off, then it's your own fault that the world isn't fair. Believe it or not, you are capable of putting the wishes of strangers ahead of your own if you allow yourself that moment of compassion every once in a while. But that's a personal choice. It's too bad that there are so many people in this world with your attitude. The way I see it, the guy who feels it necessary to approach the world in this way is the one with the issues.

fourtwo
03-04-2002, 04:47 AM
If i had a target to wait outside of eagerly once or twice i'd probably not be so militant. you americans have it easy for collecting, trust me. if you were plucked from your toy wonderland(target, kb, TRU that actually gets cool stuff) you may change your perspective. i do what i have to do to satisfy my wants and needs. i'm not wealthy, i'm a frickin 21 year old college student who owes more money than i care to think about so maybe you can sorta understand where i am coming from.

i hide stuff for myself and a close friend who's also in to collecting. i'm not out there hiding so i can get multiples of that hot new figure or whatever those nuts do. i open everything i buy and get the same grin i did some 15 odd years ago. thats the only thing about this whole situation that "gets me off" as you put it. truth be told i've never really hidden that much stuff simply cause there isn't that much stuff to hide. i never feel like i'm cheating anyone out of anything. i feel more cheated on the selection of figures that we get stuck with.

i think i spent enough time defending myself on the issue, i just think you needed to understand not everyone is as lucky as my american neighbours to the south when it comes to star wars toys.

and btw...i really hope you do know that all human beings are pricks by nature and therefore will always try to help themselves first, thats just how we are. nearly everyone bends the rules. oh and its not my fault the world isn't fair. i don't appreciate the blame either. :D

sith_killer_99
03-04-2002, 09:46 PM
:crazed:

stillakid
03-04-2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
:crazed:

no kidding:rolleyes:

stevenmh
03-07-2002, 05:59 PM
Thanks to this thread, I picked up all the preview figures today. I had never thought about anyone hiding figures. So when I found one of each of the preview figures in Wal-Mart today except Jango, I remembered this thread and did a little hunting. Finally found a Jango behind a big Gundam toy on the bottom shelf on the opposite side of the aisle.

Hellzer
03-07-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by stevenmh
Thanks to this thread, I picked up all the preview figures today. I had never thought about anyone hiding figures. So when I found one of each of the preview figures in Wal-Mart today except Jango, I remembered this thread and did a little hunting. Finally found a Jango behind a big Gundam toy on the bottom shelf on the opposite side of the aisle.

Coincidently enough, this very thread also helped me out today in FINALLY posessing an Eeth Koth fig. I got the heads up from the "Just Found" forum that the Eeth/Zutton wave was at a local TRU. I raced down there, and just as I had feared, there were more than enough Zuttons, but not a single Eeth in sight. I was about the leave disapointed for the umpteenth time, but then I remembered this vast discussion and started searching. It took me about, oh, 4 seconds before I noticed a suspicious gap in a row of 12" Chewbaccas. I peered down and sure enough, there was a mint Eeth Koth smiling back at me on how poorly he was hidden. It was the happiest moment of my collecting history. I opened it up as soon as I got in my car and held him in my hand the whole way home. Life is good.

And for the record, I myself would never hide any figures, because I have a platinum card :evil:.

iguanabytes
03-08-2002, 12:29 AM
there is also, at walmart, the magic of layaway- 10% down, and your figures stay nice and toasty until you pick them up

Darkross
03-08-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by iguanabytes
there is also, at walmart, the magic of layaway- 10% down, and your figures stay nice and toasty until you pick them up

So will they do this for ships (i.e. Tie Bombers & Snowspeeders) that have yet to be shipped? If so...I might just have to take a little spin across the border!

iguanabytes
03-08-2002, 04:47 PM
I wish!!!

sith_killer_99
03-09-2002, 03:44 PM
OK, this is getting to be quite FUNNY.

I went to TRU today and found Zuttons warming pegs. NO FX-7, no Imperial Officer, no Rebel Trooper, no Eeth Koth, just a dozen or so Zuttons!

So I look down at all the 25th Anniversary 2-pks and see some strategically placed sets. Sure enough, when I moved the sets there was an Imperial Officer and and FX-7 staring up at me!!!

I bought the Imp. Officer and placed the FX-7 back on the pegs, right out in front for everyone to see.

BTW, this happened at TRU in Kentucky right off of Highway 31W, between Fort Knox and Louisville. ;)

Cool Han Luke
03-09-2002, 04:01 PM

Not only have I never hidden anything, I've handed over figures to drooling kids or other collectors if I happened to have "extras" already at home. There's always time to pad the collection, but there's no time like the present to lend a helping hand.

This is quite an interesting practice. Anyone else interested? I find the rewards are greater when you pick up the last of the hard to get figures and someone runs up behind you and seems to need the figure more. I know if I need the figure bad enough there will always be another time and place.

As per this thread.....Over a year ago my girlfriend working in Texas would go figure hunting for me. She would take her friends kids with her( kids are great at sniffing out toys stashed below the pegs). One time it actually worked, I was on the phone here in CA while she was unleashing the kids on the action figure aisle. I was actually giving orders on where to have the kids look for figures. One of the kids hit a stockpile of hidden figures of which 2 "clean" biker scouts called out. Needless to say they made a 2000 mile journey where they now stand guard over my monitor. If I did hide figures , don't think I would be very good at it.

Dar' Argol
03-09-2002, 04:58 PM
About the time that TPM movie came out I was at my local TRU. I was looking for a few figures that I didn't have on layaway at Wal-Mart. There was this 5-7yr old kid with his mom in looking through the figures. He wanted a Jar Jar(I don't know why) and there was none on the shelves. He did have a Darth Maul in his hand though(it was the all black one). A money-hungry-toy-monger came into the aisle. The kids mom went around the corner to ask an employe if they had anymore in the back. The MHTM walked past the kid, saw what he had and snatched it right from his hands!!!!!! Now this MHTM already had like 40 figs in his basket(not a cart). The kid starts to cry and his mom comes around and asked what's wrong, eyeing me the whole time. I calmly explained what happend and told her to wait here. I woaled up front and spotted him at a register waiting in line. He was looking at some SW Pez there. So I quitely walked up, and lo and behold, right on to was the Darth Maul. I quickly and quitely grabbed it without him noticing and walked back to the kid and his mom. She thanked me over and over and I suggested we should go up now and pay for it. We walked up to the register next to the MHTM and he looked over. He saw what the kid had, quickly looked in his basket and then glared at the kid. I was smiling ear to ear!! He looked at me and gave me a look that could have struck down any Sith Lord! I left that store with the best feeling in the world!:happy: I have never felt better! The kids mom tried to give me a few bucks for what I did but I refused. I told her I remember looking for my favorite fig when the OT came out. I know the feeling I had when I found it back then and I was glad I could help another kid feel the same.

Oh, BTW, another good place to look for hidden figs at Wal-Mart is in the furniture Dept. Look in the drawers and stuff. I work at Wal-Mart and I love going through there every so often and putting the figs back on the pegs. I found 2 Arrua Sings, A biker scout, 3 Plo Koon's and a Cold Weather Obi-Wan all in the same drawer. I wish I could have been there when that person came back for those figs:D

JetsAndHeels
03-09-2002, 05:23 PM
That was very noble of you. That kid now has a story he will always remember when he looks at his Darth Maul figure.
It is a great feeling to help people when you know that it makes a difference to them.

DarthRune
03-09-2002, 06:31 PM
I am a oldschooler at stashing figures, my first standby is lay away but in younger days i was damn good.
Long term:
1.Big stuffed animals
2.pillows in housing department
3.childrens area...look for put together display cribs an such
4.clothing isles,, look for the 3 packs of fruit of the loom underwear usualy at shin level
5.housing BIG trashcans, remeove the top trashcans and hide the figures in the bottom trashcan and stack the rest back inside the bottom one...there is a space.

Short term (few hours or a day)
1. behind diapers
2. special temporary themed Displays...like everytime a disney move comes out
3.the wooden pilots(flat crates) in the garden secion, that most time bagged dirt is on
4. display furniture

Do's
1. take a lookout if possible
2. take your time...if you get all excited you look suspisious.
3. it helps to hide the same figure in more than one spot
4. its better to make freinds with someone at the store

donts
1.dont have an empty cart full of figures and then come out an isle empty....most time they think you are stealing not just hiding and follow you...grab some dumb stuff just to throw in the cart
2.dont come back for one or two figures....save your money to get the entire stash....you keep going back you risk loosing the rest or your stash spot
3.dont tell anyone where they are unless you trust them
4when you do go get them be just as cautious as stashing to save your spot
5. dont stash in places that are around stuff that changes alot,...like food....shampoo...ect. anything that ppl buy alot of.
6.dont be seen period...treat it as if your stealing...watch for cameras or people...a lookout is a good thing
7. dont ever stash figures in the toy ilses... it the first place they look

STORES:

Toys R Us- its hard enough stashing **** as a kid but as an adult its damn hard.....my spots that worked was around the bike section with the put togeather displays...there are usualy "Little tikes" jeeps and playyard ****....there was this big ladybug sandbox about 4 ft round that was on the top of the rack ...the lid came of and it gave a huge stash spot.....also another i used sometimes was the huge LEGO sets ...usualy found on the bottom of the isle and people dont like to bend dont...they are also very expensive....so they dont move.

Wal Mart- just about any places mentioned above works good...only problem is all the security...i have been stopped more than once for stashing a figure..they thought i stole...after showing them i was asked to leave and not return.

K Mart same as wall mart but with less security

Sears- when i was a kid the toys was still there and there was a alcove that had these displays for kitchen cabnets and behind the doors was a great spot....now a good TEMPORARY spot is under the bed displays.

KBtoys is a hard store cause most of them are small....the only places i have an type of sucsess is behind stuffed animals at the bottom...and huge barbie/girl ilse...stuff

thats about all the stores i know....just about any store has spots...just remember to stash them LOW...most people wont kneel on the floor to look behind stuff....think of stuff that people dont buy everyday...like big trash cans...or stuffed animals...pillows... and remember most security that might be following you is thinking your going to steal.

nowdays all i do is layaway...for 10% you know its safe...its there...and your garenteed to get it when you come back.

stillakid
03-09-2002, 08:19 PM
I think that I'll start BENDING all the stashed cards that I find from now on...and leave them right where I find them.

Buy it or leave it alone.

stillakid
03-09-2002, 10:24 PM
Ok, so maybe I won't, but I still don't understand all of this.

Dar' Argol
03-09-2002, 10:55 PM
I think that I'll start BENDING all the stashed cards that I find from now on...and leave them right where I find them.

Buy it or leave it alone.

Hey, I agree with you! I do not believe in stashing b/c
1. It doesn't give us all a fair chance. Nevermind we "honest collectors" have to deal with the money-hungry-toy-mongers, but we also have to deal with stasher's. That ain't right:mad:
2. Collectors already have a bad name. You tell someone you collect figs and they give you a really weird look:stupid:. If you get caught stashing that's another rung down the ladder you have sent us all. And if I catch you at my store, I WILL escort you out!

For pete's sake(who's pete?) use Layaway. In Wal-Mart its 10% down. Most other places its free!! You say you stash till you have money. Just make sure you carry a few bucks at all times. I do not make that much but I always have a few dollars on me for such an occaision.

boss nass
03-10-2002, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Hellzer

Coincidently enough, this very thread also helped me out today in FINALLY posessing an Eeth Koth fig. I got the heads up from the "Just Found" forum that the Eeth/Zutton wave was at a local TRU. I raced down there, and just as I had feared, there were more than enough Zuttons, but not a single Eeth in sight. I was about the leave disapointed for the umpteenth time, but then I remembered this vast discussion and started searching. It took me about, oh, 4 seconds before I noticed a suspicious gap in a row of 12" Chewbaccas. I peered down and sure enough, there was a mint Eeth Koth smiling back at me on how poorly he was hidden. It was the happiest moment of my collecting history. I opened it up as soon as I got in my car and held him in my hand the whole way home. Life is good.

And for the record, I myself would never hide any figures, because I have a platinum card :evil:. dude i seen that same figure there in between the 12' chewbaccas i guess i should of told you i seen that but when i left tru in Danvers there were a couple left on the pegs im really happy you got the zutton and Eeth i was hoping someone from this site could benifit from my post hey let me know if you find anything :)

Lman316
03-10-2002, 08:50 AM
I have never hid anything at a store, because if I'm going to go there, I'll usually wait until I have the money to buy something.
However, I have found figures that people have hid.
Back during the Orange cards and Green cards days, I would find them hidden behind other toys, and even on top of the hooks that other figures (like Batman or something) were hanging.
But nowadays, I don't even bother to look. I look wierd doing it, but the main reason is: our Wal*Mart doesn't get anything anyway. If I happen to see other figures of a wave on the hooks, then I might. But that hasn't happened for a long time around here.