PDA

View Full Version : Revenge of the McDonalds toys

RJarvis
02-02-2010, 09:33 PM
well, it's certainly a far cry from Titanium or F-toys, but at least it's something...

http://www.starwars.com/vault/collecting/news20100128.html

Ross

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Could a mod move this somewhere else? I only saw it because of the link on the SSG homepage.

Anyway, I always like the restaurant premiums. These don't look like spectacular products, but half the fun is in getting them.

Lord Malakite
02-03-2010, 04:55 AM
Anyway, I always like the restaurant premiums. These don't look like spectacular products, but half the fun is in getting them.
I might try to get this 8 toy set using my trick to get all of them at once, like I did to get the 18 toy set from 2008.

I imagine some people already have these 8 McDonald's toys from importing though. In 2008 when we got the 18 bobblehead/vehicle toys at McDonald's in the US for the Clone Wars movie, this set of 8 toys is what most of the Asian McDonald's (China, Malaysia, etc.) got. Taiwan was an oddball exception. They got 6 toys total (3 were from the US set and 3 were from the Asian set).

There is also another completely different set of 8 toys that was available at most European McDonald's (UK, Hungary, etc.) at the same time.

Edit 1: I just got done adding these toys to the CollectionStation (http://www.collectionstation.com/categories/view/2010-Promotion.3672/Happy-Meal-Toys.3673) website and I notified SirSteve about the new McDonald's set. The link provided should take you to the toys once Steve approves the category and it becomes public.

Edit 2: Apparently there was also a Star Wars McDonald's toy promotion in late December 2009 in the UK. I'll do some research on it and have those up on CollectionStation soon as well.

Edit 3: The UK toys are now also on CollectionStation (http://www.collectionstation.com/categories/view/United-Kingdom-UK-Hungary-Switzerland.1539/2009-Promotion.3675). Once Steve makes it public it'll be viewable by that link.

Darth Metalmute
02-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Those ship launchers look almost like the ones from BK a couple of years ago. Different key, same molds?

DarthQuack
02-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Paging LM! :thumbsup: I knew you'd be excited :)

Darth Duranium
02-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the link, Ross.

The gunship looks ok, but I'm not too enthused about the rest.

They're different than the proto ones that we saw earlier, too... wonder if they're from BK or made for Asia, as folks have speculated.

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=708369&postcount=1

RJarvis
02-04-2010, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the link, Ross.

The gunship looks ok, but I'm not too enthused about the rest.

They're different than the proto ones that we saw earlier, too... wonder if they're from BK or made for Asia, as folks have speculated.

no sweat...glad to help out...and i agree with you regarding your assessment...i'll prolly try to grab a few gunships for myself and my son (they're his favorite sw ship) but unless they look much better in person, i'll prolly pass on the rest

Ross

Lord Malakite
02-04-2010, 02:32 AM

No speculation about these 2010 US McDonald's Star Wars toys (http://www.collectionstation.com/categories/view/2010-Promotion.3672/Happy-Meal-Toys.3673), we've seen them before. Aside from having a plastic clip (instead of a rope string), they are the same exact toys (http://www.collectionstation.com/categories/view/China-Malaysia-Philippines.1453/Happy-Meal-Toys.1450) that Asia McDonald's got in the 2008 Clone Wars promo when the US McDonald's had those SW bobble-head vehicles (http://www.collectionstation.com/categories/view/2008-Promotion.3671/Happy-Meal-Toys.1222). Those Hasbro prototypes (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=708369&postcount=1) are something completely different.

Lord Malakite
02-11-2010, 06:41 AM
A minor update to note, though it doesn't effect things much. Appears there are actually 16 toys total in this upcoming promotion, though only the 8 toys we saw from the SW website are actually Star Wars related. The other 8 toys from this promo are Nickelodeon iCarly toys. Its one of those half boy/half girl promos that McDonald's tends to do on a regular basis.

Like I said, doesn't change much for anyone who wants to collect these SW toys. Just something to be aware of so you don't accidentally end up with an iCarly toy.

Warped
02-11-2010, 09:46 PM
I will go inside and throw an I carly toy at someone if they give me one after I say "it's for a boy". To many times i have gotten home and my son tells me they gave him a girl toy. I will have to check the bags every time for this. My boys give me all their doubles of the burger toys that are Star Wars. And they know they eat there just about every night during these great times....... Ok maybe I wont throw it, but dammit they will check the bags everytime someone says "boy" after I leave.

morpheus282
02-27-2010, 10:52 PM
We got some of these today. I went in and asked to buy all the unique ones they had for both Star Wars and iCarly since my little girl likes both. I wanted the gunship to play with at work during those long conference calls. They sold me the Anakin & Yoda along with 2 iCarlys, so I figured the ships would show up in a week or so. I gave them to my daughter and she loved them. Then she opens her happy meal bag and pulls out... the gunship! :D

Lord Malakite
03-03-2010, 03:07 PM
I had a minor setback in my collecting. My plan to get all 8 toys at one time fell through. They had all 8 toys as I expected they would (from the trick I learned during the previous SW Clone Wars promo), so that wasn't the problem. Problem was the time I went just happened to be the same time as a certain "*****" manager was working and wouldn't let the employees sell me the entire set at one time with the excuse that those toys were only for "collectors" (so what the hell does that make me?) looking to complete their sets. Only a minor setback though, I remain undeterred from the task at hand. Already have four of the toys (Anakin Skywalker, Yoda, Jedi Starfighter & Republic Gunship). Soon the other four toys (Darth Vader, R2-D2, X-Wing Starfighter & Millennium Falcon) will be mine. If I walked 5 miles on foot every week (sometimes more than once in a single day) to Burger King for 10 weeks (including through a thunderstorm/tornado warning) to get the ROTS toy sets, I sure as hell won't let one crabby McDonald's manager stand in the way of my new SW preciouses. Theys will bes mines. Alls of thems!

sonofsokol
03-03-2010, 03:38 PM
I went with my wife and 2 boys to McD's on Monday. The boys both got Happy Meals and I asked if they could each get a different toy and if I could buy the other 6. The lady rang us up, she charged me like $10 for the other 6 toys (less than $2 a piece). When she went to grab them, they only had opened 2 boxes, the gunship and Yoda, and the manager didn't want to go in the back and grab the others. The lady who had taken my order kind of told him off, that we had already paid for them and that he should just quit being lazy and go get the toys. Not that it matters, but their conversation was in Spanish and I speak Portuguese, so I picked up on most of what she said. I don't think either suspected that.:lipsrsealed: Anyway, he couldn't find the jedi starfighter, so I took a second gunship and was pretty happy. I figure we'll go back, or to a different location soon enough and I'll request one then. The ships are really quite cool, but the figures characters are a little ho-hum.
I went online with my son and played the game they have at happymeal.com too. Nothing special, but about on par with most of the games on the starwars.com site.

Lord Malakite
03-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Anyway, he couldn't find the jedi starfighter, so I took a second gunship and was pretty happy. I figure we'll go back, or to a different location soon enough and I'll request one then. The ships are really quite cool, but the figures characters are a little ho-hum.
I find that sometimes they have an easier time finding a particular item if you know the happy meal toy # (since most of the employees aren't exactly SW fans). The Jedi Starfighter is happy meal #2, a "week 1" toy. It should be in the same box shipment as Anakin Skywalker (happy meal #1). So when they look ask if they have Star Wars toy #2. As for characters vs. vehicles, I think I'm on the other side of the fence from you. I like the figures more than the vehicles. Must be a residual effect (from the BK ROTS promos and the previous McD CW promo) with the somewhat "animated" Super-D/Bobble Head look they have.

sonofsokol
03-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the information about the toy numbers, Lord Malakite. Its funny that you said the starfighter should be a week one toy and they were handing out the gunship and Yoda not the starfighter and Anakin.

Don't get me wrong, I think the characters are really cool too. I guess I am comparing them to this older R2-D2 toy (http://www.rebelscum.com/TB97r2d2leia.asp) from Taco Bell that opened up and held a Princess Leia Figure. I guess seeing as how these new McD toys open up, I wish that they held something like that old R2. My kids still get a kick out of that R2/Leia set all these years later. They are cool as they are, but they could have been REALLY cool if they held something inside.

I missed out on most of the McD bobble heads and and all of the BK ROTS toys I really regret it now.:cry:

Lord Malakite
03-04-2010, 03:29 AM
Thanks for the information about the toy numbers, Lord Malakite. Its funny that you said the starfighter should be a week one toy and they were handing out the gunship and Yoda not the starfighter and Anakin.
Yoda is #3 and the Gunship is #4, so that McDs either is going through the toys fast or got the cases flipped when they opened them (both are possible).

Don't get me wrong, I think the characters are really cool too. I guess I am comparing them to this older R2-D2 toy (http://www.rebelscum.com/TB97r2d2leia.asp) from Taco Bell that opened up and held a Princess Leia Figure. I guess seeing as how these new McD toys open up, I wish that they held something like that old R2. My kids still get a kick out of that R2/Leia set all these years later. They are cool as they are, but they could have been REALLY cool if they held something inside.
The R2-D2 from the 1997 Taco Bell promo is probably my least favorite of that set. Nice looking R2-D2 and Leia was okay, but there wasn't much to it to make it stand out. Best thing about it was the lenticular card. That promo I dug the Magic Cube and Floating Cloud City. I think I'm a little more accepting of these McD figures because the exaggerated "Super D-like" animated style makes them stand out a little more (aka interesting) than if they were portrayed "realistic looking" like the Taco Bell R2.

I missed out on most of the McD bobble heads and and all of the BK ROTS toys I really regret it now.:cry:
The BK ROTS stuff, for the most part, wasn't tough to get as long as you figured out what day they usually got a truck in with their weekly food/toy shipment (which most BKs and McDs employees will actually provide you with if you bother to ask). Just call them up on the phone to confirm that said week's new toys did indeed come in before you head down there. Only hard one to get for those BK promos were the two Vaders (as they were intentionally made chase figures). First Vader came only 5 per case and the second Vader came only 4 per case (a case being 200 toys). Solved that problem though by going at 5:30 AM/6:00 AM when the truck arrived.

That McD Bobble Head set though was a hodge podge mess in terms to what was available and when. Never could lock it down. Seemed like every McD was on a completely different figure from one another on a "day to day" basis. Glad the trick I learned from the regular "happy meal toy collectors" (they collect every toy promo simply because they are happy meal toys) allowed me to get the whole set at one time. Otherwise getting a complete set would of likely driven me insane (if I'm not there yet ;)). Just wished that crusty manager hadn't thrown a wrench in my plans to use the trick this time. Would of had all 8 toys for this promo already and not have to worry about it.

Lord Malakite
03-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Picked up Darth Vader (#5) and the Millennium Falcon (#6) yesterday, so I'm now 3/4 of the way done.

sonofsokol
03-10-2010, 02:44 PM
I keep striking out on the Jedi Star Fighter. I've tried 3 other times and its either been out or they haven't been willing to go back and find it for me. If anybody gets an extra and would like to sell it, I'd be happy to pay shipping plus whatever you paid for it. I'd even throw in enough extra for a hot fudge sundae and 2 pies for your trouble....big spender, I know.:D

figrin bran
03-12-2010, 12:27 AM
I keep striking out on the Jedi Star Fighter. I've tried 3 other times and its either been out or they haven't been willing to go back and find it for me. If anybody gets an extra and would like to sell it, I'd be happy to pay shipping plus whatever you paid for it. I'd even throw in enough extra for a hot fudge sundae and 2 pies for your trouble....big spender, I know.:D

I'll keep you in mind if I find anymore JSF's.

Thus far I have Anakin, JSF and Yoda.

sonofsokol
03-12-2010, 01:14 AM
^^^
Thanks! I have a spare Vader figure if you would be interested.

Lord Malakite
03-12-2010, 01:20 AM
Picked up the final 2 toys tonight, R2-D2 (#7) and the X-Wing Starfighter (#8), so my set of 8 is now complete. Must say I'm not too impressed with the R2s that I've seen, very sloppily painted when compared to the other figures and the vehicles.

figrin bran
03-13-2010, 09:50 PM
I got Vader today. Talk about not going in sequence!

sonofsokol
03-15-2010, 08:13 PM
I finally got the Jedi Starfighter!!! I had to walk with the lady out to the display to point out which one I wanted, but I finally completed the set. :D

figrin bran
03-16-2010, 02:13 AM
I got R2 yesterday. I've completed the characters subset and since I'm not that keen on the vehicles, I just may end my trips to McD's.

Lord Malakite
03-16-2010, 03:48 AM
I've completed the characters subset and since I'm not that keen on the vehicles, I just may end my trips to McD's.
If you do decide to get the rest of the vehicles figrin I'd say you got at least till the 26th of March to accomplish the goal. I imagine on that day they'll switch to the next promo (How to Train Your Dragon) as 1) that date is around the same time as that movie's theatrical release and 2) that date is exactly the end of the "4th week" of SW/iCarly toys (which fits the "2 toys of each SW/iCarly" per case pattern, you know, if they weren't speeding through multiple weekly cases in a single week).

OC47150
03-18-2010, 08:01 PM
I've bought two of the toys outright ($1.27 each) at McD's, and a friend gave me two more. I do want to get the gunship, since it's my current fave vehicle.

Lord Malakite
03-20-2010, 05:20 AM
Looks like the SW/iCarly toy promo is "officially" over. They began the How to Train Your Dragon toy promotion yesterday (March 19th). If anyone is still looking for SW stuff though you probably have a little time left. Just because the SW promo itself is over doesn't mean the SW toys are entirely gone. There are usually some leftovers for a few days/weeks after each toy promo. Just have to ask if they'll check.

DarkArtist
03-21-2010, 10:34 AM
my wife got me Yoda the other day... he's currently hanging out on my desk at work

Bel-Cam Jos
03-21-2010, 04:31 PM
I went inside to order, asked for a Star Wars hamburger Happy Meal (and the cashier still asked me "boy or girl" :notlistening: ), and got an Anakin toy. To steal a company's slogan, when it comes to collecting these toys, I think "now I'm done."

JetsAndHeels
03-21-2010, 05:33 PM
I got 2 Vaders yesterday. He was the main one I wanted.

I think I have them all now though except for Yoda.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Luckily a McDonald's I went to yesterday still had some of the SW stuff, so I got the X-wing, thus completing the collection.

JetsAndHeels
03-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Picked up Yoda earlier this evening, completing my set.

OC47150
03-30-2010, 09:50 PM
Didn't get back in time to get the gunship. Curse my luck! :mad:

Lord Malakite
03-31-2010, 05:59 AM
Well, you do have a few potential choices to get it still.

First, you could go to a few McDonald's in your area (preferably when they aren't busy with the breakfast, lunch, or dinner rush times). Ask if they have any leftover SW toys still in back despite being on the new toy promo and if they will see if they have the Republic Gunship (or if you prefer say "SW toy #4", since it is usually easier for them to remember the happy meal toy number than the toy name). There is no guarantee this will work, but usually when they aren't "busy" with waiting customers most employees and even managers are decent enough to check in back (and occasionally you do indeed get lucky and they will still have the toy you are looking for). Since the SW promo just ended within the last week or 2 its still recent, so the they could still have it. Especially if you find a McDonald's in an area that doesn't see a lot of heavy business.

If that doesn't work you could check at the various SW toy collecting websites/forums (like here) to see if someone will trade/sell you one if they have an extra.

You can also choose to just "bite the bullet" and get it off of ebay.

sonofsokol
03-31-2010, 11:42 AM

I think I might have an spare loose one if you are interested. I can't imagine it would cost more than a couple dollars to ship... let me know and I'll double check my stash my son's stash

OC47150
03-31-2010, 08:59 PM
I think I might have an spare loose one if you are interested. I can't imagine it would cost more than a couple dollars to ship... let me know and I'll double check my stash my son's stash

I appreciate that, Sonofsokol. Drop me a PM.

El Chuxter
04-27-2010, 10:24 PM
If they do this again, anyone in Santa Clara County is SOL. :(

sith_killer_99
04-27-2010, 11:28 PM

Santa Clara County.:laugh:

Lord Malakite
04-27-2010, 11:36 PM
Why is that?

El Chuxter
04-27-2010, 11:38 PM
They've been banned. :(

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100427/ap_on_re_us/us_fast_food_freebies;_ylt=AjCN1G_03ye2QkvDpq9JWxy s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNwbXVsdjdnBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwNDI 3L3VzX2Zhc3RfZm9vZF9mcmVlYmllcwRjY29kZQNtb3N0cG9wd WxhcgRjcG9zAzkEcG9zAzYEcHQDaG9tZV9jb2tlBHNlYwN5bl9 oZWFkbGluZV9saXN0BHNsawN1bi1oYXBweW1lYWw-#mwpphu-container

Lord Malakite
04-28-2010, 12:02 AM
They've been banned. :(
Maybe, maybe not. I'd have to see the specifics of the ordinance itself, but from the news story you posted it sounds like the ban only makes it so the toys can't be given away for "free" anymore with food/kid's meals. It doesn't mention anything about not being able to just flat out buy the toy without food though (aka a possible loophole).

sith_killer_99
04-28-2010, 03:25 AM
It's funny because it's SANTA Clara County, get it Santa, like Santa Claus.

I can see the headlines now....

"Santa Bans Toys"

"Santa Bans Free Toys, Fears Competition"

"Santa Bans Free Toys, Fears Elf Layoffs"

:laugh:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-29-2010, 04:06 PM
Well, then username SantaClaraCounty shouldn't have posted those spam links here. :banned: