PDA

View Full Version : SSG's Monthly Hasbro Q&A - February 3rd

JediTricks
02-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Huge news about the EU wave going exclusive in Hasbro's answers to SSG questions for February 3rd, 2010.

Thanks again to Hasbro for the answers, to all the folks who sent in questions and especially those who voted on them. Here come Hasbro's answers.

Hasbro Q&A for the week of February 3rd, 2010

A brief note to readers before we begin this new year of Q&A: Hasbro has changed the format to 2 questions 12 times a year per outlet.

SSG: Lightsaber Launching R2-D2, one of the little guy's coolest moments. The most recent figure wasn't very good, and was 11 years ago. We understand that safety regulations prohibit a spring-loaded projectile from being under 3 inches, so how about a few compromises instead? How about an R2 that can have a removable panel and can hold just the ROTJ Luke saber hilt (in the film it's facing upwards anyway so the blade would be sticking out the top), and if you still must have the gimmick, it can be replaced with a full-length Luke saber with blade that goes all the way through the body and a hole out the bottom and fires that way. R2 wasn't using his middle leg in the scene but kids will hold the figure during play so it doesn't matter that the blade goes past his feet. This would also be a great excuse to finally get a nice new Luke ROTJ lightsaber accessory out after 13 years of suffering imitations. So how about it, isn't it time we get a decent Lightsaber Launching R2-D2?

Hasbro: We agree and intend to take a new approach to an EpVI R2-D2 soon. However, because of the limitations you outline, he won't be a lightsaber-launching figure but instead have a hilt that can be hidden inside his dome.

SSG: In a recent answer, Hasbro revealed that the Spring 2010 EU wave will be the only group of non-Clone Wars new figures until the Fall. Granted, we have seen gaps in the line before - most recently in the break between The Force Unleashed wave in Spring 2008 and the ROTJ wave in July 2008 - but this news has many collectors worried. With the Legacy line apparently in poor shape, is it the wisest idea to put it on hiatus for over 2 quarters this year? Granted, we'll still have The Clone Wars figures to look forward to, but such a pause might cause even more movie-based collectors to walk away and further undermine the line, perhaps into completely folding. Hasbro stated recently "We are working hard to get [collectors who have left the line] back, and we think that what we have lined up next year will be our best attempt." We know full details will be revealed at Toy Fair so we won't ask specifics, but can collectors look forward to some movie-based products in those lean 6 to 8 months while the basic Legacy-style line is on hiatus, enough stuff to hold their interest? And is it too late to get out a repaint wave, perhaps with some of those already-tooled variant figures like the Hoth Trooper, Imperial Scanning Crew, and Utai, perhaps some tooled but canceled Comic Pack figures, maybe even some kitbashes like Han Solo head on an Imperial body, to keep collectors interested during the break?

Hasbro: There is literally nothing that can be done to get more figures to retail sooner. It's not the way we want it; ideally, new waves would flow in to retail every 6-8 weeks like clockwork. We originally set out to have more figures after the EU wave, but it became apparent that we would never get to them so they became the Toys 'R Us exclusive multi-packs. Legacy sales have been so far off the mark - and retails have enough inventory - that even the EU wave has become a Toys 'R Us exclusive in May, with some online retailers having access to the last of the run in June. Once we start fresh with Vintage, we will be able to manage the line to the new collector baseline and make tight releases to keep waves flowing regularly.
- -

And our questions at CollectionStation.com (http://www.collectionstation.com/groups/view/Star-Wars/Official-Hasbro-Q-A-2310_72):

With the new deluxe vehicle assortment consistent of the ARC-170 repaint and the Clone Wars Y-wing, there seems to be a focus on raising prices in the line across the board, though that scale's jump from $30 to $60+ is especially noteworthy. Basic figures are $8 or more now, comic packs have gone up $4, battle packs and vehicles are going up around $5, deluxe figure & vehicle packs are a pricey $16+, the last dribs and drabs of Titanium Series are over $8, Force FX sabers have gone up $20, and exclusives pricing is all over the map. Clearly, the economic turmoil over the last few years has hit the Hasbro Star Wars brand exceptionally hard, but don't these prices seem harder and harder to justify for both hardcore and casual collectors? We know you are trying to do your best to keep the line alive, but right now collectors are very concerned about the brand's future, and they see the price-hikes as a major culprit to its possible downfall. Raising prices is a downward spiral, isn't there some way to better split the costs hikes between customers and profit margins, before there are virtually no customers left to eke profit margins out of and the line folds?
Will we ever get more multipacks from the Star Wars: Battlefront series? There are Original Trilogy factions that still need to be boxed up, and they'd have tons of cross-consumer interest from gamers to army building potential to kids who want a battle in a box, and just OT fans in general. Most of the figures exist as it is, with only the Rebel Smuggler, and the Rebel Sniper who could be retooled based on existing Leia figures, there are tons of variations from Hoth and Endor, and then there's also the Ep 2-era clones that show up in Battlefront 1 and 2 that could tie in with The Clone Wars. So, any chance of seeing anything more like this?

JediTricks
02-03-2010, 02:50 PM
I'm thrilled to hear about a new sail barge R2 coming out.

Shocked, SHOCKED about the EU wave though. I started a thread just for that discussion.

Old Fossil
02-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Man, really sorry to hear that about the EU wave. I was actually looking forward to a few of those figures.

I wonder how this will affect retailers' ordering the new Vintage SKU for the fall... that is, will they want to chance it with another, non-CW or Saga Legends line, given what appears to have been a fairly poor performance from Legacy?

This is bad news for everybody.:upset:

Ando
02-03-2010, 03:07 PM
The only good news I can see in this (for me) would be that with the GLUT of product in the channels, I may actually see some of the figures that I kinda wanted.

I don't make regular toy runs anymore and have all but stopped buying figures unless I see 5-10 at a time that I want, so maybe I will be able to catch up and grab some of them before they reset the line with the Vintage line (which I am looking forward to and was hoping they would eventually use the Vintage style card again for the main line figures).

But with the selection I am seeing right now in Portland and with my scaled back trips to the stores (and I don't even bother with Saturday mornings anymore), I am not holding my breath.

JediTricks
02-03-2010, 03:13 PM
CS questions have been added.

I'm glad to hear we're getting another Battlefront pack.

Their answer about price increases has me further worried, seems like the line really is on the bubble right now.

El Chuxter
02-03-2010, 03:28 PM
I still can't figure this out... Everywhere I go, they have a very small number of Legacy figures, a large number of Legends, and tons of Clone Wars. One Target is an exception, with about the same number of Legacy and Legends. Yet they keep telling us that that particular line is doing poorly, and, it seems, the situation is worse with every Q&A. I'm not saying that they're lying, but I just do not get it.

JediTricks
02-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Retailers have no faith in unproven figures, they let Saga Legends choke off their pegs for Legacy, then claim they have no room for Legacy. Downward spiral. SL are proven figures with tooling that is already paid for, it's a boon for both Hasbro and the retailers, but it's the very same doom & gloom we predicted it would be years ago.

El Chuxter
02-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Ahh... I failed to take into account the fact that the retail chains have folks doing the ordering who have absolutely no knowledge of collectors or action figures. :) You'd think one of the chains might have someone who can figure out that that "proven" means "everyone's already got it" and "unproven" means "no one has it so everyone needs it."

JediTricks
02-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Actually, the big retailers' buyers DO seem to know us pretty well, it's just that we're not a particularly powerful buying audience and they're focused more on kid sales since those have a lot more potential. But the buyers actually have shown in the past few years that they aren't as out of touch as we'd like to believe. I can't cite a particular instance for example right now, I can feel a few trying to push through my brain but they're not quite making it through.

El Chuxter
02-03-2010, 04:15 PM
The kids do have more potential in one regard, since they grow out of collecting and younger kids take their place, needing that same Darth Vader figure again. However, collectors typically have more disposable income to spend on toys and will keep buying until they can't afford it or the company really screws them over. It always seems short-sighted to not focus on both, since it doesn't have to be an either-or proposition.

JediTricks
02-03-2010, 04:41 PM
The problem is, out of a country of 300 million, there are maybe between 25k and 100k collectors. For a national retailer, that's a ridiculously small audience to try to cater to, and then it's an incredibly picky one to boot. Meanwhile, there's probably 1,000 times as many kids in the country as collectors, they all have disposable income now, their families want to get them gifts and Star Wars is a brand that is incredibly well-known. Kids aren't picky and they lose/break/trade toys that need replacing. It's not hard to see why we collectors aren't at the forefront of the retail buyers' thoughts, but again, they do think about us - we get cool stuff with their participation, they support stuff like the AT-ST, the new TIE Fighter, Galactic Heroes, and the BMF. Plus, their complaints about balancing the line between casual and hardcore collecting interests makes sure the line isn't flooded with Padmes and such so it folds completely.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Well, the news is definitely mixed. I'm excited for a new lightsaber R2-D2, and thrilled about more Battlefront figures, but the doom and gloom of the other answers is definitely worrisome. They say they'll try to adjust to the new collector baseline in the fall, but didn't they already try that and fail miserably with the recent Legacy figures? Then again, as Chux said, it's not a problem across the board; some Targets still have too many Malakilis and Girans, but I've hardly seen the ESB wave at all. I'm inclined to get angry with sideline collectors who like the product but aren't pulling the trigger, but it's their money and they're perfectly free to do what they want with it. Hasbro's current and recent product is the best they've ever done and not enough people are seeing that, causing everyone to suffer. In short: it sucks.

Darth Jax
02-03-2010, 07:40 PM
if vintage/legacy fail at retail i doubt hasbro will see any reason to continue producing those figures and selling them through HTS. retail could still get CW and legends, while HTS could sell more collector friendly figures.

morpheus282
02-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Here's all I have to say:

Legacy sales have been so far off the mark - and retails have enough inventory - that even the EU wave has become a Toys 'R Us exclusive in May, with some online retailers having access to the last of the run in June

If I could find 'em, I'd buy 'em. If retailers have 'em, why won't they put them on the pegs!!!!!

Mad Slanted Powers
02-03-2010, 10:15 PM
The only good news I can see in this (for me) would be that with the GLUT of product in the channels, I may actually see some of the figures that I kinda wanted.That's kind of what I'm hoping for. Since the ANH wave, I've not found much. I haven't seen the ROTS wave. The ESB wave must have been here, because I have Willrow Hood, and I've seen Plo Koon and Agen Kolar with HK-50 pieces. I bought the Plo Koon, but should probably return him because I want the one with the YVH-1 piece.

If the EU wave is going to be TRU only, then I'll have to find it online. Nearest TRU is Everett.

El Chuxter
02-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Y'know... if there's a glut of product in the channels, there's a good chance we won't see any of it in large numbers until it's half price at Marshalls or TJMaxx or Ross next year. (That's exactly what they said about some of the GIJoe stuff last spring. The fifth DVD set, in particular, never really hit regular retail channels, and wound up at Marshalls toward the end of last year.)

Darth Jax
02-03-2010, 10:54 PM
Y'know... if there's a glut of product in the channels, there's a good chance we won't see any of it in large numbers until it's half price at Marshalls or TJMaxx or Ross next year. (That's exactly what they said about some of the GIJoe stuff last spring. The fifth DVD set, in particular, never really hit regular retail channels, and wound up at Marshalls toward the end of last year.)

but it's not hasbro's fault that there isn't product on the shelves - they worked out their distribution problems (they blame it on the retailers if i remember the past Q&A's correctly).

El Chuxter
02-03-2010, 11:08 PM
I'm not blaming Hasbro. But if the stuff sits around long enough, the stores see it as "last season's garbage," and get rid of it, selling it to closeout stores. (Witness the massive number of TRU exclusives from almost all lines that wind up at Ross six months later. I'm just surprised I've never seen the Lars homestead for $15 at Ross.)

bigbarada
02-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Some awesome news for Chukha-Trok fans! (which is probably just Chux and myself, but still.....)

From http://droidsandewoks.weebly.com/

2) In the TV movie Ewoks: Caravan of Courage, there are a couple really interesting looking Ewoks in the film named Chukha-Trok and Kaink. Their cool and unique costume designs seem like they would make for some really great Ewok action figures. Are you aware of these characters, and if so do they stand a chance of finding their way into the action figure lineup someday?

Hasbro: We are aware of these characters, and we have tried to get Chuka-Trok into the lineup in a pack we were working on. Even though a sculpt was completed, that pack has since been put by the wayside. Still, we remain committed to trying to get more great Ewoks out there and we are convinced that one day Chukha-Trok will make it out.

:love::love::love::love:

If the sculpting is already completed, (did you hear that? THE SCULPTING IS ALREADY COMPLETED!) then chances are good that we might see him released one day soon.

Can you imaging Chukha-Trok sold on a vintage style card? I think I would pee myself if I saw that, then proceed to buy up every one I found and not even care that I was standing at the Walmart register with a cart full of Ewok toys and a giant wet spot running down my leg.

El Chuxter
02-04-2010, 12:26 AM
Even the thought of it made me pee myself. :D

I have to wonder--this was for a pack, and at least Chukha-Trok's sculpt was done. What pack? Were there other characters, like maybe Teek or Cindel or Noa?

But, really, regardless, that he's already been sculpted and they have high hopes for him being made, that's awesome news!

Droid
02-04-2010, 11:21 AM
One of the other Q&A sites said that a Star Tours non-droid exclusive would be announced and I am betting it is Teek.

RENDAR LIVES
02-04-2010, 11:31 AM
I almost hope it does fold. I mean I love the look of the new Vintage figres so far but I feel like too much doesn't add up. What does the status of EU or Legacy/Vintage have to say about the Fans Choice Poll? Are they not going to make those figures because of the sagging sales? Mixing SL with Vintage this fall plus having SL in it's own line are just gonna leave more on the pegs.

I have four kids. I cannot speak for every parent but I spend more on myself than my kids. They have more toys than they even know what to do with and they usually break them or lode them in weeks. My daughter loves bikini Leia (as she calls it) and barely ever plays with her unless I remind her. My sons like video games and Bakugan and everything inbetween. Kids don't buy whole lines. They dabble in everything. So I believe regardless of anything Hasbro says, that us collectors make up a much bigger portion than stated.

However there are hardcore fans that hate anything new much like Geewoners for Transformers. Those people that gripe about things not being the same as 20 or 30 years ago no matter how improved it is, are the stingy uber casual people who wouldn't support a line even if it was specifically catered to them.

I gotta toot my own horn about that R2-D2 though. I knew a saber hilt would be more practical than some gimmick and I am oh so happy! :love:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Yoda's News (http://www.yodasnews.com/) had this:

YN: I love the OTC figures you've been doing lately, specifically the cantina aliens. Keep up the good work. I display the new stuff and some vintage Kenner stuff as well in my collection. Recently I was comparing my robust collection of modern cantina aliens to the 5 (Blue Snaggletooth) vintage cantina figures and realized how sorry a lot they are. I would love to fill out the old Kenner cantina playset with some more figures. To that end, do you think it would ever be possible to produce new "Kenner" style figures (5 points of articulation) of some different cantina aliens as either a pack in to a battle pack or a mail away figure? I'd love to see your take on what Dr. Evazon or Brainiac would have looked like if they actually were produced in the original Kenner run with some 70's deco. I know that this would mostly be collector focused and that it could be argued that figures like Wuher and Dr. Evazon could already be considered in that style in their current form but they're not really the same. Give it some consideration.

Hasbro: We have looked at this numerous times over the past couple of years, and have decided that we would move forward with the new sculpting, deco, and articulation, rather than look back. The reason is that there are a lot of diverse collecting interests in Star Wars, but we need to keep focused on the heart and soul of collector demand, which is the realistic-style modern aesthetic. There will be one important exception to this that we will announce officially at Toy Fare in a couple weeks, but there will not be any return to the simpler style of figures we grew up with.
Can you say "Rocket-Firing Boba Fett"? Yeah, I know you can. :D

mabudonicus
02-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Hmm I thought Hasbro said in another answer in this same round that reduced articulation etc might be a reality in the line going forward...
:beard: Iso&Baws&Topes
I am pretty sure that is the case

Devo
02-05-2010, 02:02 AM
Yoda's News[/URL] had this:

Anyone else think that was a bit of an oddball question to ask and was predestined to get the answer that it did?

Why on earth would someone want to buy a figure that was deliberately outdated?

DarkJedi5
02-05-2010, 02:31 AM
Yeah, I thought that was a really silly question. There's no way I would buy a figure that was recently made (and well made) like Brainiac made to look like a figure from 1977. That would only suit a small number of collectors and wouldn't be worth Hasbro's effort.

bigbarada
02-05-2010, 03:45 AM
Well, I don't think it is a silly thing for fans to want, but it was probably a silly question to ask Hasbro.

It's a cool idea, but it's not something that I want Hasbro to be spending their time on. Deliberately making figures that look like they were released 25-30 years ago would be better suited for small time customizers.

Darth Jax
02-05-2010, 08:22 AM
when i first heard the question i thought it was pretty cool. then i looked at a vintage figure and looked at it's modern counterpart and realized that what was good enough for my childhood is a pretty basic lump of plastic and is light years behind the figures being released now. there's no way i'd buy anything like that.

JediTricks
02-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Just posted the other sites round up:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=2676

El Chuxter
02-07-2010, 05:46 PM
YodasNews.com: The Deena Shan in Imperial uniform disguise variant (with the sculpted hair bun) was pretty difficult to find. While it would seem unlikely to ever be reissued in a comic pack at this point, would it be possible to consider adding this figure when putting together an Imperial troop builder battle pack? Or even just changing the hair color so that we could have this sculpt?
Hasbro: It's unlikely that we would issue the female trooper again unless there was a specific storyline context given, since any female Imperials remain a strictly an EU-based concept. Our focus for the next couple of years will be on the movies with only occasional EU forays, so we don't see this one coming back out for a long while, if ever.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!! That's insane! I've seen so many of that pig terd 2-pack, I couldn't count them. Where on Earth was it rare?

JediTricks
02-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!! That's insane! I've seen so many of that pig terd 2-pack, I couldn't count them. Where on Earth was it rare?
Mars. ;)

That one struck me as a total WTF, 'cause female imps are usually hot sellers anyway, look at Juno Eclipse - you still can, she's also still warming pegs around here several years later.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-07-2010, 05:58 PM
They were talking about the second version of the set - the first version, which pegwarmed more than the second, it seems, featured the Juno Eclipse body and head, with the hair pulled back into a small pony tail. The second version had a different head sculpt created specifically for Deena Shan and had a much larger bun; it was actually the version used in the photography.

DarkJedi5
02-07-2010, 06:05 PM

They were talking about the second version of the set - the first version, which pegwarmed more than the second, it seems, featured the Juno Eclipse body and head, with the hair pulled back into a small pony tail. The second version had a different head sculpt created specifically for Deena Shan and had a much larger bun; it was actually the version used in the photography.

Yeah, so if you see the 2nd version PM me cause I looked high and low and never saw it.

El Chuxter
02-07-2010, 06:36 PM
I didn't realize there were two. So there are actually three stupid comic packs with Luke and Deena, if you count the variation. I can't swear to it, since I never looked closely, but I'm pretty sure several of the Imperial Deenas I saw had heads that were unique from the Juno Eclipse head.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-07-2010, 07:09 PM
I didn't realize there were two. So there are actually three stupid comic packs with Luke and Deena, if you count the variation. I can't swear to it, since I never looked closely, but I'm pretty sure several of the Imperial Deenas I saw had heads that were unique from the Juno Eclipse head.
You'd actually have to look closely to notice a difference, at least while it's still in the packaging. For reference, here (http://www.rebelscum.com/TAC/TACcomic14V13.jpg) are the two Deenas and here (http://www.rebelscum.com/TAC/TAC0815juno2.jpg) is Juno.

JediTricks
02-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Oh yeah, I had forgotten. I think the problem is that the first one sold poorly, so why reorder it?