PDA

View Full Version : The People vs George Lucas

phil3000
02-05-2010, 07:14 AM
Hello everyone!

THIS IS THE NEWS YOU'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR!

Many of you will have heard of 'The People vs George Lucas', the feature documentary that aims to look into Star Wars fans feelings and perceptions of one of the most powerful producers in the industry, Mr G. Lucas. A mere mortal who once could do no wrong (ignoring Howard the Duck granted), has in recent years been mauled by many members of his once feverant fanbase, and yet equally there are those who are forever faithful, seemingly no matter how many 'special edition' revisioned boxsets are released. Neither in favour of Lucas, or directly against him 'The People vs George Lucas', asked why?

Well, we're extremely proud to announce that after 2 1/2 years of intense production, 63,686 frequent flier miles, 634 hours of footage, 14TB of drive space, 126 interviews, 719 fan submissions, and countless white nights, THE PEOPLE vs. GEORGE LUCAS will finally world premiere, fresh off the editing press, at the prestigious South by Southwest (SXSW) Film Festival in Austin, Texas (March 12th to March 21st 2010)! And if that's not good enough for you, they included our film in their prestigious Spotlight Premiere section, alongside the latest releases from Steven Soderbergh, Michel Gondry, Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Shane Meadows! We're truly humbled.

Interested? If so, go check out our new website (http://www.peoplevsgeorge.com/). You'll see some changes there, including a brand-new navigation page, which will give you access to our new pre-release trailer. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hAkwcHEAo8)

Our brand-new official poster is also available for download under our Press Kit tab, where you'll also find a folder of stills and sketches from the film there. So please tell your friends, blog about us, mention us in forums, join us on Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, etc.

We hope to see many of you in Austin next month, of course. Be sure to check the SXSW website (http://www.sxsw.com/) for updates on screenings, how to purchase tickets, etc. And if Austin's a little too far, far away for you, please be patient with us. Have movie. Will travel.

Thanks to all!! This movie, truly, is for you! :D

Rocketboy
02-05-2010, 09:43 AM
"The Prequels sucked!"
"George Lucas raped my childhood!"
"Jar Jar is the worst thing ever!"

Boo-hoo.
It's been 11 years - Change the f*cking record.

pbarnard
02-05-2010, 10:57 AM
"The Prequels sucked!"

Boo-hoo.

It's too late for their mommy's to hug them, so I suggest therapy, that is if they have a health plan. :yes:

sith_killer_99
02-05-2010, 03:15 PM
I suggest therapy, that is if they have a health plan. :yes:

My health plan doesn't include therapy, that's because I am on the men's plan!:laugh:

JimJamBonds
02-06-2010, 04:58 PM
"The Prequels sucked!"

Boo-hoo.

True dat RB!

Beast
02-06-2010, 05:20 PM
"The Prequels sucked!"

Boo-hoo.
Word. Especially since the Prequels were awesome. Better than the OT.

You'd think people who grew up into cranky jaded adults would also grow up and quit whining about it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-06-2010, 09:35 PM
I thought about submitting a pro-Lucas thing into this movie, but I never got around to it and now I'm not sure I even want to see it. I know my opinions and I know why other people have theirs. I'm not sure I need to rehash it again.

2-1B
02-07-2010, 11:14 AM
First, I'll say this is definitely an interesting premise...clearly there has been division in the ranks of SW fandom over the years. So on that note, I find this interesting.

Second, I'll echo what several of you have already said here - there can't be anything involved in this picture that hasn't been disected within the media (especially the internet :p) over the last 13+ years (yeah TPM was in 1999 but the OT tweaks started getting coverage in 1996) so it will be a complete rehash for me.

The only reason I would feel compelled to watch this is if George Lucas himself was interviewed in depth to give his exact reasons for doing many of the things that ticked people off).

Just for the record, I am not writing this as pro-Lucas or anti-Lucas. Nor am I pro-prequels or anti-prequels. I am a fan of both trilogies and I find a lot to like in both of them.

phil3000
02-08-2010, 05:56 AM
Thanks 2-1B, we appreciate your lack of bias, indeed negativity nor positivity; similarly it is the aim of PvsG to facilitate an uneuqally biased debate - some will be in favour and some against Lucas' moves and motives, the final 'result' will be seen in the final cut.

The director feels he can add something to the (as noted by yourself) already lengthy debate and is an issue that would benefit from some nice doco grounding after the many years of forum debate, i.e. arguments for and against set up nice and clearly. So hopefully the finished will do just that :o)

Thanks again,

PvsG team

Rocketboy
02-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks 2-1B, we appreciate your lack of bias, indeed negativity nor positivity; similarly it is the aim of PvsG to facilitate an uneuqally biased debate - some will be in favour and some against Lucas' moves and motives, the final 'result' will be seen in the final cut.
The director feels he can add something to the (as noted by yourself) already lengthy debate and is an issue that would benefit from some nice doco grounding after the many years of forum debate, i.e. arguments for and against set up nice and clearly. So hopefully the finished will do just that :o)And I hope it does, but based on the past 11 years, I can't help but be skeptical. Again this may be based on the past 11 years, but to me the trailers feel slanted; they felt like this is going to turn into a Lucas bash-fest with the same weak, over repeated arguments coming from the haters.

I'm not trying to start another debate here, but I just don't see why these haters can't just let it go. There are people out there that claim to hate the Prequels, yet continue to buy Prequel based movie tickets, toys, books, comics, DVDs, video games, etc. Its so very simple - if you don't like it, don't support it. Speak with your wallet.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how you can bring anything new to the table. This argument has been beaten to death, then beaten some more.

phil3000
02-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks Rocketboy, seriously we value everyones opinion, and you are definately correct in suggesting the debate has been well beaten around in the last decade or so. Thankyou too for your positive sentiment, i sense you wish us well, which in the end is all we can ask :thumbsup:

pbarnard
02-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Its so very simple - if you don't like it, don't support it. Speak with your wallet.

I don't understand when my wallet speaks. It's Italian leather. I don't speak Italian. :yes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-14-2010, 11:17 PM
I finally ended up seeing this today. It was playing at the film festival here in town, and I had free press tickets, so what the hell.

My friends found it interesting, but then again, they haven't spent every day talking about it for the last 13 years. It's a relatively good encapsulation of the fans' disappointment with SW as of late, but if you've been following any of it, it's not really new information. It's assembled well, but as Rocketboy predicted, it mostly falls on the negative side of the argument (with only a few quick positive remarks as rebuttal for most topics). Far too often, it resorts to depicting George as a greedy businessman who doesn't care about film and only ever makes bad decisions. It mostly goes over the Han Shot First thing, the Jabba scene, the anticipation and disappointment with TPM, how the fans re-edited it, Jar Jar, midi-chlorians (without a single positive thing to say about them), the merchandise (with only one quick mention of how people don't have to buy it), and how Lucas hasn't done anything else since SW came along. So yes, it's mostly disillusioned fanboys crying about how George owes them something. Some artists (like Neil Gaiman) seemed to be on George's side, which was nice to see. The only people they interviewed involved with SW were David Prowse and Gary Kurtz - neither of whom are exactly on the Lucasfilm Christmas card list. And the only people in the film who like the prequels are toddlers. It's insulting.

So if you're looking for an actual, two-sided, even-handed discussion, this isn't it. If you've been living under a rock for the last 33 years, then this is for you.

El Chuxter
11-14-2010, 11:37 PM
I know you think I hate George Lucas, but even Charles Dickens needed an editor and produced some sloppy work when he didn't have one.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-14-2010, 11:53 PM
I know you think I hate George Lucas, but even Charles Dickens needed an editor and produced some sloppy work when he didn't have one.
Sure, but that's not the issue here. If they make a movie called "The People vs. Charles Dickens," say it's going to be a two-sided, even-handed debate, and then proceed to trash his work mainly from one point of view, then it would also be unfair.

And I know you don't hate GL. The people in the film, for the most part, do. (I'm assuming you're not in the film.)

El Chuxter
11-15-2010, 01:30 AM
Nah, I'm camera-shy. ;)

Rocketboy
11-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Sounds about as two-sided as a Michael Moore documentary (but far less entertaining).
:D

And what did we all learn from this?
I am always right.

oyes.
:thumbsup:

Mister Roboto
11-15-2010, 09:05 AM
Word. Especially since the Prequels were awesome. Better than the OT.

You'd think people who grew up into cranky jaded adults would also grow up and quit whining about it.

Better than the OT? Seriously? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that before.

I finally ended up seeing this today. It was playing at the film festival here in town, and I had free press tickets, so what the hell.

My friends found it interesting, but then again, they haven't spent every day talking about it for the last 13 years. It's a relatively good encapsulation of the fans' disappointment with SW as of late, but if you've been following any of it, it's not really new information. It's assembled well, but as Rocketboy predicted, it mostly falls on the negative side of the argument (with only a few quick positive remarks as rebuttal for most topics). Far too often, it resorts to depicting George as a greedy businessman who doesn't care about film and only ever makes bad decisions. It mostly goes over the Han Shot First thing, the Jabba scene, the anticipation and disappointment with TPM, how the fans re-edited it, Jar Jar, midi-chlorians (without a single positive thing to say about them), the merchandise (with only one quick mention of how people don't have to buy it), and how Lucas hasn't done anything else since SW came along. So yes, it's mostly disillusioned fanboys crying about how George owes them something. Some artists (like Neil Gaiman) seemed to be on George's side, which was nice to see. The only people they interviewed involved with SW were David Prowse and Gary Kurtz - neither of whom are exactly on the Lucasfilm Christmas card list. And the only people in the film who like the prequels are toddlers. It's insulting.

So if you're looking for an actual, two-sided, even-handed discussion, this isn't it. If you've been living under a rock for the last 33 years, then this is for you.

Ok, go ahead. Say something positive about midi-chlorians. I'd like to hear it.

I'm not fan of the prequels, but I don't think I'd enjoy a "documentary" about fanboys complaining about Star Wars. I get enough of that reading the message boards. Nothing can be said to make me suddenly enjoy the prequels. The prequels are what they are and there is nothing I can do about it. They aren't going to change...unless George Lucas needs more money. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

But those of you who think the prequels are good are wrong. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Ok, go ahead. Say something positive about midi-chlorians. I'd like to hear it.
*They tie into and reinforce the duality/symbiosis theme present throughout TPM (Jedi/Sith, master/apprentice, Sidious/Palpatine, Amidala/Padmé, Naboo/Gungans)
*They represent a different aspect of the Force, building on (and not destroying) what was mentioned before
*They relate to Anakin's possible conception, however subtly, in ROTS
*They could show how the Jedi have lost touch with their spirituality
*They reinforce that Anakin is incredibly strong in the Force aside from just vague feelings and abilities
*They're no different from stories like Harry Potter where people have magical blood that makes it easier for them to become wizards; they don't necessarily preclude people from being Jedi, just say that it's easier for some than others
*There's evidence to suggest that Lucas had the idea back in 1977, so it's not an example of him having bad ideas in his older age
*They aren't the Force itself, which seems to be what most people think, and why most people don't like them. They're a middleman between Jedi and Force, allowing them to communicate with each other - but they're not the actual Force.

I'm not saying it has to be a midi-chlorian gushfest. I just found it interesting that all the other topics had arguments on the pro side, except for midi-chlorians.

JimJamBonds
11-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Sounds about as two-sided as a Michael Moore documentary (but far less entertaining).
:D

You mean propaganda? lol

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-15-2010, 02:55 PM
*They tie into and reinforce the duality/symbiosis theme present throughout TPM (Jedi/Sith, master/apprentice, Sidious/Palpatine, Amidala/Padmé, Naboo/Gungans)
*They represent a different aspect of the Force, building on (and not destroying) what was mentioned before
*They relate to Anakin's possible conception, however subtly, in ROTS
*They could show how the Jedi have lost touch with their spirituality
*They reinforce that Anakin is incredibly strong in the Force aside from just vague feelings and abilities
*They're no different from stories like Harry Potter where people have magical blood that makes it easier for them to become wizards; they don't necessarily preclude people from being Jedi, just say that it's easier for some than others
*There's evidence to suggest that Lucas had the idea back in 1977, so it's not an example of him having bad ideas in his older age
*They aren't the Force itself, which seems to be what most people think, and why most people don't like them. They're a middleman between Jedi and Force, allowing them to communicate with each other - but they're not the actual Force.

I'm not saying it has to be a midi-chlorian gushfest. I just found it interesting that all the other topics had arguments on the pro side, except for midi-chlorians.

I found that list pretty interesting; I never had a problem with them as I always thought it was interesting to bring in blood into the whole Force mix. I just wish we would have heard more about them, a tad more at best.

I am curious: where is there evidence for this in 1977? And to be safe, I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm actually REALLY curious about this!

Rocketboy
11-15-2010, 08:25 PM
I'm 99.99% sure there was absolutely nothing about midichlorians pre-TPM.
I never had a problem with them.
I did think it was pretty odd at first since it comes out of nowhere, but they served a purpose and that was that.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-15-2010, 10:54 PM
I found that list pretty interesting; I never had a problem with them as I always thought it was interesting to bring in blood into the whole Force mix. I just wish we would have heard more about them, a tad more at best.

I am curious: where is there evidence for this in 1977? And to be safe, I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm actually REALLY curious about this!
It's in the 2007 Making of Star Wars book, as I've mentioned a few times throughout the boards. It seems that the passage is from a 1977 interview, though the language on the part of the author is pretty vague. I thought I typed it up somewhere but couldn't find it when I did a search a few days ago. I'll transcribe it next time I'm home, though.

I'm reasonably sure that it's from '77, but if not, the other points still stand.

phil3000
11-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Hello again!

I’m a member of the production team for ‘The People vs. George Lucas’. Firstly, thanks to all of you who left such positive comments about our film. It sounds like many of you are very keen on seeing it. We’d love to get the film to as many of you as possible; so if you haven’t done so already, please visit our main site www.peoplevsgeorge.com (http://www.peoplevsgeorge.com/) and demand a screening in your local area through the 'Screenings' tab.

While this isn't a guarantee we can get to you, with enough of you behind us and your continued greatly appreciated support we’ll be able to show distributors just where you are and so do our upmost to reach as many of you as possible.

Thanks to all; and remember this movie, truly, is by and for you!

Phil :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
11-17-2010, 09:38 AM
There's a cut-and-paste response if I've ever seen one.

The one person here that actually saw the movie didn't exactly give it a positive review.

phil3000
11-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Hi Rocketboy,

Maybe true. Would you have any interest in seeing our film (http://www.peoplevsgeorge.com/)? Granted i'm biased but it does have a very balanced feel and certainly isn't just a 90min long jab at Lucas or the franchise. Hopefully you'd like it :)

Cheers,

Phil

Rocketboy
11-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Hi Rocketboy,

Maybe true. Would you have any interest in seeing our film (http://www.peoplevsgeorge.com/)? Granted i'm biased but it does have a very balanced feel and certainly isn't just a 90min long jab at Lucas or the franchise. Hopefully you'd like it :)

Cheers,

PhilOnly if you plan on sending me a copy, since it doesn't seem to be screening much (or near me at all).

Qui-Long Gone
11-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Instead of the The People vs George Lucas, I think it should be The People vs Their Impossible Expectations.

I love SW, especially episodes 4-6. I like episodes 1-3 but was disappointed in several story-line choices. They did, however, have some of my favorite SW memories including all things QGJinn, Anakin suited up as Vadar, and the battle of Geonosis. I do wish Lucas had let others direct his films, a formula that seemed to make ESB the strongest of the six movies, but I see why he did it all his way.

2-1B
12-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Hi Rocketboy,

Cheers,

Phil

Phil, not sure if you were among the crew in Chicago at Wizard World this summer, promoting it with the 4x6 postcards but I'm one of the people who passed on paying $10 to see it. I just see no point in re-hashing it to this point...people either enjoy the prequels or they don't like them and have moved on with their lives. Or at least, they should. lol

JabbaJohnL's review is pretty much what I expected your film to be, so I'm glad I didn't spend my time or money on the screening. Maybe I'll watch it on Netflix if they get it.