PDA

View Full Version : The 2010 Winter Olympics

DarthQuack
02-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Can't wait for the games to begin in Vancouver Friday night. :thumbsup:

Plan on having a few family members to enjoy the Opening Ceremonies in HD and have some good food. It's going to be a challenge for these ceremonies to top the ones in Beijing, not that I think they're going to be trying to do it, but should be interesting.

2-1B
02-06-2010, 11:45 AM
I wish they would move this to a different network, so it wouldn't interupt good programming.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Are these the Olympics we finally get moving human targets in the biathlon?

Bel-Cam Jos
02-06-2010, 10:37 PM
I'd have loved to go, being that I may never get to see an Olympics in person, and I have yet to make it to Vancouver (both are dreams of mine), but it doesn't fit my schedule for several reasons. :(

Go, Stephen Colbert Presents Tek Jansen's Superfast Speedskating Force! :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
02-08-2010, 12:22 AM
Ice hockey is the only thing I care to see.

TeeEye7
02-08-2010, 01:06 AM
Ice hockey is the only thing I care to see.

Same here. However, I like the speed skating and down hill skiing events as well. I guess I have a need for speed. I also like biathlon (I guess LBC watches the ghetto version ;)).

DarthQuack
02-08-2010, 09:15 AM
I'm in for all of it....my favorites being....Ski Jumping, Skeleton, Luge, Bobsled.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Same here. However, I like the speed skating and down hill skiing events as well. I guess I have a need for speed. I also like biathlon (I guess LBC watches the ghetto version ;)).

TeeEye knows that the biathlon simply isn't worth watching unless the shooters can hunt the most dangerous game of all. But I'll settle for rabbits or coons instead.

sonofsokol
02-08-2010, 10:09 PM
I went to a few hockey games when the Olympics were here in Salt Lake in 2002. They were a lot of fun. The first game I went to was Belarus vs Finland. I don't think Belarus had any NHL players, but I could be wrong. The Finns dominated the game I think it was like 8 to nothing or something. I also went to see the Czech Republic vs Sweden. My ancestors are from the Czech Republic so we went and cheered for Jaromir Jagr, Dominic Hasek and the rest. Both teams were full of NHL players and it was an amazing game.

My dad and one of his friends paid the big bucks to go see the US play Russia in the semi-finals. I regret not going with him. :upset:

Having the Olympics here was a pretty awesome experience. We went downtown almost every night and just hung out. There was so many people and so much going on all the time. It was a very memorable experience.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-09-2010, 12:55 AM
I'm not too far from them, being just south of the border with Canada, but I never really had too much of an inclination to go see any of it in person. All the hassle of getting across the border and finding the right transportation to the event would be a pain. A co-worker of mine is actually going to a bobsled event or something and she's been trying to figure out how to get there.

How much I watch will depend on whether there is stuff on other channels that I want to watch. I'm a track & field guy, so I can enjoy a good race, so any event like that can be fun to watch. The only problem with the winter Olympics is that most races are not head-to-head. They should make the final event of the games a Chinese downhill race.

DarthQuack
02-12-2010, 02:42 PM
http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-features/news/newsid=412058.html#crash+kills+olympic+luger

Jesus :( he was only 21-years-old too :(

I was watching this for a few hours today too, since NBC was streaming it live from their Olympics site. :cry:

Gonna be a bit somber for the ceremonies. RIP Nodar Kumaritashvili

Mad Slanted Powers
02-13-2010, 02:31 AM
I think it was Barcelona where they had a guy light the Olympic flame with an arrow. They should have had Gretzky shoot a flaming puck!

TeeEye7
02-13-2010, 03:05 AM
They should have had Gretzky shoot a flaming puck!

OMG! How awesome would that be? :thumbsup:

pbarnard
02-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Well they had him after the inside one didn't rise, go on a truck with a flame...

El Chuxter
02-13-2010, 01:12 PM
I personally like seeing the figure skaters. Not necessarily the skating, just the skaters.

mabudonicus
03-01-2010, 12:49 PM
I am surprised that on a US-dominated forum, nobody mentioned "winning" the Silver Medal in men's hockey yesterday! USA USA USA
:beard: Iso&Baws&Topes
Oh and we won gold :D

DarthQuack
03-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Damn Canadians......Grrrrrrrr

USA played a great tournament, I personally didn't think they'd make it as far as they did.

Congrats ya hosers....

sonofsokol
03-01-2010, 02:58 PM
If you would have asked me 2 weeks ago if I would have been happy with a silver medal in Men's Ice Hockey, I would have told you a silver would be fantastic, but after beating Canada in the qualification round, I started to believe the gold was attainable. After Parise scored the goal with less than 30 seconds left, I was sure that momentum had shifted and that they'd hand Canada their second loss. Sadly, the silver now seems like a bit of a let down. I guess if you're going to lose the gold, its better to lose to Canada, but dang! Ryan Miller was a stud in every game and played like a real champion.

How'd it be to be Sid the kid??? He wins the Stanley Cup, a gold freaking medal and is a national hero... and he still lives with Mario Lemieux...

Darth Duranium
03-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Woo hoo Canada!!! 14 gold medals are great but most Canadians only really cared about the men's hockey gold, to be honest.:twisted:

Now that was one hell of a hockey game... the US never gave up until Sid The Kid's golden OT goal clinched it. Canadians never thought beating the US would be a cakewalk... and it never is. Big respect for Ryan Miller... he single-handedly stole that first game for the US by stopping 42(!) shots from Canada's best... and he was amazing last night, too. Having lost that earlier game made the win seem even sweeter... but Canadians would probably have preferred to beat someone else for gold, since the very popular Obama came into power, anyway.:) He owes our PM a beer now.

In the quarter-finals, sending Alex Ovechkin's trash-talking Russians home was an added treat. I can't stand OV and his arrogance. And can't he afford some dental work?

Our boys did really well and fought hard.:thumbsup: It's a little weird to see such blatant displays of rabid flag-waving patriotism up here, but there's no doubt that the Olympics really raised spirits.

The streets of Toronto were awash in red and white maple leafs last night, cars honking and people out celebrating the victory until dawn... I think the whole country's hung over today. I know I'm still feeling the effects! :D

Mad Slanted Powers
03-01-2010, 06:42 PM
I noticed that the Canadian hockey team had a Crosby and a Nash, but no Stills or Young. There was a Staal, though. So, Crosby, Staal and Nash should put out an album.

TeeEye7
03-02-2010, 03:30 AM
Folks in my area of SoCal are still buzzing about the game. There's no acrimony, just total respect for two teams who put on a tremendous effort!

What an awesome game! A tip of the hat to my Canadian brethren! :thumbsup:

(Ain't this the way the world SHOULD be???!!!)

Slicker
03-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Women's. Russian. Curling.

sonofsokol
03-02-2010, 04:25 PM
I can't remember where I read it, but some sportswriter somewhere was calling for the formation of a new professional sports league to be known as G.L.O.C.

Gorgeous
Ladies
of
Curling

I'd watch:love:

TeeEye7
03-03-2010, 03:17 AM
GLOC?

I have a couple of those. Oh....there's no "K" at end. Never mind.

Darth Duranium
03-03-2010, 03:03 PM
I noticed that the Canadian hockey team had a Crosby and a Nash, but no Stills or Young. There was a Staal, though. So, Crosby, Staal and Nash should put out an album.

Actually, Neil Young performed at the Closing Ceremonies, but NBC might have preempted him in the US so that stupid Seinfeld show could air.
I met him once on the street (said hi) and he was extremely friendly and nice... shook my hand, asked me where a local music store was. My wife thought he looked a little Cro-Magnon.:D

BTW, the hockey game broke a Canadian record for most viewers ever. 80% of the population (26.5 million) watched at least part of the game live!

Mad Slanted Powers
03-03-2010, 06:41 PM
I had the NBC coverage on, and did hear Neil Young play "Long May You Run." They did cut away later though.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-06-2010, 08:16 AM
I am going through Olympic withdrawl already.

The Vancouver games had some glitches, but those aside, they were a tremendously entertaining Olympics to watch. I found myself tuning into events I usually don't watch, like downhill skiing, short track, and curling.

The United States did win the medal count and picked up some medals in events they hadn't won at in years. Kudos to the USA 4 Men Bobsled Team for the country's first gold in the event in over 60 years and to the nordic combined team who won Gold and Silver despite the US never winning a medal at all in the events.

Men's hockey was the premiere event. I did get psyched thinking that Team USA might go all the way, but once Canada dispatched Russia in grand fashion, I had second thoughts. Congratulations to them for their hard work.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Congratulations to them for their hard work.Don't worry; NBC will probably have a DVD out so you can relive the magic.

I cannot comprehend the work-your-butt-off-for-4-years aspect of competition. That takes some mental skill. Most athletic activity is much more "instant" in its training-to-performance ratio, and more frequently occurs.

JimJamBonds
03-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Folks in my area of SoCal are still buzzing about the game. There's no acrimony, just total respect for two teams who put on a tremendous effort!

So people in a year round warm weather climate are buzzing about a sport that is played on ice? :p

No worries, in about 28 months the London games will be upon us.

I can't remember where I read it, but some sportswriter somewhere was calling for the formation of a new professional sports league to be known as G.L.O.C.

Gorgeous
Ladies
of
Curling

I'd watch:love:

The US women's team practiced in my neck of the woods ie. Green Bay, Wi.

TeeEye7
03-06-2010, 01:35 PM
So people in a year round warm weather climate are buzzing about a sport that is played on ice? :p

Yessiree! Our ECHL team (affiliated with the Anaheim Ducks) is most revered here. (BCJ may have other opinions about my team, though ;)). This is very much a hockey town. :thumbsup:
http://www.bakersfieldcondors.com/

I've been a hockey fan since I was a little tyke. Most kids I grew up with here never understood it. It was kind of like being the kid now days who would rather watch soccer than baseball. I was just ahead of my time! :yes:

Mad Slanted Powers
03-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Don't worry; NBC will probably have a DVD out so you can relive the magic.

I cannot comprehend the work-your-butt-off-for-4-years aspect of competition. That takes some mental skill. Most athletic activity is much more "instant" in its training-to-performance ratio, and more frequently occurs.
I think most of these sports have competitions every year, it's just that most people don't pay attention to them outside of the Olympics. It's like when I follow the track & field events in the Summer Olympics, people make a big deal about someone never having won Olympic gold, but they may have won the past two World Championships and have been ranked #1 for the past three years. So, to the average person who doesn't watch track outside of the Olympics, it looks like the person fails when it really counts, and that all that hard work was for naught. As a track fan, the World Championships are as important to me as the Olympics. They happen every other year in odd years, so with the Olympics, there is a major championship three out of every four years. The off year has the European Championships and the Commonwealth games, so a lot of countries have that to look forward to.